This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sonny1

I doubt I’d personally go back and work on stories set in earlier seasons, because the ideas I’m developing now need to be set in season 10 and season 3 respectively, as they incorporate situations and characters only seen in those seasons. But, you never know...
    Now I'm very intrigued!!! S3 of Atlantis has been one of the best so far in terms of storylines and characters!!! How long will we have to wait for these ideas to be published? I can't stand waiting!
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gate Geek
      SQUEE!! Thanks for the link. I just read it and sound good!! I have just begun my venture into the realm of SG-1 books. I look forward to reading it.

Gosh. What a relief! Hope the whole package doesn't disappoint ...
      http://www.karenmiller.net
      http://karenmiller.livejournal.com

Comment

Originally posted by Gate Geek
        Now I'm very intrigued!!! S3 of Atlantis has been one of the best so far in terms of storylines and characters!!! How long will we have to wait for these ideas to be published? I can't stand waiting!
        It's still a one paragraph idea sitting with the publisher, as yet to be approved by MGM. At this stage I probably won't begin writing until January. If Beth comes on board with it (she's currently busy on another story again) then it could be completed by June 2007, which generally would mean publication could be towards the end of 2007/early 2008...but it's still an 'if' idea. Now that SG-1 has been cancelled, that may (or may not) alter the dynamics of the production schedule.

Sonny
        Sonny
        www.sonnywhitelaw.com

sigpic

Comment

It's still a one paragraph idea sitting with the publisher, as yet to be approved by MGM. At this stage I probably won't begin writing until January. If Beth comes on board with it (she's currently busy on another story again) then it could be completed by June 2007, which generally would mean publication could be towards the end of 2007/early 2008...but it's still an 'if' idea. Now that SG-1 has been cancelled, that may (or may not) alter the dynamics of the production schedule.

Sonny

*sigh* That long???? Well, I will attempt to wait patiently to see what develops.

Thanks.
          sigpic

Comment

Hi Sonny,

That tells us about your SGA season three idea, but you also mentioned a SG-1 season ten idea. Is that also at the "one paragraph idea" stage or is it more developed. Thanks in advance for any info you can share!

~ Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Cinc1
              Hi Sonny,

That tells us about your SGA season three idea, but you also mentioned a SG-1 season ten idea. Is that also at the "one paragraph idea" stage or is it more developed. Thanks in advance for any info you can share!

~ Mike
              The publisher has given the go ahead for the general idea, but the usual caveat applies: MGM must give final approval. Currently, the aim is to get a first draft in by around December. That's also subject to me finishing my thesis and getting gutterguard in before the next phase of the drought hits. I won't say anything re plot because a story is a very fluid thing until the final okay is given. Re characters: Jack is definitely *not* phoning this one in.
              Sonny
              www.sonnywhitelaw.com

sigpic

Comment

The publisher has given the go ahead for the general idea, but the usual caveat applies: MGM must give final approval. Currently, the aim is to get a first draft in by around December. That's also subject to me finishing my thesis and getting gutterguard in before the next phase of the drought hits. I won't say anything re plot because a story is a very fluid thing until the final okay is given. Re characters: Jack is definitely *not* phoning this one in.
                Thanks, it sounds great! Best of luck on all your projects!

~ Mike

Comment

If you had the chance to write a novel based on anything in the SG world such as a novel from Teal'c POV in the past or a totally new planet in their conflict against the world, what would you do it about?
                  sigpic
                  Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard
                    If you had the chance to write a novel based on anything in the SG world such as a novel from Teal'c POV in the past or a totally new planet in their conflict against the world, what would you do it about?
                    It would be a toss up between Vala: The Early Years or The All-New Adventures of Thor.

