This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non-space-ready races in Pegasus + SpaceGates

How do races in the Pegasus Galaxy who step through the Stargate on foot distinguish between a Gate on land vs a Gate in space? (Not everybody has a MALP equivalent! Or enough MALPS to send spiraling through space)
    Is there a safety mechanism that prevents people not in ships from stepping through or are there always a few dead bodies floating around a Spacegate?
    Is it because most civilizations in the Peg galaxy are less advanced (due to concerns of being culled) and don't do a lot of Gate-travelling? Still, the Ancients must've accounted for these things when they built Space gates.

Well we'll have to assume they do a fair bit of traveling to there allies and friends (like the Athosians and there trading partners). But you'd think atleast Atlantis would have some sort of gate diagnostic on what the condition of the gate and wethers its safe to cross through. But then agian (correct me if im wrong, i havent seen Atlantis in a while) didnt the Wraith put the gates in space for callings?
    But yeah not every gate would have saftey protocalls but another good asomtion would be most races would have had a logg of what planets to vist (a book with gate addresses) for a safe haven and trade. But then how did that idiot Lucius Lavin survive his travels?

But i guess Atlantis can risk sending MALPS due to they can use a jumper to pick it back up...
    Pure.

Comment

Originally posted by PureMarksman View Post
      Well we'll have to assume they do a fair bit of traveling to there allies and friends (like the Athosians and there trading partners). But you'd think atleast Atlantis would have some sort of gate diagnostic on what the condition of the gate and wethers its safe to cross through. But then agian (correct me if im wrong, i havent seen Atlantis in a while) didnt the Wraith put the gates in space for callings?
      But yeah not every gate would have saftey protocalls but another good asomtion would be most races would have had a logg of what planets to vist (a book with gate addresses) for a safe haven and trade. But then how did that idiot Lucius Lavin survive his travels?

But i guess Atlantis can risk sending MALPS due to they can use a jumper to pick it back up...
      Or they just could not know the address to any of the space gates....

Comment

Didn't the Ancients move the Gates into space to slow down the Wraith?

But regardless, we have the Ancient Data Base, I am sure it has a big sign saying "Space or Not Space" somewhere.
        Disliked a recent episode?
        Hate the current season Stargate Atlantis or SG1?
        The writers killed off your favourite character?

Well suck it up Cupcake. It is only a Television Show.

Comment

It was never mentioned why there are space gates, we just have theories. As far as natives to the Pegasus galaxy go, one would assume that they have a list of gate addresses that they somehow compiled. It's unlikely that they would find many gates in the by randomly dialing, (Sg-1 addressed this quite a bit) but they probably have the idea by now that when trying out new addresses it's a bad idea to step through in large groups - Someone probably volunteers to cross through and if it's safe they dial back. Considering they do a lot of traveling (look at how many planets Ronan reached when running, the Genii are on, the Athosians traded with, etc) one would assume they all have a massive list of addresses that they have had knowledge of for a long period of time.

Comment

well the question is how do they know the gate addresses in the first place. they're most likely written down somewhere then some are able to memorise them. In this case they probably are only aware of the ones that lead to planets. if they just hapen to go to space gate then they'll die simple as that.

it seems mainly though that gate travel is only used for trading in pg.
            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaeden View Post
              (look at how many planets Ronan reached when running, the Genii are on, the Athosians traded with, etc) one would assume they all have a massive list of addresses that they have had knowledge of for a long period of time.
              I'd assume that Ronan would have some knoledge of not were he was going but of a few adresses from when he fought the Battle of Sateida. And another assumtion, due to most planets trade with atleast a few others when to people coincedently meet they'd proboloy share there knoldege from there addresses and all there allies addresses.

Also I find it extemley unlikley the Ancients placed the gates in space knowing they had Darts which usually carry Wraith with in them. Also maybe just for effect but in "RISING" when the Wraith first came through the gate they quickly pulled up from facing down (if you watch it in slow-mo the tip of the dart is facing the floor) as if they assumed they would have needed to fly that way not expecting there was going to be a floor. But im sure this will be counterd with the fact they didnt want fly into the DHD.
              But any way i dont think the Ancients would place the gates in space therfore risking innocent traders and evacuating villages lives to stop the wraith from going to a planet they dont evan inhabit.
              Pure.

Comment

I'd assume that Ronan would have some knoledge of not were he was going but of a few adresses from when he fought the Battle of Sateida. And another assumtion, due to most planets trade with atleast a few others when to people coincedently meet they'd proboloy share there knoldege from there addresses and all there allies addresses.
                I agree on both points.

Also I find it extemley unlikley the Ancients placed the gates in space knowing they had Darts which usually carry Wraith with in them. Also maybe just for effect but in "RISING" when the Wraith first came through the gate they quickly pulled up from facing down (if you watch it in slow-mo the tip of the dart is facing the floor) as if they assumed they would have needed to fly that way not expecting there was going to be a floor. But im sure this will be counterd with the fact they didnt want fly into the DHD.
                But any way i dont think the Ancients would place the gates in space therfore risking innocent traders and evacuating villages lives to stop the wraith from going to a planet they dont evan inhabit.
                It's possible they placed them there in response to the Wraith running around before they built ships. However, as the Ancients were moving the gate into orbit the Wraith developed their first dart like ship so they didn't bother trying to move the rest of the gates.

