X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JMSwallow View Post
    Thanks for all the kind comments...

Once the proofs are all sorted, I'll see what I can do.

In the meantime, following a tradition started by Doctor Who's Russel T. Davies, I'll tell you that the book has the following three words in it: "Cheese", "Peripatetic" and "Dad".

Well, I hope it's at least cheese from Wisconsin.
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks for all those thoroughly answers, Elizabeth, Suzanne and Jennifer! I only can repeat that it is great to have a place to talk about the art of writing.

Originally posted by Elizabeth Christensen View Post
      I think fanfiction is a terrific thing for fandom. It allows readers to see the shows in new and unique ways and allows each individual writer to portray the characters the way he/she chooses.
      Plus, it is responsible that I’m able to write and speak without difficulties in a language that is not my own these days. It’s the best way to learn while reading something you enjoy! And since I just wanted to know whether or not Jack would make it out of some pretty harsh situations I just had to struggle to read on. And I caught some very special phrases along the way!

I never did write anything fictional myself before “Stargate” came along. I loved to read books excessively but I only used to write about own experiences, like my travel to California and such. But I used to paint and draw a lot, also. And I recognize now the same feeling I often had back then: That sometimes there is something inside you that just has to come out, no matter what.

I always encourage my friends that they should not write to please the readers but only to please themselves.

Originally posted by Suzanne Wood View Post
      As you say, there are only a finite number of tales to be told - seven, I think is the number. Christopher Booker's book The Seven Basic Plots is a fascinating read. (And what a great name for a writer).
      Only seven? That is indeed not much! I think I should check out that book, sounds very interesting. And indeed, what a name for a writer! What else could he have become with it, anyway?

Oh, and congratulations Suzanne, I saw you got your title!

Originally posted by Jennifer Fallon View Post
      [*]As GermanAstra says, I am sure there is some very good fanfic out there. And I'd bet the soul of my firstborn that there is also some appalingly bad stuff out there, too. Unfortunately, until you're reading it, there's no way to tell the difference.
      I can assure you, there is bad stuff also. A lot. Usually I can tell within the first few paragraphs, though. I do have a list of author’s names where I know that just everything they write is very good and I can trust them blindly. My friends and me also use to recommend to each other when we found something special that’s worth keeping.

Now that the series has ended fanfiction is just a way for me to have a little bit of “Stargate” in my life every day, and I hope that it will never end. The only fear I have that there is the one and only wonderful story out there and I haven’t found it yet, so I search on and on… Yes, I admit it, I’m addicted.

I can understand the lack of time to be a heavily issue for not reading, of course. And that you don’t want to see any letters for a while after spending the whole day with them already. I guess it’s the same thing like a baker that doesn’t want to eat any cake since he smells it every day.

And it is one of the reasons why I do not want to become a professional author either. Not that I ever would think of myself being capable of it.

I think we all know how much hard work you put into your books until they are finished. And I can imagine that it is a great feeling when finally seeing the outcome!
      Last edited by GermanAstra; 10 August 2007, 03:46 AM.
      Funny pictures with Stargate-Actionfigures at http://dieastra.livejournal.com/

More Action Figure Theater at http://community.livejournal.com/action_tales/

Comment

Originally posted by JMSwallow View Post
        Thanks, I'm really pleased with it!
        Now...that's just pretty. Now I must get back into SG1 mood. Lol been out of it a little recently. Still got two novels to read! Three if you count Resistance.
        sigpic
        Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

ROFL..... You are kidding, right?

I have 5 words for you... Season 4, Divide and Conquer
          And then Window of Opportunity (when O'Neill siezed his )

Not a fan of it myself, but I can't bring myself to go into denial

(besides, de Nile's full of crocs)
          scarimor

Comment

But you raise a very good point, Jaymach. I think we should all get together, the authors, the writers, the RPG designers, the comic book illustrators and writers and the shows' writers, (not to mention the actors) and have a month in a resort in somewhere like Hawaii, so we can get our stories straight.

What about it, guys? Should we email MGM?
            Seconded! (That smiley is red-faced due to sunburn, not embarrassment.)

Oh, and the lovely Casualties cover is now posted. GG and Alipeeps, don't despair because Shep's not front and center; I think Elizabeth has a bigger role in this book than she's had in the other books so far, so that's why she's somewhat showcased in the artwork. I'm just pleased that there's an actual Stargate on the cover -- it's the first of my three covers to have one, so now certain SG-novice members of my family will finally know what a gate looks like.
            Beth
            http://www.elizabethchristensen.com
            http://www.stargatenovels.com

Comment

Originally posted by gilthoniel View Post
              Well your canon may include O'Neill internally rhapsodising about the moon shining on Carter's hair but nothing I've ever seen on the screen suggests anything of the sort. It does tend to induce my gag reflex however...

