Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good news, never was a huge fan of Carter joining Atlantis (after 12 years...her character has gotten a bit stale)

Picardo's character has gotten less annoying from when he started out on SG1, and I've been a fan of him since his work on Voyager, so also great news.

Also glad to be seeing more of Jewel. (While I miss Carson, and still hate the dumb way they killed him, Jewel is much easier on the eyes )

Comment

www.syfyportal.com has a new commentary on SGA. It isn't very positive about the changes.

Article is "Atlantis: Stop Trying to be Like SG1"

Comment

Originally posted by GateLadyM View Post
        www.syfyportal.com has a new commentary on SGA. It isn't very positive about the changes.

No, it isn't very positive about the OLD changes.

Comment

Originally posted by SGFerrit View Post
          No, it isn't very positive about the OLD changes.
          The article talks about SGA becoming more like SG1. I don't think they cared for Carter, or the choice of Woolsey. The writer certainly didn't agree with Weir's dismissal.

Comment

It isn't positive at all. And I really can't imagine, how can one Earth based episode ruin a whole season for anyone, when 19 Pegasus based episodes still remain. Oh, and yes, it didn't even try to bother with the recent changes, so we might get another not so positive review soon.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pjt View Post
              It isn't positive at all. And I really can't imagine, how can one Earth based episode ruin a whole season for anyone, when 19 Pegasus based episodes still remain. Oh, and yes, it didn't even try to bother with the recent changes, so we might get another not so positive review soon.
              The writer didn't cite that one episode was the problem, but instead pointed out recycled SG1 plots (Yes, they do exist), bringing SG1 villains to SGA (replicators). I believe the point the author was making was that SGA shouldn't (or rather, its writers shouldn't) rely on dragging SG1 elements to SGA. It's time to focus on the Wraith, on new villains that wouldn't know Earth from a drop in the bucket. In other words, for the writers to stop working in the box and start thinking outside it.

By pointing out perceived flaws, the author hopes that the writers will change their old standards and beef up SGA to stand on its own two feet, that's all.

Comment

It seems like he's complaining Carter is in there too much but also in there too little... I don't like earth based stories as much either, but 'the trust' is a continuing storyline not just a rehash of SG1, unlike the replicators.

I heard that part of the deal with Tori/Weir was that there was a problem with the actress herself. Do any of you guys know about that?

Comment

SGA / Sanctuary: Chicago Tribune: When is your favorite show coming back?

From the Chicago Tribune's The Watcher blog by Maureen Ryan:

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune..../2008/02/when-
                  is-your-fa.html

(Please follow the link for the complete column.)

Originally posted: February 8, 2008

When is your favorite show coming back?

Check out the list below

If the Hollywood writers' strike isn't over by the time you read
                  this, the odds are it will be history soon.

No deal had been struck as of Friday, but most reports indicate that
                  a settlement between the Writers Guild of America, which went on
                  strike Nov. 5, and the producers who run the movie studios and TV
                  networks is in the offing. Most observers are expect that the writers
                  will return to work in the next couple of weeks – probably by Feb.
                  24, the date of the Academy Awards. They could return to work as
                  early as Monday, if all goes well.

So the question is: What next for TV, which was completely shut down
                  by the strike? What shows will go back into production, and which
                  ones will return with new episodes this spring?

The following information about when various programs may resume has
                  been collected from a variety of sources at TV networks and studios.
                  (Note: New episodes of TV that are set to air in the next few weeks
                  were shot last fall. Once programs resume production, it'll be April
                  before we see fresh programming on the air).

The decisions about when shows will start shooting again and when
                  they may air new episodes are still being made. So keep in mind that
                  much of this information is subject to change. I'll update this list
                  as new information comes in.

**snippage**

Sci Fi

"Stargate Atlantis" is airing Season 4 episodes. Production begins
                  Feb. 19 on Season 5, but no return date has been set. A new
                  series, "Sanctuary" (which began as an online show), goes into
                  production in March and will debut in the summer or fall.

**snippage**

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
                  SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
                  Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                    The writer didn't cite that one episode was the problem, but instead pointed out recycled SG1 plots (Yes, they do exist), bringing SG1 villains to SGA (replicators). I believe the point the author was making was that SGA shouldn't (or rather, its writers shouldn't) rely on dragging SG1 elements to SGA. It's time to focus on the Wraith, on new villains that wouldn't know Earth from a drop in the bucket. In other words, for the writers to stop working in the box and start thinking outside it.
                    Having twenty episodes about the Wraith is boring. Having more than one season only about the wraith is boring no end. The Asurans were a great twist, and brought an explanation to the evolution of the Milky Way replicators. I know some people hate the Asurans, particularly for the disposing of Weir by making her one of them. Nevertheless some people, including myself, think this was a twist for the better, an of course, some think it was the end of SGA.

Originally posted by prion View Post
                    By pointing out perceived flaws, the author hopes that the writers will change their old standards and beef up SGA to stand on its own two feet, that's all.
                    I don't think that the producers or the writers will ever seek inspiration from fansite reviews, more so from fansite rants.
                    sigpic

Comment

SGA - Multichannel News: Cable May Face Hot Summer:

From Multichannel News:

http://www.multichannel.com/article/...?desc=topstory

(Please follow the link for the complete article.)

Cable May Face Hot Summer After WGA Strike Resolution

Upon Production Resumption, Broadcast Networks Could Extend Series Past May Sweeps

By Linda Moss -- Multichannel News, 2/8/2008 11:01:00 AM

If the writers’strike is settled next week, cable TV’s newest crop of original scripted shows could still be ready to debut this summer.

