This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blue Banrigh
    I thought I might ressurect this thread to ask this question rather than start a new one, but is Atlantis still anchored to the ocean floor, or does it rather float on the top of the water like a boat?

Also, how does it operate as a space ship if there are no airlocks? I mean they could use the shield, but McKay did say that keeping the shield on 24/7 would equal a big waste of energy.
    keeping the shield on 24/7 would be a waste of energy for us but the Anquiatus had access to lots of ZPM's probably. also even powering the shield at full strength a ZPM lasts for over 3,000 years.

Comment

An interesting find; if you draw lines conneting the nine cevrons(SP?) to each other, then look at the center it should look like the bottum of a ZPM...
      Jackson: Oh Please! Teal’c’s like one of the deepest people I know. He’s so deep. Come on! Tell em how deep you are. You’ll be lucky if you understand this.
      Teal’c: My depth is immaterial to this conversation.
      Jackson: (Excited) Oh!! See?
      O’Neill: No more beer for you.

"Nu ani Anquietas"
      We are the Ancients

Comment

well right now they sort of have there hands full dealing with the wriath and trying to find power sources and technology to use in there defence, the transporters already work so they figure, if they work leave them alone, we dont have to know how, we just have to know that they work, now come on we are goin to m4a watever to look for zpms, it works they dont care how, maybe if they get some spare time they will check it out but they are kind of dealing with the wraith now so they dont have time to try and figure out how every single piece of technology works, good observations though

Comment

I wonder... could the gate be used to reset a ZPM, after all doesn't a wormhole exgist in subspace?
          Jackson: Oh Please! Teal’c’s like one of the deepest people I know. He’s so deep. Come on! Tell em how deep you are. You’ll be lucky if you understand this.
          Teal’c: My depth is immaterial to this conversation.
          Jackson: (Excited) Oh!! See?
          O’Neill: No more beer for you.

"Nu ani Anquietas"
          We are the Ancients

Comment

Here are a few ideas/explanations.... I don't know if anyone posted these up, but here they are anyway.

The ancients don't leave any text books or anything of that sort behind because they use the repositories as basically information downloads, sort of like the Matrix but faster and a lot more... That means every Ancient knows what the other knows as well at whatever age they're ready to recieve this.

The Asgard maybe researching it, but they are not as creative and illogical as humans are. However, they aren't schmucks, but they wouldn't necessarily put things together as quickly or try daring experimentation to figure something out. This is why they needed SG-1 to fight the replicators because they think too logically. Thus, they're trying to figure out the Ancient library with a narrow view, and they maybe using a computer to do it. If so, they probably have to go through some sort of encryption and then sort the information afterwards. The Asgard had better things to do with their time... like fight the replicators and clone.....

Also, in one of the episodes of SG-1, it was stated that the Ancients had hit the technological peak, and they were looking into something more physical... Ascension into higher planes. With that came more knowledge of the universe, and that is what they focused on. The government of the Ancients seemed to be ruled by a council of elders, and I don't think there was much of an economy anymore. Not between Ancients anyway because everything they would ever need or want could have been easily be created and produced. They probably were more focused on exploration and discovery than material needs. Moreover, the council wasn't too lenient on the idea of time travel, which makes me guess that they would approve and disapprove certain types of research. I'm more curious on who's the poor fella who had to deliver all the stargates.

Also, Jack has the gene coincidently enough... I don't know if it was before or after the repository, but he has it now. I'm assuming that Teal'c couldn't use it because that machine probably detected for Goa'uld lifesigns or remains, or humans can not use the machine without the gene. I'm not really sure since Jack is the only one who has used it. The Asgard has never confirmed using it themselves, but probably by computer as suggested somewhere in the forum which is probably encrypted.

~Fin

Comment

in response to liquid blues post at the top of the page, i didnt get around to reading all of it but about the gate, i dont think that the stargate was original in atlantis and left behind, first the stargate in atlantis was the first of it's kind, second their dhd looked like it was originaly built with atlantis, this would lead me to believe that atlantis was built soley to go to the pegasus galaxy because why would a city such as atlantis need a stargate, firsti t was a flying city, and by the looks of the stargate probably the first of its size and magnitude, if they were just going to build a flying city, i doubt that they would build it with a stargate, and if they were going to use it just to put stargates on other planets i, doubt they would build a brand new gate, put it in a brand new city, and then just use it to put gates on planets, like any smaller SHIP could do. all of these points lead me to the conclusion that atlantis was built soley to go to pegasus and spread life there, the ancients could have had other flying cities but i doubt that they would have stargates on them. all of my previous points can explain the two gates on earth, since the other gate was found in antartica, and so was the outpost, this leads me to assume that that area wasthe ancients main point of focus, this leads farther to believe that the gate in antartica is indeed the original earth gate and the atlantis one was built soley for pegasus.

Comment

Originally posted by LiquidBlue
                I also fear that the Atlantis team's familiarity with Ancient technology may be inconsistantly portrayed from one episode to another. For example, in 103, "Hide and Seek", Dr. McKay is able to instruct Lt. Ford over the radio how to bypass some frozen door controls. Thus Dr. McKay has either already taken a look at the door controls and come to understand them to a small degree, or he has a familiarity Ancient systems architecture. In 110, "The Storm", he is able to look up the control codes for the grounding stations from the computer. These examples seem to indicate that Ancient technology is not beyond the abilities of the Atlantis team to operate or even crudely understand.
                .. or, he found out how to control the door while trying to break into someone's quarters... just a thought
                There is nothing wrong with a man taking pride in his looks... and smell.

