• Show
Clear All

SGA - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: TV Q & A - Torri Higginson

From the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (Pittsburgh, PAA):

http://post-gazette.com/pg/07124/783215-238.stm

TV Q&A with Rob Owen
    Friday, May 04, 2007

Submit your question to Rob Owen

This week's TV Q&A responds to questions about "Stargate Atlantis," in-the-dark TV shows and weather coverage.

As always, thanks for reading, and keep those questions coming.

(Please follow the link for the complete column.)

Q: Why is Torri Higginson being replaced on SciFi Channel's "Stargate:Atlantis" by Amanda Tapping? Higginson shouldn't lose her job just because Tapping's show, "Stargate SG-1," has been canceled.
    -- Erik, Butler

Rob: Here's what "Stargate Atlantis" executive producer Joe Mallozzi offered as a response:

"The decision to bring the character of Samantha Carter (Tapping) onto the show was made independent of any decision made with regard to the Elizabeth Weir (Higginson) character. The truth is that once the decision had been made (re: Weir), there were a number of options open to us in terms of a replacement (three specific candidates come to mind). In the end, and after much discussion, we elected to go with Sam Carter."

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

Well, we already heard this "explanation" many times. But we haven't heard why they made the decision regarding Weir. Paul McGillion told us their reason for Carson, not a very valid one really. But we heard nothing about Weir. I somehow don't believe they're protecting Torri with this, have they even told her? Is it connected to their writing maybe? They could easily say that the decision was made because they wanted to lead the show into another direction but we haven't heard that. Also it has been said that they don't put much stock in focus groups, so that can't be it either, Elizabeth is popular, she beat Teyla in the official Stargate magazine reader's poll for one thing. What is it then? The same reason as for getting rid of Carson? Maybe so because if it's that silly, it isn't worth making a statement out of it, like they haven't done for Carson. Seems like they don't have anything to say that would make the decision justified enough for the fans.

Why can other shows offer (valid) reasons for characters getting killed, an example is what's happening on CSI, the actress demanded a huge raise so they decided to kill off her character, they had no trouble of giving this info to the press. They usually don't if it's the actor's fault. I'm sure Torri hasn't done anything of the sort btw.

Thanks for posting this!
    Torri Higginson: "Elizabeth had a mad crush on Sheppard."
    at Halfway Con - Sparktastic weekend with Joe and Torri, on October 30, 2011

R.I.P. Stargate Atlantis (S1-S3)

Comment

I think expecting anything past teh same old sentences rehashed over and over again is unrealistic. As fans, we'll never find out why unless someone writes a 'tell all' book or spills something accidentally at a con. Killing Carson was simply a stupid decision. Killing characters to boost ratings never works.

From everything said in the press, the decision was NOT Torri's. It was TPTB (be it the producers, Skiffy, or a combination thereof).

Originally posted by Celcool View Post
      Well, we already heard this "explanation" many times. But we haven't heard why they made the decision regarding Weir. Paul McGillion told us their reason for Carson, not a very valid one really. But we heard nothing about Weir. I somehow don't believe they're protecting Torri with this, have they even told her? Is it connected to their writing maybe? They could easily say that the decision was made because they wanted to lead the show into another direction but we haven't heard that. Also it has been said that they don't put much stock in focus groups, so that can't be it either, Elizabeth is popular, she beat Teyla in the official Stargate magazine reader's poll for one thing. What is it then? The same reason as for getting rid of Carson? Maybe so because if it's that silly, it isn't worth making a statement out of it, like they haven't done for Carson. Seems like they don't have anything to say that would make the decision justified enough for the fans.

Why can other shows offer (valid) reasons for characters getting killed, an example is what's happening on CSI, the actress demanded a huge raise so they decided to kill off her character, they had no trouble of giving this info to the press. They usually don't if it's the actor's fault. I'm sure Torri hasn't done anything of the sort btw.

Thanks for posting this!

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
        From everything said in the press, the decision was NOT Torri's. It was TPTB (be it the producers, Skiffy, or a combination thereof).
        I wouldn't doubt it for one second if Sci-Fi had a say in this. Afterall, they like to have their hands in things. For good or bad.
        sigpic
        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
        "...phu...ah..."
        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I'm starting to think that they're doing it for dramatic effect.

Even though my opinion is apparently not valid because I like both Torri and Amanda equally, I'm happy she (Torri) will be returning at least. I'm just curious at how everything will work out. Hate me all you want for that and I see why everyone is so upset about Torri being tossed off, but I'm just going to sit and wait things out. (Or everyone can go show off their boxers infront of Bridge Studios again-- it worked for Carson. lol)

One thing's for sure, though: Killing off/pushing away title characters within the first 3 seasons is kind of.... overdone. Let's hope that after Season 4, no one gets killed off-- or at least for awhile.

Comment

Working...
          X