But the medium may not have completely dodged the bullet.

Cable’s shows could face atypical summer competition -- from new broadcast TV episodes. Once production of broadcast shows resume, the airing of new installments could spill past May, depending on how they are rescheduled.

**snippage**

Sci Fi Channel later this month will start production on the fifth season of Stargate Atlantis. Since it is shot in Canada, it was never affected by the WGA strike.

**snippage**

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

SGA - Breakfast With Friends Blog: Not What The Doctor Ordered:

From the Breakfast With Friends blog:

http://breakfastwithfriends.blogspot...r-ordered.html

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Not What The Doctor Ordered

Whose idea was this?

http://gateworld.net/news/2008/02/ro...lantisi_.shtml

I’ll admit, I’m a Stargate fan. I don’t talk about it much, because it’s a bit of a social stigma, even among Science Fiction fans. Stargate does not get the respect which Star Trek, Star Wars, and Battlestar Galactica do (and neither does it really deserve it).

**snippage**

But for a show that constantly jumps the shark and sells out for gimmick value, this Woolsey thing is almost too real. First of all, why would you ever get rid of Weir? She was an awesome character! Carter sure didn’t pull the ratings up when she took charge of the Atlantis expedition, and now she leaving too. The expedition leaders are just getting more and more ridiculous. I mean, Woolsey? Picardo’s a great actor, Voyager showed us that, but Woolsey is not exactly cut out for a leadership role.

On the bright side, it should make for some good plots, what with the expedition being led by a complete dumbass. I mean, who knows what kind of dumb **** Woolsey will get Atlantis into? He’ll probably try to make peace with the Wraith or some crap like that.

**snippage**

So who knows, maybe it’ll be good. Don’t knock it ‘til you’ve rocked it. But c’mon, Picardo’s no Picard.

-OSK

Tally-ho…

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by pjt View Post
                          Having twenty episodes about the Wraith is boring. Having more than one season only about the wraith is boring no end. The Asurans were a great twist, and brought an explanation to the evolution of the Milky Way replicators. I know some people hate the Asurans, particularly for the disposing of Weir by making her one of them. Nevertheless some people, including myself, think this was a twist for the better, an of course, some think it was the end of SGA.

I don't think that the producers or the writers will ever seek inspiration from fansite reviews, more so from fansite rants.
                          Eh, I think the Asurans are boring. T hey're like accountants. Alas, they're just SG1 villains imported to SGA. And as for fansite reviews, have no idea if producers read them (why would you think they do?) and rants? Well, think GW has the most rants per any fan site

Comment

SGA - Fresno Bee: IN BRIEF - Take Five:

From the Fresno Bee (Fresno, CA):

http://www.fresnobee.com/262/story/393064.html

(Please follow the link for the complete column.)

IN BRIEF

02/12/08 16:35:43

**snippage**

Take five: The Sci Fi Channel's "Stargate Atlantis" will begin production later this month on its fifth original season. The new 20-episode season will include the series' 100th episode.

Robert Picardo, whom "Stargate" fans will recognize as International Oversight Committee rep Richard Woolsey, joins the "Stargate Atlantis" cast this season as Woolsey assumes command of the Atlantis expedition.

Paul McGillion will return for five episodes to reprise his role as Dr. Carson Beckett. Amanda Tapping (Colonel Samantha Carter), who remains a fixture of the "Stargate" universe, will appear as a special guest star in several episodes this season and "Stargate SG-1" star Michael Shanks (Dr. Daniel Jackson) will appear as a special guest as well.

**snippage**

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by morjana View Post
                              SGA - Breakfast With Friends Blog: Not What The Doctor Ordered:

From the Breakfast With Friends blog:

http://breakfastwithfriends.blogspot...r-ordered.html

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Not What The Doctor Ordered

Whose idea was this?

http://gateworld.net/news/2008/02/ro...lantisi_.shtml

I’ll admit, I’m a Stargate fan. I don’t talk about it much, because it’s a bit of a social stigma, even among Science Fiction fans. Stargate does not get the respect which Star Trek, Star Wars, and Battlestar Galactica do (and neither does it really deserve it).

**snippage**

But for a show that constantly jumps the shark and sells out for gimmick value, this Woolsey thing is almost too real. First of all, why would you ever get rid of Weir? She was an awesome character! Carter sure didn’t pull the ratings up when she took charge of the Atlantis expedition, and now she leaving too. The expedition leaders are just getting more and more ridiculous. I mean, Woolsey? Picardo’s a great actor, Voyager showed us that, but Woolsey is not exactly cut out for a leadership role.

On the bright side, it should make for some good plots, what with the expedition being led by a complete dumbass. I mean, who knows what kind of dumb **** Woolsey will get Atlantis into? He’ll probably try to make peace with the Wraith or some crap like that.

**snippage**

So who knows, maybe it’ll be good. Don’t knock it ‘til you’ve rocked it. But c’mon, Picardo’s no Picard.

-OSK

Tally-ho…
                              How does it constantly jump the shark? Doesn't jump the shark mean it's either reached its zenith or it does something that means you can't take the show seriously anymore? The reference being when Fonz jumped over a shark on Happy Days? Right? Isn't it something you can only do once? Like losing your virginity or blowing your own brains out. I know, I know it's slang more or less, so there are no hard or fast rules.

I don't know who this guy's friends are but I've got plenty of friends who like sci fi and some who don't like Stargate, but none of them look down on it or me. Maybe he needs some new friends.

Make peace with the Wraith? As I recall Weir wanted to do that at the beginning of the series.

Vith dos wael

Comment

Working...
                              X