What Powers the Puddle Jumper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
    i'm not sure what you see as a battery but in my world it's a device which stores electricity through means of a chemical reaction. a capacitor just crams a lot of electrons into a plate.
    Ok so you're basing the technology of the puddle jumpers based on our understanding of chemical batteries. Ignoring the fact that battery density is often one of the driving factors in portability of electronics IRL and that the ancients, given millions of years of advancement would probably have made a little bit of progress past say....a Duracell.

There are plenty of other ways to store energy for later power generation that aren't chemical, just from our own technology, liquid sodium, compressed air etc. Again, I'm pretty sure the Ancients, given millions of years made a little more progress.

And I know, you're googling "capacitors and batteries" right now and are going to link to the article from MIT about the nanoscale capacitors possibly replacing batteries.

More likely is that they have their own little reactor of some kind that just has never been addressed on the show.
    Before this day is done, I will feed on your buttery defiance

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
      i'm not sure what you see as a battery but in my world it's a device which stores electricity through means of a chemical reaction. a capacitor just crams a lot of electrons into a plate.
      that could be a ZPM or any other "magic" thing of a jig the ancients have invented.

as far as i know the definition of a battery is something that stores electricity and apearantly the jumppers do store a fair amount of electricity now dont they?

and why would you automaticly asume i meant a chemical battery of earth standards?

Comment

Maybe they have a micro version of a ZPM powering the Puddle Jumper?

I mean the Zero Point Module looks like the D- Size Ancient Batteries I guess so maybe they'd need something like a AAA Battery.

Comment

Originally posted by Starscream View Post
          Maybe they have a micro version of a ZPM powering the Puddle Jumper?

I mean the Zero Point Module looks like the D- Size Ancient Batteries I guess so maybe they'd need something like a AAA Battery.
          indeed!

Comment

Since the ancient seem to think big I mean surely they must have started small at some point.

Cause something's got to make these Jumpers go.

I mean have we even seen inside the Engine Pods at all?

Comment

the same technology that lets the tiny darts fly interplanetary distances at high speeds with power left over for a cannon and a dematerializer beam.
              R.I.P Stargate 1994-2009

Comment

as i said, say battery and i think chemical. capacitors are non-chemical high energy power storage devices

Comment

I don't understand how the Puddle Jumpers in Atlantis were not dead when humans first arrived, yet the ones in "The Tower" were. Does anyone have an explanation for this?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by unknown.entity View Post
                    I don't understand how the Puddle Jumpers in Atlantis were not dead when humans first arrived, yet the ones in "The Tower" were. Does anyone have an explanation for this?
                    maintinance.

Comment

Not being an Ancient I can only speculate, but it makes sense they use some sort of batterey. Now the battery can obviously die and be recharged. Again a guess but its not electricity they run on, most likely 'energy', from a ZPM or another power source 'Naquada generator'. Now we never saw them charge the first puddle jumpers they found! so that suggests maybe they were being topped up from the city's so that when the humans got to Atlantis they had enough power to fly, but given time they may have failed as well...

Comment

it is a rechargable "battery" (for the lack of a better expression) - we see in the episode "the tower" a lot of "dead" jumpers (and they work like a charm again, after having been recharged - as sheppard says they got jumpers out of the deal with the people from the tower!)

as for running out of power: take a portable naquadah generator with you and you will not have a problem (they should be able to power one "little" ship - as long as you don't try to do what mckay did (install a hyperdrive on a jumper - you need a bigger generator for that....or say 4-6 mark II generators) or make the jumper produce a shield against really heavy fire)

greetings LAX

Comment

electricity is pretty fundamental and useful

Comment

Originally posted by unknown.entity View Post
                            The ones in Atlantis were abandoned with the gas tank full. I don't believe in recharging batteries, at least not that way. The Janus jumper was used for how long only god knows and jack managed to use it at the original time line and even on the alternate one after it was found on Egypt. Add to it's age 4k years and it still worked. Do we know if that jumper was destroyed after the time line got fixed?
                            sigpic
                            - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

Originally posted by Steelbox View Post
                              The ones in Atlantis were abandoned with the gas tank full. I don't believe in recharging batteries, at least not that way. The Janus jumper was used for how long only god knows and jack managed to use it at the original time line and even on the alternate one after it was found on Egypt. Add to it's age 4k years and it still worked. Do we know if that jumper was destroyed after the time line got fixed?
                              my guess is that they still have the jumper or maybe even 2 of em as the one sg1 and alternate sg1 used should have been where they found the camera and if it wasnt there did it go? is the alternate alternate sg1 still around exploring the galaxy?

ouch time travel makes my head ache

Comment

As demonstrated in the SG1 episode Line in the Sand, the Ori, whose technological level was similar to the Lanteans, were observed using crystal power sources for their staff weapons capable of powering Arthur's Mantle to cover a whole village for at least a short time. The crystal was said to be compatible with the Mantle, and it is not out of the question that the Lanteans possessed a similar technology, probably on a larger scale for Puddle Jumpers. Whether this crystal would be refuelled or replaced when it ran out of energy is unknown.

Comment

Working...
                                X