Momoa might leave Atlantis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post

I'm not sure why Gateworld felt this offhand comment of Jason's was newsworthy (Skiffy, at least, is known for sensationalism) but I don't think there's any reason to get het up about it now, although it'll undoubtedly give the folks in the "cast stability" thread some fresh fodder to chew.
    It reminded me of the tone that the infotainment show THE INSIDER and ENTERTAINMENT TONIGHT use to entice people to their shows...

Comment

Originally posted by SGFerrit View Post
      Ooh, look everyone, someone hasn't been paying attention in class!
      School's out, go home.
      Ronon may not have the most screentime, but he is arguably the best developed character on the show. The character is very good, and Jason is fantastic playing him.
      I stand by my statement. He does nothing but stands around and occasionally does his caveman impression.

You may have a crush on the actor, but that's not what this is about, what i'm actually talking about is acting skills and character depth.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post

I'm not sure why Gateworld felt this offhand comment of Jason's was newsworthy (Skiffy, at least, is known for sensationalism) but I don't think there's any reason to get het up about it now, although it'll undoubtedly give the folks in the "cast stability" thread some fresh fodder to chew.
        I am wondering also why GW made such a big deal about it. As per the cast stability thread, it would seem some people want a show where everyone is safe and nothing ever happens.
        Last edited by Briangate78; 20 May 2008, 07:38 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pbutter View Post

You may have a crush on the actor, but that's not what this is about, what i'm actually talking about is acting skills and character depth.
          I agree. Momoa said that he wanted his character to go darker, but apart from one episode per season where he gets something good to play, he is used most of the times as Mr Muscle or window dressing for Keller. Not really inspiring for an actor.

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
            I am wondering also why GW made such a big deal about it. As per the cast stability thread, it would seem some people want a show where everyone is safe and nothing ever happens.
            ONe of life's mysteries

Originally posted by magie View Post
            I agree. Momoa said that he wanted his character to go darker, but apart from one episode per season where he gets something good to play, he is used most of the times as Mr Muscle or window dressing for Keller. Not really inspiring for an actor.
            NO offense, but SG (SG1 / SGA /etc) will never be known for deep writing. IT's an episodic series that entertains and does well in syndication, which is what they want. If you want true depth, there's some great fanfic out there.

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
              ONe of life's mysteries

NO offense, but SG (SG1 / SGA /etc) will never be known for deep writing. IT's an episodic series that entertains and does well in syndication, which is what they want. If you want true depth, there's some great fanfic out there.
              I do think that some of the storylines for the classic SG-1 team did have some depth -- Jack, Sam, Daniel and Teal'c had some good stories that gave their character some depth -- I think that is why many fans actually really like the whole team because we got to know different sides of them over time.

I think Ronon, Weir and Teyla have been given far less depth than McKay and to some extent, Sheppard. For me, there is much less balance between the character depth on SGA than there was on SG-1. That has hurt the show, IMO, and why I think SGA is not as successful as SG-1, although it has done quite well as a spinoff. I would have loved more Weir, Telya, Beckett, and Ronon stories, but SGA is a McKay/Shep show, whereas SG=1 was not so much a Jack/Daniel show, but rather it was a Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c show.

Comment

ONe of life's mysteries

Well I agree and disagree. I do think SGA is darker and has more moral issues come up with the show like Human Sacrifice, and Genocide. Reminds me a little of BSG, but without the sleazy sex scenes, lol.
                sigpic

Comment

I say let him go through season 6 and then end the show and do Stargate Universe!

Comment

Originally posted by GateMan2000 View Post
                    I say let him go through season 6 and then end the show and do Stargate Universe!
                    If MGM wants, they can say to end SGA at season 6, give them a nice large budget and let Atlantis go out with a bang, then move onto SGU. However, if SGA is still performing well enough for the network and MGM they will want to continue into a 7th season.
                    sigpic

Comment

So, "a completely unsatisfying job in an unsatisfying place"? No. I think not.
                      Sorry, you misunderstood me - or rather, took my words out of context. In replying to brian's comment about "and the hell with the fans", I gave a hypothetic example of working in an unsatisfying place adn in the end, doing what's right for you rather than for your workplace.
                      I don't live inside Jason Momoa's head, nor am I his best friend. Or his next to best friend. I have no idea whatsoever how he feels about his job in Stargate Atlantis - yes, there is the comment I made in my previous post andprobably elsewhere too, that I - personally, my own opinion - do not see how he can be too happy and satisfied with his current job, but not for one second was I tryign to say this is reality. My point was that the disappointment fans would feel if he left should not be a factor.
                      So, let's pay more attention in class from now on, indeed

I don't think this is true. If you look at the best episodes of SG1, you've got some really deep, well though writing in there. Stargate used to do some beautiful, thought provoking stuff. Even Atlantis, with all my problems with the show, had a small number of episodes that at least "tickled" that deep part.
                      Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                      Yes, I am!
                      sigpic
                      Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                      Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                      Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Just a thought: If you really think Stargate is poorly written with little opportunity for character development, why do you watch it?
                        If it comes down to it, I will have a plan. In fact I've cleared my whole afternoon for planning.

Comment

Originally posted by Vala_mal_Doran View Post
                          Just a thought: If you really think Stargate is poorly written with little opportunity for character development, why do you watch it?
                          I'd answer that but I promised the mods I would be a good white puppy dog.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Vala_mal_Doran View Post
                            I'll answer it, because when it comes to Atlantis, it's true for me, even though I would disagree with this statement about SG1.
                            Simply - I watch because I have hope. I adore McKay enough to hang on to him while watching so top make it somewhat bearable, and I have hope because I know these writers - they can be damn good writers when they want to, and they can have marvellous character development, fantastic storylines and beautiful episodes.
                            They can do it.
                            (Even M&M )
                            For some reason, they seem to not want to.... but I still have hope. I've been watching Stargate for the past 11 years, I find myself continuing out of hope.
                            Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                            Yes, I am!
                            sigpic
                            Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                            Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                            Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Working...
                            X