No announcement yet.

Space gates, why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't be the ancients. The gate network is set up for common folk. You dial an address by random, step through, and explode in decompression in orbit above a planet? That's not in the ancients playbook.

If the ancients wanted a space gate then they would have put some security measure in place so unsuspecting travelers couldn't just dial it randomly.

Someone else moved the gates to orbit.

Wraith maybe...they obviously designed their darts to fit through.

Assurans...they're cruel enough to do it. Would also explain the wierd thruster/dhd add-ons. We saw them in the Atlantis pilot as well.

Could have been locate ancients on those planets, or other advanced humans with similar tech that moved them up to orbit for their own reasons. Note, no space gates have been found in milky way(O'Neill input the full galaxy gate list into the SGC computer)

It's a big dwarf galaxy...could have been someone we haven't met yet(or ever will with the cancelation).
    Stargate: ROTA wiki

Comment

i thought it was so they could observe a planet without being observed. that way they could watch but not influence, i mean the jumper can go invisible and the loud gate is in orbit so you could fly in and go invisible and the planet would never know anything happened, but if they built around a planet gate and you tried i think they would notice i think the network was set up for the ancients and then became used by the humans later, i mean they weren't used for a while the people could have learned to use them like the people in the milkyway did

Comment

Originally posted by Aer'ki View Post
        I can't be the ancients. The gate network is set up for common folk. You dial an address by random, step through, and explode in decompression in orbit above a planet? That's not in the ancients playbook.

If the ancients wanted a space gate then they would have put some security measure in place so unsuspecting travelers couldn't just dial it randomly.
        I suspect it was more to keep the local population from getting out and to prevent some from being alerted to advanced technology existing so they could watch them develop naturally. Finding gate addresses through random dialing is rather difficult and the chances that some Human would've found the address to a space gate is rare. The chancesthat a primitive people will be able to do it is even rarer. But on the off chance that someone did manage to figure out the address for a space gate, I don't see a huge problem with the Ancients being fine with it preventing interference with their experiements. Afterall, I'd suppose most everyone is smart enough to send a scout to unknown planets so the loss of life should be minimal and random gate travel is dangerous anyway. Therefore, if someone is willing to take the risk on, would the Ancients really go all out and waste a lot of extra time and resources to create something that would protect them a small portion of them from themselves?

They might've even gone the extra step and given Humans outside of space gate worlds a whole set of safe gate addresses and told them that it wasn't safe to try to try to dial the gate randomly. So if they tried to find random worlds after that and got themselves killed at a space gate, it's their own fault.

Note, no space gates have been found in milky way(O'Neill input the full galaxy gate list into the SGC computer)
        True, but no evidence of the Ancients creating Humans before the Dakara device did its thing was never found in the Milky Way either. So, if the idea that they put them in space for the purposes of their experiements is correct then they wouldn't have needed to them prior to the Pegasus galaxy. It's also possible that they simply didn't develop the technology until more recently.
        Last edited by Xaeden; 05 September 2008, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaeden View Post
          I suspect it was more to keep the local population from getting out and to prevent some from being alerted to advanced technology existing so they could watch them develop naturally. Finding gate addresses through random dialing is rather difficult and the chances that some Human would've found the address to a space gate is rare. The chances that a primitive people will be able to do it is even rarer. But on the off chance that someone did manage to figure out the address for a space gate, I don't see a huge problem with the Ancients being fine with it preventing interference with their experiements. Afterall, I'd suppose most everyone is smart enough to send a scout to unknown planets so the loss of life should be minimal and random gate travel is dangerous anyway. Therefore, if someone is willing to take the risk on, would the Ancients really go all out and wasting a lot of extra time and resources to create something that would protect them a small portion of them from themselves?

They might've even gone the extra step and given Humans outside of space gate worlds a whole set of safe gate addresses and told them that it wasn't safe to try to try to dial the gate randomly. So if they tried to find random worlds after that and got themselves killed at a space gate, it's their own fault.

