This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darth Eddy
    Wouldn't linking the supergate to a Stargate being powered by a black hole have some very severe consequences. Remember when the SGC was connected to a black hole, the Earth stargate started acting as a second one. So with the connection established we would be creating a gigantic black hole in the Milky Way. We might get lucky and suck up one or two of the Ori Ship but we don't know all the things that would be destroyed. Also, once the connection is established it would be very hard to break.
    The answer to this is, it wouldn't really have much of an effect at all, unless you happened to fly your ship right over the supergate. See, a black hole is a collapsed star. The reason gravity is so strong around a black hole, is because all the mass of the star is compressed down to a tiny, tiny point. However, it's not that suddenly there's more gravity created. It's just concentrated down to a much smaller size, so it's effects become more pronounced. However, the effects only extend to a certain point, which depends on the original size of the star. This is called the Schwarzchild radius, or the event horizon.

As long as you're outside the event horizon, you're fine. But once you cross it, you're screwed. The gate on Earth that was connected to a black hole did effect Earth, but that's because Earth was within the extended event horizon of the black hole. (I guess, I mean, I have no idea how a wormhole within an event horizon would affect it's gravitational pull) But I'm guessing the wormhole kind of extends the event horizon through the wormhole, and out the other side, but this would still be limited in distance.

So, since the gate was on Earth, Earth felt the effects of the black hole. But since the supergate isn't on a planet, and there really isn't anything near it, you don't have to worry about stuff getting sucked in unless it wanders too close.

(At least that's how my physics teacher explained black holes)

Comment

just dont get too close that your engines cant produce enough thrust to reach the appropriate escape velocity

Comment

LOL. Yeah, maybe we'll see an Ori ship fly over the supergate to investigate its activation and the unexpected gravity sucks it into the event horizon (dematerializing it) before they have a chance to react.

Comment

Working...
        X