This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Evil_Genius_McKay View Post
    I was looking at the bottom of the jumper and it has two long recessed areas on either side of it that could be workable for putting in drop-down weapons. You could retract them back up into those spaces when it goes through the gate. If necessary the ammunition could be housed in the cargo area.

Yeah that could work, even if we stored the weapons in the back hold, and when we activate the weapons the drop down through the hull. and seals it self shut to stop decompression in the rear compartment.

i.e Weapons like 302's machine gun or two rails guns, like the one on the Daedalus. Or even a few mark 8 bombs!
    This is Colonel Steven Caldwell
    Commander of the Earth ship Daedalus
    we are ready to assist you!

" open up those bays all batteries "

sigpic

Comment

Cutting the jumper's hull to add drop down weapons will compromise the hull. Those type of things are features that are never added on after teh fact. It's always designed in the original construction. Otehrwise, you weaken the ship. That's why I went on a whole rant about not adding extra earth crap to make the jumpers anything but waht they are to begin with. Especially since we don't ahve the technology to make major repairs on damaged jumpers.

As for adding rail guns, yeah. haha, it would be cool, haha, except for the, haha, ammo. haha.

Cuz you know, ship-side cannons have a long feed and ammo storage units. You don't get those in puddle jumpers unless you cut even more into the hull and just crap out the puddle jumper.

Which is why the asgard have always said that as a race, we're too young to get new tech. because we automatically assume we can slap gunz and missilez on it and turn a shuttle into a battlewagon.

haha. no, it's not really funny. I just have no other reaction.

Comment

Originally posted by MechaThor View Post
        I do like you idea of the Wrath weapons on it as they are both powerful, quick firey and as far as we know infinate ammo.
        Infinite ammo? They're tied into a freaking reactor. If you "strap them on the hull", you still NEED TO TIE THEM INTO A REACTOR. No power, no weapons. This isn't rocket science. This is 1st grade "MOMMY MY TOY IS OUT OF BATTERIES" logic.

Comment

Originally posted by IcyNeko View Post
          Infinite ammo? They're tied into a freaking reactor. If you "strap them on the hull", you still NEED TO TIE THEM INTO A REACTOR. No power, no weapons. This isn't rocket science. This is 1st grade "MOMMY MY TOY IS OUT OF BATTERIES" logic.
          Good point, my bad on that one. I'm the one who proposed the wraith weapons. But I was grasping for something that might acctually be feasible, looks like I was wrong on that too.

Personally I'm with you I don't think it would be workable to add anything like that to a jumper, but several people in here seem to think it is possible so I kept searching for something that might be halfway doable, not "oh let me go get my lego jumper and see what kind of weapons I can put on it!"
          sigpic

Comment

Yes I read you stated about critical spaces. Thats why I suggested the removing one to two drones from each engine pod to free up space. The struts the engine pods are on are already high strength to handle weight of the engine and the stresses it puts on them. Plus it would have the advantage of being able to make use of the power and control lines that already run to the engines. It does not require cutting into the hull it does not require major modification the frame.

And screw rail guns and machinguns you are just trading one ammo dependent weapon for another. After whats shown in Bounty and Unending an anti-fighter grade energy cannon should now be within their capability. And if its not we can go with salvaging Darts weapons idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Xzyl View Post
              Yes I read you stated about critical spaces. Thats why I suggested the removing one to two drones from each engine pod to free up space. The struts the engine pods are on are already high strength to handle weight of the engine and the stresses it puts on them. Plus it would have the advantage of being able to make use of the power and control lines that already run to the engines. It does not require cutting into the hull it does not require major modification the frame.

And screw rail guns and machinguns you are just trading one ammo dependent weapon for another. After whats shown in Bounty and Unending an anti-fighter grade energy cannon should now be within their capability. And if its not we can go with salvaging Darts weapons idea.

The drones are actually on a second smaller pylon just in front of the engine pylon. It isn't as large and may not be able to handle something much large.

