Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jason Momoa scores the new Conan the Barbarian film!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just saw how Conan ranked this weekend and some critics's reviews... Not good. I'm really sadden that they really thought it was that bad.

Comment

I wonder how the movie tanking will affect Jason's career.

Based on the lessons learned from Entourage (how accurate these are is another story), if you are an up and comer you want the movie to:
      1) Be a box office success
      2) Well received by critics

The ideal outcome is achieving 1) and 2). Next line line being 1) and lastly 2). If you fail on both 1) and 2) you may be in trouble.

Apparently this is why your agent tries to book your next job before the release of the actor's new movie.

I hope this will not be too much of a setback for Jason.
      sigpic

Comment

It came in 4th 10 Mil is not "bad bad" I think they kept making Saw movies after they did good to get that much in their whole run in theaters and he does have his next project already. I don't think this will really hurt his career every actor has bad movies to their credit.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by magictrick View Post

Based on the lessons learned from Entourage (how accurate these are is another story), if you are an up and comer you want the movie to:
          1) Be a box office success
          2) Well received by critics

The ideal outcome is achieving 1) and 2). Next line line being 1) and lastly 2). If you fail on both 1) and 2) you may be in trouble.

Apparently this is why your agent tries to book your next job before the release of the actor's new movie.

I hope this will not be too much of a setback for Jason.
          His next film (with Stallone) has already wrapped, so fingers crossed that his career will continue with its upward trajectory.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by scifan View Post
            Just saw how Conan ranked this weekend and some critics's reviews... Not good. I'm really sadden that they really thought it was that bad.
            The worse Momoa can do, is be another Ron Pearlman. And dear God, Pearlman has starred in a great many Razzies; chief among them has to be; In The Name of The King, followed closely by Season of the Witch. Both were terrible films, but Pearlman still makes money doing crappy movies, and keeps coming back for more, so some one who has the authority should bless his efforts, and the rest of you shouldn't feel too bad for Jason. The worse that can happen is he's another Ron Pearlman, and the best that can happen is he's another Nic Cage. 'In before you think it': there is no way in heck, he's going to be another Arnold.

Comment

Originally posted by Coremae View Post
              The worse Momoa can do, is be another Ron Pearlman. And dear God, Pearlman has starred in a great many Razzies; chief among them has to be; In The Name of The King, followed closely by Season of the Witch. Both were terrible films, but Pearlman still makes money doing crappy movies, and keeps coming back for more, so some one who has the authority should bless his efforts, and the rest of you shouldn't feel too bad for Jason. The worse that can happen is he's another Ron Pearlman, and the best that can happen is he's another Nic Cage. 'In before you think it': there is no way in heck, he's going to be another Arnold.
              Err, Ron Perlman might do a lot of crap, but he is very open about the fact that he does a lot of these roles simply from the money. Further his career is anything but down the toilet, in fact, while I hope Jason Momoa does well in his future career, he has a long way to go to reach Pearlman's level, who let us not forget is the lead actor in a critically acclaimed and award winning tv show, the star of a cult series of movies, and is the well known narrator of a critically acclaimed and bestselling videogame series.

I'd imagine Jason would be very happy to get to the level of Ron Perlman, and that's not a knock on either of them. Perlman has done well for himself, both commercially, but also critically with his lead roles in stuff like Sons of Anarchy and the Hellboy movies.

Comment

Gateworld is reporting that it's flopped thus far. I can't say I'm surprised, maybe it's just where I live but the promotion has been very poor in my view. It's such a recognisable name I'd have thought it would have been advertised a lot more.

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
                It's all exposure. I don't see it hurting his career at all, it just probably won't help it as much as it might have.

Comment

It didn't the Rise of the Planet of the Apes and Fright Night (which did worse than Conan) were pushed harder than Conan was. The P&A for Conan was a joke.

I don't think it will really hurt him. He has another movie made and that one given the name power in it will do better in the box office.

sigpic

Comment

I haven't read this whole thread, so pardon me if I step on any toes.

My husband and I went to see the Conan movie yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm not sure I understand what all the complaining is about. It's a movie about a Barbarian. There is fighting and blood and gore and dirty people with really bad teeth. I'm not sure what some people expected. For a movie of its genre, it was very well done and most of all, fun. Speaking as a long time Conan fan, my husband said he liked it better than the original.

Jason does a fine job portraying both the fighting skills and emotions of Conan. He has learned to express a lot of emotion with his face and does just that here with aplomb.

