Atlantis City Ship stardrive speed: possible spoilers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by from_orion View Post
    Exactly like in Prometheus Unbound it shows that the route to atlantis goes through many hyperspace hours of milky way territory.
    That's just because the Prometheus is space junk with a hyper drive and and the Daedalus class has the hyper drive integrated into the ship rather than tacked on afterward.

Atlantis is even faster.

Have you people been listening?.lol.
    sigpic
    i know this is an overstatement and untrue to the show, but i still think its funny kinda

Comment

Originally posted by verbalkint View Post
      Spoiler:
      Seeing that the Asuran city-ship departed Asuras and Weir & company had time to come up with a plan and implement it before it reached Atlantis makes me wonder just how fast the city-ship hyperspace drives are. It must have taken hours to pull that reprogramming off for Rodney. For some reason I think the reason the ancients didn't just take Atlantis back to earth is that their hyperdrive engines aren't fast enough to distance themselves from the wraith and thus would have led the wraith directly to Earth and the rest of the MW galaxy.
      Just a thought.
      That cant be the case because we know that the Wraith are not capable of anything aproaching inter-galactic speeds, so Atlantis should have easily outrun the wraith . . . which leads me to ask,
      Why didnt the Ancients return to earth with Atlantis instead of just leaving it there on the bottom of the ocean?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Athosian Death facilitator View Post
        Rodney said something like "We are stranded in the middle of another galaxy with limited resources Radek, the nearest Bob's Big Boy is 3million/thousand/hundred(i am unsure as to which.)
        Pegasus is ~3 million light years away

So if it takes 3 weeks to get to Earth via the Daedalus/Apollo/Odyssey can you guys extrapolate how fast the Asgard hyperdrives are?
        Daedalus from Earth to Pegasus = ~18 days
        18 days = 1,555,200 seconds
        3,000,000 LY in 1,555,200 seconds = ~1.93 LY/s

Asgard ship (Jackson Class?) from Earth to Pegasus = ~4 days
        4 days = 345,600 seconds
        3,000,000 LY in 345,600 seconds = ~8.68 LY/s

O'Neill class with Prometheus in tow:
        Prometheus' distance from Earth = ~1,200 LY
        Travel time = 8 seconds
        1,200 LY in 8 seconds = 150 LY/s

Earth to Hala distance = ~4,000,000 LY
        Speed = 150 LY/s
        Travel Time = ~7.4 hours

and from there we can most definitely say 'Atlantis is faster.'
        No we can't. In fact, if you go off the increments talked about in the series, Atlantis is much slower than Asgard and Taur'i ships.

Pegasus is a dwarf galaxy that is about 3,000 light years in diameter (in real life). That means it should only take Daedalus about 26 minutes to cross Pegasus.

The Asgard ship that shaved 2 weeks off their travel time to Pegasus should cross it in about 6 minutes.
        An O'Neill class ship towing Prometheus would cross Pegasus in 20 seconds...
        Yet Atlantis, which was going to take hours to travel less than 3,000 light years, is faster than those ships?

Something is messed up. I'm guessing the writers decided that Pegasus isn't the same size as it's real life counterpart.

Originally posted by sg8man
        That cant be the case because we know that the Wraith are not capable of anything aproaching inter-galactic speeds, so Atlantis should have easily outrun the wraith . . .
        There is no such thing as "intergalactic speeds". The Wraith possess the technology to go to Earth right now, it'll just take them hundreds of years to get there.

Originally posted by sg8man
        Why didnt the Ancients return to earth with Atlantis instead of just leaving it there on the bottom of the ocean?
        Plot Device. Brad Wright and Robert C. Cooper were originally going to have SG-1 discover Atlantis buried under Antarctica instead of the outpost. SG-1 was being renewed and they wanted the new series to be independent of SG-1, so they put Atlantis in another galaxy.
        Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Originally posted by Bragi View Post
          Pegasus orbits Andromeda.
          ..............makes me wonder wuts in andromeda, stands to reason if MW and IDA are inhabited, and PG is then AND would be too

Comment

At this point the only reasonable thing to assume is that Ida and Pegasus are completly made up and have no relation to real world galaxies. If we don't nothing fits and we may aswell stop discussing speeds like this.

Comment

"O'Neill class with Prometheus in tow:
              Prometheus' distance from Earth = ~1,200 LY
              Travel time = 8 seconds
              1,200 LY in 8 seconds = 150 LY/s"

Wow. I knew the Asgard had fast ships, but damn. So they do have the fastest ships. So it may make sense for Jack O'Neill to ask for Thor and he appears shortly afterwards...

And this is with the Promethus in tow.

Yeah, I also have a hard time believing that Atlantis would be that fast. It's dimensions, power requirment (constantly the shield must be on), would be a large deterrant to raw speed IMO. Now if was an Aurora class warship, ok.

Comment

Actually Asgard hyperdrive speeds are inconsistant. They aren't that fast anymore this is obvious seeing as an Asgard vessel took 4 days to get to Pegasus.

It was clearly mentioned that Atlantis should have beat the Apollo to the new planet therefore Atlantis with one ZPM is faster than a 304, there's no denying that. It doesn't mean it's faster than a fully powered Asgard hyperdrive e.g. 4 days Earth to Pegasus but I wouldn't put it past it with 3 ZPMs powering it.
                Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Yeah, 4 days, but what class of ship was it.

Assuming it is their fastest ship, then the writers have downgraded to cover up a plot hole? Because Asgard ships insanely fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Buba uognarf View Post
                    They aren't that fast anymore this is obvious seeing as an Asgard vessel took 4 days to get to Pegasus.
                    It obviously wasn't an O'Neill class ship.

