Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A question for any or all of the authors.

How do you end up writing an SGA/SG1 novel? Does someone contact you, vice versa, and what chance does a fan stand to submit a story? Not me, but I've seen some fan writers who are fantastic and can write novel-length stories.

Thx!

Comment

Originally posted by StevenSavile View Post
      Currently sat on a balcony in the shadow of Vesuvius watching the distant lights flicker and listening to the gentle lap of the sea about 300 feet below... and writing the final scenes of SHADOWS... now this is what I call a writing environment
      I'm VERY excited for this trilogy! I can't wait!!

Rhonda

Comment

Originally posted by Sabine Bauer View Post
        I know... Everybody, everybody, everybody! But, to quote the lovely Colin Cunningham, "Not 'everybody'! You!" Each and everyone of you guys contributed, and I'm lucky enough to know some personally, so I can direct the thanks

Hey, with any kinda luck that 10th anniversary con's gonna happen. I'll be there!

Glad you enjoyed it! And I think I'm gonna start calling you 'Elmira'... You know Animaniacs, right?

Sorry, no I don't.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by StevenSavile View Post
          Currently sat on a balcony in the shadow of Vesuvius watching the distant lights flicker and listening to the gentle lap of the sea about 300 feet below... and writing the final scenes of SHADOWS... now this is what I call a writing environment
          .....whatever brings on the inspiration to continue the thoughts.....

Comment

Okay, this is a general question I have to ask, because I said once I'd never read the novels, but now I'm giving them a chance. I tend not to read tie-ins anymore because some of the characterization in the Trek novels I've read were so off whack that I didn't recognize them.

But I love SG-1, and I decided to read these even though I was warned one of the books had a scene where Jack admires Sam's hair in the middle of a firefight. (I haven't encountered this scene in a book yet, so I have no idea what they were talking about.) And as much as I love anything about Sam, that kind of scared me. It sounds too fanficish, and I read a LOT of fanfic about Sam.

So far,actually though, I have really enjoyed the creativity involved in these books. Very cool world building. But why is it that it seems like Jack hates Daniel's guts in the few that I've read? Are most of these set in Season 5 timeperiod when Jack was telling Daniel to shut up and stuff like that? Because, for example, in "Do No Harm" (which has a terrific Janet, by the way), Jack seems to rip Daniel an new one every few pages when they have scenes together! It kind of threw me off because the show isn't really like that right before his appendix problem.

Otherwise though, I've been pleasantly surprised other than a few typos, and I'll probably go a head and read the rest. Our campus sci-fi club buys books for our little library and I plan to tell them to invest in the rest.
            sigpic Heliosphere- multi-shipper, multi-thunker

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
              A question for any or all of the authors.

How do you end up writing an SGA/SG1 novel? Does someone contact you, vice versa, and what chance does a fan stand to submit a story? Not me, but I've seen some fan writers who are fantastic and can write novel-length stories.

Thx!
              Long story short, we approach the publishers with a proposal, and if they (and MGM) like it, we're commissioned to write the novel.
              As I understand it, at the moment Fandemonium Books are only looking at submissions from professionally published writers.

Out Now:
              Stargate Universe: Air, Stargate Atlantis: Nightfall, Stargate SG-1: Relativity and Stargate Atlantis: Halcyon (from Fandemonium Books)
              Stargate SG-1: Half Life, Stargate SG-1: First Prime, Stargate Atlantis: Zero Point and Stargate SG-1: Shell Game (from Big Finish Productions)
              "Outsiders" (Stargate: The Official Magazine #20), "Choices" (Stargate: The Official Magazine #10)
              ---------------------------------------------------
              Twitter

Comment

This is somewhat off topic, in that Stargate novels are not referred to, but I thought the topic was interesting:

At SF Signal:

MIND MELD: How Do Media Tie-In Novels Affect SF/F?

There's been talk of media tie-ins lately and lots of opinions have been bandied about, so we thought we'd put it to this week's panel to weigh in:

Q: How do you think media tie-in novels affect the genre of sf/f?

Read on to see a variety of viewpoints...and be sure to tell us your opinion!

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
                SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
                Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Heh, got to love that Sean Williams lad Good and interestingly diverse opinions from writers and folk involved within the genre there, thanks for sharing it.

As to how did I get the gig, pretty much what Jim just said. I knew they were looking, so I contacted them and battered poor old Sally in to submission

Comment

I got to ask this as it's driving me nuts...being promised it and it's not happened....but is there any books on the horizon that will have Jonas Quinn in it? And not just mentioned, actually in the storyline?

I asked before and was told "yes," but that was 19 months ago.
                    Janna Galaxy, Queen of The Gods
                    The Strongest Will Survive!
                    I'll Be The One To Save Us All!

Comment

Has Hydra been pushed back in its release date? I saw amazon for Sept. 25, but then for a little while it said it would ship in Oct. Barnes and Nobles has Nov. 15 listed, and forget about Borders. They say it was released on Sept. 1, but you have to preorder it.

Comment

Sabine, just wanted to pop in and say Mirror, Mirror was great! I thought you captured all the personalities (and personalities) very well!

I especially enjoyed that Elizabeth was such a strong part of it--thanks. I always enjoyed...

Spoiler:
                        ...the John and Elizabeth connection in the show; so to see it employed here was wonderful. I really miss the character and getting to read a brand new adventure that featured her was a treat. You captured her very well.

I also really enjoyed Ronon's POV; I don't feel like we get that often enough, so it was fun digging around inside his head. His AU was incredibly intriguing.

Thanks again, and if any future Fandy authors use Elizabeth please give us a heads up! I know the Elizabeth fans would enjoy it.
                        Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

I also just finished reading Mirror Mirror. Gret read!!! I loved the pace of the book, and the way you wrote the characters. I actually felt like I learned more about them in the book, then in the show, as wierd as that may sound. Hope to see more SG-1 and SGA books from you soon!!!

Comment

My copy of Mirror Mirror has finally arrived! Yaaaaay! It's going with me on the train down to Londn this afternoon..
                            sigpic

Comment

I just got my copy of Do No Harm! Yay!

Now I just need to find the time to read it since all my time is taken up with school.
                              sigpic
                              Thank you Astra Per Aspera for the sig....... My Fan Fiction

Comment

I'm waiting on my Mirror, Mirror. The wait is killing me!
                                sigpic
                                Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Working...
                                X