X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dec 9 2008

http://www.tvweek.com/blogs/tvbizwir...strike_pus.php

SAG Members Endorse Strike Push - Variety

About 400 members of the Screen Actors Guild who met Monday in Hollywood endorsed the group's push to authorize a strike, Daily Variety reports. SAG will hold two more meetings, one in New York next Monday and another in Hollywood on Dec. 17, to gain support for the vote. The ballots will be sent to SAG's more than 120,000 members by the end of the month. There were no protestors outside the theater where the meeting was held, DeadlineHollywoodDaily reports.
    Last edited by prion; 09 December 2008, 02:48 PM.

Comment

I recall during the threat of a strike while they were still shooting that someone raised the issue of con attendance (ie that SAG actors couldn't attend cons) but I was wondering if someone with a better understanding of the machinations of TV land than me knows whether that would still hold, seeing as the show will be finished as of early January? Specifically, if SAG strikes and they are still out in February, should I expect the SAG actors not to attend the unofficial SG con in the UK?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lahela View Post
        I recall during the threat of a strike while they were still shooting that someone raised the issue of con attendance (ie that SAG actors couldn't attend cons) but I was wondering if someone with a better understanding of the machinations of TV land than me knows whether that would still hold, seeing as the show will be finished as of early January? Specifically, if SAG strikes and they are still out in February, should I expect the SAG actors not to attend the unofficial SG con in the UK?
        Hmm, good question. I think they can attend if they are NOT promoting the show. And since the show got axed... what's to promote?

Comment

VARIETY – Dec 10 2008

SAG could strike by end of January
          Guild to send out ballots on Jan. 2

By DAVE MCNARY

Excerpt:

The Screen Actors Guild has made its strike threat official, announcing it will send out authorization ballots Jan. 2 and reveal the results Jan. 23 -- setting the stage for an Oscars boycott and a halt to most production.

SAG announced the timeline Wednesday with the goal of forcing congloms back to the bargaining table, even though the companies declared five months ago they were finished with negotiations. The companies have insisted they won't change their final offer to SAG, made June 30 as SAG's contract expired, and they've blasted guild leaders for insisting they deserve a sweeter deal than the other Hollywood unions.

More than 75% of voting members will have to affirm the authorization for SAG to go on strike. Final say over a walkout will come from the guild's national board of directors, and SAG toppers insist such a step is only a last resort.

….

According to people with knowledge of the meeting, the SAG toppers said it was premature to discuss whether the guild will tell its members to avoid the Feb. 22 Academy Awards and indicated the question would probably be addressed when the guild issues its strike rules.

Full story at
          http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=18&cs=1

Comment

I'm getting very nervous about the cons... I've asked for clarification on the Chevron forums...
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lahela View Post
              I'm getting very nervous about the cons... I've asked for clarification on the Chevron forums...
              If you do get clarification, could you print the relevant excerpt and link back to it here? I'm sure everyone would appreciate it!

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                If you do get clarification, could you print the relevant excerpt and link back to it here? I'm sure everyone would appreciate it!
                Of course
                sigpic

Comment

VARIETY – Dec 10 2008

SAG could strike by end of January
                  Guild to send out ballots on Jan. 2

By DAVE MCNARY

Excerpt:

The Screen Actors Guild has made its strike threat official, announcing it will send out authorization ballots Jan. 2 and reveal the results Jan. 23 -- setting the stage for an Oscars boycott and a halt to most production.

SAG announced the timeline Wednesday with the goal of forcing congloms back to the bargaining table, even though the companies declared five months ago they were finished with negotiations. The companies have insisted they won't change their final offer to SAG, made June 30 as SAG's contract expired, and they've blasted guild leaders for insisting they deserve a sweeter deal than the other Hollywood unions.

More than 75% of voting members will have to affirm the authorization for SAG to go on strike. Final say over a walkout will come from the guild's national board of directors, and SAG toppers insist such a step is only a last resort.

….

According to people with knowledge of the meeting, the SAG toppers said it was premature to discuss whether the guild will tell its members to avoid the Feb. 22 Academy Awards and indicated the question would probably be addressed when the guild issues its strike rules.

Full story at
                  Thanks for the article. I just wanted to point out that as mentioned in the full story, there is rank and file opposition to the strike. There are many actors who believe that given the economic climate, now is not the time for a strike.

For more info on their position, here's a web site set up by SAG members who oppose the strike: http://sagdecision.com/index.html
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mala50 View Post
                    Thanks for the article. I just wanted to point out that as mentioned in the full story, there is rank and file opposition to the strike. There are many actors who believe that given the economic climate, now is not the time for a strike.

For more info on their position, here's a web site set up by SAG members who oppose the strike: http://sagdecision.com/index.html
                    Hadn't seen that, but do know about the opposition. I mean, people are losing jobs left and right in this environment and going on strike right now... ack. But I can see their point. Management will take advantage of workers at every moment they can, and not just in that industry.

Comment

Here's an interesting article at the NY Times on opposition to the strike authorization:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/11/bu...ref=television

Comment

Dec 11 2008
                        If authorization fails, SAG must settle
                        Strike requires 75% approval from those voting

By DAVE MCNARY

Leaders of the Screen Actors Guild have admitted they'll probably have to accept the congloms' final offer if members don't approve the strike authorization.

SAG national exec director Doug Allen and president Alan Rosenberg made the disclosure in response to questions Wednesday during a meeting to brief publicists and managers about the authorization campaign. For SAG leaders to be able to call a strike, 75% of those voting would have to vote affirmatively on the authorization.

REST AT LINK ABOVE

Comment

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28180598/

The ABCs of a possible SAG strike‘American Idol’ won't be halted, but ‘Housewives’ and ‘CSI’ may be
                          Dec 15 2008

Full article at link above

Comment

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28180598/

The ABCs of a possible SAG strike‘American Idol’ won't be halted, but ‘Housewives’ and ‘CSI’ may be
                            Dec 15 2008

Full article at link above
                            Lucky us
                            sigpic

Comment

From TVGuide:

New Rift Opens in SAG over Strike Vote
                              - Life after Stargate -
                              Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
                              Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
                              sigpic

Comment

More from TVGuide.com

Hollywood Heavyweights Speak Out Against SAG Strike Vote
                                - Life after Stargate -
                                Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
                                Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X