Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by morrismike View Post
    the 30% of orion release with for taking out a hive not a hatak
    I know, which is why I said "I'm not sure how you could say that many (Drones) would be needed by seeing The Queen."
    Those two hives in The Queen were almost level pegging in that battle, then the Puddle Jumper comes along and basically ends the one that faced Teyla's Hive.
    I really don't see how you could say 30% of a couple hundred drones would be needed to do in a Hive from scratch, not when the Puddle Jumper wasn't even striking any critical systems, those were random pot shots.
    those big nukes impacted the shields of the hataks, they did not detonate (chemical explosion not nuke)
    What's the point in that?
    There would be no point in mentioning the yields if they weren't in use.
    No one mentions any chemical explosions, the ships are severely shaken and the shields appear to absorb a lot of energy.
    I would think the drone uses some electronic "trick" to bypass the shields in the same manner outgoing energy beams are not blocked
    Drones disintegrate matter, which is proven in The Tower when McKay fires one through the floors of the city ship.
    Where has it been stated that Drones use an electronic trick to bypass shields?
    The only time something like a trick is mentioned is with the shield modulators in SG1, nothing like that has been stated on Drones.
    Drones however light up and appear to emit a surrounding field, this and the disintegrating matter thing seems to point to some kind of energy field or damaging barrier being used in drones.

I don't doubt whatever barrier is being used by drones may match the frequency of shields being used by the target it's hitting, but I doubt just a lone electrical trick is all that's in use.

As far outgoing energy weapons not being blocked, surely that's more to do with the shields allowing that through, just like missiles don't get blocked.
    Just like a one way mirror.

Comment

No one is contesting the burrowing ability of a drone. The matter disentigration is just that and probably has nothing to do with shield penetration.

The queen showed a hive being pummeled with shep (having knowledge of hive construction) sucker punching it.

It was clearly stated the nukes impacted on the shields not detonating in front. Big difference between a chemical explosions of rocket fuel and the charges on the fissile material to an actual nuclear explosion.

My logic for the "electronic trick" is that it uses little energy. It would explain how drones bounce off 304 shield (and apparently toilet lid shields too) yet are soooo effective on others.

Comment

Originally posted by Rise Of The Phoenix View Post
        I didn't miss anything.
        I got exactly what you were getting at and I said if a drone uses some kind of energy field to penetrate it's target then there would still be energy for the shield of whoever it's targeting to deal with.
        You can't just make energy disapear.
        What you're suggesting is impossible.

Drones may appear to be weak explosives, but that isn't all they have to damage their target, a single one can disintegrate the matter of many floors going straight up and out of the cealing of an Ancient city ship.

I doubt anyone could defeat a swarm of thousands of drones.
        If the Ancients used enough of them they'd probably obliterate any target.

BTW I'm not saying some race couldn't make shields that deal progressively better with the Drone's technology, but there is a limit, you can't just make energy into nothing!

One drone on it's own may appear to be weak, but a slightly larger number of them is still dangerous and a swarm of many more are very lethal.
        btw we have no idea how a drone gets past shields. so the energy field you think a drone has is made up!

I am not questioning what a drone can do to a ship when it hits it but if the shield cheating tech is counted then the drone would not have the power the take the shields down by force and not even a 1000 drone for that matter

Comment

Originally posted by morrismike View Post
          No one is contesting the burrowing ability of a drone. The matter disentigration is just that and probably has nothing to do with shield penetration.
          The fact that a drone can both disintegrate matter and penetrate weaker or less advanced shields implies that the weapon is designed to do both.
          You don't know that the matter disintegration doesn't have an effect on shields.
          Sounds to me like an energy field of some kind could do that.
          The queen showed a hive being pummeled with shep (having knowledge of hive construction) sucker punching it.
          Perhaps Shep has knowledge of Hive construction, but he didn't exactly have time to think hit here, here and so on seven or whatever times to target those special points on the ship, point here is few Drones were used to deal a crippling blow to that Hive.
          There wouldn't normally be a shield or anything that could block the Drones path with a Hive, they usually go straight through Darts.
          Whether it was a sucker punch from a Puddle Jumper or a straight battle from an Aurora it doesn't matter, the same level of damage would've happened.
          It was clearly stated the nukes impacted on the shields not detonating in front. Big difference between a chemical explosions of rocket fuel and the charges on the fissile material to an actual nuclear explosion.
          Do you have an actual quote stating that?
          My logic for the "electronic trick" is that it uses little energy. It would explain how drones bounce off 304 shield (and apparently toilet lid shields too) yet are soooo effective on others.
          The Ancient satellite uses little energy, yet it still flaws an untouched Hive.
          A Mark 2 Naqueda generator isn't exactly a battery and one of those was drained quite quickly when it was first hooked up to Atlantis's chair.
          BTW we don't know exactly what happened with the Ori, you don't even know Drones bounced off of the Ori's shields, for all we know a couple could've got through, hit a few parts of the hull and the Ori ship could've jumped away before anymore drones made it to the ship.
          Also Ancient Ancient drones have never been shown to be shot at 304 shields only Asuran ones have.

Originally posted by mickhhh View Post
          btw we have no idea how a drone gets past shields. so the energy field you think a drone has is made up!
          Erm they don't get shot down by the Wraith or anyone else, logically they would be if they didn't have some kind of energy barrier.
          They'd be destroyed easily if they were shot at.
          I am not questioning what a drone can do to a ship when it hits it but if the shield cheating tech is counted then the drone would not have the power the take the shields down by force and not even a 1000 drone for that matter
          There's logic behind my thinking that Drones have an energy field surrounding them as I've pointed out above, there's been no mention of shield cheating tech on Ancient or Asuran Drones.
          That's not to say that any energy barrier can't match frequencies of enemy shields, but to say the Ancients would make one thing to disintegrate matter and one separate thing to beat a shield seems like an inefficient use of space for such a small device as a drone, an energy field generator that defends the drone, breaks down matter and harms a shield seems more space efficient to me.

Comment

Working...
          X