Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I disagree. Woolsey has most definitely shown that he is capable of good. You shouldn't brush off that comment from Inauguration because it's "not goo enough", as that was the first time that we saw that there is some good in him. In his later appearances, he has slowly become a lot more mellow compared to the guy we saw in Heroes Part 2, like in The Scourge, when he stood up for Sam. I think, with his character under greater focus, there will continue that development.

And really, just because you don't like the decision, it doesn't mean everyone won't (I'd say it's a pretty even split at this point), which in turn doesn't mean the show's ratings will plummet.

Comment

Originally posted by StorytellerSJK View Post
      While I agree that Wier and Beckett were important characters and their removal greatly affected the show, I would not agree they were part of the team. General Hammond and Janet were very important characters on Sg-1 who appeared in many of the episodes but I doubt any one would consider them members of SG-1. The core, from an emotional and a plot point of view, of both shows has always been the main Stargate team.
      I disagree very strongly with this. Yes, the core of SG-1 was the Stargate team, and Hammond and Janet were supporting. But Atlantis was a totally different show. Just as one example, if the gateteam were the core of Atlantis, Rachel Luttrell, whose character is a team member, would have been co-starring on Atlantis instead of Torri Higginson, whose character was the leader. The show from the beginning made an effort to create a more ensemble tone than its predecessor. The show tended to revolve around a central triad of Sheppard, Weir, and McKay, sometimes including Beckett in that mix, rather than around the team four as SG-1 did. In fact it did so so much that two members of the gate team, Teyla and Ronon, were rarely ever focused on (admittedly a big weakness).

There has been an effort to restructure the show to focus on the gateteam in Atlantis, only partially successful IMO in S4. Possibly S5 will have more success to that end. But it is definitely a restructuring - it's not how the show was set up.

Regardless the team dynamic and strong sense of family/friendship between the Atlantisic Four remains stronger than ever.
      I'm not sure I agree, but I do agree that they're close. However, I also think that they were just as close with Elizabeth and Carson. Rodney called Carson his best friend, and both John and Rodney had a very close bond with Elizabeth, just as close as that with their team IMO. In fact, Rodney in particular I believe has lost a lot - I don't think he's very close at all with anyone on his team besides John.

Also if anything I expect Woolsey will only cause them to grow more unified and closer as a team.
      I do hope so - we shall see.
      - Life after Stargate -
      Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
      Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
        I disagree. Woolsey has most definitely shown that he is capable of good. You shouldn't brush off that comment from Inauguration because it's "not goo enough", as that was the first time that we saw that there is some good in him. In his later appearances, he has slowly become a lot more mellow compared to the guy we saw in Heroes Part 2, like in The Scourge, when he stood up for Sam. I think, with his character under greater focus, there will continue that development.

And really, just because you don't like the decision, it doesn't mean everyone won't (I'd say it's a pretty even split at this point), which in turn doesn't mean the show's ratings will plummet.
        Curiosity killed the cat. Of course most people will still watch the show, as I likely will. If only because I'll wanna see how much they will have to change the Woolsey character in order to make him work. A coward as leader of something important never managed to do a good job. So the PTB will have to change that and suddenly give him some guts and courage.

In The Scourge, he was about to get eaten alive by carnivorous bugs. OF COURSE he stood up for Sam, SG-1 saved their lives! When in Heroes, all he wanted was to jail/court martial/fire em all and put the blame for Janet's death on them, when all they tried was to save the lives of their comrades.

Wow, what an amazing person!

Comment

No no no. Why must he be the stereotypical leader that the last few has been on Stargate? The whole point of him coming is that he WON'T be a good leader, and the reason that he's chosen is not as normal as the others, i.e. maybe he's just a puppet of the IOA.

It shifts the status quo. As I said in the other thread, I am REALLY tired of the heroic, skillful leader who is friends with the team. I want something different, something that will allow this leader person to act different than every other leader we've had.

Comment

[QUOTE=Demerzel;7685060]

My point is, the Replicators have been done to death. I don't think the majority of people are interested in replicator storylines anymore.

"Finally, something different."

Okay, I respect your opinion. But there is positive different, and negative different. Then, there is "dumb as ****" different. Woolsey is part of the latter. No matter how great Picardo is as an actor, that character sucks. He was good as a secondary character. But as base commander, it's plain stupid. Might as well bring back what's his face...General Bauer, the guy who wanted to send Naquada nukes everywhere? That would have been a better choice.