"You speak of knowledge, Judicator? You speak of experience? I have journeyed through the darkness between the most distant stars. I have beheld the births of negative-suns and borne witness to the entropy of entire realities..."

Comment

With the teaser from the end of "Intruder" and the revelations from "Avalon" maybe it is time to bring this thread back.

With the ZPM pluged in, what has the Atlantis team found? Have they found the stargate factory? How old is Atlantis? Is it based on an even older design? Was the the desire to build Atlantis, travel to Pegasus, and create a stargate network there based upon an already established pattern in Ancient culture?

Comment

Holy, are you guys in the States already on "Intruder!" We get episode 2 tommorow. Sorry.

I wouldn't expect to find a Stargate factory, I would more expect to find a Stargate generating device, that uses energy and converts it into matter as a Stargate, and they could either go around to all the planets they want, or they could have really powerful technology and create them right from a room in Atlantis. I believe they went to Pegasus to seed life and nothing more, they placed Stargates to accelerate travel, so they could watch and interact with theses cultures more freely.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
                      Holy, are you guys in the States already on "Intruder!" We get episode 2 tommorow. Sorry.

I wouldn't expect to find a Stargate factory, I would more expect to find a Stargate generating device, that uses energy and converts it into matter as a Stargate, and they could either go around to all the planets they want, or they could have really powerful technology and create them right from a room in Atlantis. I believe they went to Pegasus to seed life and nothing more, they placed Stargates to accelerate travel, so they could watch and interact with theses cultures more freely.

Owen Macri
                      personally i would think they would have a ship designed specifically for that purpose instead of taking up space in Atlantis.
                      for one thing it would be more efficient. the ship travels around using hyperdrive and gathers the raw materials neccasary and produces the gates and DHD's and then sets them up on the planet. for it to be in Atlantis, they would have to bring the raw materials, (or not depending if they had energy to matter conversions) manufaccture the stargate, then transport it up to the ships and then take it to the intended planet(s).

also since we have yet to see ancient beaming technology that would be problematic. we have only seen evidence that the ancient beaming technology was point to point in the nature of the "closets" and the rings, both of which would have been to small for a stargate. its entirely possible they had larger versions of the rings, but we have yet to see them, so until then the canon for Ancient teleportation is that it was limited to specific "hard" locations and only between those points.

Comment

I see your point, I agree, Atlantis was not made specifically for creating new Stargates, so a specific ship for it, would probably be more logical.

You are right, we haven't seen Ancient beaming technology, I think it is safe to assume that they have it, but until we see it, we can't assume that they have it. So if they do not, which I really hope against, they could always deploy the gates manually.

Actually, we have seen Ancient beaming technology, the Stargates. While the Stargates do use wormholes, they still dematerialize and rematerialize matter, as well they transmit energy and information, the Stargate technology could easily be altered to work as a Star Trek-Like transporter.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
                          I see your point, I agree, Atlantis was not made specifically for creating new Stargates, so a specific ship for it, would probably be more logical.

You are right, we haven't seen Ancient beaming technology, I think it is safe to assume that they have it, but until we see it, we can't assume that they have it. So if they do not, which I really hope against, they could always deploy the gates manually.

Actually, we have seen Ancient beaming technology, the Stargates. While the Stargates do use wormholes, they still dematerialize and rematerialize matter, as well they transmit energy and information, the Stargate technology could easily be altered to work as a Star Trek-Like transporter.

Owen Macri
                          im not saying they didnt have beaming tech because we know they did, the rings and atlantis' closets. it would be a simple matter to have an industrial size version of the rings for transporting large objects, we just havent seen it yet.

also it would not be likely that Atlantis would have a stargate production facility built in. i dont think there has ever been any indication that Atlantis was built in response to discovering Pegasus, and why would they need to make stargates in atlantis in the MW? its likely they have some kind of extensive production facilities if for no other reason to make things like PJ and such before they established off world manufacturing sites. but even then i doubt they had dedicated facilities for making gates, it would be extremely inefficient.

Comment

The rings were probably the kind of tech that the gouald could reproduce after all anubis could only produce a asgard transporter that needed a location beacon and as for atliantis the teloporter system is affective as it allows people to move around from area to area, but does not create a major security risk. If the ancients do have more advanced telopters they might be shown on ancient ship if any are dicovered either that or this is shows that the asgards are in some ways more advanced than the ancients.

HER'AK: "No matter what you have endured, you have never experienced the likes of what Anubis is capable of."
                            O'NEILL:"You ended that sentence with a preposition. *******!"

Comment

I pretty much agree with you here, Atlantis was a city, they could have just sent it to Pegasus because it didn't have anything else to do. I have a feeling that we will get a backstory on this, based on the fact that in the first episode they showed the two ancients who looked angry at eachother, to leave the story open.

However it could have just been created for Pegasus, we have no indication either way, so we will have to wait.

Owen Macri

Comment

It didn't seem like the ancients were angry at each other, it seemed to me that they had a close personal relationship, possibly romantic and that he was sad that she was staying. Why she stayed, no Idea.

Comment

Working...
                                X