So.... I was rewatching SGA......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So.... I was rewatching SGA......

Recently, I've begun to rewatch SGA. I'm in the second season right now, and I came upon something that made me wonder a bit.

In the episode "Conversion" (the one where Sheppard mutates into a wraith like creature), I noticed something. Colonel Caldwell asked Weir if he could take over Sheppard's responsibilities temporary, just until Sheppard recovers(something like that). Weir said like doesn't the Daedalus suppose to leave now; so Caldwell said something like this: Hermoid running diagnostics on the FTL drive anyway.

FTL drive???? Is that similar or related in SGU?? Now I'm totally confused on hyperdrives and FTL drives cause I thought the Daedalus had hyperdrives.

Is it possible that the FTL drive is a basic version of hyperdrives??

What does everyone think?
    There is always one.

FTL stands for Faster than Light.........as such it can mean Hyperdrive just as much as anything else. It's just that FTL is a catch all term. The Destiny crew don't know exactly what sort of engines the ship uses or what layer of subspace they're travelling in, therefore they call it FTL. It's simply because they don't know the real name for it.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
      FTL stands for Faster than Light.........as such it can mean Hyperdrive just as much as anything else. It's just that FTL is a catch all term. The Destiny crew don't know exactly what sort of engines the ship uses or what layer of subspace they're travelling in, therefore they call it FTL. It's simply because they don't know the real name for it.
      You're correct, FTL is definitely a catch all that covers everything. Most likely the writers just weren't paying attention there. Strictly speaking, the Daedalus does have hyperdrive engines which move through subspace for travel which if i remember correctly was some sort of another dimension or some such thing.

True FTL drives though along the lines of Destiny or even Galactica travel through normal space and the computer navigates for them to avoid slamming into planets and such at faster than light speeds. Destiny is represented as not using hyperspace since you can see all the planets in the distance and watch the light wash over it as it travels rather than it just being in a worm-hole type of thing that the 304's travel in.

Or I could be drunk. who knows?

Comment

This brings back memories about my DFTL
        sigpic
        Stargate Mods List

I am webxro , google me .SG,ST,SW,B5 Fan since forever.
        StarTrek Excalibur enthusiast and Pardus player .
        GW member infractions : 1

Comment

caldwell used FTL a few times in stead of hyperdrive but within context what he means is clear

Comment

Working...
          X