YAY!~ Let's have a cowardly politician at the head of Atlantis, when in the last years of the show, he hasn't taken a SINGLE good decision. Honestly, I have more interest in the future season of House M.D. than in Atlantis. At least House freakin' rocks and is a cool character that won't annoy the hell outta me and make me hate the show I used to love so much.
            Yes no more replicators! Wait a minute are you telling me that you can't stand Woolsey but Dr. House doesn't bother you? When McKay was introduced he was the 'often wrong' annoying guy, then he grew into a respectable character. Remember in 48 hours how he almost got Teal'c killed? Remember how he messed up in Redemption?

Woolsey is not a coward, an annoying pencil push yes (and an overbearing busy body). But not a coward, he had the chance to leave Atlantis when he knew it could get destroyed by the Wraith hive and he stayed. He knew Kinsey could've had him killed for going against him but he chose to do the right thing anyway. Nobody on the show admitted it, but if it wasn't for Woolsey insisting that they keep Khalek alive they never would have come up with that anti-prior weapon.

There's something else, it's nothing you've said (or anyone else really) but there's 'The return pt 2'. In it they made it look like Woolsey was weak willed because the replicator was able to read his mind. Whenever we've seen replicators read people's mind no one was ever able to resist. The only exception would be Dr. Weir when she was part replicator. The first time O'Neill got the hand in the head the replicator immediately knew his iris code. Honestly, anything with a processing speed that fast would overwhelm any human defenses with just a brute force attack. I don't know why the writers used that part of 'the return' to make O'Neill look more cavalier or make Woolsey the comic relief. Either way it was a plot hole and they ended up shooting their future selves in the foot. I.e. they damaged Woolsey's credibility as a potential leader.

By the way I'd still prefer Caldwell.

Comment

Originally posted by morjana View Post
              SGA - Various Sources - Season 5 News Articles:

Please follow the links for the complete articles.

From CHUD:

http://dev.chud.com/articles/article...TIS/Page1.html

THUD DISBELIEF BREAK: WHO DID THEY HAVE TO BLOW TO GET FIVE SEASONS OF STARGATE ATLANTIS?

Spoiler:
              By Devin Faraci Published Yesterday THUD

Battlestar Galactica, the brilliant reimagining of the cheesy old TV show, has fought tooth and nail to get to where it is, a fourth season where all of the stories can be wrapped up - and even still, we're hoping that the soon to be ending writer's strike hasn't royally ****ed that up. This show is amazing - not just for a science fiction show, but as a television show, period. And yet Battlestar, which has terrific, smart scripts and excellent actors, struggles to stay alive while Stargate Atlantis saunters into its fifth season.

Seriously, what's wrong with the world of genre television?

I know, judging by the numbers, that there are people reading this who watch Stargate and not Battlestar, and I hate them. It's one thing to be so caught up in a genre that you support every offering in it, but it's another to watch poorly made garbage like Stargate and its spinoffs while ignoring a ballsy, often incredible TV show. Hell, it looks like Stargate Atlantis may well last more episodes than Angel, another genre show that was about a thousand times better than this tripe.

**snippage**

<><><><>

From IF Magazine:

http://www.ifmagazine.com/new.asp?article=5695

Television:

'STARGATE ATLANTIS' RETURNS FOR FIFTH SEASON

The Atlantis expedition will reach its 100th episode

By JAY FRASCO, Contributing Editor
              Published 2/6/2008

THE SKINNY: STARGATE ATLANTIS will go into production later this month in Vancouver on its fifth season, reported Sci Fi Wire.

**snippage**

<><><><>

From Eclipse Magazine:

http://eclipsemagazine.com/2008/02/0...0-in-season-5/

Stargate Atlantis Welcomes Robert Picardo and Episode 100 in Season 5!

Posted by: Sheldon A. Wiebe in Television

Stargate Atlantis is getting a new commander for its fifth season –which also includes the series’ 100th episode – when it begins production in Vancouver, B.C., Canada later this month.

When Season Five of Stargate Atlantis goes into production later this month, the Atlantis expedition will have a new commander – Robert Picardo! Picardo takes over from Amanda Tapping, who drops from series regular to recurring as Tapping fronts the team on SCI FI’s upcoming adaptation of the online series, Sanctuary.

**snippage**

<><><><>

From Trek Today:

http://www.trektoday.com/news/050208_04.shtml

NEWS BULLETS

February 5, 2008 - 10:22 PM

**snippage**

Robert Picardo will be joining the cast of Stargate: Atlantis as the new head of the Atlantis expedition according to SyFy Portal. His character will be replacing Samantha Carter, played by Amanda Tapping who replaced Elizabeth Weir, who was played by Torri Higginson. Picardo will be reprising his role of Richard Woolsey, who was a civilian representative of the International Oversight Committee in Stargate SG-1.