The supporting actors were also excellent. And yes, if you consider scene-chewing melodrama to be worthy of contempt, you probably won't like this movie. If you are squeamish in any way regarding blood, gore and extreme violence, then you should give it a pass. My thinking is that they would have been more successful if it had been rated PG-13 instead of R, which would have brought in a wider audience.

On the whole though, it was an enjoyable summer movie.
                    sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                      I haven't read this whole thread, so pardon me if I step on any toes.

My husband and I went to see the Conan movie yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm not sure I understand what all the complaining is about. It's a movie about a Barbarian. There is fighting and blood and gore and dirty people with really bad teeth. I'm not sure what some people expected. For a movie of its genre, it was very well done and most of all, fun. Speaking as a long time Conan fan, my husband said he liked it better than the original.

Jason does a fine job portraying both the fighting skills and emotions of Conan. He has learned to express a lot of emotion with his face and does just that here with aplomb.

The supporting actors were also excellent. And yes, if you consider scene-chewing melodrama to be worthy of contempt, you probably won't like this movie. If you are squeamish in any way regarding blood, gore and extreme violence, then you should give it a pass. My thinking is that they would have been more successful if it had been rated PG-13 instead of R, which would have brought in a wider audience.

On the whole though, it was an enjoyable summer movie.
                      That's exactly what they should've done!!!
                      Tumblr: fashion4ducks.tumblr.com
                      Where my mind comes out to play *DUN DUN DUN!!!!!!!!!!!!*

Comment

Originally posted by AlbinoMonkeyC View Post
                        That's exactly what they should've done!!!
                        That kind of removes the entire point of the film then. It's Conan the Barbarian, it's meant to be brutal, gory, barbaric. "I live, I love, I slay and I am content" is the famous quote from the original Robert E Howard stories. Had they made it pg 13, then yes they could have gained younger viewers, but on the other hand, they probably would have lost viewers as well, as it's violence and barbarism is its main selling point. A lot of people who go and see it want to see a properly brutal film about a barbarian, not watered down pg 13 crap.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
                          Err, Ron Perlman might do a lot of crap, but he is very open about the fact that he does a lot of these roles simply from the money. Further his career is anything but down the toilet, in fact, while I hope Jason Momoa does well in his future career, he has a long way to go to reach Pearlman's level, who let us not forget is the lead actor in a critically acclaimed and award winning tv show, the star of a cult series of movies, and is the well known narrator of a critically acclaimed and bestselling videogame series.

I'd imagine Jason would be very happy to get to the level of Ron Perlman, and that's not a knock on either of them. Perlman has done well for himself, both commercially, but also critically with his lead roles in stuff like Sons of Anarchy and the Hellboy movies.
                          YOU misunderstand me friend, I am not knocking what Perlman does because If I were given the chance, I'd do films 1/10 the substance of the bad ones he did, and for 1/5 the payment he received. Ice T was asked why he had done so many bad films in a year, and his response was refreshing; "You have to be a serious a-hole to turn down a million dollars a year." He had done so many, b movies, that he had made almost a million dollars, in one year. And I agree. Give me a chance, and I'd be tall burly black guy with a grey beard #16. And I'd play that role with so much gusto and vim, one would think I was James Earl Jones' Thulsa Doom.

Comment

Good for him I always try to support Stargate actors in other movies so I will differently see this movie along with the Rise of the Planet of the Apes because of David Hewlett is in it haha

Comment

Originally posted by auroraclass1 View Post
                              Good for him I always try to support Stargate actors in other movies so I will differently see this movie along with the Rise of the Planet of the Apes because of David Hewlett is in it haha
                              Planet of the Apes though, was nice. really nice. Almost sweet, Planet of the Apes was.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
                                That kind of removes the entire point of the film then. It's Conan the Barbarian, it's meant to be brutal, gory, barbaric. "I live, I love, I slay and I am content" is the famous quote from the original Robert E Howard stories. Had they made it pg 13, then yes they could have gained younger viewers, but on the other hand, they probably would have lost viewers as well, as it's violence and barbarism is its main selling point. A lot of people who go and see it want to see a properly brutal film about a barbarian, not watered down pg 13 crap.
                                I have to agree. Not everything can be PG-13. It's a move meant to be for older people... not young teens. Plus I see lots of parents let their kids that are way under 13 watch PG-13 movies.. this is definately not one of those movies. Conan is not like Captain America, Thor and so on. To water down Conan would be even more lame... IMO.

Comment

Working...
                                X