This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a spa!!

Yes, folks, after weeks of renovations (following me busting some ligaments in my right wrist, but that's just a by the way) I can now sit in my spa after a long day of destroying retaining walls, and bubble away the aches.

This is all Sabine's fault, BTW. She started with the reno thing in her house, and being a copycat… After finishing with Blood Ties and a 50% of the way through my second draft of another novel (not Stargate), I spat the dummy when the head of my shower fell off, and decided that despite one arm being in a sling...okay, supposed to be in a sling...I had to have a new bathroom. One thing led to another and, well, the next thing I know I'm also rebuilding the backyard ponds (the busted right wrist was because one pond was a mess) and then moved on to the fences and retaining walls - still without a bathroom.

In the bathroom, I'm now down to needing towel rails, the mirror installed, and some grout on a decorative pebble feature behind the door. I was halfway through re-varnishing the overhead beams in the hallway (which I've now decided need to be done throughout the entire house since they look so good in the bathroom) when a carton of Blood Ties arrived in the mail!

This is the point where I discover that the plumber, tiler, and spa guys are all Stargate fans. Oh, and so is the guy from Tile Wizards, who made certain that the extra six tiles I needed were couriered in from a thousand kilometres away overnight - and they chucked in a spare box in case I needed them.

Stargate fans - man, I love you guys!

So before I go back to the real world (the ponds are finished, but the retaining walls, a fence, and the overhead beams are beckoning, and the kitchen is now on my radar) I just wanted to touch base and say I hope you all enjoy Blood Ties.

The glitch with Ronon's immunity: - as James (Swallow, not Beth's husband) pointed out, this is the nature of writing in an ongoing series: television trumps novels. What starts out to be a lose thread that appeared to be headed in one direction is discarded in favour of another thread. MGM didn’t correct this when they were editing Blood Ties, and their word is law…until the show's writers choose to reweave threads into something that suits them. We’ve stumbled over this before - Daniel’s birthday, the spelling of secondary character’s names, and Ronon’s tattoo are cases in point – and we will again.

Is it frustrating to me as a writer? Nope, interesting and challenging. Stargate started out as a relatively straightforward structure that diverged into a different structure following a different set of blueprints (I’m not going to detail the differences between Devlin and Wright’s intents) then rooms and attics, basements and corridors were added over the course of ten years (eleven now), when only three to five years were envisaged. There’s absolutely no possibility of renovating what’s become a maze within a still-growing mega-mansion. What’s amazing is that given all of this, there’s so few continuity glitches.

Maybe that’s why I’m renovating my house – displaced frustration? There’s a thesis topic there for anyone interested .

Working with the characters is a similar thing. It’s challenging and intriguing to sift through characters' actions and reverse engineer their motivations then apply those same characteristics to our stories. I personally feel that I have so much to work with in terms of complex and contradictory personality quirks that I have no desire to take them or secondary characters into offshoot worlds.

For similar reasons, I like character deaths.

I know that will be heresy to some of you, and so I should explain. As a fan, I hate character deaths and often find I’m deeply angered by them. I’ve made an emotional investment in this character, and how dare some writer sitting in a cubicle in Hollywood or Vancouver cause me such wrenching pain? But as a writer, the first thing that crosses my mind is wow, how good will this be when messing with the surviving characters’ heads? Think of all that angst we can use! Beth dealt with the emotional fallout of cumulative deaths in Sheppard’s character in Casualties of War. Carson’s death impinges on characters, and influences their behaviour, in Blood Ties. Death, especially of a major character (and this was certainly the case in Star Wars, with Han and his son) gives writers meat to play with and sets up all kinds of tensions and ripple effects. So, as a fan, I feel the same pain as other fans and throw things at the television screen, but as a writer, I rub my hands together and start imagining possibilities.

On that note, I shall leave you all to consider the ripple effects and potential new storylines following Blood Ties, and go back to ripping out the retaining wall. In the event that my laptop once more vanishes under mounds of rearranged furniture for a few weeks, Merry Christmas all, and Happy New Year!

PS, Has anyone actually seen a copy of the magazine with Jen and my short story, 'K-T'? I've been told it was published a while back, but it's like a vacuum consumed all the copies in this country.
    Sonny
    www.sonnywhitelaw.com

sigpic

Comment

Re: "glitches"

Originally posted by sonny1 View Post
      We’ve stumbled over this before - Daniel’s birthday, the spelling of secondary character’s names, and Ronon’s tattoo are cases in point – and we will again.
      <snip>
      What’s amazing is that given all of this, there’s so few continuity glitches..
      Too true. The problem with TV/Movie continuity is that no-one really expects that a franchise will go on for years and years when they start it, and by the time they realise it is, it's usually too late to impose a coherent structure on the backstory, so errors slip through (like, oh, off the top of my head, the name of Jack's son, for example).
      It's like building an inverted pyramid, really. The taller you make it, the less stable it gets. But then, I've been recently working on projects in the Star Trek and Doctor Who universes, and the complexity of continuity on those shows makes Stargate pale in comparison, so we should think ourselves lucky!

