No announcement yet.

A Thread For Custom Figures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice job, question how did you get the wormhole to fit in the stargate? I want to do that same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by HirogenGater View Post
      Nice job, question how did you get the wormhole to fit in the stargate? I want to do that same thing.
      I didn't; the event horizon is about an inch wider than the stargate's aperture, and I just taped it to the back of the stargate. From the front, it looks like the event horizon is inside the stargate, while it's actually just behind it.

It's the first time I was glad that DST made the back of the stargate flat. Dunno if the same trick will work so well with the Atlantis gate, though!
      Coming soon to Syfy and DVD... hopefully!

Comment

Originally posted by Calhoun View Post
        I've never done a custom figure before, but after seeing some of the creations out there, I couldn't resist trying my hand at it. It's just your run-of-the-mill head swap, but I think it's turned out better than I expected.

I present to you... Colonel Dave Dixon!
        Great job! I never really liked the Serenity figures when they first came out but you've really brought out their potential.
        Rope climbing's the reason I got bronze instead of silver in the ParticipACTION programme.

Comment

I finally have my lab coat Janet!

"Rite of Passage" Variant
          (This would make more sense with a Nirrti figure)

OK, so not really, but once I saw the lab coat BSG Baltar I had to throw this together. It’s the thought that counts and my thought is why didn’t DST go the minimate route instead of the 12” Riverdance figures?
          Rope climbing's the reason I got bronze instead of silver in the ParticipACTION programme.

Comment

Haha I love minimates.

Comment

Got some time to finish up some projects this weekend >>>

First up, Just a simple Head-Swap.
              If you swap FCBD O’Neill & Blue Daniel Case Topper
              And your get -

Blue Garrison Uni Jack & Black T-Shirt Daniel

Next up is my attempt at some wire rim glasses for Daniel-

The next one took a littler longer & a little more effort
              Pigtail Vala w/Open Jacket

The open Jacket is a subtle difference, but I like how it turned out.
              If you want to see some WIP pics, peek in here:

Spoiler:

I got the Pigtails of a Buffy/Angel figure. Then I had to use an Exacto hobby knife to hack & slash her hair back and make a space for it. Superglue it in & add some putty.

After taking the jacket off I had to fill in a hole in her belly and shape up her boobs a little >

It’s a lot of work to go thru for such a small change.
              But I am very pleased with the way she turned out.

Originally posted by roll my blues View Post
              Nice haul, Norrin! I'm interested to see what you have in mind for one of the Vala figures. Qetesh perhaps?
              OOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo!
              Great Idea!
              There you go again. Adding to my list.
              Originally posted by roll my blues
              do Sam's breasts look bigger than in previous prototypes?

Comment

Hey, nice customs everyone! I love the mini-Janet, and everything that Norrin did. Question: What is it that blue Jack has in his hands? Chinese takeout? What do I have to do to get that as well? And where did Daniel steal the physics book? Awesome!

I do have another question. Since I finally figured out what bothered me about the desert figures all the time. I started to paint the dark green (what's actually the right word: blot? blotch? spot? patch?) with a lighter green and wondered why it still didn't seem "right". Then it dawned on me: The main color of the uniform is brown! If I watch closely the pictures of the real cast, even the pictures they put onto the packages, then it is a very light green, but no brown!

And the shirts worn by Jack and Sam also should be green rather than brown!

I wonder now, if I indeed should paint the whole figure, rather than only the patches - what color is the vest supposed to be? Would it still be brown or also green as the shirts? And would it actually be possible, to paint the rubber vest, or would the paint weir off?
                Funny pictures with Stargate-Actionfigures at http://dieastra.livejournal.com/

More Action Figure Theater at http://community.livejournal.com/action_tales/

Comment

Your Vala looks great Norrin. Nice to see someone else tackle a pigtail Vala.

You should try using Avalon Vala's head as well. That's what I did for my pigtail Vala way back when and I think it turned out great

Comment

Originally posted by Norrin View Post
                    GermanAstra, the chinese and the book came from the dst "angel" season 3 fred. she cmes with the chnese takeout and books, like i said to roll my blues before the buffy and angel line are great to use beacuse of the bodys and the acessories! fred is the one with the orange shirt and pigtails .
                    "Daniel?"
                    "For crying out loud!!"
                    "Roddney?"
                    "now get your ass back to work and fix those damn engines!!"

Comment

Originally posted by replicator79 View Post
                      Your Vala looks great Norrin. Nice to see someone else tackle a pigtail Vala.

You should try using Avalon Vala's head as well. That's what I did for my pigtail Vala way back when and I think it turned out great
                      I couldn't be more jealous of your Vala with pigtails if I tried. But I'm not going to try. Instead, I want to do an exact copy of it but I've never tackled anything like it. Do you have any tips, Replicator? Or perhaps a sexy walk-through?
                      CARTER: "I’m dressing up like Robin Hood, but part of my costume is missing, what have you got for me?"

