Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Tech discussion thread! (possible spoilers for any season, SG-1 and Atlantis)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by spg_1983
    by now they have to have stolen tech from a race that used advanced computers and stuff. also we know that they at least have some understanding of the idea of automated defense systems. they have taks, although they only ever saw them used in one episode "dead man switch" the taks are designed to automatically shoot at heat signatures. also while for the most part they do just steal their technology, they do research and develop technology, even if it based on aquired technology. in "double jeapordy" cronus had a goa'uld underling who was a scientist and studied and developed tech for him. while anubis got a lot of his tech directly from ancient knowledge, he did r&d some himself, i.e. the robot probe from "heros" and he had goa'uld scientists working for him in the same episode on his planet where they created super soldiers. in "Abyss" the fortress where oniell is captured is described by the tok'ra as ba'al's reasearch and development into gravitational technology. so the goa'uld do r&d technology, its just that the base technology is stolen from other races, actually exactly the same as the SGC.
    Yep, I've been saying this for a long time. So many posters here disrespect the Goa'uld, and claim they are mere thieves, etc. The facts support this conclusion only to a point. Yes, Daniel said, in one or two episodes, that the Goa'uld have stolen technology, or modified Ancient technology. And this makes them thieves? Simply because they are biological parasites does not mean they are technological parasites.

Keep this in mind, they had to be intelligent and fully sentient before they ever took an Unas as a host. Why? If the snake thingy was dumb, or partially intelligent, and it took an Unas as a host, what would that make? Hmmm, a dumb Unas walking aroudn with a dumb snake stuck in its skull. Oh, but the Goa'uld also have the memories of the host. So? So, the snake would have its memories of swimming around in a lake eating anything it can kill PLUS the memories of a dumb Unas wiping its poo on a cave wall, yelling Chaka all day, and drooling. In other words: two dumbs don't make a smart. It doesn't work that way.

The Goa'uld were smart little snakes trapped in that watery world with no way to manipulate their environment. They could think, reason, and probably communicate with one another. Somehow, some way, they figured out how to enter an Unas. They realized two things: 1) they could control it, once they wrapped around the brain stem, and 2) they could heal it and keep it going longer than normally possible. Now, these smart critters now had a body that could move on land, produce spoken sound, and manipulate their environment.

The rest is history. They were smart enough to learn how to operate the stargates. They probably built most of their own technology through independent discovery, just like some of our technology was acquired, and through retroengineering from old tech discovered on gate journies to other worlds. They learned how to retroengineer and the rest is history again.

The Goa'uld have unique ships, with unique designs. Their weapons appear unique. They use naquadah and Ancient power crystals, but does that mean they are Ancient tech? Not necessarily. An old flashlight from 1974 was powered by a battery that could power a 2004 portable CD player. Same basic power source, vastly different tech.

I think the Goa'uld are scum, but they deserve some recognition. In many episodes, we've seen Goa'uld research and development. "Abyss", "Double Jeopardy", "Upgrades", "Evolution I&II", etc. I don't think they stole their ship tech, I think they developed their own ships independently, same with the ribbon devices and weaponry.

Compare them with the Asgard. The Asgard actually co-existed on friendly terms with the most advanced race, the Ancients, who probably gave them tech, showed them how to build tech, and/or let their tech be copied by the industrious little grey guys. We give the Asgard so much recognition and respect, but they had an easy opportunity to acquire their tech from their buddies and allies, the Ancients. The snakes had to retroengineer and create their own all by themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by lionel_pendergast_rocks
      Okay, here are a few questions question i have about goa'uld weapons: Why do staff weapons never need more ammo? We find that it is powered by a small liquid naqueda cell in the episode where o'neill gets his head sucked the first time, but is l.n. like yeast? does it make more of itself and regenerate after each shot? and how did bratac do that cool rapid fire thing in 'family', and why hasn't anyone else done it?
      Bra'tac is a master with this weapon. And Who said that goa'uld weapon don't need to be reload ? perhaos they just didn't show us. But remember this, Naquada is a very VERY powerfull thing so I doubt it can disappear with "normal" use, so they could stay with the same weapon all their life
      - Maybe one day you will learn, that your way, is not the only way.
      - The very young, do not always do what they are told.
      - The Nox

Comment

Obviously the easiest answer to the Staffs not needing "ammo" is that when they are activated(the headpiece opens up) it makes a shield keeping the oxygen in there from going out, when you fire the weapon that oxygen is turned into plasma and then pushed out by a gravity-pulse. How to explain the gliders cannons is a little bit harder since they don't have access to an atmosphere, but I guess they can be explained with having a compressed gas stored in the wings or something.

