No announcement yet.

Multichannel News: Atlantis Ends Run on Sci Fi, Greenlighted for Movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel so depressed, I just don't get the world anymore.

Comment

Fair enough

I don't think i've ever got the world yet Satta....or ever will.

'You gotta admit, Vampires are just plain cool'

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora's_Box View Post
        It was canceled to make way for Universe. That's as plain as day despite what TPTB will say from now on.

I'm seriously stumped by this though. Did they expect that no one would care? That there would be no outrage? Are they expecting this to bode well for SGU?

Then I remember that we are but a wee bit of the fan-verse. They're probably sitting in their leather recliners cackling with glee at all the publicity this will generate, especially during a Con.
        I don't think they are cackling with glee, I doubt that they even given it any thought. These people don't care about the fans. This is the way business operates these days. Absolutely no loyalty to anyone. They don't care about the customers or fans, they don't really need to. People as a whole are too lazy to do anything about it. If I don't like the way I am being treated where I spend my money, I don't go back to that store. But a lot of people say, well it is more convenient for me to continue to come here and that exactly what they do eventhough they are not treated with respect. They say that they will make movies about SGA. I bought the first two SG1 movies and they were OK but that's all, just OK. I rather have the TV series with O'neill. I was shocked and sadden by the news. I really enjoyed SGA even when they made the mistake of getting rid of Carson and Elizabeth. I still was trying to get over that.

Comment

Of course they care about the customers, they need to keep them happy to keep making money. What people need to realise is that the fans only make up a very small proportion of those customers, and we can't expect special treatment, not do we deserve it.

Comment

There is only one thing the SGA fans can do, well besides ignoring the trolls here who get in the fans face. You can support the show and make Atlantis get multilple movies aired on SCI FI and/or released on DVD. So this fight is important because we want to see SGA continue like SG-1 did. We will not go gentle into that good night.
            sigpic

Comment

SG1/SGA/SGU - SF Signal: Mind Meld: The Future of Star Wars:

From SF Signal:

(Please follow the link for the complete Mind Meld discussion.)

MIND MELD: The Future of Star Wars

With the release of the new Clone Wars movie, we here at SF Signal have looked at the box office results and pondered where the Star Wars franchise goes from here. For this week's Mind Meld, we turned the future of Star Wars over to our panel of respondents.

Q: Is it time for Star Wars to go on hiatus for a long while, or is there hope the new, live-action TV series will breathe new life into the series?

Keith R.A. DeCandido

Keith has published over thirty novels, most of them in the realm of media tie-ins. The majority of his work has appeared in the worlds of Star Trek. Keith has written novels, novellas, comic books, short stories, and eBooks, and also edited several anthologies that cover all five TV shows as well as several prose-only series -- one of which, the Corps of Engineers eBook series, he co-developed. Several of his Trek novels have hit the USA Today best-seller list, and received critical acclaim from all over the map, both online and in print, and Keith also continues to edit the monthly Star Trek eBook line.

Star Wars' place in popular culture is doing just fine, thanks. It's still one of the most popular franchises on the planet, and that's not likely to change any time soon, and the 1977 release of Star Wars will always be a benchmark in American film history regardless.

This same question came up repeatedly around the turn of the century regarding Star Trek. The notion that people were tired of Trek when there was only one show on the air and the occasional movie is silly when, from 1987-1999, there were one or two shows on the air and a movie every 2-3 years -- and the franchise was at its most popular and nobody was sick of it. What hurt Star Trek wasn't too much Star Trek, but too much Star Trek that wasn't appealing to people.

Star Wars is hitting the same problem. It's not that people are tired of Star Wars, it's that they're tired of Star Wars that ain't so hot. The problem The Clone Wars is having is that it's not something that the world at large is dying to know about. Whatever the flaws of the prequel trilogy -- and they were legion -- they were also chronicling the background of Darth Vader, one of the greatest menaces of 20th-century fiction. There's no similar hook in The Clone Wars -- not aided by the fact that this conflict has already been covered in novel, comic book, and animated form previously (Genndy Tartovsky's collection of five-minute shorts was a magnificent piece of work) -- and people are also fatigued from the giant black hole of dreadful that was the prequel trilogy.

People are more than happy to keep coming back if they enjoy what they see. The Stargate franchise is an excellent example of that. Stargate SG1 lasted ten years, and now is being continued in very successful direct-to-DVD movies, Stargate Atlantis is now in its fifth season, and a third TV show is in development. Nobody's talking about franchise fatigue for Stargate, because they're still producing material that people want to see.

If the new live-action Star Wars series is good and appealing to a large audience, then it will breathe new life. If it continues the downward trend of the live-action films that really goes back to the moment the Ewoks first showed up in Return of the Jedi, then they've got problems.

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
              SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
              Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

And yet MGM just shot Atlantis in the head.....

*Sigh*

'You gotta admit, Vampires are just plain cool'

Comment

With the movies on the horizon it's more like...

"shot in the leg"

Comment

SGA - Northern Stars: Stargate Goes Long:

At Northern Stars (Toronto,ON,Canada):

(Please follow the link for the complete article.)

