This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ask Fandemonium! (Novels)

The adventures of SG-1 and the Atlantis expedition continue in the officially licensed novels from Fandemonium. Now, the publisher wants to hear from you!

GateWorld is giving you the chance to get your questions answered straight from the source. What books are coming next? Where can you find them? How do they find their writers? The sky's the limit.

Have a question about the Stargate novels that is just burning a hole in your pocket?
    Post it here! We'll take submissions until Friday, November 18, then send them on to Fandemonium. The answers will be posted at GateWorld.

A few special guidelines for this thread:
    • Give a peek at what has been asked so far. We won't send the same question twice.
    • Ask relevant questions. Fandemonium publishes the new SG-1 novels currently available only outside North America (though the upcoming Atlantis novels will be available worldwide!). They don't publish non-fiction books like the script book or illustrated companions.
    • No discussion or attempts to answer others' questions, please. This thread is intended to provide a list of questions that we can send on to Fandemonium.
    • Be creative! (Everyone wants to know when the SG-1 novels might be available in the U.S., for example, but due to licensing issues it's not something to which the company can really speak.) For this Q&A to be successful, you'll have to use your noodle. Learn more about the current and upcoming titles in GateWorld's Books section.

Learn more about the company and the books at the official Web site, StargateNovels.com. Thanks to the crew at Fandemonium for participating!
    Last edited by Darren; 04 November 2005, 09:43 AM.
    GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
    The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
    Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

I guess I'll ask the first question(s):

1. Where do you find writers from?

2. Will accept submissions from fans for possible offical publication?

3. Your previous books have included sequels to SG-1 episodes including A Matter Of Time. Are we going to see more books that act as sequels to other episodes?

timdalton007

Comment

I was wondering why the books are not sold in North America at the same time the UK and other countries can buy them? It seems you would make getter sales.
      "Embress your life, find what it is that you love, and pursue it with all your soul. For if you do not, when you come to die, you will find that you have not lived."

A character from the novel "Chindi" by Jack McDevitt

Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.
      'Eleanor Roosevelt'
      Individuality is freedom lived.
      'Janis Joplin'

Comment

Originally posted by Atlantis1
        I was wondering why the books are not sold in North America at the same time the UK and other countries can buy them? It seems you would make getter sales.
        The answer's on their FAQ: Why are the books only for sale in the UK, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa? Why can't I buy them in the USA and Canada? A: Sorry, our license to the novels covers only these territories.

Someone in the USA has the license to sell Stargate SG-1 books, therefore Fandemonium can't sell 'em, but they're free to sell SGA books

Comment

1. Where do you find writers from?

2. Will accept submissions from fans for possible offical publication?
          The answers to these are also on their website. In the past, Fandemonium have 'cold-called' fanfic authors by email and invited them to submit a novel. I think that was the case for the first couple of novels. Thereafter, they are committed to inviting fans or non-professional writers to submit novels for publication. I believe one of the upcoming books - Siren Song - is one of the 'winning entries' from the last (and first) such invite. Others are scheduled to follow.

The answers on their FAQ
          It's also in Darren's post that began this thread. Come on, people! Do try to ask questions that you can't find the answers to by reading the thread or Fandemonium website carefully before posting!

Albion
          Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Is there a specific kind of writing that you are particularly on the lookout for, ie: hard-to-medium science, murder-mystery, search&rescue?

Similarly, are there any writing styles that you automatically turn down?
            Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
            "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
            One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
            resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
            confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
            A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
            The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

1. How much input/suggestions/creative control does MGM/Sony exercise in the content of the novels? In other words, how much feedback do they give?

2. What's the process like, running stories past the show's producers and MGM?

3. Could Fandemonium establish new Stargate canon, something the TV show(s) could reference?

4. How many proposals from last year's open submission are still left to be read/evaluated?

5. Has anything been done in regard to co-publishing in North America with Roc? Can Roc pick up the North American rights to a Fandemonium book the same as any European publisher can buy rights to an American book, and vice versa?

6. Better yet, when does Roc's license expire?

7. Could Fandemonium put up something like a quick-access timeline to show how each novel fits into Stargate continuity?

8. Is this too many questions for one post?

Comment

OK gang, I've added another guideline for this thread:

No discussion or attempts to answer others' questions, please. This thread is intended to provide a list of questions that we can send on to Fandemonium.
                Please post questions only. Other book-related conversation can find a happy home in a different thread here in the "Stargate Merchandise" folder. We have several for the Fandemonium books already.

Also, there is no need to repost questions. I'll be thorough when culling this thread.
                GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

There have been alot of new fanmade spin-off's recently, what are the odds are seeing Fandemonium create a spin-off book series?
                  sigpic
                  Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

The FAQ says this:

Will the books follow canon?

Yes, all our books will be faithful to the canon as established by the show. At the end of each novel the Stargate SG-1 universe must be left as it was found. Our stories will have the feel of a really good double episode, featuring all the action, adventure, mythology and banter we love about Stargate SG-1. However, unlike the TV show, the books will be able to delve more deeply into the thoughts, feelings and reactions of the characters.
                    ... and:

How much influence does MGM have over the stories?

MGM approve each stage of the novel's production, from initial outline to final draft. They ensure that the situation and characterisation are consistent with the TV show. Where necessary they will check directly with production staff in Vancouver to ensure that our books do not impinge on upcoming episodes. However, within these constraints, our writers are free to let their imagination roam.
                    That said, it seems a rather one way relation. Books must fit with the show, but do the show's writers also have to check with the books' content to not contradict the published material, or are they allowed to ignore the novels, and contradict them at will for the show's needs?

Frankly, I'd be really pissed off buying a book and having it completely invalidated by a new episode.
                    That would both refrain me from buying anymore book, and would hurt the novel's credibility.
                    The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

I am curious if the Stargate books will ever be available in Audiobook format? I am an avid audiobook listener and a great fan of the Stargate franchise. I would be very happy to see these books released in audiobook format as I am sure many other fans would as well.
                      "Teal'c how many times have I told you..." "Don't get caught by the BAD GUYS!!!"

Comment

Has any consideration been given to working with other licensees (like the makers of the possibly-forthcoming video game) to tie your products more closely together?

Has Fandemonium considered pursuing electronic distribution of their titles?

What's Fandemonium's view--and/or MGM Licensing's view--on stories involving alternate universes? Are we going to be seeing any of them in the future?
                        Benford's Corollary to Clarke's Law:
                        "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."

Comment

HOw long does it take to get a story from submission/request to finished produce (ballpark estimate)?

When i read City of the Gods, the end seemed to be kind of disjointed, presuming you can/want to answer this, was some of it cut out? and if so, was it for length or content....or is this just too nosy?

Cost of Honor, without spoiling, did 'change' canon in that it altered the canon state of characters, will more books do this? If so, is it something that has to be cleared with the show's writersor do they (as in the boys at Bridge) have any say/input about plots and story ideas?

Presuming you finish wading through the 2004 subs, will you again have an open call in the - relatively speaking - near future?
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

How closely do these books tie in to what is going on in the show itself?
                            My Depth Is Immaterial To This Conversation...

Comment

When might those of us who are still waiting to hear *anything* concerning our submissions from last November expect to be contacted?
                              ~bri~

Comment

Working...
                              X