This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gate Geek View Post
    Being a housewife most of my married life....its overrated and under appreciated anyways. Glad you didn't listen and were able to show the creature wrong.
    At the time he made the comment, I was working full time as a project manager for a government department, coaching 20 hours of gymnastics a week, raising 3 of my own kids, fostering about 40 other kids on and off and writing a novel.

I believe his complaint was really that he wasn't being waited on in the manner to which he wished to become accustomed.
    Jennifer Fallon
    www.jenniferfallon.com

sigpic

Comment

Have any of you ever encountered such a negative influence when it came to writing or were all readily supported and pushed along in your endeavors?
      A bit of both, really. I'm lucky that my family and friends are very supportive of what I do, and that's something that helps keep me up on the down days.
      But at the same time, I've had my share of negative comments - mostly from people who nothing about writing, but seem to think that because they can write a shopping list, they can tell me how to do my job!

There are two negatives that have always stuck with me. One was a person who once told me "All that fantasy is never going to earn you a living". The other was the mother of an ex-girlfriend who, when learning of my ideals to become a writer, looked down her nose and told me "Well, we all have to grow up sometime."

Years later, and here I am doing well as a full time novelist.

Out Now:
      Stargate Universe: Air, Stargate Atlantis: Nightfall, Stargate SG-1: Relativity and Stargate Atlantis: Halcyon (from Fandemonium Books)
      Stargate SG-1: Half Life, Stargate SG-1: First Prime, Stargate Atlantis: Zero Point and Stargate SG-1: Shell Game (from Big Finish Productions)
      "Outsiders" (Stargate: The Official Magazine #20), "Choices" (Stargate: The Official Magazine #10)
      ---------------------------------------------------
      Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by JMSwallow View Post
        A bit of both, really. I'm lucky that my family and friends are very supportive of what I do, and that's something that helps keep me up on the down days.
        But at the same time, I've had my share of negative comments - mostly from people who nothing about writing, but seem to think that because they can write a shopping list, they can tell me how to do my job!

There are two negatives that have always stuck with me. One was a person who once told me "All that fantasy is never going to earn you a living". The other was the mother of an ex-girlfriend who, when learning of my ideals to become a writer, looked down her nose and told me "Well, we all have to grow up sometime."

Years later, and here I am doing well as a full time novelist.
        When Chris Claremont was earing a healthy living writing Marvel's best selling comic and was an international celeb on the comics circuit, his mum still wanted to know when he was going to get 'a proper job'.

FF
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jennifer Fallon View Post
          At the time he made the comment, I was working full time as a project manager for a government department, coaching 20 hours of gymnastics a week, raising 3 of my own kids, fostering about 40 other kids on and off and writing a novel.

I believe his complaint was really that he wasn't being waited on in the manner to which he wished to become accustomed.

Holy Carp girl!! I'm in awe! And gymnastics?? Man I misss tumbling around.................
          sigpic

Comment

General question to all authors..............

I took an expositiory writing class in high school eons ago. After turning my first paper in, the teacher told me that there was no way in hell this class would ever help my writing skills and that I was really wasting my time (and hers). To this day, I don't bother to write anything unless it is required.

Have any of you ever encountered such a negative influence when it came to writing or were all readily supported and pushed along in your endeavors?
            Funny, I thought high school English teachers were paid to ... you know, teach. (Is anyone else thinking of Rodney's piano teacher?)

I've never thought of writing as being a fully inborn talent. Maybe some people's minds are better geared for it than others, but the basic rules can be learned just as multiplication tables can be learned (well, it may not be quite that simple; English is an awfully chaotic language) and overall style techniques can be developed. If someone wants to learn to write better, it can be done. Provided the teacher is willing to actually do his/her job.

So, to anyone who's been discouraged in such a manner: look elsewhere for advice.

My dad majored in journalism and works in advertising; he used to take a red pen to everything I brought home from school. Not my work -- the school's newsletters and permission slips. So my grammar-stickler tendencies are partially hereditary and partially learned by osmosis. I've been very fortunate in that my parents always told me I could do whatever I wanted. Dad told me not too long ago that he was almost relieved when I told him about the Stargate novels, because he really thought I could write and was afraid that I'd given it up when I went to college for engineering. (Which was very nearly true, since engineers are hardly known for their communication skills.)