HAMMOND: "You have a bow!"

Comment

Originally posted by Norrin View Post
                        Got some time to finish up some projects this weekend >>>
                        Great set of customs there, Norrin! Goes to show that we need DST to release more garrison figures. I love the way you seemlessly blended in the pigtails on Vala.

There you go again. Adding to my list.
                        Glad to be of service. Anytime.

Comment

Has anyone tried doing a leg swap? To add some individuality between Daniel and Mitchell I am debating getting a Sheppard or McKay and giving Mitchell their legs, (so he has the knee joints) - Has anyone attempted boil and pop the legs from one figure to another yet?

Blues - If I can get this to work, I may yet get my Jonas custom idea off the ground once BDU Sheppard is available!
                          Converting a human body into energy and sending it millions of light years through a wormhole. Bloody insanity!
                          Come on, how often do you get the chance to go to an alien planet?

I was a'ready on an alien planet!

- Poisoning the Well, Atlantis Season 1.

Comment

The Atlantis figures seem to have shorter legs unfortunately. I have boil and popped T'Ealc's legs off before but they are quite hard to get back in but it is doable.

Comment

Originally posted by GermanAstra View Post
                              I do have another question. Since I finally figured out what bothered me about the desert figures all the time. I started to paint the dark green (what's actually the right word: blot? blotch? spot? patch?) with a lighter green and wondered why it still didn't seem "right". Then it dawned on me: The main color of the uniform is brown! If I watch closely the pictures of the real cast, even the pictures they put onto the packages, then it is a very light green, but no brown!

And the shirts worn by Jack and Sam also should be green rather than brown!

I wonder now, if I indeed should paint the whole figure, rather than only the patches - what color is the vest supposed to be? Would it still be brown or also green as the shirts? And would it actually be possible, to paint the rubber vest, or would the paint weir off?
                              Here is a link to desert camo from Season Two's Serpent's Song. Personally, I don't remember green shirts but I could be wrong. The shirt color seems pretty close to me.

The vests also seem pretty OK (color wise) though I did repaint a black vest for my desert Sam a while back and I didn't have any issues with paint.

Originally posted by Thunderbird 2 View Post
                              Has anyone tried doing a leg swap? To add some individuality between Daniel and Mitchell I am debating getting a Sheppard or McKay and giving Mitchell their legs, (so he has the knee joints) - Has anyone attempted boil and pop the legs from one figure to another yet?

Blues - If I can get this to work, I may yet get my Jonas custom idea off the ground once BDU Sheppard is available!
                              If you’re asking about swapping legs from the waist down its pretty simple in most cases. If you’re asking about swapping out just the legs themselves, I personally haven’t attempted it.

Great idea but I had a quick look and you’re going to run into a few problems. While overall the same height as SG-1, the fellows of Atlantis have shorter legs and longer torsos. Add to that the fact that the Atlantis crew wear different pants and boots and you have a problem.

Another idea would be to use Teal’c’s legs. They’re not a perfect and they’re a bit longer so you’ll end up with a noticeably taller figure but they’re probably your best bet for bendy knees.

Not a very good pic but it should give the idea. Mismatched because those are the parts I had on hand.

*edit*
                              PS Looks like I dawdled in my post too long and nighthawk beat me to it.
                              Last edited by roll my blues; 07 April 2008, 11:53 AM. Reason: PS

Comment

Originally posted by nighthawk_77 View Post
                                The Atlantis figures seem to have shorter legs unfortunately. I have boil and popped T'Ealc's legs off before but they are quite hard to get back in but it is doable.
                                Thanks guys! - Yeah I am talking torso to legs boil and pop NOT the individual legs themselves. - I tried that in my Playmates Trek figure days - it destroys the torso piece, usually making it and the legs, unuseable.

Hm, so in theory, I could boil and pop Teal'c legs onto Mitchell's top half. If I take a section out of the legs to correct the height, in theory I could have a Mitchell using ONeill/Jackson/Mitchell/Jonas's top half, and Teal'c bottom half, creating a new combination, knocking the "stormtrooper" factor on the head. Also the positioning of Teal'c legs judging by Blues combo pic is a reasonably good match for the way Ben Browder stands. Hmm. - I have ammended my latest post in the Buy / Sell thread accordingly.

Re the Atlantis boots problem, I will be confronting that if and when I make BDU Jonas. He will use Colonel Sheppard's body overall, but he WILL have SG1's style of boots.
                                Last edited by Thunderbird 2; 07 April 2008, 12:50 PM.
                                Converting a human body into energy and sending it millions of light years through a wormhole. Bloody insanity!
                                Come on, how often do you get the chance to go to an alien planet?

I was a'ready on an alien planet!

- Poisoning the Well, Atlantis Season 1.

Comment

Working...
                                X