Multichannel News: Atlantis Ends Run on Sci Fi, Greenlighted for Movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lantien View Post
    MGM only has profit on their minds. If you take it into consideration that Atlantis is getting better and SG1 cast is moving on to their own projects, this is the most profitable way to market the franchise. The movies will be sold on anticipation of seeing the conclusion to the story (low advertising cost). They will then rent it to the networks {Sci-Fi, Sky One, TMN (East), MC (West)}, and lets not forget iTunes and Amazon and now Sony Playstation store. I had a feeling this would happen when I saw Ark of truth on the ps3 store. MGM is thinking big for them not sci-fi or us they are greedy as most of Hollywood is. Think how much they think they save in loss preventions. Airing a series on TV where you can record or TiVo cuts into the sales of the season (so they think). And if they keep good security it might take a few weeks before AXXO or KLAXXON rip it. I wish TPTB realize that if they keep SGA for 2 more seasons, Make a theatrical sg1 they could be better than star trek. They should have shop a major network like NBC then go for theaters. I bet if they were to aim for the big screen RDA and the rest of sg1 would jump on it. I hate this and feel betrayed but it’s expected.
    Agreed, except, I don't know about that part about being better than Star Trek...

Comment

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
      I think a series of movies for sg1 and a series for sga will be more profitable for MGM which will ensure the franchise will live on forever! We will be missing out on some of the slower episodes, and we will never see a movie of clip shows XD But we will be getting the same stories that used to be spread out over 3-5 episodes told as a continous story, and be budgeted much larger.

Like if the entire replicator/todd/weir arc was a series of individual movies with their own plots that added up to the same 10 episodes of a tv show. Maybe were loosing 3-4 hrs of screen time but its the same story told in a movie fashion (which is far different from tv writing) and given the $$ to make it really GLEAM.

Dont be too upset, sga will be back.
      As sad and pissed off as I am, this post makes a lot of sense. I'll be alright in a few days, followed by a lot more sadness as the show comes to an end; but I'll still be there looking forward to more SG-1 movies, SG-A movies, and SG-U as well.

Originally posted by Ncc-72452 View Post
      Star Trek's not dead! What are you talking about???

We're gettin' a new movie next May!
      And it looks like it's going to be awesome!

Comment

Well this sucks. I wish I could say I was surprised, but.....

I've been extremely disappointed in this season so far, but I was HOPING that after this run of weak episodes they'd be able to turn it around soon. Now if they do I'm just going to be extremely sad.

But right now I'm slightly miffed, nothing more. Glad to hear about the movie though, that seems a good format for the Stargate franchise at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora's_Box View Post
          I think for the very reason they thought SGA would be a success - because it's a part of this franchise.

I don't know if this is the best way to go about initiating it though.

Although, it will be garnering a lot of media attention as a result. And in show business, there's no such thing as bad publicity.
          Exactly, SGA wasn't brought into existence by SG-1's end. I think having the two shows on at the same time gave SGA a sort of legitimacy, like SGA was the little brother, not the replacement. If they had done something similar, I'm not sure SGA would have lasted nearly this long.

I don't know though, just because Universe is part of the franchise may not save it in the long run, though I'd watch it.

Comment

I think its awesome that atlantis made it 5 seasons in 2008. Most shows dont make it a season, and this went 5. And now were getting movie(s).
            The problem is, and this is just for me personally-not speaking for anyone else, it was just starting to feel like we were getting back on track after the shakeup after S3. I know a lot of people loved S4, and there were some things I enjoyed about it, but it always just felt like a transitional season to me. With Woolsey here, things were finally starting to feel back on track (again-just speaking for myself). And I was looking forward to seeing that new dynamic play out over at least one more season. Now that hope's gone.

It was kind of the same thing with SG-1, actually, although I wasn't as invested in those characters so I didn't take it as hard. But S9 was a transitional year, and S10 settled down and started getting better (IMO of course). I was looking forward to seeing that team develop into a S11, but they didn't give them the chance.
            - Life after Stargate -
            Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
            Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
            sigpic

Comment

As bad as it is for us, it must be awful for the actors. They're still filming! Putting all that effort into a doomed project must be very demoralizing.

