Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Midway traffic jam (Spoilers for SGA S2 onwards)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wraith_Boy View Post
    Tbh I honestly couldn't see that being the case. You go in a gate, you come out at the next destination. If you can't go to that as it's busy or whatever. You'll most likely be dumped out of the current gate.

I don't think you could go in one gate, find the next is buys. So it keeps hold of your pattern in the buffer then dials backwards & sends you all the way back.

The most logical option is that you go in a gate, if it can't forward you on. Then it expels you right there & then. You then have the option of being able to dial it again at a later time if you so chose, or manually dial another location etc.

However in all honesty, there is no way to come up with a 100% answer. It'll never be shown to happen on the show & if the 0.0000000000001% that it did. They'd probably end up writing a comedy ep about it. Such as the 2 streams met & joined into a single new lifeform or the one persons arm, leg head joins in another body or something like that!
    That would be funny, the best way to be safe is just to go in a jumper so if you are thrown into space you won't instantaneously die.
    Best quotes ever:
    O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
    Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
    Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
    Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
    Thor:I like the yellow ones
    O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

Originally posted by FenRiR FoXz View Post
      neither McKay or Carter would have missed that in the planning phase so there would be a system or failsafe to stop inbound/outbound travellers colliding in mid transit...
      You know how gates can communicate to upload DHD updates and things? Maybe part of the macro the initiates the first wormhole does a quick run down the line of gates and tells them all to be 'busy' so no one can initiate a dial-in from the other direction. Maybe the reason they had to switch from MW gates to PG gates at some point was because the gates' way of communicating was different enough that the macro has to send along the busy signal differently.

Speaking of the inter-galactic bridge, how are all the gates powered? I understand you don't need one single massive power source at the sending end because the gates aren't so far apart, but you would still need to have power somewhere along the line to boost the 'signal' as it were. Hrm. Maybe all the gates have naquadah generators tacked onto them, supplying power directly the way the SGC supplies power to the earth gate?

Comment

maeby they weren't stupid and put two lines of gates

O<O<O<O<O<O<O O<O<O<O<O<O<O<
        O midway station O
        O>O>O>O>O>O>O O>O>O>O>O>O>O>

Or put them close enough that if two streams would collide it could just skip one gate in the line where the other stream is.

And if they can relay a subspace message from milkyway to pegasus trough deadalus(dont remember wich ep) they definedly can relay it trough midway station so it is easy to cordinate dials so no collision ever happens.

Comment

Originally posted by PunCra View Post
          maeby they weren't stupid and put two lines of gates

O<O<O<O<O<O<O O<O<O<O<O<O<O<
          O midway station O
          O>O>O>O>O>O>O O>O>O>O>O>O>O>

Or put them close enough that if two streams would collide it could just skip one gate in the line where the other stream is.

And if they can relay a subspace message from milkyway to pegasus trough deadalus(dont remember wich ep) they definedly can relay it trough midway station so it is easy to cordinate dials so no collision ever happens.
          I doubt they would have had enough gates for that. It would be the best way to do it though. Or maybe they pu them close enough together so that it could jump a gate if that happened.
          Best quotes ever:
          O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
          Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
          Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
          Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
          Thor:I like the yellow ones
          O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

Originally posted by umopapisdn View Post
            I doubt they would have had enough gates for that. It would be the best way to do it though. Or maybe they pu them close enough together so that it could jump a gate if that happened.
            Well knowing that they had 34 gates and 1 station, if we knew the actual distance between Pegasus and the Milky Way galaxies somone could determine how far apart they are spaced. From the graphic McKay showed they appeared to be spaced evenly. So anyone know the distance between the two?
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rd_alone View Post
              Speaking of the inter-galactic bridge, how are all the gates powered? I understand you don't need one single massive power source at the sending end because the gates aren't so far apart, but you would still need to have power somewhere along the line to boost the 'signal' as it were. Hrm. Maybe all the gates have naquadah generators tacked onto them, supplying power directly the way the SGC supplies power to the earth gate?
              The gates are probably powered like the space gates are in pegaus. three small naqueda reactors, and positioning control system.

As for the gate spacing a standard DHD has a range of about a 100,000 lightyears. Some one else has already done the math. pegaus is about ~3.4 Million Lightyears away.

It takes about 15 minutes to reach midway station. The Station acts a human buffer between the gate networks leaving the last two gates right next to each other.

In Adrift Carter(on midway) and Ellis(on Apollo) talk in real time with each other through the stargate. that shouldn't be possible unless a direct connection has been established, bypassing the gate bridge(which transmits data and people in hops). Though if a stargate has been brought on board the Apollo, the SGC does have the technology to dial Intergalacticly, using the 304's main reactor for a power source. it has never been stated directly on screen but it does make sense.

I doubt if a 304 has enough power to reach all the way home for more than a few seconds but Midway is half way there the power levels would be sustainable, given the fact that they travel 3 million lightyears in weeks.

Comment

Working...
              X