And Naquadah is just the power source, not the ammonition. I don't think the writers would change the laws of physics that much that you can make plasma out of nothing, or make plasma out of naquadah and still have 100% of your naquadah left.

Comment

Originally posted by ckwongau
          S8 spoiler
          What is the difference between Tin-man Carter ( the robot double of Sam from "Tin man") and Replicarter ,the replicator copy of Sam.They are both A.I ,both make with the image and the mind of Sam. Tin man Carter was sacifices herself to save the SG1 and the Tinman SG1,and Replicarter was so Evil??
          ~-THIS WILL HAVE SOME GEMINI SPOILERS, AS DOES THE QUESTION IT ANSWERS-~
          +
          +
          +
          +
          +
          +
          Well Replicarter has the thoughts of Sam but didn't seem to act the same as Sam, However the Tin Man Carter seemed to be fundamentally more like Carter, talked, acted and seemed much more like Carter.

Also remember, the Tin Man Sam was told and thought she was actually Sam, being around the rest of a cloned SG-1, whereas the Replicarter was told she was different and brought up alone by Fith, and tortured given specific memories over time.

Both had elements of conciousness, and bring up the whole "do androids/robots/machines this complicated really have conciousness and thoughts" argument, I suspect however that the differences were fundamentally to do with the way they entered the world.

Comment

Originally posted by lionel_pendergast_rocks
            Okay, here are a few questions question i have about goa'uld weapons: Why do staff weapons never need more ammo? We find that it is powered by a small liquid naqueda cell in the episode where o'neill gets his head sucked the first time, but is l.n. like yeast? does it make more of itself and regenerate after each shot? and how did bratac do that cool rapid fire thing in 'family', and why hasn't anyone else done it?
            ive always wondered about the rapid fire thing myself. its been a while since i saw the episode but i kinda have a theory about it. i think that the staffs have a delay between shots before they can fire, either to cool down or recharge , whatever. its possible to trigger a rapid fire blast but then your weapon is out of commision for a longer period of time. as for the liquid naquada. In "absolute Power" we learn that liquid naquada has more potential power out put than normal naquada, so it can produce a lot of energy. a staff blast, while powerful, is an incredibly tiny output of energy, compared to the potential energy from naquada. i think that a l.n. cell could probably last hundreds of years, if not longer. thats just my theory, i dont actually have any solid evidence to support it, it just seems logical.

here's a question. who makes all the goa'uld stuff? not their ships and palaces, those are built by slaves. but who makes things like staffs and zats and hand devices? sarcs and pain sticks? you couldnt use jaffa or human slaves because it would destroy the whole "god" image. do the goa'uld maintain factories that just produce the stuff? also, since every goa'ulds technology is exactly the same (staffs, zats, armor, etc.) is there maybe a neutral goa'uld that builds all that stuff and deals equally with all goa'uld? (yes i know the RW reason is to keep production costs down, but how about an in universe answer.)

Comment

My guess is that each Goa'uld have a standard production facility. Seeing that they're advanced they probably have a fully automised production line for the smaller stuff. Infact the Ha'taks are probably also automaticly built, it's just the Nq. that's mined with Jaffa. They could probably make the mining automaticily too, but that would remove some of the Goa'uld personality.

Comment

Tollan Holographic projection technology!

