Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know if the Pegasus gates are "weaker" than the Milky Way ones, but they certainly seem to be less reliable! I can't remember which episode it is, but there is one where an Atlantis Major has gone nuts and booby traps the DHD. - It explodes, sending components all over the place. McKay more or less gives up on the idea of getting the gate operational again.

By contrast, we have seen several instances in SG1 where the team manually dial the Stargate to get home, using a process the then Captain Carter came up with. The Torment of Tantalus (Lovely episode, if you haven't seen it, do!) and Prisoners stand out from Seasons 1 and 2, - The last one I recall is in Season 10's "Bad Guys" where Colonel Carter is not present, with Colonel Mitchell and Vala rotating the bevel. - All three occasions the gate lacked a DHD, and an alternate power source was used.

There is another problem. Not only do the Pegasus gates lack a physically rotatable bevel (less interesting to look at in my opinion,) but the Pegasus gates also need power to illuminate the constelation patterns. - In Rising, the gate goes dark while the city is in motion. - Plus there appears to be no manual dial system of any kind!

Maybe its bad karma. Earths gate is a complete ring, with a physicval offowrld counterpart, whereas the Atlantis gate is a three quarter job, and its offworld counterparts are all CG!
    Converting a human body into energy and sending it millions of light years through a wormhole. Bloody insanity!
    Come on, how often do you get the chance to go to an alien planet?

I was a'ready on an alien planet!

- Poisoning the Well, Atlantis Season 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Daniel Jackson View Post
      And we have agreed that the 48 hours gate destruction is a mistake if it was destroyed, because i think it is seen in the pictures that the gate isnt destroyed, and that the dust and alkesh pieces just fly at the "camera" , buuuuuuuuuuut, thats just me, unlike jenks i dont push my opinion on people, so anyone who insists that the gate was destroyed is welcome to, but im trying to find people who think how i think. thats all.
      I agree, the gate wasn't destroyed in 48 hours. It looks more like dust and shrapnel between the camera and the gate than the gate actually breaking apart.

The Pegasus gates look more fragile than MW ones.

Easy explanation, the Pegasus gates are second generation gates, and any features in the MW ones that weren't used by the ancients were removed to make them less complicated to build.

but there is one where an Atlantis Major has gone nuts and booby traps the DHD. - It explodes
      Idon't think i've seen that episode but a grenade inside the dhd will make it explode. And that to me counts as booby trapping it.
      Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by titan_hq View Post
        I agree, the gate wasn't destroyed in 48 hours. It looks more like dust and shrapnel between the camera and the gate than the gate actually breaking apart.

The Pegasus gates look more fragile than MW ones.

Easy explanation, the Pegasus gates are second generation gates, and any features in the MW ones that weren't used by the ancients were removed to make them less complicated to build.

Idon't think i've seen that episode but a grenade inside the dhd will make it explode. And that to me counts as booby trapping it.
        Its the same thing with technology in "the real world".
        New mobile phones- break really easily, fall down or st.
        new laptops- also much more fragile, i remeber a phone that i could throw for fun and it would still work later.
        "FOR DISTANT WORLDS WE PLEDGE TO RESPECT"

Comment

Working...
        X