This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by immhotep
    they can take 1000's of atmosphere of pressure, which is pretty much alot more than an enemy weapon would ram in to it. id say they would do very well.
    And the ocean surronds the jumper, its is not localised like enemy fire

Comment

we already know that enemy fire is more stressful to the shields. Atlantis's shield was able to stand up the bombardment of the wraith fleet only a few days but sat under the ocean for 10,000 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Avatar28
        we already know that enemy fire is more stressful to the shields. Atlantis's shield was able to stand up the bombardment of the wraith fleet only a few days but sat under the ocean for 10,000 years.
        The planet that atlantis is on has oceans that have a range of depths, i think the PJ was deeper than the city. And the city was powered by 3 full ZPMs when it was under water, but only powered by 1 (possibly partially depleted (b4 daedalus use))ZPM under fire from 10 hive ships and their crusers, I seriously doubt the PJ will ever be under that fire, just dart fire probably.

Comment

Ok....

Atlantis under a few hundred feet of ocean for 10000 years: 3 ZPMs

Atlantis under bombardment for a few days from 12 + Wraith capital ships: 1 partially depleted ZPM (wasn't all depleted, unkown how much energy was lost/used already)

Jumper at several dozen atmos of pressure
          Spoiler:
          for half and hour with cloak turned into sheild: total power source of jumper expended

I rekon that the generators in the Jumper are something similar to a naquadah generator. If you could put 4 Naquadah generators into a Jumper, I rekon you might get a decent shield time. It would have to be conserved when not under pressure or under enemy fire, as all systems would run off of the generators. It would be quite possible to make some decent Jumper-fighters now that
          Spoiler:
          they have the know-how to turn cloaks into shields, and have a few extra Jumpers and drones at their disposal... could put 2 cloak generators in one Jumper so that one is for shield, and one is for cloak

Let me know wot u think ppls

The Ultimate Tech thread, for more discussions on FTL, ZPE, and pie

Relativity Q & A - Got questions? Want answers? Me too, but i got some answers too

Click this link to visit the place for my ideas and experiments to hide

Comment

Originally posted by CHEL NAK GUY
            Asgard Vapourisation ray anyone?

but then again the asgard probably wouldn't let us have access to their advanced technology
            Let's just mount a howitzer on the thing.

But that's old technology.

OR better yet, some of those big cannon that the gliders have.

24/7 Wake - KrackHouse server: 69.28.221.211:16567
            24/7 Groundpounders - Krackhouse: 69.28.221.210:16567
            Both heavily admined.

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTimePerson
              The planet that atlantis is on has oceans that have a range of depths, i think the PJ was deeper than the city. And the city was powered by 3 full ZPMs when it was under water, but only powered by 1 (possibly partially depleted (b4 daedalus use))ZPM under fire from 10 hive ships and their crusers, I seriously doubt the PJ will ever be under that fire, just dart fire probably.
              Originally posted by smartquin
              Ok....

Atlantis under a few hundred feet of ocean for 10000 years: 3 ZPMs

Atlantis under bombardment for a few days from 12 + Wraith capital ships: 1 partially depleted ZPM (wasn't all depleted, unkown how much energy was lost/used already)

Jumper at several dozen atmos of pressure SPOILERS (Highlight below to read):
              for half and hour with cloak turned into sheild: total power source of jumper expended
              Um, no. I believe the whole point of rotating the ZPMs to make them last longer was that they were not being run simultaneously but rather that one at a time was powering the city. Nor do we know how drained any of them were to begin with either. Also even though the depth may have been less, the surface area was many MANY times greater which would more than make up for things. Not to mention that if we figure that Atlantis's central spire is around 1000 ft tall then the base of the city had to be over 1000 ft underwater (which puts you at at least 30 atmospheres of pressure right there).

Comment

Um, no. I believe the whole point of rotating the ZPMs to make them last longer was that they were not being run simultaneously but rather that one at a time was powering the city. Nor do we know how drained any of them were to begin with either. Also even though the depth may have been less, the surface area was many MANY times greater which would more than make up for things. Not to mention that if we figure that Atlantis's central spire is around 1000 ft tall then the base of the city had to be over 1000 ft underwater (which puts you at at least 30 atmospheres of pressure right there).
                I was just going by what Col. Sumner said in Rising, something to the effect of being a few hundred feet under water, adn the whole point of the first part of my post was just to show how 3 ZPM's last longer than 1 partially depleted one.

Relativity Q & A - Got questions? Want answers? Me too, but i got some answers too

Comment

On the modified Puddle Jumper... i'd go in a different direction:

The Puddle Jumper Cannon
                  I'd have a large gun-like platform mounted on the Daedalus, that literally launched Puddle Jumpers at speeds close to those of the existing Rail-gun projectiles. This would probably be a gigantic Rail-gun in itself, and would only require a massive power source (ie. the ZPM) and about a hundred Puddle-Jumpers, all linked together ala a belt-fed machine gun. Each Puddle-Jumper would contain a Naquadria-enhanced Nuclear Warhead, essentially Mark IX 'Gatebusters' with Naquadria instead of Naquadah (which would obviously make them much more powerful).