I don't know that I really buy that though - Since the gate bridge is made up of gates from both the Milky Way and the Pegasus galaxy I think it's possible that the Milky Way has spacegates that we've never seen since Earth never had a gateship. Of course it's possible that all those Milky Way gates in the bridge have a DHD floating in space beside them, but why then did Mckay make it sound like they were only harvesting space gates? Wouldn't it have been faster to look for any gates on uninhabited worlds? I personally think that Spacegates were created long before Humans were created as a way to keep less advanced races away from planets that might be of a special interest to them. Then in the Pegasus galaxy they put them in orbit over worlds where they seeded Humans so they could study how they developed in isolation. Anyway, whatever the case there is a lot about these spacegates for us to learn.
                Last edited by Xaeden; 21 October 2007, 03:30 AM.

Comment

It's possible they placed them there in response to the Wraith running around before they built ships. However, as the Ancients were moving the gate into orbit the Wraith developed their first dart like ship so they didn't bother trying to move the rest of the gates.
                  If the Ancients found the primative wraith enough of a threat to have to move the gates i think they would have wiped them out then...

I don't know that I really buy that though - Since the gate bridge is made up of gates from both the Milky Way and the Pegasus galaxy I think it's possible that the Milky Way has spacegates that we've never seen since Earth never had a gateship. Of course it's possible that all those Milky Way gates in the bridge have a DHD floating in space beside them, but why then did Mckay make it sound like they were only harvesting space gates? Wouldn't it have been faster to look for any gates on uninhabited worlds? I personally think that Spacegates were created long before Humans were created as a way to keep less advanced races away from planets that might be of a special interest to them. Then in the Pegasus galaxy they put them in orbit over worlds where they seeded Humans so they could study how they developed in isolation. Anyway, whatever the case there is a lot about these spacegates for us to learn.
                  Well think about it, in more than one episode of SG-1 Sam has mentioned they've visted well over a hundred planets which were unihabited and uninhabitable so it wouldnt have been hard to collect the amount of gates needed for the bridge. And as for DHD's they are probloy stored some were on Earth to stop some like the Lucien Alliance form sending through a bomb knock the bridge of course making it unusable.
                  Pure.

Comment

If the Ancients found the primative wraith enough of a threat to have to move the gates i think they would have wiped them out then...
                    I disagree. I believe that the Wraith were allowed to survive until they figured out how to build ships because they used Stargates to infested world after world like the bugs they were. Humans were being killed in large numbers, Ancient outposts were being attacked and technology ran off with, etc. The Ancients couldn't destroy them because as soon as you get rid of them from one world and moved on to the next, they are already back on that first world thanks to the Stargate. Which is why they might've gotten the idea to make it so these primitive Wraith couldn't use the Stargates to spread. That way the Ancients could have plenty of time to take out the Wraith on each world they currently were on.

Well think about it, in more than one episode of SG-1 Sam has mentioned they've visted well over a hundred planets which were unihabited and uninhabitable so it wouldnt have been hard to collect the amount of gates needed for the bridge. And as for DHD's they are probloy stored some were on Earth to stop some like the Lucien Alliance form sending through a bomb knock the bridge of course making it unusable.
                    No, their DHDs couldn't be on Earth. Each normal Stargate gets it's power supply from a DHD. So in order to dial that gate (even with a jumper) you need a DHD or some other power source attached to it. Spacegates have 3 power nodes attached directly to them, but without them they would be just as powerless as a DHDless Stargate. Also, I fail to see why not having a DHD attached to a gate would prevent someone from sending a bomb through a gate. You only need a DHD to dial out, not dial in and in any case the only way to make a gate unusable is to bury or destroy it. Since you can't bury a Stargate in space and since only Earth has been shown to have a weapon which will destroy a Stargate (Mark IVs) I don't see the issue.

Comment

No, their DHDs couldn't be on Earth. Each normal Stargate gets it's power supply from a DHD. So in order to dial that gate (even with a jumper) you need a DHD or some other power source attached to it. Spacegates have 3 power nodes attached directly to them, but without them they would be just as powerless as a DHDless Stargate. Also, I fail to see why not having a DHD attached to a gate would prevent someone from sending a bomb through a gate. You only need a DHD to dial out, not dial in and in any case the only way to make a gate unusable is to bury or destroy it. Since you can't bury a Stargate in space and since only Earth has been shown to have a weapon which will destroy a Stargate (Mark IVs) I don't see the issue.
                      Curse you Xaeden and your intelegent ways I guess i didnt think the DHD thing through (the dialling in thing), but earth could have de-assembled a DHD and remade it into a power suply which can attach its self like the ones incorperate into SpaceGates.
                      And i guess you just contidicted my theory with out evan knowing it You said SpaceGates have 3 nodes incorperated into the design which leads me to belive the ancients must have designed them for space percificly...
                      OMG! YOUR LIKE AN ORI, TURNING ME TO YOUR SIDE!
                      Last edited by PureMarksman; 21 October 2007, 03:30 AM.
                      Pure.

Comment

About the gates in space in Pegaus Galaxy: I always thought the Wraith put the gates in space to either stop the humans from leaving or to protect themselves from attack.

Comment

i just figured it was because all the addresses they use have been passed down through generations, perhaps given to them by "the ancestors" or a group of brave explorers tested every one
                          Spoiler:
                          Disclaimer:
                          I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                          Quotes!
                          - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                          - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                          - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                          sigpic

Comment

they use a M.A.L.P on a stick

For Wraith, hunger burns like a fire.

Tell me, Sheppard, if you found yourself burning alive, would you settle for just one drop of water ...

....... or would you take more?

sigpic

Comment

I'm sure they have a datalogger (pager sized device that reads temperature/oxygen/pressure) that can be tossed thru and send back a signal. Something like this would be 100 bucks and could be reused.

Comment

Working...
                              X