This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JMSwallow View Post
    Sadly, the answer to that is, for now, no. I pitched a Stargate short fiction anthology to Fandemonium a while back, and although there was plenty of enthusiasm for the idea, rights issues mean it can't happen.

As I understand it, Fandemonium's contract with MGM means that they are only allowed to publish novels based on the SG-1, SGA and SGU franchises; whereas Titan's contract with MGM only allowed the magazine to publish short fiction. As they're two different companies with two different contracts, it's unlikely Fandemonium would publish Titan stuff - in fact, Titan have their own book publishing division, so if anyone was going to collect the reprints, I'd guess it would be them. But again, I'd imagine Titan's Stargate rights deal doesn't cover fiction in book form.

Still; it would be a great idea if it happened. I know that some of the Titan short stories were cut for page-space and it would be nice to read versions not constrained by the length of the magazine slot.
    That's a shame; some of the short stories were pretty good. It's also disappointing (though not entirely surprising) to learn that some of the stories were cut for space, and I'd certainly like to be able to read the complete versions someday.
    (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
    Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by lightsyder View Post
      Does Titan still have the rights no that the magazine has been canceled?
      I'd imagine that the rights for all content in the magazine's run have reverted to MGM after the licence for the magazine expired.

Originally posted by Tinah View Post
      I was just thinking the same... though I don't know anything about the publishing business, so I didn't want to ask. Were the people writing these short stories all Fandemonium authors? I'd be interested in an anthology too, but I'm not interested enough to track down back issues of the magazine.
      Yes, all the short stories were written by authors who have written novels for Fandemonium. All of us had already been approved by MGM to write Stargate tie-in fiction.

Out Now:
      Stargate Universe: Air, Stargate Atlantis: Nightfall, Stargate SG-1: Relativity and Stargate Atlantis: Halcyon (from Fandemonium Books)
      Stargate SG-1: Half Life, Stargate SG-1: First Prime, Stargate Atlantis: Zero Point and Stargate SG-1: Shell Game (from Big Finish Productions)
      "Outsiders" (Stargate: The Official Magazine #20), "Choices" (Stargate: The Official Magazine #10)
      ---------------------------------------------------
      Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by JMSwallow View Post
        Sadly, the answer to that is, for now, no. I pitched a Stargate short fiction anthology to Fandemonium a while back, and although there was plenty of enthusiasm for the idea, rights issues mean it can't happen.
        Would that also exclude a The Story of Martha-esque braided novel?
        Benford's Corollary to Clarke's Law:
        "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."

Comment

Any idea on the latest round of delays? Homecoming was supposed to be out a month ago.
          sigpic
          Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
            Any idea on the latest round of delays? Homecoming was supposed to be out a month ago.
            On Nov. 23rd, Jo Graham wrote:

Homecoming is off the presses and en route from the printer to the distributor. So as soon as they arrive, Fandemonium will start shipping books! Of course books that are going through Amazon, Waterstones, etc will take longer, as the books have to ship to them and be entered into their inventory before they offer them for sale. I'm anticipating that Fandemonium will start shipping orders late this week, or possibly Monday given the holiday. As soon as they have them in hand and are ready, I'll post the link here for people who want to order directly from Fandemonium.
            Link

Comment

Great news! Thank you for giving us the heads-up! I'm really looking forward to this series!

Comment

I'm in the midst of doing research for the sequel to FOUR DRAGONS - research that will include a trip down to Antarctica on December 26th via an icebreaker research vessel. The reason why I'm bringing this up here is that I'm currently putting together a list of questions for the scientists and historians down there and would be happy to add any questions anyone here might have to the list. Either post here, or you can private message me, or email me at digitalred93 AT gmail.com.
                Happy Holidays, everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by Diana Botsford View Post
                  I'm in the midst of doing research for the sequel to FOUR DRAGONS - research that will include a trip down to Antarctica on December 26th via an icebreaker research vessel. The reason why I'm bringing this up here is that I'm currently putting together a list of questions for the scientists and historians down there and would be happy to add any questions anyone here might have to the list. Either post here, or you can private message me, or email me at digitalred93 AT gmail.com.
                  Happy Holidays, everyone!
                  Hi everyone:
                  Diana got stuck in NYC because of the snow storm. Please send her good vibes so her plane can get out tomorrow morning or she will miss her connection to the research vessel taking her around Antarctica. Thanks!
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by trupi View Post
                    Hi everyone:
                    Diana got stuck in NYC because of the snow storm. Please send her good vibes so her plane can get out tomorrow morning or she will miss her connection to the research vessel taking her around Antarctica. Thanks!
                    I'll contact Thor and see if he can transport her there.
                    sigpic

Comment

Here's hoping everything works out!

Comment

Indeed! Hope everything worked out. Damn snow!
                        sigpic
                        Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Did she make it??
                          sigpic

Comment

I have a couple of questions.
                            Are the Novels considered 'canon'?
                            And are there any novelisations of 'Ark of Truth' and 'Continuum'?

ttyl
                            Starfist.
                            "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
                            Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
                            Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
                            Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
                            I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
                            To thy own self... Be true
                            May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Originally posted by Starfist View Post

ttyl
                              Starfist.
                              I'd say they're not canon (some may disagree, but I think the general opinion is that they're not), but of course they do adhere to canon.
                              And no, there are no novelisations of AoT or Continuum (maybe there are fanfics based on the movies?).
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Starfist View Post

ttyl
                                Starfist.
                                No, the novels are not canon. There have been some instances where the novels have contradicted canon, typically because a novel was published, and then sometime later an episode or movie came out that gave different information (the whole thing with Ronon supposedly being "immune" to being fed upon by the Wraith is a big one).
                                (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                                Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Working...
                                X