<><><><>

From Movie Web:

http://www.movieweb.com/tv/news/16/26316.php

Stargate: Atlantis is set to warp back to production. According to NBC, production on the fifth season of Stargate: Atlantis will commence later this month.

This new season will see Robert Picardo's Richard Woolsley as a full-time cast member and the new leader of the Stargate: Atlantis team. He was previously seen on five episodes of the show as that character, when he was an International Oversight Committee representative.

**snippage**

<><><><>

From iO9:

http://io9.com/353133/first-look-at-...-indiana-jones

**snippage**

In season five of Stargate: Atlantis, the officious bureaucrat Woolsey (Robert Picardo from Voyager) takes over command of the expedition from Amanda Tapping's Samantha Carter. Tapping will still be a recurring character, but won't be in every episode because she's off starring in Sanctuary. Also appearing in some episodes: Tapping's SG-1 co-star Michael Shanks, and the back-from-the-dead Paul McGillion.

<><><><>

From Monsters & Critics:

http://smallscreen.monstersandcritic...eckett_returns

Smallscreen News

“Stargate: Atlantis” season five gears up, Dr. Carson Beckett returns

Sci Fi Channel said production will begin later this month on the fifth season of its original series “Stargate Atlantis.”

**snippage**

Joing the cast will be Robert Picardo who will taking command of the Atlantis expedition. Everyone's favorite Scottish doctor Dr. Carson Beckett (Paul McGillion) will return for five episodes.

<><><><>

From Trek Web:

http://trekweb.com/articles/2008/02/...Atlantis.shtml

Robert Picardo Joins the Cast of Stargate Atlantis

By GustavoLeao

According to TV Guide, former Star Trek Voyager actor Robert Picardo will join the cast of the hit sci-fi TV Series Stargate Atlantis as as the officious (and heretofore recurring) bureaucrat Richard Woolsey, who assumes command of the expedition from Amanda Tapping's Samantha Carter.

**snippage**

<><><><>

From Starpulse:

http://www.starpulse.com/news/index....roduction_on_5

'Stargate Atlantis' To Begin Production On Season 5

SCI FI Channel's Stargate Atlantis will begin production later this month on its fifth original season. The new 20-episode season will include the series' benchmark 100th episode. Produced and distributed by MGM Television, "Stargate Atlantis" is filmed in Vancouver, Canada.

**snippage**

Robert Picardo, whom Stargate fans will recognize as International Oversight Committee rep "Richard Woolsey," joins the Stargate Atlantis cast this season as Woolsey assumes command of the Atlantis expedition. The team, led by Lt. Colonel Sheppard (Joe Flanigan), Dr. Rodney McKay (David Hewlett), Teyla (Rachel Luttrell), Ronon (Jason Momoa) and Dr. Jennifer Keller (Jewel Staite), must adjust to his unique leadership style.

**snippage**

While I don't agree with what (s)he said and they way (s)he said it I can understand what (s)he is trying to say, why has Atlantis been allowed to continue when much better series have been yanked
              Originally posted by Tal-Galahad View Post
              Honestly...I can`t understand people saying they switch to other TV-Shows because of castdecisions. Do you ever watch TV apart of the Stargate-franchise? Some of the best TV-Shows see castchanges, the killing of characters every single season.

Just take a look at Heroes, Dexter, Boston Legal, The 4400, The Shield. Every single show awesome in her own way.
              Some people are taking this stuff far too serious.
              I agree casting changes had no influence on my decision to stop watching series four it was purely the bad scrips and poor writing. There wasn't the fandom meltdown when Chris Ecclestone decided to leave Dr Who, there was a lot of "Oh Damn he was good" but none of the "OMG!!! WHY WHY WHY I'M NEVER GOING TO WATCH THIS AGAIN" that we saw when it was announced that Carson was going to be killed off or Elizabeth was going to be replaced by Sam Carter, if that had happened then people would have missed the excellent David Tennant and how much depth he bought to the character. When Billie Piper left DW there were people who instantly disliked Freema Agyman's appointment because she wasn't Rose and people who instantly disliked Catherine Tate's appointment because she wasn't Martha but hey we got over it and no-one that I know of is still campaigning to have Chris Ecclestone or Billie Piper bought back 2 years later, get over it folks, not all casting change is bad

Comment

Originally posted by Shipperahoy View Post
                Wow. Honestly, I'm going to wait and see how they play it but my gut reaction is "Woolsey?!!!!".

