Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got all of the books so far and loved reading them all and I am currently reading Roswell.

Keep up the great work!
    sigpic
    Thanks to Copter for the Sig and Avi!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jennifer Fallon View Post
      Ok, they say timing is everything, so how spooky is this. Sonny and I were alerted today by a friend of the following article regarding Roswell:
      Roswell aliens theory revived by deathbed confession

From correspondents in Washington
      July 01, 2007 12:30am

Article from:
      • Roswell PR officer dies, releasing sworn affadavit
      • Claims alien story true, saw bodies
      • UFO pieces handed around at high-level meeting
      EXACTLY 60 years ago, a light aircraft was flying over the Cascade Mountains in Washington State, at a height of around 3000m.

He described seeing not just the craft, but alien bodies...

You can read the full article here.

Spooky timing or what?
      There was a similar story in The Daily Mail (UK) the other day too.
      sigpic

Comment

Will there be any novels about the background of characters? Sorta along the line how "Mosaic" by Jeri Taylor was about the life of Kathryn Janeway?

Comment

Originally posted by Suzotchka View Post
          Will there be any novels about the background of characters? Sorta along the line how "Mosaic" by Jeri Taylor was about the life of Kathryn Janeway?
          Hi Suzotchka,

I recall having this discussion with the editor and publisher a couple of years back, and the concept of character back stories was on the table at the time, but I'm not sure if it ever progressed. Part of the reason why it may have been back-burnered is that while the Stargate universe continues, creating backgrounds about characters that reach beyond what's already known, is problematic. This because the show's writers may need, for the purposes of storytelling, to create a different background at some point in the future.

Having said that, I, my co-author, Beth Christensen, and several other Stargate authors including Sabine C. Bauer and Sally Malcolm, have unwrapped something of the backgrounds of the main characters in order to drive the stories we've written. Character motivation is a huge driving force in all story telling. As a writer, one of the most interesting tasks has been to reverse-engineer these characters to understand why they are as they are, and in so doing, know how they will react or what they are likely to think or say under certain circumstances. Sometimes what we discover about them is very surprising and although not always to everyone's liking, fits with the overall character continuity.

cheers
          Sonny
          www.sonnywhitelaw.com

sigpic

Comment

Hello all
            I've just discovered this thread. What a great idea.

Anyway I just wanted to come in to mainly leave a message for Sonny and Elizabeth. I recently finished reading 'Exogenesis'. I thought it was brilliant Definitely the best of the SGA books so far. I thought the story was great and there was never a dull moment.
            I loved how all the characters, even Zelenka and Lorne, had quite big parts to play. I really enjoyed Rodney's part of the story. That sweet side of Rodney is something that isn't really shown enough in the series, but everyone knows it is there, so it was great to be able to read that. I have to admit I was close to tears nearing the end. So very moving and emotional.
            I also liked to read the conflict between John and Elizabeth, and then the scene at the end when they express how much they respect each other. I really enjoyed reading that. Oh and I also liked how Elizabeth was prepared to sacrifice herself in the end if it came down to it. I really believe she would do that and that's a side of her character I wish we'd see more of in the show, the fact that she really would do anything for this expedition.

When I finished reading it I gave it to my mum to read. She really loved it as well. She is a big fan of Rodney, so she loved his part of the story.

I'm now really looking forward to reading 'Blood Ties' and 'Casualties of War'. I read on Amazon that 'Casualties' is going to focus some what on Sheppard and Weir, and their struggles and stuff. Sounds great I love those two, so I'm eagerly anticipating that one.

I don't really have any questions. I just wanted to come in and worship

livejournal l My Heroes l Shep l Elizabeth l Rodney l Michael l Smile!
            ~You are who you choose to be~

Comment

Originally posted by SazZat View Post
              Anyway I just wanted to come in to mainly leave a message for Sonny and Elizabeth. I recently finished reading 'Exogenesis'. I thought it was brilliant Definitely the best of the SGA books so far. I thought the story was great and there was never a dull moment.
              I loved how all the characters, even Zelenka and Lorne, had quite big parts to play.
              Hi there -- thanks very much! Sonny and I had a blast working on Exo, because we got to do a little of everything. The Rodney-centric stuff was mostly her doing; the Shep-centric stuff was mostly mine.

It's great to hear that you like seeing the recurring characters, because both Zelenka and Lorne will play decent-sized roles in Casualties of War and Blood Ties as well. Heck, even Cadman gets a scene in Casualties.

Originally posted by SazZat View Post
              I'm now really looking forward to reading 'Blood Ties' and 'Casualties of War'. I read on Amazon that 'Casualties' is going to focus some what on Sheppard and Weir, and their struggles and stuff. Sounds great I love those two, so I'm eagerly anticipating that one.

I don't really have any questions. I just wanted to come in and worship
              You'll get no objections here! I set out on Casualties with the intention of putting Sheppard under the microscope, but as the story evolved it turned out to be a good opportunity for an examination of Weir as well; how she views her role and her performance.

