Multichannel News: Atlantis Ends Run on Sci Fi, Greenlighted for Movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by prion View Post
    the third series will probaby be made on SGA's grave, so to speak. SGU will be cheaper because they'll start with total unknown actors.

while i hate this whole mess, i feel very sorry for the actors, who are now on the unemployment line (or will be in about 1.5 months).
    At least Atlantis will have it's 100 episodes, live on in syndication, and they'll have their royalties.

Hmmm...sort of reminds me of Enterprise. Except that Atlantis doesn't suck.

And I'm not advocating rash spamming, PG, but I am interested in what we can do if it is MGM or if it's Sci Fi.
    sigpic

Comment

check out the GW article
      The show will go on, though, with a 2-hour movie that will air on SCI FI in 2009, and be released on DVD by MGM. The film will be written by executive producers Joseph Mallozzi and Paul Mullie.

It's intended to be the first of an on-going series of Atlantis movies, according to the report.

**snip**

"The show will live on as a network franchise," the report also says. This could indicate that future Atlantis movies are a lock for SCI FI, or it may be a general statement about the cable network's commitment to the Stargate franchise.

**snip**

While SCI FI has not yet announced a green light for that show, the end of Atlantis may clear the way -- the dollars available for original programming, that is -- for the next series.
      http://www.gateworld.net/news/2008/0..._end_thi.shtml
      sigpic
      The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

It sounds like everyone (TPTB) seems pretty resigned to Atlantis' fate. They're settling with the tv movies. At Comic Con it was suggested that it could be picked up elsewhere and they made it pretty clear that they're sticking with SciFi. Besides, I can't really think of a decent channel that might take it on. They've done terrifically well at a time when the whole of TV is suffering, but not so well that another channel would take a gamble on it, especially when SciFi will probably be airing the next SG-1 movie. They won't want to split the franchise. Anyway, we'll have to wait and see what Joe Mallozzi says on his blog tomorrow. Maybe he'll be able to shed some light on it all.
        Science fiction movies are weak just where the science fiction novels are strong - on science. But they can supply something the novels can never provide - sensuous elaboration by means of images and sounds. Science fiction films are not about science. They are about disaster.

The Imagination of Disaster, Susan Sontag

This sig is sponsored by Pegasus Fried Human - The Todd's Choice

Comment

Originally posted by Erised View Post
          Yay!!!!! It's about freaking time!!!!!!
          I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
          Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Originally posted by Esquin View Post
            Second of all it was it's time. The writing for the show has been in a steady decline for some time now, and the SG-1 finale jsut made Atlantis too difficult a show to watch. There's no sense of urgency now, least of all if there are Earth ships about.

It's sad that it's ending but i'd rather it end now then try and put out another season of substandard episodes. At least now the show can end when it still has some element of entertainment left in it. Even this season they've been having a hard time with stories, every potential big story they nip in the butt before the episodes finished. I don't want to watch a show like that.

To me it just doesn't feel like stargate anymore, and I really don't have any urge to watch it and I haven't for some time.
            That's fine for you, mate... but what about all of us who are still enjoying this series? What about those of us who felt Season 4 was the best season yet? It's you're right to enjoy this news, I can't make you feel differently, but please note all the angry/sad/disappointed/crushed folks in this thread who were still enjoying this series. The show may have been taken from you 2 years ago, but now it's taken from all of us.

If you're wondering how time travel works, and other science facts
            Then repeat to yourself 'It's just a kickass show, I should really just relax'

Muh Arts-like Thingies

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora's_Box View Post

And I'm not advocating rash spamming, PG, but I am interested in what we can do if it is MGM or if it's Sci Fi.
              Oh, I didn't say you were spamming rashly, that was someone else.

But hopefully that info is coming soon.

Comment

It's intended to be the first of an on-going series of Atlantis movies, according to the report.
                I'll believe it when I see it.

"The show will live on as a network franchise," the report also says. This could indicate that future Atlantis movies are a lock for SCI FI, or it may be a general statement about the cable network's commitment to the Stargate franchise.
                I think the latter is more likely than the former.