Though the character has made some great strides towards becoming an actual human being over the last few seasons and though I do quite like Bob Picardo as an actor, Woolsey isn't a character that I particularly enjoy. He's funny in the occasional one-off episode as the guy who cowers in times of danger and provides the wrong solutions to situations for the team to subsequently shoot down but as leader of Atlantis?

Sure, the situation is rife with the possibility for comedic conflict and to see Woolsey strugging to adjust but I don't know if that's something that I particularly want to see. Still, perhaps I'm jumping the gun and they'll actually make him a credible leader and not just a joke of a figurehead. Perhaps being put in to a position of such immense responsibility, put in to the field as it were, will give him the kind of insight that will allow him to loosen up and remove the bureaucratic stick from up him bum.
                What she said! Flipping hell TPTB must have been smoking something strange here!
                I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Originally posted by Reefgirl View Post
                  While I don't agree with what (s)he said and they way (s)he said it I can understand what (s)he is trying to say, why has Atlantis been allowed to continue when much better series have been yanked
                  Everyone has different tastes. Personally, I don't understand why everyone thinks BSG is so wonderful. I dropped the show midway through the second season and never had the desire to go back, especially after hearing about plot developments in the third season. But each to their own.
                  - Life after Stargate -
                  Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
                  Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Killdeer View Post
                    Everyone has different tastes. Personally, I don't understand why everyone thinks BSG is so wonderful. I dropped the show midway through the second season and never had the desire to go back, especially after hearing about plot developments in the third season. But each to their own.
                    I tried and failed to get into BSG (My OH is a BIG fan) this one and the original so it's doesn't really bother me, I can't believe that 4400 got yanked that was one of the best shows around.

Comment

I tried and failed to get into BSG (My OH is a BIG fan) this one and the original so it's doesn't really bother me, I can't believe that 4400 got yanked that was one of the best shows around.
                      I never really made an effort to watch the 4400, kind of wish I had though. My dad watched it when it first started, so it's not like I didn't have the chance...

Comment

Haven't seen that either, but I know what you're saying. My point was just that your (generic your) best show ever might be something that someone else wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole, and vice versa. So saying that other shows are more deserving than SGA is all just a matter of perspective.
                        - Life after Stargate -
                        sigpic

Comment

It shifts the status quo. As I said in the other thread, I am REALLY tired of the heroic, skillful leader who is friends with the team. I want something different, something that will allow this leader person to act different than every other leader we've had.
                          We had a good leader in Weir. She didn't always agree with Sheppard ("hot Zone"). Carter, however, was so nice it was boring at times (I mean, how can you get conflict with someone who's always nice, unless they've got a really nasty side, but Carter doesn't)

Originally posted by Demerzel View Post
                          What did you think of Rodney when he appeared in SG1? Be honest.
                          I LOVED him! Yes, you could probably go back and find my posts about that if you have nothing else to do Of course, I liked David Hewlett from KF:TLC and was "Nickie!" when I saw Rodney.

Originally posted by SGFerrit View Post
                          I don't care if you're pro, anti or whatever, that is a VERY rude, ignorant insulting article, to us fans, the actors, TPTB... I hope none of the actors or PTB read that tripe.
                          Then they probably shouldn't read this board, considering fans here ,and elsewhere are just as rude, if not more so, than that article.

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                            Then they probably shouldn't read this board, considering fans here ,and elsewhere are just as rude, if not more so, than that article.
                            Well I have never personally said I hate the people I disagree with here. I have argued. I have been rude at times. But I do regret it afterwards, and I would never call them all nerds or something like that.

And hey, at least I have actually spoken to the people I disagree with here, and we can give as good as we get. He just made a sweeping generalisation over the millions of people across the world who like Stargate, knowing fine well that we will read it and have no way of replying.

I don't know, it just annoyed me. Maybe I should go to bed...

Comment

Originally posted by Demerzel View Post
                              Don't really care, sorry. I guess we'll know soon enough, the DVD is coming out in less than a month. When you see there is no difference, we'll discuss it again. I'm pretty sure you'll think that in the end, the special effects were as lame as I said they were.
                              But the special effect aren't finished! Cam'on, it's obvious. Have you watch the movie carefully? I don't think so.
                              sigpic
                              Sig made by slizzie1986

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                                I do much more reading of posts than writing them. That said, people on this forum can be very critical of the people who make the show, but I've never seen them insult fans of another show like that idiot did. Especially on that level of harshness and immaturity. That's one of the reasons I'm still on this message board, people are much nicer here than places like IMDB.

Comment

Working...
                                X