Piggybacking on Sonny's response to Suzotchka (eek, did I spell that right?): I would dearly love to be able to write a "prequel" book dealing with Sheppard's early Air Force career. If that type of book is ever going to happen, though, it will have to be after the franchise has well and truly wrapped -- because the producers and writers of the series/movies/etc need to have the flexibility to go wherever they choose with the characters on screen. They're the true architects of the characters; we're just playing in their sandbox.

Example: I personally don't see Shep as an Academy grad, for instance; he doesn't really fit the mold of the AFA alums I've known. But that's just my opinion, and the showrunners may see him differently. If I write a book that instead refers to his ROTC days at Texas A&M (doubtful), or Florida (hi, tsaxlady), or Ohio State (please, God, not that one), and then the series needs him to have had strong ties with an Academy classmate ... well, there goes our attempt to keep canon.

So, long story short -- I know, too late -- for now, we'll take the characters as far as we can with general observations extrapolated from canon. As far as backstory books that fill in specific blanks, maybe someday ... but I'm not hoping for that yet, because there's plenty of life left in these characters on screen.
              Beth
              http://www.elizabethchristensen.com
              http://www.stargatenovels.com

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Christensen View Post
                Example: I personally don't see Shep as an Academy grad, for instance; he doesn't really fit the mold of the AFA alums I've known. But that's just my opinion, and the showrunners may see him differently. If I write a book that instead refers to his ROTC days at Texas A&M (doubtful), or Florida (hi, tsaxlady), or Ohio State (please, God, not that one), and then the series needs him to have had strong ties with an Academy classmate ... well, there goes our attempt to keep canon.

LOL - Well you know it's because of all his years in the humidity of the swamp that the hair sticks up
                My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Oh good Lord, Roswell is confusing. It must be a ***** writing timetravel technobabble.
                  sigpic
                  Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
                    Oh good Lord, Roswell is confusing. It must be a ***** writing timetravel technobabble.
                    Not sure what you mean but am happy to answer any specific questions on the Roswell/Unending thread, so as to keep this one spoiler free.

cheers
                    Sonny
                    www.sonnywhitelaw.com

sigpic

Comment

I'm reading Roswell at the moment and the technobabble and time travel isn't confusing me, yet. lol. I'll keep you posted.
                      sigpic

Comment

At long last ... Casualties of War is in its final form and heading off to the printers fairly soon, so I'm allowed to give you a peek at the first few pages now. Here's a link to the excerpt. Since it's not technically an "exocerpt" a la Exogenesis, my husband tagged it with the name "cowcerpt." He'll be here all week, folks.
                        Hope you enjoy!
                        Beth
                        http://www.elizabethchristensen.com
                        http://www.stargatenovels.com

Comment

SG-1 Barque of TruthHeaven is listed in Books in Print (USA) as coming out in July. But National Book Network (a distribtor) and Baker & Taylor (a wholesale middleman) don't expect to get it til Sept 15.

Does this book take place while Jack or Sam is leading SG-1 or while Mitchell is running amock?

suse
                          Last edited by suse; 15 July 2007, 08:54 PM. Reason: Title Correction
                          sigpic
                          Mourning Sanctuary.
                          Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Christensen View Post
                            At long last ... Casualties of War is in its final form and heading off to the printers fairly soon, so I'm allowed to give you a peek at the first few pages now. Here's a link to the excerpt. Since it's not technically an "exocerpt" a la Exogenesis, my husband tagged it with the name "cowcerpt." He'll be here all week, folks.
                            Hope you enjoy!

SQUEE!!!! What a good read. Now i'm really looking forward to this book. is it September yet?

Can I expect more angst for my favorite flyboy??
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
                              SG-1 Barque of Truth is listed in Books in Print (USA) as coming out in July. But National Book Network (a distribtor) and Baker & Taylor (a wholesale middleman) don't expect to get it til Sept 15.

Does this book take place while Jack or Sam is leading SG-1 or while Mitchell is running amock?

suse
                              Hello Suse,

I guess you mean The Barque of Heaven? The publication date has been put back to January next year. The July date is still showing on various biblio and distributor sites as they get their info from NBN. Once the new date is entered in the next catalogue it should flow on to Baker and Taylor and others.

The book is set in season three, roughly following Deadman's Switch, so it's Jack running amok as leader.

Suzanne.
                              sigpic

http://hevnlybarquings.livejournal.com/
                              http://heavenlybarquings.googlepages.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Suzanne Wood View Post
                                Hello Suse,

I guess you mean The Barque of Heaven? The publication date has been put back to January next year. The July date is still showing on various biblio and distributor sites as they get their info from NBN. Once the new date is entered in the next catalogue it should flow on to Baker and Taylor and others.

The book is set in season three, roughly following Deadman's Switch, so it's Jack running amok as leader.

Suzanne.
                                Sorry about the title mix-up. I've fixed it. Bummer on the delay. I like Jack snark. And team.

I've been playing with titles (at work) all day today and have messed up more than one. And having fun "renaming" another here.

Thanks for the reply!

suse
                                sigpic
                                Mourning Sanctuary.
                                Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Working...
                                X