Asgard Beam weapon vs Drones. which is the all around better weapon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
    it wasn't very long in that battle. the episodes notes that most repairs were done underway, IE in the intergalactic journey. shields were finally operational on a useful level. the weapons systems weren't even properly done yet and the forced fire clearly did damage as they could no longer switch back to shields.

even though i have a theory which explains that, it really isn't any different from what we've come to expect from them.

my theory states that the energy DOES get leaked in realspace, but as a form of energy which barely interacts with normal materials.
    Did you see the hits they were taking after they re-routed power to the drones? That was most likely the cause of not being able to get shields back up, not the shunting of power to them.

The drones are obviously not powered by the actual energy device such as a ZPM for the simple fact is they are not physically connected. I'd say the reason an antartica sized assault used so much energy was maintaining a neural link to that many drones at once.

Sig by Draygon.

Comment

I always had the impression that the Drones have their own Energy source. Maybe they are just charged ones by any Powersource and after that dont need further Input. Though I dont understand why the Chair needs a ZPM in the first place, we have seen similar technology that we could just hook up to our Powergrid. (Those Chairs the SGC wanted to use for training)

Can just somebody explain to me why the Asgard Beams are supposed to be without limit? I mean that every shot should theoretically take alot of Energy, so the power source should be depleted at some point. Doesnt need to happen fast, but still.
      Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
      Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
      There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

Originally posted by tomstone View Post
        I always had the impression that the Drones have their own Energy source. Maybe they are just charged ones by any Powersource and after that dont need further Input. Though I dont understand why the Chair needs a ZPM in the first place, we have seen similar technology that we could just hook up to our Powergrid. (Those Chairs the SGC wanted to use for training)

Can just somebody explain to me why the Asgard Beams are supposed to be without limit? I mean that every shot should theoretically take alot of Energy, so the power source should be depleted at some point. Doesnt need to happen fast, but still.
        Let's assume that a mkII at 10 MWe powers the uberbeam with a buffer. The beam only fires a few seconds at a time so the instanteous release with a buffer is huge. The weapon would run quite nicely off a decent power supply. I would like to think a 304 has a 1000 MWe reactor of some sorts with an uber buffer.

Comment

Originally posted by morrismike View Post
          If they are ruptured and you draw power thru them, energy is lost or cannot find its way to the destination.
          Which is why there would have to be safety protocols in place to either bypass them or seal them off or the energy "lost" will have be dissipated in some other way, which will be extremely dangerous.

Comment

Originally posted by Giantevilhead View Post
            Which is why there would have to be safety protocols in place to either bypass them or seal them off or the energy "lost" will have be dissipated in some other way, which will be extremely dangerous.
            Yeah, it could explode if it interacted with other systems (like a spark) or could just cause huge amoutns of radiation damage to the ship and kill the crew. All depends on the form of energy i guess.

Sig by Draygon.

Comment

Working...
            X