X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JMSwallow View Post
    ...have now been approved by MGM.

Pop over to my blog Here to learn more (and bring a lead vest).

Woo Hoo! Love the cover, James! No doubt inspired by a brilliant story.

Sonny
    Sonny
    www.sonnywhitelaw.com

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gilthoniel View Post
      ...but from previous answers the James Swallow title is definitely not on the shopping list.
      Was it something I said?

Out Now:
      Stargate Universe: Air, Stargate Atlantis: Nightfall, Stargate SG-1: Relativity and Stargate Atlantis: Halcyon (from Fandemonium Books)
      Stargate SG-1: Half Life, Stargate SG-1: First Prime, Stargate Atlantis: Zero Point and Stargate SG-1: Shell Game (from Big Finish Productions)
      "Outsiders" (Stargate: The Official Magazine #20), "Choices" (Stargate: The Official Magazine #10)
      ---------------------------------------------------
      Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by sonny1 View Post
        Woo Hoo! Love the cover, James! No doubt inspired by a brilliant story.
        Thanks, I'm really pleased with it!

Out Now:
        Stargate Universe: Air, Stargate Atlantis: Nightfall, Stargate SG-1: Relativity and Stargate Atlantis: Halcyon (from Fandemonium Books)
        Stargate SG-1: Half Life, Stargate SG-1: First Prime, Stargate Atlantis: Zero Point and Stargate SG-1: Shell Game (from Big Finish Productions)
        "Outsiders" (Stargate: The Official Magazine #20), "Choices" (Stargate: The Official Magazine #10)
        Twitter

Comment

Mr J... I love the cover!! Nothing like explosions to get the blood flowing in the morning!

So when can we expect an excerpt (other than the back cover blurb)?? Hm???
          sigpic

Comment

Nothing quite like starting the day with a mushroom cloud...

Very nice cover, James
            Jennifer Fallon
            www.jenniferfallon.com

sigpic

Comment

It does tend to induce my gag reflex however...
              For an SF writer, a visceral response is the highest compliment. And on my birthday, too! My day's been made - thank you
              Sonny
              www.sonnywhitelaw.com

sigpic

Comment

So I guess this thread is useful after all.
                Yeah, I'm finding that, too. Writing up my responses to your birthday query, I discussed the time travel birthday idea with a group of 150 grade 6 students at school (I was giving a talk on extinct Pleistocene megafauna and my time travelling hero in the story). It's amazing how much kids these days latch onto concepts so much faster than adults.

Sonny
                Last edited by sonny1; 09 August 2007, 12:56 PM. Reason: misplaced letter 'd'
                Sonny
                www.sonnywhitelaw.com

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GermanAstra View Post
                  But it isn't actually forbidden to do so? I'm asking since I know that the authors of the series are forbidden to read any fanfiction. Apparently they fear that someone would accuse them of stealing their idea and want to avoid that.
                  We don't have anything in our contracts that prohibits us from reading fanfiction, no. Anybody can bring a lawsuit for anything, though, so my personal take on it is very similar to Sonny's -- best to steer clear of anything that might open the door to a complaint about idea-swiping. GermanAstra, your take on the spectrum of possible plot ideas is a very sensible one; I just don't trust that everyone else out there shares it.

I've made a couple of exceptions so that I could proofread the stories of friends who happen to also be SG fans and who understand the situation -- but those stories were set in SG-1, whereas I write exclusively (so far, anyway) in SGA. For whatever that distinction's worth.

That said, I think fanfiction is a terrific thing for fandom. It allows readers to see the shows in new and unique ways and allows each individual writer to portray the characters the way he/she chooses. Of course, as in any aspect of a fandom, people will have a range of opinions about nearly every detail of the universe (as exemplified by recent posts ...)

P.S. Kickin' cover, James! Oh, hey, that reminds me: need to post the CoW cover one of these days, since it's gone to print.
                  <glances over at husband/webmaster, who's immersed in a game>
                  Um, coming soon. I promise.
                  Beth
                  http://www.elizabethchristensen.com
                  http://www.stargatenovels.com

Comment

Hmm. Okay, now kick hubby off CoH and put him to work! I need to see this cover!
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GermanAstra View Post
                      But it isn't actually forbidden to do so? I'm asking since I know that the authors of the series are forbidden to read any fanfiction. Apparently they fear that someone would accuse them of stealing their idea and want to avoid that.

Because there IS very good stuff out there.
                      Heavens, no, no one can forbid anyone to read anything, as long as you're an adult and it's not the Anarchist's Cookbook. That's one of those basic human rights things. Seriously, I consider reading as an essential tool for any writer. It's a fantastic way to broaden your horizons and learn how others are treating new and old ideas. As you say, there are only a finite number of tales to be told - seven, I think is the number. Christopher Booker's book The Seven Basic Plots is a fascinating read. (And what a great name for a writer).