At least Jason gets to remove the dreads permanently!
              sigpic

Comment

If we were to let it continue then it would beat star trek

Comment

Originally posted by Killdeer View Post
                  The problem is, and this is just for me personally-not speaking for anyone else, it was just starting to feel like we were getting back on track after the shakeup after S3. I know a lot of people loved S4, and there were some things I enjoyed about it, but it always just felt like a transitional season to me. With Woolsey here, things were finally starting to feel back on track (again-just speaking for myself). And I was looking forward to seeing that new dynamic play out over at least one more season. Now that hope's gone.

It was kind of the same thing with SG-1, actually, although I wasn't as invested in those characters so I didn't take it as hard. But S9 was a transitional year, and S10 settled down and started getting better (IMO of course). I was looking forward to seeing that team develop into a S11, but they didn't give them the chance.
                  I couldn't possibly agree more.
                  sigpic

Comment

I think a series of movies for sg1 and a series for sga will be more profitable for MGM which will ensure the franchise will live on forever! We will be missing out on some of the slower episodes, and we will never see a movie of clip shows XD But we will be getting the same stories that used to be spread out over 3-5 episodes told as a continous story, and be budgeted much larger.

Like if the entire replicator/todd/weir arc was a series of individual movies with their own plots that added up to the same 10 episodes of a tv show. Maybe were loosing 3-4 hrs of screen time but its the same story told in a movie fashion (which is far different from tv writing) and given the $$ to make it really GLEAM.

Dont be too upset, sga will be back.
                    You know, I'd be more okay with this movie franchise idea if I didn't think that the first 2 SG-1 movies were a complete waste of both my time and the digital space they took up.

It may be an unpopular opinion, but seeing what TPTB did with those movies, I'm not waiting for anything awesome out of SGA.

They may be profitable, but I'm not expecting revolutionary bits of SF. I loved the series, what can I say.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Vis Uban View Post
                      Exactly, SGA wasn't brought into existence by SG-1's end. I think having the two shows on at the same time gave SGA a sort of legitimacy, like SGA was the little brother, not the replacement. If they had done something similar, I'm not sure SGA would have lasted nearly this long.

I don't know though, just because Universe is part of the franchise may not save it in the long run, though I'd watch it.
                      The fact is, although I watched SG-1 on and off since I was young, I'm not really a franchise fan, I'm an SGA fan. Again, I probably will watch bits of SGU when it comes out, but I rarely get hooked on shows. It is really disappointing.
                      Science fiction movies are weak just where the science fiction novels are strong - on science. But they can supply something the novels can never provide - sensuous elaboration by means of images and sounds. Science fiction films are not about science. They are about disaster.

The Imagination of Disaster, Susan Sontag

This sig is sponsored by Pegasus Fried Human - The Todd's Choice

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                        ?* Well this sucks.?* I wish I could say I was surprised, but.....I've been extremely disappointed in this season so far, but I was HOPING that after this run of weak episodes they'd be able to turn it around soon.?* Now if they do I'm just going to be extremely sad.?* But right now I'm slightly miffed, nothing more.?* Glad to hear about the movie though, that seems a good format for the Stargate franchise at the moment.
                        It really doesn't have anything to do with SGA's quality. If SGA isn't be cancelled to make room for SGU, I'll eat my pillow.
                        Originally posted by aretood2
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Lantien View Post
                          If we were to let it continue then it would beat star trek
                          Not in this space-time continuum...

I LOVE Stargate, but some things are just...

Hallowed...

Comment

So, PG? You taking that megaphone and proclaiming the injustice to the high heavens?
                            Uh...maybe. Heh. The adrenaline rush earlier seems to have died down a bit.

I'll see what JM says tomorrow before doing anything. The con lasts until the 24th, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                              It really doesn't have anything to do with SGA's quality.?* If SGA isn't be cancelled to make room for SGU, I'll eat my pillow.
                              While SCI FI has not yet announced a green light for that show, the end of Atlantis may clear the way -- the dollars available for original programming, that is -- for the next series.
                              http://www.gateworld.net/news/2008/0..._end_thi.shtml
                              sigpic
                              The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

You know, I'd be more okay with this movie franchise idea if I didn't think that the first 2 SG-1 movies were a complete waste of both my time and the digital space they took up.

It may be an unpopular opinion, but seeing what TPTB did with those movies, I'm not waiting for anything awesome out of SGA.

They may be profitable, but I'm not expecting revolutionary bits of SF. I loved the series, what can I say.
                                I thought the first two SG-1 movies were fine, but your exactly right, they fine but nothing new. Just like watching the series.

I expect the SGA will be the same; really just two episodes in a movie format, like SG-1.

Comment

Working...
                                X