You could be right about that anti-fighter grade cannon, but that is yet to be seen.
              sigpic

Comment

If we added a drop down weapon system and re-enforce the hull, Then the hull wouldn't buckell under the extra wait and the rear compartment would de-pressurise. The jumper would still be small enough to fit through the gate and you would have some other form of weapon apart from drones.
                I think an 302's machine gun or a Daedalus type rail gun, would work better in this situation.

sigpic

Comment

You're still cutting away at the hull. It's not a matter of weight (as I'm sure the PJ's hull is more than amplely strong), it's the issue that, by making such cuts, you've already weakened the integrity of the hull. It's more succeptible to breaking apart under fire, AND it's no longer airtight.

If this were a good idea, the Atlantis team would have done so. Thus far, they know better.

Comment

You're still cutting away at the hull. It's not a matter of weight (as I'm sure the PJ's hull is more than amplely strong), it's the issue that, by making such cuts, you've already weakened the integrity of the hull. It's more succeptible to breaking apart under fire, AND it's no longer airtight.

If this were a good idea, the Atlantis team would have done so. Thus far, they know better.
                    NO the hull wouldn't buckell in battel because we would re-enforce the area around the cut. A drop down weapon system is better that just mounting a weapon to the front of a puddle jumper. You have the element of surprise then.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by StevenCaldwell View Post
                      NO the hull wouldn't buckell in battel because we would re-enforce the area around the cut. A drop down weapon system is better that just mounting a weapon to the front of a puddle jumper. You have the element of surprise then.
                      Are you in any way an engineer with a degree from an accredited university? At all? Because in all the engineering classes I've ever taken, they've stated pretty clearly that once you REMOVE something, you can REINFORCE IT all you want, and it will STILL BE WEAKER than it was before. You will ALWAYS lose structural strength.

We won't even talk about making the cut out section airtight, because THAT WILL ALWAYS BE A PROBLEM EVEN MORE SO IN SPACE.

BTW, adding a DROP DOWN SYSTEM effectively closes every space behind the cockpit. Now the pilot can't get in and out of the puddlejumper. Brilliant. Just brilliant.

And before you say a word, yes it does. EVER NOTICE HOW THE F22'S DROP DOWN SYSTEM IS WAY BEHIND THE COCKPIT? MAYBE BECAUSE THE SERVOS ARE A BIG SPACE CONSUMING? What about the Missiles? Or the guidance systems? We're talking about new hardware that has to be installed. Sure, we can tie into the Ancient systems, but that requires new components still needing to be added. And the pilot still can't get into the puddlejumper.

OH I KNOW LET'S CUT A DOOR ON THE FRONT SIDE. And while we're at it, let's add RIMS and a disco ball that protrude from the top of the Puddle Jumper.

Comment

Because in all the engineering classes I've ever taken, they've stated pretty clearly that once you REMOVE something, you can REINFORCE IT all you want, and it will STILL BE WEAKER than it was before. You will ALWAYS lose structural strength.

BTW, adding a DROP DOWN SYSTEM effectively closes every space behind the cockpit. Now the pilot can't get in and out of the puddlejumper. Brilliant. Just brilliant.

OH I KNOW LET'S CUT A DOOR ON THE FRONT SIDE. And while we're at it, let's add RIMS and a disco ball that protrude from the top of the Puddle Jumper.
                        Ok First of all you need to take chill pill. I have some knowledge in engineering. Yeah the hull will loose structural strength, but not enough to do any damage.

And there would be space for the pilot to get into the jumper. If we added a 302's machine gun on drop down system then you would still have space to move around in.

oh and i thought you should know jumpers dont have wheels. ( $%!/ )

sigpic

Comment

I agree, a wraith culling beam would be better, but remember what happend in the ep DUET in season 2, were Mckay and Lt Cadmen, where beamed up? The dart was shot down and there was Insufficient power to deam them both out. If we were to apply this to a jumper, and it was shot down, we could loose a good number of Atlantis's crew.

Azgard beaming tech would be more Beneficial to the jumper, than a culling beam.
                          After McKay lost the Ancient knowledge he couldn't make heads or tails of any of his work anyway.
                          sigpic

Comment

oh and i thought you should know jumpers dont have wheels. ( $%!/ )
                            No, but while we're adding random garbage on the Jumper, why not add wheels too. Just so we can have them drop down for the sole purpose of having spinners. Christ, if I'm going into battle with an human-ruined ancient shuttle, I want to go in style.

Comment

Working...
                            X