Yes, I read fic, along with crime, fantasy, scifi, nautical mysteries, treasured novels from my childhood, history, and anything else that takes my fancy. As far as leaving one's self open to claims of plagiarism - it's the age old story. What ever you come up with, someone has thought of something similar before. Look at JK Rowling. The second Harry became popular she was deluged with lawsuits. As long as you know in your heart that your work is your own, you're pretty safe. And it's impossible to write in a vacuum.

There certainly is very good stuff out there!

Suzanne.
                      sigpic

http://hevnlybarquings.livejournal.com/
                      http://heavenlybarquings.googlepages.com/

Comment

Oh, very nice cover, James.

Suzanne.
                        sigpic

http://hevnlybarquings.livejournal.com/
                        http://heavenlybarquings.googlepages.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Christensen View Post
                          We don't have anything in our contracts that prohibits us from reading fanfiction, no. Anybody can bring a lawsuit for anything, though, so my personal take on it is very similar to Sonny's -- best to steer clear of anything that might open the door to a complaint about idea-swiping. GermanAstra, your take on the spectrum of possible plot ideas is a very sensible one; I just don't trust that everyone else out there shares it.

I've made a couple of exceptions so that I could proofread the stories of friends who happen to also be SG fans and who understand the situation -- but those stories were set in SG-1, whereas I write exclusively (so far, anyway) in SGA. For whatever that distinction's worth.

That said, I think fanfiction is a terrific thing for fandom. It allows readers to see the shows in new and unique ways and allows each individual writer to portray the characters the way he/she chooses. Of course, as in any aspect of a fandom, people will have a range of opinions about nearly every detail of the universe (as exemplified by recent posts ...)

P.S. Kickin' cover, James! Oh, hey, that reminds me: need to post the CoW cover one of these days, since it's gone to print.
                          <glances over at husband/webmaster, who's immersed in a game>
                          Um, coming soon. I promise.

I think hubby should cater to his wife's needs and get that cover posted. Now!
                          sigpic

Comment

Well your canon may include O'Neill internally rhapsodising about the moon shining on Carter's hair but nothing I've ever seen on the screen suggests anything of the sort.
                            ROFL..... You are kidding, right?

I have 5 words for you... Season 4, Divide and Conquer
                            Jennifer Fallon
                            www.jenniferfallon.com

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jaymach View Post
                              This is just an open question for all the author's that post in this thread...

As either fans or authors, do any of you read the other Stargate literature that's available outside of the Fandemonium novels? Stuff like the other novels, comics, roleplaying material, or DVD Collection Magazines? I ask this purely because other sources also contain vast amounts of information on the Stargate universe (especially the RPG stuff) and so I'd hate to see contradictions between the novels and other sources, like I found with the comics (Phobos in this case).

Also, if not, why not? Is it simply a time thing, a lack of interest, or other reasons?
                              The reasons I don't read other stuff relating to Stargate...
                              1. When I was first approached to become involved in writing Stargate Tie-ins, I asked straight-out what I could use as canon and got a very straight answer - The TV series, the whole TV series and nothing but the TV series. (I have a friend who writes for Star Wars, btw. They're given a pretty book with all the rules. About the size of a phonebook, it is, I hear...LOL)
                              2. As GermanAstra says, I am sure there is some very good fanfic out there. And I'd bet the soul of my firstborn that there is also some appalingly bad stuff out there, too. Unfortunately, until you're reading it, there's no way to tell the difference. Which leads me to my next point...
                              3. I don't have the time. My day job is also writing and I'm working under some fairly tight deadlines. I write (and read and re-read and edit and double check things) all day long. Reading for me is a bit of a busman's holiday, these days, the only downside of my otherwise fabulous job. If I want to do something for fun, it doesn't involve reading, and as we can't use any other references in the novels, I have no reason to look at fanfic while I'm working.
                              4. I don't have the DVD Fanfic magazines. By the time they came out, I had the whole series on DVD anyway.
                              5. RPGs... See point 3. This is an activity for people who have spare time. I am only vaguely aware of the concept. I hear some people have lots of it. Do you know where I can buy some?
                              6. Comics. I haven't read a comic since a friend coughed up for the Firefly special editions that came out a few years ago. I read them, cover to cover, in about 5 mins flat and then asked, now what? Comics are the Chinese Takeaway of fandom. Too soon after you've had them, you're hungry for more. When they bring out 200 page SG1 graphic novel in full colour, I might start reading them then. If I have the time.
                              But you raise a very good point, Jaymach. I think we should all get together, the authors, the writers, the RPG designers, the comic book illustrators and writers and the shows' writers, (not to mention the actors) and have a month in a resort in somewhere like Hawaii, so we can get our stories straight.

What about it, guys? Should we email MGM?
                              Jennifer Fallon
                              www.jenniferfallon.com

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for all the kind comments...

Originally posted by Gate Geek View Post
                                So when can we expect an excerpt (other than the back cover blurb)?? Hm???
                                Once the proofs are all sorted, I'll see what I can do.

In the meantime, following a tradition started by Doctor Who's Russel T. Davies, I'll tell you that the book has the following three words in it: "Cheese", "Peripatetic" and "Dad".

Out Now:
                                Twitter

Comment

Working...
                                X