While SCI FI has not yet announced a green light for that show, the end of Atlantis may clear the way -- the dollars available for original programming, that is -- for the next series.
                *shakes head*
                - Life after Stargate -
                Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
                Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
                sigpic

Comment

This was pretty much expected ever since TPTB stated they wouldn't start Universe until Atlantis ended it's run.

I've been waiting for this announcement ever since.

Sucks though.
                  Same here. As this has been sinking in over the last few minutes, I'm getting angrier and angrier. For **** sakes!!

Comment

At least Atlantis will have it's 100 episodes, live on in syndication, and they'll have their royalties.

Hmmm...sort of reminds me of Enterprise. Except that Atlantis doesn't suck.

excuse me? thats your feelings. i loved the show. <mod snip>
                    Last edited by TameFarrar; 20 August 2008, 06:49 PM.
                    There is nothing to be gained by second guessing yourself. You can't remake the past, so look ahead...or risk being left behind

Comment

Universe sounds like such a mundane plot. I find it unlikely it will be as good as SGA
                      Originally posted by aretood2
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

I am an SGA fan. I love the idea of Atlantis. I love John and Rodney.

I am not remotely interested in SGU. The plot sounds unoriginal and, frankly, kind of boring.

Cancelling Atlantis to make room for SGU brings the likelihood of my watching SGU down to nil.

I want Atlantis.

If Atlantis is gone for good (apart from a couple of movies far in the future), I will not be watching anything else MGM produces, nor anything else shown on Sci Fi. I will also avoid the advertisers' products.

The people who made this decision are treating the fans like crap. I think the fans will enjoy returning the favor.
                        I know I will.

Comment

Originally posted by The TARDIS View Post
                          That's fine for you, mate... but what about all of us who are still enjoying this series? What about those of us who felt Season 4 was the best season yet? It's you're right to enjoy this news, I can't make you feel differently, but please note all the angry/sad/disappointed/crushed folks in this thread who were still enjoying this series. The show may have been taken from you 2 years ago, but now it's taken from all of us.
                          You misunderstand Tardis.

It's not that Im enjoying the news, I just understand why it has to happen and what's driving it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
                            The GW article has a lot of speuclation in it. You're better off reading the MultiChannel article as they're actually a trade paper.

Well, I suspect this move will cause a certain percernage of people to just drop SciFi once SGA ends. Why keep a channel with basically crap on it?

I just hope the movie isn't a retread with friggin' replicatosr, since Mallozzi et all seem so enamored of the aliens. they should really work on a good wraith plot.

Comment

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
                              It kinda makes sense from a studio perspective, this way they get all the financial profit. Ill take it as a sign of the phasing out of the weekly tv show format in the 21st century. We want it when we want it. On the plus side it puts the control completely on the network who clearly wants more product.

Ill miss seeing a new story every week, but if were getting 2 sg1 movies and 2 sga a year itll be one every 3 months if evenly spaced with a huge budget and longer story.

The live + ratings clearly show the demand for the show, just that we arent sitting down at the prescribed airing time/date to see it. Maybe this is mgm taking the first big step into the internet entertainment age? will history see it as antenna>cable>ondemand? I think this will be a good thing long term, although im sad right now. And i humbly suggest they have the sga movie and another sg1 movie out, with the sga2nd movie in production before airing universe. Time will soothe our nerdrage and make us receptive to a new show along with trimonthly installments of our current favorites.
                              Yeah, but *sniffle* do you know how long it is between movies? Plus, how many can we possibly get? Even if it's like the Star Trek of direct to dvd movies, we may get ten at best, a six - four split between SG-1 and Atlantis. Then, some yahoo will come along a "reboot" the series...

*grumble* *grumble* *grumble* *grumble*

Comment

If anyone is serious about a save Atlantis campaign we need to start ASAP, no waiting days or weeks to get the ball rolling but get it going to today.

PG15 you said you live close? How many people else can we get going -and that convention perfect timing.

We need to act now - I'd be willing to host and pay for a domain with a petition or similiar anyone else in?

Comment

Working...
                                X