Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stargate Atlantis Season 5 DVD Sales! Over 100K!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jenks View Post
    AoT shifted well over double that in its first week.
    True, but that's a movie, previously not seen, the conclusion of the Ori saga and with half the price of this DVD box set.

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
      A DVD that can push 100K units in the first week is usually a success and a hit. They were #2 on the list out of TV DVDs, so hopefully that will open a few eyes and raise a few brows over at MGM.

As per the SGA movie, They have no clue, not even the SG-1 movie has an official production date. They want to finish with their new baby SGU, once they change the diapers and feed it, then it will be time for the DVD movies.
      Couldn't agree more. And, they cancelled this show when it was at the peak of success? Doh! Let's hope for news on the movie soon, though JM doesn't sound too optimistic atm.

I wonder what the worldwide sales are like? I'm in the UK and have already bought the dvd's separately and will be getting the boxed set too. What really bugs me is if the money made from Atlantis feeds SGU, which I will not be watching along with quite a few other fans that I've talked to. Crappy decisions made all round by TPTB.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
        AoT shifted well over double that in its first week.
        Um yeah, that is because AOT was retailing for about 14.99 to 19.99 USD and the Season 5 SGA box set retails for 34.99 to 39.99 USD. So yeah.

The sales are up by 25% in a declining DVD market. If that is not success, I don't know what is.

Don't be a buzz kill, no one likes a buzz kill.
        Last edited by Briangate78; 15 July 2009, 06:16 AM.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Madwelshboy View Post
          Well they have written the script that's all they can do, the ball is in MGMs court not the writers.
          Are you sure they finished the script? If they finished wouldn't we have more than just a working title?
          "If I find out your playing us I'm not going to wait for authorization. There isn't going to be any paperwork. I'm just going to kill you."

Comment

Sorry, I'm still a little new. What exactly does TPTB stand for?
            "If I find out your playing us I'm not going to wait for authorization. There isn't going to be any paperwork. I'm just going to kill you."

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Destroyer View Post
              Sorry, I'm still a little new. What exactly does TPTB stand for?
              The Powers That Be. It usually means to describe the writers, producers, etc.
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Destroyer View Post
                Are you sure they finished the script? If they finished wouldn't we have more than just a working title?
                They are waiting for the green-light from MGM to go ahead with production. This is for both movies, btw not just the SGA movie. Also, SyFy is ready to go, they are just waiting for MGM.
                sigpic

Comment

Um yeah, that is because AOT was retailing for about 14.99 to 19.99 USD and the Season 5 SGA box set retails for 34.99 to 39.99 USD. So yeah.

The sales are up by 25% in a declining DVD market. If that is not success, I don't know what is.

Not to mention Season 5 officially already aired on Sci-Fi before the DVD release and was old news by the time the DVD's came out. Where as with AOT, people may have been buying or buying it sooner so they can SEE it.

AOK's primary goal was to make money on the DVD market. Season 5 revenue was geared toward advertising during the season
                  BSG (Drama/Soap Opera)

Soap Opera: The main characteristics that define soap operas are "an emphasis on family life, personal relationships, sexual dramas, emotional and moral conflicts; some coverage of topical issues; set in familiar domestic interiors with only occasional excursions into new locations

Drama: A drama film is a film genre that depends mostly on in-depth development of realistic characters dealing with emotional themes

SG1/SGA are not Drama/Soap although some elements are touched on to add depth to these action/adventure series. If you want to see a show focused on Soap/Drama go watch BSG or Days of our Lives.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                    The Powers That Be. It usually means to describe the writers, producers, etc.
                    I thought it had something to do with the writers or studio but I didn't know the exact translation. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Bytor View Post
                      Not to mention Season 5 officially already aired on Sci-Fi before the DVD release and was old news by the time the DVD's came out. Where as with AOT, people may have been buying or buying it sooner so they can SEE it.

AOK's primary goal was to make money on the DVD market. Season 5 revenue was geared toward advertising during the season
                      Yeah it's a big accomplishment that they drove in more units, especially in a DVD market that is in a decline because of the economy. MGM makes more money on a box set than a DVD movie. That is just common sense. So even half the units sold is still going to be a success if the number is that big.
                      sigpic

Comment

No one likes spin either.

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                          I'd hope that MGM would take this into account when getting the SGA movie off the ground. None of the actors at cons this past weekend knew squat. One thought, it's not happening, another thought, it's happening.
                          MGM is in debt trouble and not producing much in the way of new content at the moment.

Here is a link to an article from today's LA Times about MGM's debt.
                          LA Time MGM article
                          My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Wait, Brian, you said it sold half a million, was the 100 thousand just for the first week?
                            sigpic

Comment

The saddest part is reading the old posts from this time last year where the movies were green lit and just waiting for MGM......still waiting....
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
                                The saddest part is reading the old posts from this time last year where the movies were green lit and just waiting for MGM......still waiting....
                                I mean A WHOLE YEAR and nothing. Hard to believe we were holding our breaths thinking something would actually happen. Its kinda sad though. I think if MGM wasn't in debt, there would be a movie. All the factors were lined up d*** near perfectly.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X