PS, Has anyone actually seen a copy of the magazine with Jen and my short story, 'K-T'? I've been told it was published a while back, but it's like a vacuum consumed all the copies in this country.
      I've sent you a back-channel PM that may help...

Out Now:
      Stargate Universe: Air, Stargate Atlantis: Nightfall, Stargate SG-1: Relativity and Stargate Atlantis: Halcyon (from Fandemonium Books)
      Stargate SG-1: Half Life, Stargate SG-1: First Prime, Stargate Atlantis: Zero Point and Stargate SG-1: Shell Game (from Big Finish Productions)
      "Outsiders" (Stargate: The Official Magazine #20), "Choices" (Stargate: The Official Magazine #10)
      ---------------------------------------------------
      Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by JMSwallow View Post
        Re: "glitches"

Too true. The problem with TV/Movie continuity is that no-one really expects that a franchise will go on for years and years when they start it, and by the time they realise it is, it's usually too late to impose a coherent structure on the backstory, so errors slip through (like, oh, off the top of my head, the name of Jack's son, for example).
        It's like building an inverted pyramid, really. The taller you make it, the less stable it gets. But then, I've been recently working on projects in the Star Trek and Doctor Who universes, and the complexity of continuity on those shows makes Stargate pale in comparison, so we should think ourselves lucky!

I've sent you a back-channel PM that may help...
        Jacks son I think was Jack Jr in the movie and Charly in the series(I like em both though so it matters not. Hey I had a Yoda moment!)

anyhow, do you writers have any tips of how to not overhelm a character with information(or overload on the whump for that matter) in terms of trying to keep the character sane? I know I'm not overly sane when it comres to writing even in fanfics, but then again, I'm not really sane even when I'm not writing... is that a good thing? my mom says it's my gift (like Teyla can sense the Wraith, I can avoid being overly sane in a need-to-sane-minute)

also if gloing from writing fanfic to starting out in the actuial published world were should I start? Not with a full book I mean, but with a short story?

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
        "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
        "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

And his son was called Tyler in McCay's books. They're an interesting read BTW. Plain and not very ground breaking but fun none-the-less. Better than McConnell's attempts at any point.

K-T tied into Roswell, yeah? It's been out a good 4 months or so, I think, Sonny.

Would you guys - authors - say you are close? I mean, I know Beth and Sonny are like some super writing duo but you seem to strike me - all of you, James and whatnot - as the kind of folk who would hang round together, go get coffee, read each others book.
          sigpic
          Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
            Would you guys - authors - say you are close? I mean, I know Beth and Sonny are like some super writing duo but you seem to strike me - all of you, James and whatnot - as the kind of folk who would hang round together, go get coffee, read each others book.
            There's usually a sense of community among most writers - put us in a room together and we'll end up griping about something and comparing war stories! - and it's been my experience that tie-in writers have a strong esprit de corps. As for my fellow Stargate authors, I've connected with a few of them here and on LiveJournal, but the only ones I've actually met IRL are Sally and Karen (and lovely they are, too). It would be cool to get the whole lot of us on a panel at a convention one day...

Out Now:
            Stargate Universe: Air, Stargate Atlantis: Nightfall, Stargate SG-1: Relativity and Stargate Atlantis: Halcyon (from Fandemonium Books)
            Stargate SG-1: Half Life, Stargate SG-1: First Prime, Stargate Atlantis: Zero Point and Stargate SG-1: Shell Game (from Big Finish Productions)
            "Outsiders" (Stargate: The Official Magazine #20), "Choices" (Stargate: The Official Magazine #10)
            Twitter

Comment

I would love to see that. I've been meaning to pop down to get autographs and talk and etc. You'll have to let us know if you're going to anything here in the UK. Speaking of Karen and Sally, haven't seen them round these parts for some time. Where they at?
              sigpic

Comment

How much do I love the phrase "super writing duo" in this context? So much. Anubis smiles on you, EAG.

If I lived in the same time zone as any of my fellow authors, I'd love to meet up and chat one of these days. Maybe a UK con will be conveniently scheduled the next time I'm in England to visit family. In any case, email is a wonderful thing. Without it, Sonny and I couldn't have developed any of the books (or even connected in the first place), gotten our work edited by Sabine or Sally, and so on. And Sonny's son likely knows me as some variant of "that American lady who sends me USAF patches." We've also been known to seek each other's input on books: I supplied a few U.S. details to Sonny and Jen for Roswell, and the list of ways Sonny and Sally improved CoW is too long to enumerate.