In any case, I'll be buying the Barque of Heaven, thanks to Ms Wood's kind assurances but from previous answers the James Swallow title is definitely not on the shopping list. So I guess this thread is useful after all.
              Well I guess all those times I fervently believed he was internally rhapsodizing about the moon shining on Carter’s hair he could well have been internally rhapsodizing about beer…

Each to their own is my motto… I guess we all enjoy different aspects of the show and the novels and it’s nice if we can all be happy!

DON’T YOU SMILE AT ME LIKE THAT! THAT’S NOT EVEN A REAL SMILE! IT’S JUST A BUNCH OF TEETH PLAYING WITH MY MIND! Sig courtesy of AmberMoon… kneel before your God!

WWW.SUPERNANNY.US.COM. Log on. Or it’s the naughty chair for you.

Comment

ROFL..... You are kidding, right?

I have 5 words for you... Season 4, Divide and Conquer
                I think we have now established that O’Neill was internally rhapsodizing about beer all along. He wouldn’t leave her because it was her round.

DON’T YOU SMILE AT ME LIKE THAT! THAT’S NOT EVEN A REAL SMILE! IT’S JUST A BUNCH OF TEETH PLAYING WITH MY MIND! Sig courtesy of AmberMoon… kneel before your God!

WWW.SUPERNANNY.US.COM. Log on. Or it’s the naughty chair for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Katkin View Post
                  I think we have now established that O’Neill was internally rhapsodizing about beer all along. He wouldn’t leave her because it was her round.
                  lolol! He cares about that Duff a lot "more than he's supposed too".
                  scarimor

Comment

I like the new covers (Relativity and CoW).

Just out of curiosity, do either of you know who's in the little box on the spine?

Comment

Originally posted by Naonak View Post

Just out of curiosity, do either of you know who's in the little box on the spine?
                      Sure do! On CoW, it's Ronon.

Also, Katkin and scarimor, you make an excellent comedy duo. The beer comments were perfect.
                      Beth

Comment

Seconded! (That smiley is red-faced due to sunburn, not embarrassment.)

Oh, and the lovely Casualties cover is now posted. GG and Alipeeps, don't despair because Shep's not front and center; I think Elizabeth has a bigger role in this book than she's had in the other books so far, so that's why she's somewhat showcased in the artwork. I'm just pleased that there's an actual Stargate on the cover -- it's the first of my three covers to have one, so now certain SG-novice members of my family will finally know what a gate looks like.
                        I like the cover. while not a BIG fan of Weir, it's nice to see her front and center instead of all but being ignored.

Is CoW still on target for it's September release???
                        sigpic

Comment

So are you saying that even though Shep isn't front and center, he's still central? GG and Alipeeps can vouch for me in my quest for front and center Shep
                          sigpic
                          Read about my SGA set visit at My LiveJournal - June 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Salty View Post
                            So are you saying that even though Shep isn't front and center, he's still central? GG and Alipeeps can vouch for me in my quest for front and center Shep
                            Can't say I blame you. If I had to rank the most central characters in CoW, I'd probably say 1) John; 2) Elizabeth; 3) Ronon. But it's awfully close, and there's certainly plenty of Teyla and Rodney as well, along with Carson, Radek and Lorne. Even Cadman and Miko have cameos. Possibly the only recurring character I didn't name-check was Chucknician. (Kidding. Katie Brown, for instance, doesn't appear; you'll have to wait until Blood Ties to see her.)

Originally posted by Gate Geek View Post
                            Is CoW still on target for it's September release???
                            As far as I know -- it's been printed, so there's nothing (that I know of) to hold it up at this point. Of course, the moment I say that, Murphy's likely to pop up and smack me, so maybe I'll just be quiet now and try not to anger the publishing deities ...
                            Beth

Comment

Can't say I blame you. If I had to rank the most central characters in CoW, I'd probably say 1) John; 2) Elizabeth; 3) Ronon. But it's awfully close, and there's certainly plenty of Teyla and Rodney as well, along with Carson, Radek and Lorne. Even Cadman and Miko have cameos. Possibly the only recurring character I didn't name-check was Chucknician. (Kidding. Katie Brown, for instance, doesn't appear; you'll have to wait until Blood Ties to see her.)

As far as I know -- it's been printed, so there's nothing (that I know of) to hold it up at this point. Of course, the moment I say that, Murphy's likely to pop up and smack me, so maybe I'll just be quiet now and try not to anger the publishing deities ...
                              PLEASE!! don't anger the publishing dieties!! I sooo need this book. NOW!
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Naonak View Post

O'Neill on Relativity.

Out Now:
                                Stargate Universe: Air, Stargate Atlantis: Nightfall, Stargate SG-1: Relativity and Stargate Atlantis: Halcyon (from Fandemonium Books)
                                Stargate SG-1: Half Life, Stargate SG-1: First Prime, Stargate Atlantis: Zero Point and Stargate SG-1: Shell Game (from Big Finish Productions)
                                "Outsiders" (Stargate: The Official Magazine #20), "Choices" (Stargate: The Official Magazine #10)
                                ---------------------------------------------------
                                Twitter

Comment

Working...
                                X