Narim gave it to us in 'Between Two Fires.' I mean, shouldn't we have disected the little player?
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
                  My guess is that each Goa'uld have a standard production facility. Seeing that they're advanced they probably have a fully automised production line for the smaller stuff. Infact the Ha'taks are probably also automaticly built, it's just the Nq. that's mined with Jaffa. They could probably make the mining automaticily too, but that would remove some of the Goa'uld personality.
                  possible but like we were discussing a couple posts back, the goa'u7ld seem to have a real aversion to automation. ships would be built by human slaves most likely

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
                    Tollan Holographic projection technology!

Narim gave it to us in 'Between Two Fires.' I mean, shouldn't we have disected the little player?
                    well taking it apart and replicating it are two very different things. there have been several times that we have gotten and studied extensively technology but not been able to duplicate it or understand it. like the mimic devices from "Foothold", they could never get a new image to stay for longer than a few minutes.

Comment

here is a tech question. we know that certain goa'uld technology requires one to have naquada in the system to use (i.e. ribbon devices, healing devices, etc.) but why is this? the devices probably have naquadria in them already so its not for energy to make it work. is it maybe a security thing?

Comment

It requires Naquada not naquadria. But it may also be a way to activate the device. I don't see any buttons on Gould healing devices.
                        So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains,
                        And we never even know we have the key.
                        Already Gone---------
                        The Eagles-----------

Comment

Originally posted by UnderT
                          It requires Naquada not naquadria. But it may also be a way to activate the device. I don't see any buttons on Gould healing devices.
                          oops typo. yes it is required to operate the devices but why? and if it is drawing energy from the person using it, how and what does that do to the person? the naquada in a persons system cant be infinite unless they replace it somehow, and even the goa'uld must have to have more put into their systems every couple centuries or something to replace what has been used

Comment

Two things first Gemenii:
                            there are some differences between the two Carter copies that have been made in the cource of the show. Tin Carter (TC) Was an instantious copy. they had no idea that a copy had been made till the battery died. RepiCarter (RC) was a blank slate when she was copied- and then was fed the memories and "condionted" by Fifth. I'm sure that if TBTP had more time in the second ep that showed TC, they could have explored it since it was a year later and they have experainced differnt things. The esiest thing I can compair it to would be Back To the Future II when Doc is explaining the differnt timeline- its the same, yet its not.

Now the second thing:Go'uld decives requireing naquada.

All right, its been established that the snakes require the natural electical current that occure in a human body to survive (maybe is a side effect of the maturing process- which would make a small amount of sence given what we've seen over the pass 8 years...) So is it possible that the reason the naquada is needed is becuase the naquada serves as a amplifyers or condutor or converter even that allows the devices to "tap" the body electrical feild to power the device?

I hope that makes since- I'm facing an insomia night and I'm not sure if everything coming out.

P.S. Hey mods- is there anyway to combine this thread with the new tech thread?
                            Adam:"I reject your reality and subisute myown."

O'Neill:
                            "IN THE MIDDLE OF MY BACKSWING?!"

Carter:
                            "It took us 15 years and 3 supercomputers to MacGyver a system for the gate on Earth."

CARTER: You made [this]?
                            ORLIN: You wouldn't believe the things you could make from the common simple idems lying around your planet. Which reminds me...you're going to need a new microwave.

Weir: You destroyed 3/4 of a solar system!
                            McKay: Actually 5/6, its not an extact science.

Slashdot:
                            "Well railguns are neat and all, but I'm still not joining the Army until they invent the respawn point."

Comment

bumpity bump

Comment

I am curious on how advanced Goa'uld weapons would be or if there would be a greater selection (more than the staff weapon and zat) for the Jaffa to use if the System Lords did not seem to regulate advancements. That is what it appeared to me especially when the others found out Nirrti was designing phase-shifting technology and how they attacked Baal when they were given plans of his gravitational r&d facility. It is like they all need to be on the same playing field or they gang up on each other. If Nirrti could develop phase-shifting on her own just imagine the types of weapons and cloaking/shielding tech the Goa'uld could have. The SGC wouldn't stand a chance. Probably the one reason why Anubis was able to dominate them so easily (other than his Ancient knowledge).
                                "What is it with you and ascended women?!"

Proud member of the C.O.T.W.O.S.F.
                                The Coalition Of Those Who Oppose Sci Fi (channel)

Comment

Working...
                                X