So yeah, for me this is as terrific a working relationship as I could have hoped, and I think corralling all of us in a coffee shop somewhere would be highly entertaining, if a bit hard on the frequent-flier mile bank.

On another level, Sonny, James, Karen and I are all members of the International Association of Media Tie-in Writers, which encompasses TV tie-ins, movie novelizations, video game novels -- anything based on a licensed property. So we chat with each other and many other authors through that group as well.
                Beth
                http://www.elizabethchristensen.com
                http://www.stargatenovels.com

Comment

I would love to see that. I've been meaning to pop down to get autographs and talk and etc. You'll have to let us know if you're going to anything here in the UK.
                  I'm hoping to do some events in '08. Meanwhile, if anyone out there would like to see Fandemonium authors at conventions, please let the organizers of your favourite events know!

Speaking of Karen and Sally, haven't seen them round these parts for some time. Where they at?
                  Right now, Karen's busy with Hammer of God (part of her new fantasy trilogy) and Do No Harm (her next SG-1 novel). Sally's busy editing, and working on a project with me and another writer that we'll be announcing soon.

Out Now:
                  Twitter

Comment

Hello all,

I'm very pleased and proud to announce that, pending the final stamp of approval from MGM, my book The Barque of Heaven will be off to the printers soon. It will be published toward the end of January next year. The lovely cover art has been finalised, as you can see below.

This book is a result of the open submissions Fandemonium held in 2004, and I was fortunate to have been asked to go ahead and write the book. It's been a very interesting and challenging venture. I'd like to thank all my friends for their invaluable assistance, and Sally at Fandemonium for having faith in me and giving me an opportunity to do something I've always dreamed of.

I've just finished proof-reading the galleys of the book (it looks real now!) and made the final corrections - apologies for any I've missed, they seem to invent themselves with every reading. I have also constructed a website with an extract from chapter one, and a few other pages with some background information that might be of interest. Other pages will be added soon.

The book is available for pre-ordering at most amazon sites and I'll add more to my website in the next weeks. Amazon UK has a very good price at the moment if you want a bargain!

Cheers,
                    Suzanne.

http://heavenlybarquings.googlepages.com/home
                    Attached Files
                    sigpic

http://hevnlybarquings.livejournal.com/
                    http://heavenlybarquings.googlepages.com/

Comment

Nice to see something from the teaser cover made it into the final cover. I hadn't realised this had come from the open submission thing. What's this, the second novel to come out of that? I think Siren's Song was the first and currently only novel out there from the submissions. I'm actually looking forward to it merely because it involves Ra. I love Ra. I just wish we'd see more of him in the SG universe.

As for buying the novel, I'll wait for Fandy to put it online like always.

Originally posted by JMSwallow View Post
                      Right now, Karen's busy with Hammer of God (part of her new fantasy trilogy) and Do No Harm (her next SG-1 novel). Sally's busy editing, and working on a project with me and another writer that we'll be announcing soon.
                      Ah, so I see. I hadn't checked the books section of SGnovels in sometime. Oddly enough, there's 3 upcoming SG1 novels on there and no Atlantis. Speaking of Atlantis novels, I wish we'd see some novels that didn't focus on the Wraith. I'd really like something different from some of these novels. Like, the Rebel Retu or Replicaters or many of the other people we've pissed off.

As for your new project, is that what you mentioned in your other thread? Is it Stargate related?
                      sigpic

Comment

As for your new project, is that what you mentioned in your other thread? Is it Stargate related?
                        Yes to both questions.

And a big round of applause for Suzanne!

Out Now:
                        Twitter

Comment

So it's a Fandemonium thing? I'm guessing it's bigger than just another novel? Are we finally get a Stargate version of Strange New Worlds as edited by James Swallow?
                          sigpic

Comment

So it's a Fandemonium thing?
                            No.
                            I'm guessing it's bigger than just another novel?
                            Yes.
                            Are we finally get a Stargate version of Strange New Worlds as edited by James Swallow?
                            No. (Although that is a cool idea...)

Out Now:
                            Twitter

Comment

Damn you! Don't tease us!! And yes, it is...feel free to mention it to Sally...;-)
                              sigpic

Comment

Damn you! Don't tease us!!
                                Heh. I'm just, y'know, building the drama... I think you guys are gonna like it, though...

And yes, it is...feel free to mention it to Sally...;-)
                                Sadly, it's my understanding that Fandemonium's current licence to produce Stargate tie-in fiction does not cover short stories, so I'd say an anthology isn't likely at the moment - but in the future, who knows? Personally, I'd love to see something like the Star Trek Strange New Worlds collections or the Doctor Who Short Trips books.

Out Now:
                                Twitter

Comment

Working...
                                X