SGA and possible SAG (Screen Actors Guild) Strike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rarocks24 View Post
    Another pointless strike. Any and all revenues gained digitally are negligable to those gained by conventional methods, and to do this, would severely drain their funds, causing problems if there was ever a need for a true strike. In fact, the money they could lose would be greater than the money they'd gain from this.
    Not in every case - look at AoT and Continuum - digital revenue is it. No box office, no advertising revenue. I get the impression that the digital share is increasing in importance for other releases too - otherwise why would studios invest in box sets and extras and special editions etc if they weren't making a pretty penny from them?

Given that we aren't in the room for the negotiations and the only source of information we have is the media, I don't think we're in a position to judge whether or not the (possible) strike is pointless. As much as I don't want to see American TV and film production ground to a halt, I doubt that it would happen without very good reason.
    sigpic

Comment

Has SGA S5 finished filming yet?
      Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

Originally posted by Lahela View Post
        Not in every case - look at AoT and Continuum - digital revenue is it. No box office, no advertising revenue. I get the impression that the digital share is increasing in importance for other releases too - otherwise why would studios invest in box sets and extras and special editions etc if they weren't making a pretty penny from them?

Given that we aren't in the room for the negotiations and the only source of information we have is the media, I don't think we're in a position to judge whether or not the (possible) strike is pointless. As much as I don't want to see American TV and film production ground to a halt, I doubt that it would happen without very good reason.
        What? Like with the writers strike? LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
          What? Like with the writers strike? LOL.
          *shrugs*
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Bra'tac View Post
            Has SGA S5 finished filming yet?
            Nope.

And they still have 5 or 6 episodes left.

Comment

If this strike takes place, I think it's going to end up being that SGA airs 5.0 from July until September, then BSG returns in January of '09, then SGA airs 5.5 soon after BSG's 4.5 is finished airing, assuming the strike is well past completion by then (circa March '09) so that the final batch of episodes can be shot.

Ideally, none of this will even happen, and SGA gets a much shorter mid-season break. Ideally.
              If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                Nope.

I hope they do not cop out & just stop. It will be challenging to do Atlantis without the Hero & Muscle guy. Write them out writers & step up to the plate

Comment

Well I hope that it either doesn't go ahead or it goes ahead after they finish filming. Stargate is really the only show I care about. Unless 24 season 7 restores my faith in it...
                  Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

Nope.

I think it's seven left? Outsiders was the last to be filmed and that's episode 13? Inquisition was before that at 12, and the two parter before that. Well they were all filmed together at some points! So I think it's seven left?
                    sigpic

Comment

I think Mallozzi said that Outsiders was 14 in shooting order.

Comment

Yeah, that's what got me confused. We've been keeping tabs on filming thanks to the blog, but I don't remember them filming anything in between that would make Outsider #14. They seemed to be going in order this time.

Comment

SyFy Portal has a post today about the possible SAG strike. Could possibly be sad news for con goers. One of which is me.

Comment

Nope.

lol it's just a tv show

if ti's gets delayed it's to a big deal when the strike ends the series will return and these always dvds

Comment

Originally posted by GateDragon View Post
                              lol it's just a tv show

if ti's gets delayed it's to a big deal when the strike ends the series will return and these always dvds
                              It is just a TV show, but its the means of employment to lots of folk as well as peripheral business. The economy is already taking a hit from the subprime crap and the entertainment industry is just recovering from the writer's strike.

A good article on the strike's affect in Canada can be found here:
                              http://canada.com.dose.ca/topics/ent...0-a27ed70af80e

STRIKE'S EFFECTS

If a strike were to happen, moviegoers won't notice the effects at first.

Most major movie productions have already been shut down, in anticipation of a difficult and protracted labour negotiation. It can take as long as two years for a studio feature film to reach theatres once it's in production, so the earliest moviegoers would notice the results of a prolonged actors' strike would be Christmas, 2009.

TV viewers are likely to notice much more quickly, however.

The hosts of nearly all reality TV shows are SAG members, as are many if not all late-night talk show hosts.

That means the networks would not be able to rely on reality-TV shows or late-night talk shows to fill the void, as they did during the writers' strike.
                              LOTS more at link above

And well, if you're going to Comic Con??

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/06/24/...uin-comic-con/

One thing that we haven’t talked much about on /Film is the looming SAG strike (the contract expires on June 30th). And truth is the strike might directly effect your fandom more immediately than the writers strike. Our friends at Collider point out that the strike could mean that any actor with a SAG card would not be allowed to promote anything that has to do with a movie studio property. The first effected event will be the San Diego Comic Con which is coming up in mid-July. If the strike happens, this means that none of the actors will be present for the panels.

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                                It is just a TV show, but its the means of employment to lots of folk as well as peripheral business.
                                true for your whole post but i was mostly talking to the fans that are going to start whining

Comment

Working...
                                X