On another note: I had a terrific time at the Chicago con this weekend. Many thanks to everyone who stopped by and/or bought a book! My 25 copies of CoW were gone inside an hour. If I'd known a week ago that I would have the market cornered for a while, I would have brought a LOT more. All my other copies were gone by noon on Sunday, and I'm pretty sure I didn't make a fool of myself on stage, so I'm calling it a successful weekend. GG, your friend came through for you; she got there almost at the start. Hope the book lives up to expectations!
            Beth
            http://www.elizabethchristensen.com
            http://www.stargatenovels.com

Comment

SQUEEEE!!!! THanks Elizabeth for the heads up about my book. I have not heard from my friend yet. I'm assuming she's probably not back from Chicago yet.

So, how did you know which fanatic was my friend? I don't think I told you did I?

At your dad correcting papers sent home from school. Grammar is not one area I excelled at. Good thing my job requires more speaking than writing.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Christensen View Post
                On another note: I had a terrific time at the Chicago con this weekend. Many thanks to everyone who stopped by and/or bought a book! My 25 copies of CoW were gone inside an hour. If I'd known a week ago that I would have the market cornered for a while, I would have brought a LOT more. All my other copies were gone by noon on Sunday, and I'm pretty sure I didn't make a fool of myself on stage, so I'm calling it a successful weekend. GG, your friend came through for you; she got there almost at the start. Hope the book lives up to expectations!
                You were wonderful on stage!

It was really great getting to meet and talk with you and your husband! Thanks for taking the time to be there. I really enjoyed talking with you. I started reading Exogenesis on my way home and I am over 2/3's done. I love the book! You and Sonny make a great team!!!
                Gonna start CoW this weekend!
                sigpic

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Comment

SQUEEEE!!!! THanks Elizabeth for the heads up about my book. I have not heard from my friend yet. I'm assuming she's probably not back from Chicago yet.

So, how did you know which fanatic was my friend? I don't think I told you did I?
                  My pleasure. No, you didn't tell me. When someone bought two CoWs and said, "One of these is for me and one is for my friend," I just had to ask: "That friend wouldn't happen to be Gate Geek on GateWorld, would she?"

Originally posted by Rosehawk View Post
                  You were wonderful on stage!

It was really great getting to meet and talk with you and your husband! Thanks for taking the time to be there. I really enjoyed talking with you. I started reading Exogenesis on my way home and I am over 2/3's done. I love the book! You and Sonny make a great team!!!
                  Gonna start CoW this weekend!
                  Awww! Thanks a bunch! Believe me, I enjoyed it as well. It's nice to be able to put faces with a few GW names.
                  Beth

Comment

My pleasure. No, you didn't tell me. When someone bought two CoWs and said, "One of these is for me and one is for my friend," I just had to ask: "That friend wouldn't happen to be Gate Geek on GateWorld, would she?"

Awww! Thanks a bunch! Believe me, I enjoyed it as well. It's nice to be able to put faces with a few GW names.

See, all the more reason to come to the NJ Con.
                    sigpic

Comment

See, all the more reason to come to the NJ Con.
                      Believe it or not, while bored at work today, I actually checked Expedia for plane tickets to Newark. Problem is, I think that event overlaps with a conference I have to attend. Some other time ...
                      Beth

Comment

Believe it or not, while bored at work today, I actually checked Expedia for plane tickets to Newark. Problem is, I think that event overlaps with a conference I have to attend. Some other time ...

Well, I'll give you extra points just for looking! Heck, there is always another Con another time.

So did you get any pixs form Chicago?
                        sigpic

Comment

So did you get any pixs form Chicago?
                          We got a couple on our camera, but they're a little blurry because James didn't want to use the flash in the main room. My friend Laurel, on the other hand, unashamedly took a ton of pictures; she was totally being a stage mom on Saturday. Hopefully she'll get them uploaded soon so I can use 'em -- I'll give her a couple of days before I whine for them ...
                          Beth

Comment

Just finished readying Exogenesis!

Wonderful book! Really liked it and just love Zelenka in it!

Will be starting CoW tomorrow!

Just wanted to say once again, how much fun it was meeting you (Elizabeth Christensen) last weekend in Chicago!

sigpic

Comment

Hey Elizabeth,

I am almost done reading Casualties of War, just have the last 30 pages to go which because of RL will have to wait until tomorrow. Really like the book alot! Some really nice Sheppard/McKay moments!
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rosehawk View Post
                                Hey Elizabeth,

I am almost done reading Casualties of War, just have the last 30 pages to go which because of RL will have to wait until tomorrow. Really like the book alot! Some really nice Sheppard/McKay moments!
                                Hi there -- thanks so much for the comments on both CoW and Exo! They're terrific to hear (or rather 'read'). I'll keep this short before Internet Explorer crashes on me again; for some reason GW and my computer aren't seeing eye to eye at the moment ... <insert Rodney-smashing-computer smiley here>
                                Beth

Comment

Working...
                                X