Stargate Goes Long

By Glen Russell

(August 29, 2008 – Victoria, B.C.) -- Fans of the internationally popular series Stargate:Atlantis have reason to cheer. After the series ends in 2009, the story will continue thanks to an announcement from the US Sci-Fi Channel that it has greenlit a two-hour movie based on the series.

The movie, as yet untitled, follows two previous long-form productions. "We're excited to tell 'Atlantis' stories on a bigger canvas. The successes of the two original 'Stargate' DTV movies 'The Ark of Truth' and 'Continuum' have shown us the opportunities that the movie format offers. We have plans for both 'SG-1' and 'Atlantis' to remain vital as we expand the franchise," said Brad Wright and Robert C. Cooper, co-creators of Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis and who both currently serve as executive producers on Atlantis.

**snippage**

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
                    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
                    Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Stargantic View Post
                      Not trying to screw with you. Just trying to get the truth. I think your right, it's bogus. The producers wouldn't be that stupid. Would they?
                      I can't speak for the Atlantis movie, although I doubt there will be anything definite yet on who will or won't be appearing, but there is no way there will be definite casting decisions on Universe yet, and if there were, contracts would not be finalised so soon after greenlighting, so Brad Wright and RCC would never be foolish enough to leak that kind of info to a whole group of randoms at IGN, no matter how much said randoms love the show. Whoever that person is, they've given so much detail, included characters' ranks, that they would have had to have been given the information in writing. TPTB wouldn't be that reckless. And really, are BW and RCC going to be giving details about who has a crush on who and describing anyone as a 'hunky playboy?' Whether they're aiming at a young audience or not, that is straight out of the piss take in 200 and seems designed to freak out fans who hate romantic storylines invading their sci-fi. Besides which, the budget is unlikely to cover that many known actors, epecially Kristin Kreuk, who has been in a higher rated show than Stargate for several years.

In any case, the whole thing was blown out of the water by the Sam/Jack thing at the end.

At this point, there will be people all over the web trying to get attention from concerned fans of the show who are worried about where the franchise is headed, by coming out with absolute rubbish about what is on the way. The best thing is only to pay attention to sources you know you can trust, such as Gateworld, and take everything else you hear with a boulder-sized bit of salt.

Having said that...

'My name is Lt. Cmd. Stu Johnson...you killed my general...prepare to die!

I think I like it...
                      Last edited by topaz_bean; 29 August 2008, 10:33 AM.
                      Science fiction movies are weak just where the science fiction novels are strong - on science. But they can supply something the novels can never provide - sensuous elaboration by means of images and sounds. Science fiction films are not about science. They are about disaster.

The Imagination of Disaster, Susan Sontag

This sig is sponsored by Pegasus Fried Human - The Todd's Choice

Comment

Thanks Topaz bean that cleared it up for me. Bogus information, indeed!!

Comment

The best way to track news on SGU is via trade papers. Fan sites will always speculate, even if they don't realize it at times.

Personally, I think the *manner* in which the cancellation was done, the SGU announcement made, showed a distinct lack of respect for the viewerbase, particularly the remark about fans needing a 'fix.'

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                            Personally, I think the *manner* in which the cancellation was done, the SGU announcement made, showed a distinct lack of respect for the viewerbase, particularly the remark about fans needing a 'fix.'
                            Well, if it bites them in the ass, they'll be the first to feel/know it.
                            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                              The best way to track news on SGU is via trade papers. Fan sites will always speculate, even if they don't realize it at times.

I agree. I really resented the suggestion that we're so un-discerning that they can assume we'll be happy with anything that just makes reference to a stargate. As if character or narrative is completely irrelevant to us. Either that, or they think that the fanbase doesn't matter.

To be honest, I think the Stargate fanbase is more important than some give it credit for. Just think how successful David Hewlett was with A Dog's Breakfast, because he decided to market to and take advantage of a huge pool of dedicated and active fans.
                              Science fiction movies are weak just where the science fiction novels are strong - on science. But they can supply something the novels can never provide - sensuous elaboration by means of images and sounds. Science fiction films are not about science. They are about disaster.

The Imagination of Disaster, Susan Sontag

This sig is sponsored by Pegasus Fried Human - The Todd's Choice

Comment

you know how come all scifi shows seem to go for five seasons and then end no mater how good they are it seems like five is it loiok it up alot of um end at five its a conspiracy i tell yahh anyway i feel rilly robbed here they killed sg1 even though it had great ratings and a great cast hoestly i dont know which team i like more the originals or ben brouders team and now there doing it again!!!!!! this time its atlantis on the choping block AND WORST OF ALL WE DON'T EVEN GET A FINALE SEASON there just gonna wrap up the season and thats it thats it why why why..............I think after i buy the last two seasons on dvd this is it for me im so tired of scifi and mgms bulls**t this show could have gone on for at least a couple more seasons......WE ATLEAST DESERVE A FINALE SEASON A DESENT FINALE SEASON NOT THIS HALF WAY DONE CR#$%*** there pullin......I DON'T THINK I'LL BE WATCHING THE NEW SHOW EATHER IM DONE WITH UM TWICE IS JUST TO MUCH.

Comment

Working...
                                X