Moreover, each Puddle-Jumper would be rigged with a small Naquadah Reactor to power its shields so as to survive any hostile projectile (ie. Wraith Darts) from stopping it from reaching its target. It can also be used as a breaching device, as the Bomb could be removed and replaced with a squad of Marines, which could exit the Puddle-Jumper after it has been fired through the enemy ship's shield, outer hull, and most of its super-structure... abeit, the speeds the PJ would have been going upon being fired out of the PJ Cannon would surely liquify anyone on board, but i'm sure Mckay could find a way around this .

With a maximum rate of fire of about 60 RPM, this weapon should be able to lay waste to Wraith and Ori fleets alike. Hell, it should be more than powerful enough to lay waste to entire planets! This would be my definite modification-of-choice should we ever find a large stockpile of Puddle-Jumpers lying around, and while it may not be all that practical or cost effective, it would just look plain cool.
                  Last edited by Mefusta; 21 December 2005, 03:45 AM.
                  Jayne - Ain't logical. Cuttin' on his own face, rapin' and murdering - Hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight... or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight, or if he bothers me, or if there's a woman, or if I'm gettin' paid - mostly only when I'm gettin' paid. But these Reavers... last ten years they show up like the bogeyman from stories. Eating people alive? Where's that get fun?
                  Kaylee - Shepherd Book said they was men who just reached the edge of space, saw a vasty nothingness, and went bibbledy over it.
                  Jayne - Oh, hell, i've been to the edge. Just looked like... more space.
                  - Serenity

Comment

the only thing i would want to see is shields on the jumpers cos when aren't cloaked they can be easily destroyed

Comment

Originally posted by Mefusta
                      On the modified Puddle Jumper... i'd go in a different direction:

The Puddle Jumper Cannon
                      I'd have a large gun-like platform mounted on the Daedalus, that literally launched Puddle Jumpers at speeds close to those of the existing Rail-gun projectiles. This would probably be a gigantic Rail-gun in itself, and would only require a massive power source (ie. the ZPM) and about a hundred Puddle-Jumpers, all linked together ala a belt-fed machine gun. Each Puddle-Jumper would contain a Naquadria-enhanced Nuclear Warhead, essentially Mark IX 'Gatebusters' with Naquadria instead of Naquadah (which would obviously make them much more powerful).

Moreover, each Puddle-Jumper would be rigged with a small Naquadah Reactor to power its shields so as to survive any hostile projectile (ie. Wraith Darts) from stopping it from reaching its target. It can also be used as a breaching device, as the Bomb could be removed and replaced with a squad of Marines, which could exit the Puddle-Jumper after it has been fired through the enemy ship's shield, outer hull, and most of its super-structure... abeit, the speeds the PJ would have been going upon being fired out of the PJ Cannon would surely liquify anyone on board, but i'm sure Mckay could find a way around this .

With a maximum rate of fire of about 60 RPM, this weapon should be able to lay waste to Wraith and Ori fleets alike. Hell, it should be more than powerful enough to lay waste to entire planets! This would be my definite modification-of-choice should we ever find a large stockpile of Puddle-Jumpers lying around, and while it may not be all that practical or cost effective, it would just look plain cool.
                      Wouldn't it make a LOT more sense to just use an unmanned missile if you're going to do that? I mean, just use a bunker buster type naquada enhanced nuke.

Comment

Originally posted by smartquin
                        Jumper at several dozen atmos of pressure
                        Spoiler:

I rekon that the generators in the Jumper are something similar to a naquadah generator. If you could put 4 Naquadah generators into a Jumper, I rekon you might get a decent shield time.
                        the thing is, are we sure what the PJ power source is?
                        There is moutning evidence for a capacitor/battery typer power supply
                        Spoiler:
                        especcially after the tower with dead PJs possibly happening due to the near depleted ZPM

Comment

one with asgard shields and weapons with hyperdrive

Comment

the thing is, are we sure what the PJ power source is?
                            There is moutning evidence for a capacitor/battery type power supply
                            Spoiler:
                            especcially after the tower with dead PJs possibly happening due to the near depleted ZPM
                            Yeah, thats right, that why I said something like a Naquadah Generator for a power unit in a jumper. A Naquadah generator is like a nuclear reactor, Naquadah fuel goes in, energy comes out. Once the fuel is spent, it stops making power. Same with whatever is in a jumper, it eventually runs out. If one Jumper Power Supply Unit (JPSU) can
                            Spoiler:
                            keep a small shield up for 30 mins
                            , and when combined with 3 Naquadah generators can dial an intergalactic wormhole, I'm pretty sure that 4 generators hooked up with the JPSU will give some decent shield time .... don't forget it also has to power the glider-staff weapons

Comment

could the PJ powersystems handle the energy of 4 naquadah generators when 5 generators powered the city of atlantis?

Comment

Originally posted by CHEL NAK GUY
                                What about a coffee machine?
                                It's no stargate with out coffee!
                                I'm not a coffee drinker.
                                a toilet as well!
                                hey, I forgot that, that would be useful
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X