Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A couple of points that don't seem to have been considered in all of this...

1. Yes, we all love Beckett ... which means we're all hurting like hell that he's gone. Isn't the fact that we care about the character a sign that the writers *did* do their job? It was an effective departure because we didn't want it to happen.

2. Anyone considered any external factors in his departure? As Paul is (rather obviously) not a Canadian local, maybe there's been some restrictions on how long he's allowed to remain in Canada working. (Mind you, if that was really the problem then TPTB should've been able to sort that out, but its just an example).

All I'm saying is, consider the possibility that PM's departure might have been out of his hands, but it might also have been out of the production team's hands, too. Until someone in a position to know says otherwise, the writers and producers entirely do NOT deserve your wrath and scorn.

Farewell, and thanks for listening.

Comment

Yes, the writers did a good job, insofar as they got us to care about the character. But writing him out? That's like a cook preparing a really good meal, then throwing it down the garbage disposal instead of letting us eat it.

As for there being possible external reasons for Paul's departure that's out of TPTB's control, if there's such a reason and they haven't told us by now, I have to say that's a very idiotic thing to do. Each day that passes without TPTB disclosing that reason is another day for ill-will and resentment to build up among the fans against TPTB.
      Keep Carson. Keep Elizabeth.
      Keep Atlantis.

Lemming #14
      -Clueless Lemming Cretin-

Image by Cailliath

Comment

Originally posted by Discosis View Post
        A couple of points that don't seem to have been considered in all of this...

1. Yes, we all love Beckett ... which means we're all hurting like hell that he's gone. Isn't the fact that we care about the character a sign that the writers *did* do their job? It was an effective departure because we didn't want it to happen.

2. Anyone considered any external factors in his departure? As Paul is (rather obviously) not a Canadian local, maybe there's been some restrictions on how long he's allowed to remain in Canada working. (Mind you, if that was really the problem then TPTB should've been able to sort that out, but its just an example).

All I'm saying is, consider the possibility that PM's departure might have been out of his hands, but it might also have been out of the production team's hands, too. Until someone in a position to know says otherwise, the writers and producers entirely do NOT deserve your wrath and scorn.

Farewell, and thanks for listening.
        Although Paul was born in Scotland, his family emigrated to Canada when he was quite young. He has lived (I believe) in Canada most of his life and his work has generally been based there. His natural accent is Canadian not Scottish.

All the interviews I've read from Paul and his comments at recent cons (including one I attended) suggest he was very happy on Atlantis, and that if he had the choice, he wouldn't have left it.

As far as anyone can work out, this was not something forced on TPTB but something they choose to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Nel View Post
          Although Paul was born in Scotland, his family emigrated to Canada when he was quite young. He has lived (I believe) in Canada most of his life and his work has generally been based there. His natural accent is Canadian not Scottish.

All the interviews I've read from Paul and his comments at recent cons (including one I attended) suggest he was very happy on Atlantis, and that if he had the choice, he wouldn't have left it.

As far as anyone can work out, this was not something forced on TPTB but something they choose to do.
          Well they never were that smart when it came to knowing just who the popular characters really are.
          sigpic

Jack and Daniel...the old married couple.

Comment

Nel's right, though Paul was born in Scotland he was raised in Canada from the age of 2 (near Toronto) and is as Canadian as he is Scottish. Remember originally Paul was a guest star and Carson recurring. Paul got the role whilst living and working in Vancouver (and had been for the past 10-15 years) and was then promoted him to main cast because they liked him and his character was incredibly popular with the fans.

As for TPTB being on the receiving end of our wrath and scorn? When they refuse to comment over something so controversial (no matter the motivations behind it) then they bring it upon themselves. Even SCIFI are allowing letters onto their site about Beckett's 'killing off'. Which means they've acknolwedged the characters removal AND the compaign to bring him back:

http://www.scifi.com/sfw/letters/index.html

(3rd letter down...and yes I wrote it!)

Comment

Originally posted by furiousfurling View Post
              is his leaving apart of a new story arc from the writers?

have the run out of ideas for him?

or perhaps will he be apart of this new rumoured stargate spinoff to be created ad produced after sg1 finishes??

im wandering this because his character is incredibly likeable and would fit easily into a new series bringing a new dynamic, and again we know a little about his character so would bring in audiences

any thoughts please comment
              Just thought i would put my two cents in. personally i think paul is heading off to be a full time character on sanctuary. my reasoning is fair slim however the character of carson beckett was well loved by cast crew and fans there is no doubt about that as many people from each of the afore mentioned groups have openly said so. as such they would not kill him off for no reason and as for trying keep the reality of life in atlantis (which i have heard people talk about)i just don't buy it. but the most telling sign is that if you go to the new series "sanctuary's" website www.sanctuaryforall.com and left click on the page (not the flash display! the PAGE!!!) and go to veiw source. under the "keywords" meta descriptions you will find not only the names of confirmed participants such as amanda tapping, chris heyerdahl, david hewlitt, damien kindler & martin wood you will also find the names of a few other people most notably Paul McGillion.

well thanks for read.

Comment

This was culled from the Save Beckett thread over on the season 3 forum here (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=35833) . They killed his character for ratings, pure and simple.

