Ancient energy beam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
    That would be much, much worse than what they did. For all the plotholes in "Enemy at the Gate," they, at the very least, had the Superhive defeated without drawing some uber-powerful superweapon from their back pocket. As bad as the wormhole drive was, a Lantean Superdreadnaught would be about ten times worse, especially if it wasn't destroyed by the end of the episode.
    No you just play it differently. They don't get any additional ZPM's so the only way they can reactivate the Dreadnaught is to strip the one from Atlantis leaving the city unprotected while they go to fight the Super Hive.

Then have the other Wraith attack Atlantis en-masse. Have Daedalus, Apollo and the Travellers take on the entire Wraith Fleet (dozens of Hives, hundreds of Cruisers) to defend the city, it's the Wraith's last-ditch attempt at victory.

At the end the Wraith are utterly defeated as the Dreadnaught finally takes down the Super Hive over Earth and comes back to Pegasus to join in the battle towing Sun Tzu and Hammond like the Asgard once towed Prometheus.

They then have to shut the Dreadnaught down again to put the ZPM back in Atlantis.

Too epic?
    XSGCOM: Goa'uld Defence - A Stargate/X-COM Crossover Fanfic

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
      That would be much, much worse than what they did. For all the plotholes in "Enemy at the Gate," they, at the very least, had the Superhive defeated without drawing some uber-powerful superweapon from their back pocket. As bad as the wormhole drive was, a Lantean Superdreadnaught would be about ten times worse, especially if it wasn't destroyed by the end of the episode.
      I'd argue that the super weapon was super idiocy on the Wraith part.
      Everything was so ******* forced in that episode it's really awful on all points, but I guess that's the level of Stargate now... perfectly in line with the two direct to DVD flicks.

A better version would have simply been to avoid involving Earth at all, and finding something more original and smart than naughty hive threatens Earth or Atlantis... again.
      Man, that's worse than Death Star VIII.

Hey, what about an episode which had in fact little to do with the Wraith arc (notice it didn't move a lot anyway)?

What about a movie like... Star Trek's first film? This one had all you need. Mystery, action, epic stuff, poetry.
      The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by TheAccended View Post
        The Ancient Satellite was more than one gun. If you look at its shape. It also, at least to me, didn't look nearly as big as everyone says it does. It was designed to be powered by a ZPM. The only reason it took so long to power up was because the naq generator couldn't output much energy. Had it been powered by a ZPM it might not have been destroyed so easily.

To answer the question of the previous poster. In all logic there should be noway that the Asgard or any other group, with exception of the Ori, would be able to touch the Ancients technological in offensive or defensive power. They were a society dedicated to full scientific research with millions of years of time to grow and improve. Even if they experienced periods of stagnation their technology should still dwarf everyone else. Following that logic, even if the ancients, focus was only on defensive tech, they should be able to create sheilds for anything they have that are impregnable to what everyone else can throw at them. By the end of SGA everyone was to close to being on an even playing field and I feel it made the show less interesting.
        I wanna point out that the Asgard solid-stream plasma beam was able to destroy an Ori ship w/ a few hits.
        We need to consider the Asgard had the teh know=how to do that.
        If you're interested in reading my longest fanfic story, which is an action/adventure story involving the elusive Furlings (as well as if you want to read the others), please click the link below.
        [URL="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6888222/1/Tauri_Furling_First_Contact_and_Alliance[/URL]

RIP Sep 2010 to beloved gateworld.net member and forum contributor Weedle, very skilled soldier with military special operations, a wonderful human being, and a friend to so many on gateworld. May we keep his memory close.

Comment

Why wasn't the plans for the dakara weapon in any ancient database? Recreating that as a last defence for earth would have been the best thing imo. As soon as the super-hive appeared near earth (Assuming the dakara-weapon was keyed to rip apart only wraith technology) it would have been taken apart at the atomic level in seconds..?

Comment

Why they have never made ZPM's either is a mytery but alas that would not only make it too easy but lets do some pretend science here

That Langrantian Satellite used capacitors which basically take the relativly low power out put of the Naquada generator and store it until its at firing strength.
            McKay has tried to replicate it. SGA Ep 2.06 Trinity, where he takes the Ancient energy weapon and tries to use Zero Point energy to power the gun. Now that system uses a slightly different method to the charge and fire the gun, but the principle is the same. Power source > capacitor > weapon. It kinda overloaded and I suppose the saying 'once bitten, twice shy' means he probly hasn't been allowed to carry on that branch of research.

Also Prof Bill Lee, I can't remember the episode, but she presents an energy weapon to group of pres that is rigged to overload and fail. This suggests that they are trying but havent perfected the tech.

The Asgard would never help the human's to develop weapons, it has been that way from the start, 2 reasons 1. They won't give away anything that can be used against them, 2. unnaturaly advancing a civilisation's technology has lead to bad consequences. Refer to the Tollan from SG-1 who claimed to have given tech to other worlds only to see those worlds destroy each other for the weapons.
            hope this helped

Comment

Originally posted by Krups View Post
              Why they have never made ZPM's either is a mytery but alas that would not only make it too easy but lets do some pretend science here

That Langrantian Satellite used capacitors which basically take the relativly low power out put of the Naquada generator and store it until its at firing strength.
              McKay has tried to replicate it. SGA Ep 2.06 Trinity, where he takes the Ancient energy weapon and tries to use Zero Point energy to power the gun. Now that system uses a slightly different method to the charge and fire the gun, but the principle is the same. Power source > capacitor > weapon. It kinda overloaded and I suppose the saying 'once bitten, twice shy' means he probly hasn't been allowed to carry on that branch of research.
              No, in Trinity it was stated that the Zero Point Generator was hooked directly up to the weapon with no capacitor in between, so that the weapon would fire constantly without having to recharge.
              "So, what's your impression of Alar?"
              "That he is concealing something."
              "Like what?"
              "I am unsure. He is concealing it."

"Well, according to Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity, there’s nothing in the laws of physics to prevent it. Extremely difficult to achieve, mind you – you need the technology to manipulate black holes to create wormholes not only through points in space but time."
              "Not to mention a really nice DeLorean."
              "Don’t even get me started on that movie!"
              "I liked that movie!"

Comment

Working...
              X