This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sci_fi_child
    Makes sense why they didn't build it on land then.

But that is rather tall...

*looks up*

remeber... its a ship aslo.... flying city.... the Atlantians did EVERYTHING big
    To the Prometheus...

The first...

She will be missed

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
      From VFX Supervisor:

1.5km high at the highest point
      3.0km diameter.
      Blah, that's not a city. That's a township. That's a hamlet. Maybe a village, even.
      sigpic
      http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

Oh great so the ships from the movie Independence Day is bigger??? Come on! This is the City-Ship of the Ancients!

I'd rather take the 21km diameter, but that would make the towers as big as those you see in Corusant (capital city-planet in StarWars). And those tower are HUGE.
        http://www.myspace.com/peoples_general
        http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/ga...PeoplesGeneral

Comment

So is the city 21 km in diameter or is it 3 lol 3 km is way to small. the deadelus is 450 meters long or such and is able to land on a small spot on the east peer. so 3 km is way to small. 21 sounds more right. or is my math just ****ed up

Comment

Originally posted by Cory Holmes
            Blah, that's not a city. That's a township. That's a hamlet. Maybe a village, even.
            Isn't a hamlet smaller than a village?

Comment

Ok can someone pleasse make it out simpel. how big is atlantis? 3km from one end to another? i don't buy that. not when we think about how much room there is in the control tower. and that the deadelus can land without filling any space at all. what source says 3km? i believe more in 21 KM's. what source is most trustworthy?

Comment

Originally posted by Nikmi
                So is the city 21 km in diameter or is it 3 lol 3 km is way to small. the deadelus is 450 meters long or such and is able to land on a small spot on the east peer. so 3 km is way to small. 21 sounds more right. or is my math just ****ed up
                If it were 3km across, then each pier would be about a kilometre long on its own. Therefore the Daedalus would take up over half a pier when it landed at the City.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
                  From VFX Supervisor:

1.5km high at the highest point
                  3.0km diameter.
                  Where was this written or told?

The lone central spire is maybe like 600-700 meters high. In Grace Under Pressure, or maybe Critical Mass, we could see that there's a very lenght antenna extending underneath the city, as well as a large portion of sunken structure. Think of an iceberg.
                  Maybe that doubles the city's height.

The width appears correct though.
                  The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

If it were 3km across, then each pier would be about a kilometre long on its own. Therefore the Daedalus would take up over half a pier when it landed at the City.
                    Dosn't that prove my point that atlantis is alot bigger than 3km across. first off it just seems to small when its "the city of the ancient" and two. when you see Shots where Daedelus lands it dosn't take NEAR! that much space.

i assume that thoes 19 KM is the Right info. and its the only confirmed info about atlantis size there is?

im so confused lol someone please explain it to me in big letters

Comment

Originally posted by Nikmi
                      i assume that thoes 19 KM is the Right info. and its the only confirmed info about atlantis size there is?
                      Well, there's that line in Before I Sleep where McKay likened searching Atlantis to be like, "searching every room in every building in Mahattan." I then asked Joseph Mollozzi in his "Ask Joe" thread here on Gateworld and he just said that it was as big as Manhattan.

There is some ongoing debate as to whether that means size (as in, 21km across) or in volume (has the same amount of internal space as all of Manhattan). I prefer to believe the former, since it makes the city a bit more grandiose.
                      sigpic

Comment

If the city really is the size of Manhattan (which had been confirmed by Mr. Mallozi (sp) here on GateWorld), then that means the city is about 12 miles from end to end.

Personally, I want to see the city as being that large.
                        Manhattan is 13 miles from end to end. so that would make Atlantis about 41 miles (66 km) in circumfrence and it will cover an area of about 133 square miles (214 sq km)

it is the same size as Grenada, a Carribean country close to South America.

Comment

Originally posted by TheAncient1
                          Manhattan is 13 miles from end to end. so that would make Atlantis about 41 miles (66 km) in circumfrence and it will cover an area of about 133 square miles (214 sq km)

it is the same size as Grenada, a Carribean country close to South America.
                          Now that would qualify as the "Lost City of the Ancients", a race of people that "did things big".
                          sigpic

Comment

I remember seeing old concept pics for Atlantis, it was waaaayyy Bigger than it is now. That was what probably qualified as being Manhattan sized... heck, the older version seemed to have been the size of the whole New York City (5 boroughs including Manhattan).
                            http://www.myspace.com/peoples_general
                            http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/ga...PeoplesGeneral

Comment

Originally posted by Peoples_General
                              I remember seeing old concept pics for Atlantis, it was waaaayyy Bigger than it is now. That was what probably qualified as being Manhattan sized... heck, the older version seemed to have been the size of the whole New York City (5 boroughs including Manhattan).
                              Haha, you've walked on the path of desillusion. I hate looking at these artworks. They remind me of how insanely impressive, original and beautiful Atlantis could have been. The structures were much bigger, much more imposing, more artistic and even weird. A shame that they went for a "city" that is smaller my own village!
                              They got it wrong from the get go.
                              The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Working...
                              X