Snippets from Paul McGillion interview in Starburst #347

Just as work on Phantoms was ending, McGillion received some news that would
                affect his future on Atlantis. "We shot most of this story on location, and
                when we got back to the studio for the final day of filming, of the ADs said
                that the producers wanted to talk to me," recalls the actor. "I didn't think
                anything of it. Truthfully, I thought they might be telling me, 'Great job in
                Phantoms'. However, when I went upstairs and they closed the office door, I knew
                it was serious. They said 'Stargate SG-1 isn't being renewed, and we're not
                sure yet if Atlantis is going to be either. We need to shake things up a bit, and
                the long and short of it is we're going to kill off Beckett.'

"Needless to say I was stunned, for lack of a better word. Iddin't see that
                coming at all. Personally, I felt like I was doing a good job on the programme
                and I think the producers thought so as well. I sat there and listened to the
                reasons behind this move and what they were looking to do. I was sad and
                dissappointed by their decision , but yet this is a business. I understand that and
                I respect these guys for giving me the chance to play a character like Carson
                Beckett. I'm not being political when I say that. I'm being honest. Most
                actors never get a dream job like that in their entire career, and I had it for
                three years.

"After they told me, I said 'I'm dissappointed and shocked, but obviously
                you're smart guys. The Stargate franchise has been around for a long time, so you
                know what you're doing. So how do we move on from here? How do you want me to
                handle this?' We would shoot Beckett's final episode [Sunday] out of
                sequence, and the producers asked me if I wanted to leave after that. I said that I
                wanted to finish my contract the way I went into it, with integrity. Not only
                that but I wanted to honour the character as well as the cast and crew that I
                had been working with all this time."
                Last edited by prion; 07 February 2007, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fidelis View Post
                  Just thought i would put my two cents in. personally i think paul is heading off to be a full time character on sanctuary. my reasoning is fair slim however the character of carson beckett was well loved by cast crew and fans there is no doubt about that as many people from each of the afore mentioned groups have openly said so. as such they would not kill him off for no reason and as for trying keep the reality of life in atlantis (which i have heard people talk about)i just don't buy it. but the most telling sign is that if you go to the new series "sanctuary's" website www.sanctuaryforall.com and left click on the page (not the flash display! the PAGE!!!) and go to veiw source. under the "keywords" meta descriptions you will find not only the names of confirmed participants such as amanda tapping, chris heyerdahl, david hewlitt, damien kindler & martin wood you will also find the names of a few other people most notably Paul McGillion.

well thanks for read.
                  I heard he was participating in Sanctuary, whether its a full role or guest, we'll just have to wait and see. But its just Paul's skills as an actor that got him a role after he was axed. As the interview snippets that were just posted prove, he didn't want to leave. I hope he does have a lead role on this new Sactuary venture, he is great at what he does and deserves it. Also, you can see that "atlantis and battlestar" are keywords as well. It also maybe a tool to pick up website hits when people Google certain tv shows, actors and recent events.

PS- I also still have my fingers crossed Skiffy picks up the Starcrossed pilot and Paul gets cast in that as well.

sigpic
                  www.savecarsonbeckett.com
                  Visit My Flickr!!

Comment

from the interview--it sounds like they pulled a Fraiser. When they axed Frasier they didn't expect get SG-1 renewed. The rating went up and the ep became one off the favorites.

I really think this one will back fire on the show. People still have forgotten Fraiser and the fact that Beckett was a loved doctor on the spin off series too will make it seem fishy.

They are "shaking things up" alright. Not for the better either. Too many changes and a dishonorable way for Carson Beckett to die. The actor wanted to fulfill his obigation and do it the right way. "Sunday" seemed like a waste of an episode and the replacement for Carson will not be accepted. They know that JS will have trouble because of the spin the series is putting on it. Having her do interviews before they even start filming! Hello--bad sign!

Can't help but feel like they have killed two shows in one short time--first SG-1 and now SGA.

Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by Discosis View Post

Paul is a Canadian citizen.

sigpic
                      www.savecarsonbeckett.com
                      Visit My Flickr!!

Comment

Maybe he chose to leave to be the star of david helwetts show that he is writing.
                        i just love to give and recieve GREENS

Comment

No...David made it quite clear at the UK screenings of A Dog's Breakfast that neither Paul or Rachel would have a prominent role in Starcrossed
                          sigpic
                          Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Originally posted by oragans View Post
                            Maybe he chose to leave to be the star of david helwetts show that he is writing.
                            Also a recent interview Paul gave in a UK magazine made it quite clear that he did not leave by choice. TPTB called him in and explained that they were going to kill his character off and said they wanted to "shake the show up" to help improve ratings.

Comment

Also a recent interview Paul gave in a UK magazine made it quite clear that he did not leave by choice. TPTB called him in and explained that they were going to kill his character off and said they wanted to "shake the show up" to help improve ratings.
                              Yup. This was NOT Paul's decision at all; nothing mroe than a ratings ploy devised by the producers.

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay View Post
                                No...David made it quite clear at the UK screenings of A Dog's Breakfast that neither Paul or Rachel would have a prominent role in Starcrossed
                                Well that sucks.
                                sigpic

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."
                                ~~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Working...
                                X