Out Now:
                    Stargate Universe: Air, Stargate Atlantis: Nightfall, Stargate SG-1: Relativity and Stargate Atlantis: Halcyon (from Fandemonium Books)
                    Stargate SG-1: Half Life, Stargate SG-1: First Prime, Stargate Atlantis: Zero Point and Stargate SG-1: Shell Game (from Big Finish Productions)
                    "Outsiders" (Stargate: The Official Magazine #20), "Choices" (Stargate: The Official Magazine #10)
                    ---------------------------------------------------
                    Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by JMSwallow
                      It would be a toss up between Vala: The Early Years or The All-New Adventures of Thor.
                      Vala: The Early Years meets McKay in a time warp.
                      Could explain a whole lot about Rodney

Sonny
                      Sonny
                      www.sonnywhitelaw.com

sigpic

Comment

In terms of a character-background story, it's not even a contest: Sheppard in flight training or on an early (pre-Afghanistan) special ops assignment. In terms of an entirely new Stargate setting, I'm not sure I'd go for that; I think I'd be more likely (on a relative scale) to just write an independent sci-fi story in that case, since these characters are so inexorably linked with the Stargate universe in my mind.

Beth has every intention of coming on board, barring any unforeseen acts of God. My current Atlantis project is in the same boat as Sonny's SG-1 project: approved in concept by the publisher and aiming for a draft in December, so I hope to be available to tag-team on another one early next year.
                        Beth
                        http://www.elizabethchristensen.com
                        http://www.stargatenovels.com

Comment

Not really a novel related question but...I'm working on a wiki just for the EU Stargate (the novels basically) and I was wondering if you folks would be willing to write like triva for the pages just for the novels? Things that where going to happen but didn't, things that came out differently, inspiration and etc.
                          sigpic
                          Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Christensen
                            In terms of a character-background story, it's not even a contest: Sheppard in flight training or on an early (pre-Afghanistan) special ops assignment. In terms of an entirely new Stargate setting, I'm not sure I'd go for that; I think I'd be more likely (on a relative scale) to just write an independent sci-fi story in that case, since these characters are so inexorably linked with the Stargate universe in my mind.

Beth has every intention of coming on board, barring any unforeseen acts of God. My current Atlantis project is in the same boat as Sonny's SG-1 project: approved in concept by the publisher and aiming for a draft in December, so I hope to be available to tag-team on another one early next year.
                            Sheppard!!! SQUEE!! He is by far my absolute favorite.

I would soo love to see a follow up story on Sheppy and the events that occur in the episode Common Ground. From the spoilers and such, that's just screaming for a post storyline somewhere!! *hint hint* Seriously, I'm sure it violates some guideline somewhere, but hey, I had to throw it out there!!
                            sigpic

Comment

Not really a novel related question but...I'm working on a wiki just for the EU Stargate (the novels basically) and I was wondering if you folks would be willing to write like triva for the pages just for the novels? Things that where going to happen but didn't, things that came out differently, inspiration and etc.

What a lovely idea! It'd be a pleasure.

Comment

Lord. What a question! I guess one of my main inspirations in writing SG is looking for the moments that have resonance beyond the closing credits of the episode but couldn't be fully explored due to the nature of television. That's what I've done in Alliances, I've looked at the fallout from the events in The Other Side -- hopefully realistically.

I'm a character-driven writer, insofar as I don't have spiffy big SF ideas, not like so many other authors. I get sucked into stories by the characters, and I'm driven to explore those characters and their relationships against a backdrop of conflict and some kind of inciting event. Possibly that's why most of my favourite episodes are written by Brad Wright, whose emphasis is also on character and relationships and less on shiny spaecships and things blowing up.

So I guess any story where I think I can deepen our understanding of the characters, or showcase their relationships, put them in conflict. Certainly for me the appeal of SG-1, and in the writing, is watching the team be the team, watching all their foibles interact, so single character stories don't hold so much interest for me. And stories that are more about original characters than the SG characters aren't really appropriate, I don't think. SG novels, and Atlantis novels, need to be about those people. Those are the people we love and read the tie-ins for.

It's such a huge world to play in. We really are only limited by our imaginations.

Comment

Working...
                                X