True, but no evidence of the Ancients creating Humans before the Dakara device did its thing was never found in the Milky Way either. So, if the idea that they put them in space for the purposes of their experiements is correct then they wouldn't have needed to them prior to the Pegasus galaxy. It's also possible that they simply didn't develop the technology until more recently.
          I can kill that theory in one fell swoop...'The Game'

Ancients put surveillance satellites to keep an eye on things and transmit realtime info back to Atlantis...no need for a occasional puddlejumper fly-by. This way is a whole lot more efficient.

Also, these 'experiments' had a gate on the surface...so the idea of a space gate being meant to isolate experiments apparently isn't true.

Comment

Ancients put surveillance satellites to keep an eye on things and transmit realtime info back to Atlantis...no need for a occasional puddlejumper fly-by. This way is a whole lot more efficient.

Also, these 'experiments' had a gate on the surface...so the idea of a space gate being meant to isolate experiments apparently isn't true.
            Not that i support "that theory" (honestly, i havent even read it..), but it doesnt matter to the satelites where the gate is and the gate in "the game" was in orbit, not on the surface.

Covering up scandals and keeping secrets is almost a racial trait.

Isn't it funny how the word 'politics' is made up of the words 'poli' meaning 'many' in Latin, and 'tics' as in 'bloodsucking creatures’?

Comment

So basically, because they could monitor them they would never ever...ever want to go to that planet without needing a hyperspace capable ship? What if the population got sick and they needed to collect some samples or they wanted to do some observation of their own (the satellites didn't transmit realtime images back to Atlantis - realtime data, yes) or the satellites/devices on the planet needed maintenance or what if their goal was to eventually move the gate to the planet when the experiment was over? There are a ton reasons why they'd want a Stargate there. They might've even picked the planet in the first place because it had a gate and brought the components for constructing the satellites through it. Then they could've modified the gate and moved it into orbit with jumpers for all we know.

I don't think I'm following. Do you mean there are various Human worlds with gates on the surface? The speculative idea isn't that all Human worlds were used as part of their experiments. It's that they created Humans throughout the galaxy and then isolated some for studying this or that.

Comment

Originally posted by Character View Post
                the gate in "the game" was in orbit, not on the surface.
                Really? I was going from memory and didn't check the DVD. I thought they were on foot when they first checked out the planet. Maybe I was wrong on that one. I apologize if I was, I should have checked.

Still, the reconaissance idea for the spacegate doesn't fly when you have the satellite network for that.

Comment

INDEED LMAO! that woulda been a prank to die for! LMAO!

lol well my guess of the space gate was for jumpers to explore a planet that is near by a planet or two so why put a gate on each planet than put a gate in between? XD

Comment

Originally posted by Zalenka View Post
                    A quick question, it may have been asked but I couldn't find it.

Who put the Pegasus gates in space? It doesn't seem like a Ancient thing to do, not everyone had jumpers. It also seems odd that the Wraith would do it as they would lose their food supply.

They are quiet capable of flying darts through planetary gates. Maybe the ancients did it to make te wraith's job harder?

well the ancients would have had to do it because the thrusters and powersource mounted on the gate look distinctly ancient and not organic like the wraith. and why they put them in space i have 2 theories:

1) where the space gates are there used to be satalites like from the episode the game and perhaps back then there were like hundreds of planets with those satalites and in the event they got damaged they could use a jumper and send a repair crew to fix them. and possibly overtime with the war with the wraith, the wraith destroyed them all before culling all of the population on the planet which could be why there might not be any humans on space gate planets anymore.

2) this is less likely but it could have been a security precaution. this way if they had bases on those planets, they wouldnt be vulnerable to a fot soilder invasion, just darts and then they would have some warning and could scramble their puddlejumpers to take them out.

personally i think my first theory is much more plausible than my second.
                    STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

Working...
                    X