It was clearly mentioned that Atlantis should have beat the Apollo to the new planet therefore Atlantis with one ZPM is faster than a 304, there's no denying that.
                    Ah, your logic is flawed. It was clearly mentioned that Atlantis should have been Apollo to their destination, this much is true. However, it isn't said why this is the case. You're assuming it's because Atlantis is faster than Apollo, and that might be the case, but there are reasons why Apollo might be faster than Atlantis and still not arrive first.
                    When Colonel Ellis checked in with Midway, he said "As far as we can tell, Atlantis successfully evaded the Replicators beam and was able to enter hyperspace".
                    When asked "As far as you can tell?" Ellis replied "They're not at the predetermined rendezvous point."

This would imply that the Apollo stayed behind to confirm that the Asuran satellite weapon wasn't going to follow them, and they watched Atlantis enter hyperspace. When they showed up at their new planet and Atlantis wasn't there, they flew to the nearest planet with a gate to report to Midway.

It doesn't mean it's faster than a fully powered Asgard hyperdrive e.g. 4 days Earth to Pegasus but I wouldn't put it past it with 3 ZPMs powering it.
                    All the evidence we have of Atlantis' FTL speed says it's slow. Not just slow, like Daedalus without a ZPM slow, I'm talking slow as in taking hundreds of years to travel from Earth to Pegasus. The Aurora was slower, if it was going to take them months to travel back to Atlantis in a galaxy only 3 thousand light years in diameter; though to their credit, they mentioned that the Aurora was never built for speed.

I'm not saying this evidence is correct, I'm just saying that the evidence says Atlantis is slow. Maybe some day we'll get some real numbers from the show to actually see how fast it is, because right now all we have is relative approximations, and that is no way to try and figure this out.

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

That's just because the Prometheus is space junk with a hyper drive and and the Daedalus class has the hyper drive integrated into the ship rather than tacked on afterward.

Atlantis is even faster.

Have you people been listening?.lol.
                      Have you been listening? Prometheus in Ripple Effect was going to take about "3 weeks" to get to Atlantis. That's essentially the same speed as Deadelus' 18 days.

Comment

Originally posted by sg8man View Post
                        That cant be the case because we know that the Wraith are not capable of anything aproaching inter-galactic speeds, so Atlantis should have easily outrun the wraith . . . which leads me to ask,
                        We don't know, the wraith ships may in fact be faster than atlantis, only difference being atlantis can continue in hyperspace as long as they have power, yet the wraith ships have to take 12 hour breaks I think between jumps.

Comment

Originally posted by from_orion View Post
                          We don't know, the wraith ships may in fact be faster than atlantis, only difference being atlantis can continue in hyperspace as long as they have power, yet the wraith ships have to take 12 hour breaks I think between jumps.
                          The time between jumps is relative to the amount of radiation the hull is receiving. The faster the ship travels, the more radiation the hull absorbs, so the longer it'll take to regenerate.

Right now we don't know how long they need to regenerate during normal hyperspace travel, but it seems to be about a 1:1 ratio. For every minute in hyperspace, they need one minute of regeneration time. So even if a hive ship were able to travel the same speed as the Daedalus, it'd still take them twice as long to reach the same destination (but hives are much slower than Daedalus).

Comment

Originally posted by verbalkint View Post
                            Spoiler:
                            Seeing that the Asuran city-ship departed Asuras and Weir & company had time to come up with a plan and implement it before it reached Atlantis makes me wonder just how fast the city-ship hyperspace drives are. It must have taken hours to pull that reprogramming off for Rodney. For some reason I think the reason the ancients didn't just take Atlantis back to earth is that their hyperdrive engines aren't fast enough to distance themselves from the wraith and thus would have led the wraith directly to Earth and the rest of the MW galaxy.
                            Just a thought.
                            As the Asuran city-ship demonstrated on the first go around it took a little bit for the city to enter hyperspace, its entirely probable that the same applies to Atlantis. Although its been estanblished that the Atlantis hyperdrive can sustain the ship in hyperspace for much longer periods of time (the ep w/the Auroa sp?) than the Wraith, the Wraith would most likely had multiple hive ships ready to fire. Imagine some one on a motorcycle running through a swarm of bees, yes the bike will be able to out distance the bees but its highly probably the person will still end up with at least a sting or two.
                            "The Clarke Postulate - One's ability to correctly explain advanced theoretical thermodynamics as applied to string theory within a fictional context is directly related to one's ability to cook the perfect lemon chicken with mushrooms in a nice garlic butter sauce. While some use this unexpected correlation as proof of intelligent design, I believe that its all about the person's choice of mushrooms.

I also believe that there is a tear developing in the space-time continuum which if left uncheck will allow Microsoft to become a world power. I suspect that unless we all download Firefox 3 on the same day, thus sealing the tear, that life as we know it may be over and children will have their teddy bears and blankets ripped mercilessly from their arms.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin View Post
                              There is no such thing as "intergalactic speeds". The Wraith possess the technology to go to Earth right now, it'll just take them hundreds of years to get there.
                              Ahhh . . . That's exactly what I meant.
                              "it'll take them hundreds of years" = they are not capable of "intergalactic speeds."
                              sigpic

Comment

Sure the wraith can get to to earth, albeit slowly, only problem being they have no idea what direction to fly, since the only ones who found out were destroyed and they were not sharing information at that time.

Comment

Working...
                                X