This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cowgoboom View Post
    I don't think the writers have run out of ideas. His character is very adaptable, and they could put him almost anywhere. (As long as they remember he's a doctor). Maybe they've moved him for that reason.

I agree. Also, he is an actor, so he could be acting disapointed just to cover some new and exciting plot twist.

All in all, though, this is just speculation/going of rumors.
    Actually, the fact that the character has been bumped off might be an indication that yes, the writers have run out of ideas. I think that's sort of apparent in the fact that they take an SG1 script and just rewrite it for SGA, or they do lord knows how many 'homages' on SG1 which are ripoffs of movies.

Yes, there are only so many stories, but it's time to bring in new blood on the writing staff with new ideas.

Comment

Don't forget, new blood = new salaries. According to the N John Smith interview at MGM's site, a few production staff had to be bumped off because of SG1's canning.

No doubt their budget is limited and hiring new writers every few months is not really possible.

Comment

I don't know...they lampooned themselves pretty hard in 200.

I doubt they'll care that much.

Comment

I think that any lampooning would be all in good fun. He seems to really like Stargate and those that make the decisions for it, even if they may not be the ones that he would make.

It would be great to have Paul cast as one of the leads, although I do not think that it will actually happen.
          Weir: He's just a boy!
          Jinto: I am Jinto.
          Sheppard: She's pleased to meet you.

I miss Jinto.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
            I don't know...they lampooned themselves pretty hard in 200.

I doubt they'll care that much.
            Yes, but that was harmless self-mocking. They could take anything Hewlett write's as an insult
            You go ahead, I'll be right behind you (In an F-302)
            And now for a completely unconnected series of random smilies:

Comment

Oooh, I think PM very well might lead Starcrossed. Maybe that's why
              Spoiler:
              They killed him off in "Sunday"
              May our transmatter beams cross again...

Proud Member of the Chevron Guy Club

"Out of that sea of stars came all the elements that make me what I am. "

Comment

No...Sunday was written long before DH even pitched the series to NBC/Universal

And Indum'kra - TPTB wrote out Beckett and McGillion. Hewlett's production's going to be produced somewhere else entirely, the only overlap being that John Lenic will be producing both SGA and Starcrossed. They don't legally have the right to get proprietary about McGillion, so if DH wants to cast Paul, and if Paul wants on the show, then it'll happen

And David's friends with the SGA PTB anyways
                sigpic
                Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

I'm sure the decision to
                  Spoiler:
                  write out Beckett
                  was made long before Starcrossed was greenlighted -- in fact, I'm pretty sure by the time the go was given on Starcrossed, "Sunday" had already been filmed.

In any case, if anyone can successfully walk the line between good-naturedly ribbing someone (in this case the Stargate TPTB) without crossing the line into hurtful, it's David Hewlett. So far, he's been a master of charm and diplomacy in managing his blog/forum. If he writes his show with the same spirit and wit he's displayed there, he should have no problems!
                  Keep Carson. Keep Elizabeth.
                  Keep Atlantis.

Lemming #14
                  -Clueless Lemming Cretin-

Image by Cailliath

Comment

Well, if Hewlett knew he wanted to do the series for a while (you don't get the idea to get into creating a whole TV show in one night) maybe he'd already given TPTB a head's up. But I see what you mean.
                    It would seem convenient though

Oh gosh! I can't wait for Starcrossed! *crosses her fingers and hopes that it doesn't get scrapped*

"It is a cruel existence that keeps us apart"

"May our transmatter beams cross again...my golden stranger."

Rachel Lutrell can guest or maybe even recur (if her SGA contract allows it) and play her own role That'd be so great!
                    May our transmatter beams cross again...

Proud Member of the Chevron Guy Club

"Out of that sea of stars came all the elements that make me what I am. "

Comment

I think the TV show pitch was sort of spur of the moment, cos DH pitched it during the SG1 200th episode party.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Indum'kra View Post
                        I think Hewlett's going to have to be careful how much he wants to Lampoon stargate to avoid the wrath of TPTB.
                        I agree
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay View Post
                          I think the TV show pitch was sort of spur of the moment, cos DH pitched it during the SG1 200th episode party.
                          No. He had John Lenic and Jean helping him pitch it -- so the three of them had to have discussed it beforehand. I'd guess the party was just a convenient place to corner scifi executives!
                          Keep Carson. Keep Elizabeth.
                          Keep Atlantis.

Lemming #14
                          -Clueless Lemming Cretin-

Image by Cailliath

Comment

RepliHawk - I disagree...one of TPTB is actively involved in A Dog's Breakfast, and will also be actively involved in Starcrossed
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                              Don't forget, new blood = new salaries. According to the N John Smith interview at MGM's site, a few production staff had to be bumped off because of SG1's canning.

No doubt their budget is limited and hiring new writers every few months is not really possible.
                              Well, then get rid of some of the old writers (cough cough) or cut back on their salaries....

Comment

Or they can fire some of the actors. Either way, people are going to leave.

Seriously though, they have gotten new writers; Gero, Binder, Culperus (who was only forced out, by his own admission, due to SG1's canning and having now too many writers), McCulluh are all "new" in the sense that they've been here for only a few years, sometimes less.

And when's the last time you saw a boss get fired just because they need new blood? It just doesn't happen.

Comment

Working...
                                X