Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Atlantis and PG stargates made from Orichalcum?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atlantis and PG stargates made from Orichalcum?

We all know it, Plato said that Atlantis had metal and was made of metal only second to gold. Back then Gold was thought of being sacred to the ancient Greeks and Egyptians.

What if Orichalcum is a real metal that the Ancients made in the MW/PG galaxy like Naquada and Trinium?
    I just read some info on it online, and it seems that not only greeks called it Orichalcum. The Incas had a similar name for a type of metal and civilizations through out the world had similar names for metals.

It's an error to assume because the story was made by Plato we should start from Latin or Greek as a source of the linguistic root. An alloy was known by the Incas with the same name qoricallco and some linguists think quechua has roots in many languages, even proto-greek and etrurian.Hence, forget Latin & Greek for a while and search into the past, whoever can!
    Can anyone say Ancient how much older then that can you get?
    In Greek Orichalcum means "mountain of metal" which is a good name for the metal that made city size ships.

Anyway what you think of this theory?
    Since we have no information what so ever from what the SGs in PG and Atlantis itself are made from, this sounds like a reasonable explanation.

Tain

sigpic

I'm sure they would be able to work it in though I doubt they would call it that, they would just say it's the only metal plato knew or something, still a cool theory though.
    Best quotes ever:
    O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
    Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
    Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
    Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
    Thor:I like the yellow ones
    O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

I found about Orichalcum ages ago and kept thinking that it would be a nice introduction into the show as the name of the metal that the Ancients and Ori used in the construction of their ships and technology. Good find though.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

No, naquadah was used because of its superconductive capabilities. There really is nothing else, except for the materials orlin used.

Best Stargate quote:
        Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
        Green is your friend.

Comment

Maybe Orichalcum was an alloy of metals just like the O'Neill's hull was made from an alloy of Naquadah, Trinium and Carbon?
          It would so fit with the legend of Atlantis on Earth. I mean it was passed down generation by generation by the Lanteans when they decided to stay back on Earth together with how Atlantis was sunk under the ocean and everything.
          The reason I think that's the metal that Atlantis and the PG gates are made from is because SGA has never even mentioned Naquadah in PG. I don't think that it even exists there the only element that they mentioned in both MW and PG was neutronium(sp?) which was what the replicators were made from.
          Maybe we will find out in the later seasons what is the mysterious metal that is used in PG?

sigpic

Comment

Well there is mention of a fissionable yet non-radioactive material in the SGA episode “Condemned”:

MAGISTRATE: This section of the city is devoted to scientific research. Our scientists have recently attained success in the enrichment of a fissionable, yet non-radioactive, material to be used in generating power for the city.

McKAY: Fissionable yet non-radioactive? Well, that-that-that-that, is that even possible? What kind of material is it?

MAGISTRATE: It's an ore extracted from a mineral found on our planet. It's quite volatile, but it yields great promise. I'd be very happy to show you the laboratory.

McKAY: I'd be very happy to see it.

Maybe the enriched form of the element has great energy density like Naquadria (& presumably just as volatile) since they were aiming to power their city’s with the stuff, and the depleted form of the material might be useful as a building material like depleted naquadah & this material is what the Ancients called Orichalcum?

Since this is the only mention of an exotic new element in the Pegasus Galaxy I would have to say that the material mentioned in “Condemned” is the most likely candidate.

If they were talking about naquadah, naquadria, trinium McKay wouldn’t have been at such a loss for words when the properties of this mystery material were being listed.

Just some conjectural thoughts on how canon can meet mythology.
            sigpic
            Spoiler:
            Me: “I just wanted to take the Staten Island Ferry…I wasn’t expecting the extraordinary rendition.”
            *Three DHS guys dressed in black pop out of nowhere. *
            DHS: “NOBODY EVER EXPECTS THE EXTRAORDINARY RENDITION!!!”
            DHS: “Our chief weapons are shock-n-awe, enhanced interrogation techniques, and the suspension of habeas corpus.”

Comment

Adamantium There are refrences in history to Adamant Ore. Wolverine was imbued with Adamantium by an Ancients. CANON! TRUE STORY!

Comment

Originally posted by Argosy View Post
                Well there is mention of a fissionable yet non-radioactive material in the SGA episode “Condemned”:

MAGISTRATE: This section of the city is devoted to scientific research. Our scientists have recently attained success in the enrichment of a fissionable, yet non-radioactive, material to be used in generating power for the city.

McKAY: Fissionable yet non-radioactive? Well, that-that-that-that, is that even possible? What kind of material is it?

MAGISTRATE: It's an ore extracted from a mineral found on our planet. It's quite volatile, but it yields great promise. I'd be very happy to show you the laboratory.

Maybe the enriched form of the element has great energy density like Naquadria (& presumably just as volatile) since they were aiming to power their city’s with the stuff, and the depleted form of the material might be useful as a building material like depleted naquadah & this material is what the Ancients called Orichalcum?

Since this is the only mention of an exotic new element in the Pegasus Galaxy I would have to say that the material mentioned in “Condemned” is the most likely candidate.

If they were talking about naquadah, naquadria, trinium McKay wouldn’t have been at such a loss for words when the properties of this mystery material were being listed.

I was thinking the exact same thing when I heard about the material that the Oleseans(sp?) had discovered. When I posted the thread and thought about it , it did made sense that the Lanteans would know about that ore and use it in someway. If it has the same properties as Naquadah that would explain how McCay wanted to power the gate to Earth with the life-forms that were made from energy. Could this be the famous Orichalcum that was minded on Atlantis (Lantes planet?) as Ploto said, and Atlantis itself was made from?

sigpic

Comment

maybe he just rediscovered plain old naquadah.

Originally posted by RepliVeggie View Post
                  Adamantium There are refrences in history to Adamant Ore. Wolverine was imbued with Adamantium by an Ancients. CANON! TRUE STORY!
                  *bows to his genius*

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
                    maybe he just rediscovered plain old naquadah.

Right. See the problem with that is Rodney knows what properties naquadah has & clearly this stuff did not fit the description to him. That’s pretty much what I said in the post you quoted.
                    sigpic
                    Spoiler:
                    Me: “I just wanted to take the Staten Island Ferry…I wasn’t expecting the extraordinary rendition.”
                    *Three DHS guys dressed in black pop out of nowhere. *
                    DHS: “NOBODY EVER EXPECTS THE EXTRAORDINARY RENDITION!!!”
                    DHS: “Our chief weapons are shock-n-awe, enhanced interrogation techniques, and the suspension of habeas corpus.”

Comment

Right. See the problem with that is Rodney knows what properties naquadah has & clearly this stuff did not fit the description to him. That’s pretty much what I said in the post you quoted.
                      Rodney was assigned to the Russian Naquadah generator project before being assigned to the Atlantis expedition so Rodney should know how to identify Naqudah from a description

Comment

Working...
                      X