X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ReganX
    Originally posted by DEM View Post
    If you are implying that the producers are having AT guest on SGA because they have to pay her anyway, I do believe you are mistaken. Someone (minigeek) correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly certain the only reason that producers have to pay AT for next season is because they exercised their option (i.e., they 'hired' her).
    Otherwise they'd have to pay CJ, BB, CB and Beau Bridges for a full season too.
    That's what I understand, yes.

Comment

I'm not privy to the details of the contract. However generally speaking, yes, they'd have to pay her (something), regardless of whether she appeared or not so long as she was on contract to the franchise. The option(s) they exercised would be part of that deal. A contract works both ways. It secures the actor to the product and it gaurantees the actor either a certain number of remunerated episodes, or one of any number of alternative options which can be exercised according to specific clauses.

It could well be that crossing over into Atlantis was specifically stated within her contract (on the off chance SG-1 was not renewed for season eleven). Sort of an "If SG-1 is not renewed, [The Producers] (yadda yadda yadda) have the option to move [her] over into Atlantis for an as-yet undetermined number of episodes not to entail fewer than (X), not to entail more than (Y).. blah blah blah and so on and so forth, gouge my eyes out with a spoon I hate legal documents..." Either way, there's most definitely a clause in there which also states how much she'd get remunerated if they wanted to end the contract early and have her walk as opposed to exercising one of any number of those aforementioned options they have available to them.

Completely hypothetically (and exceedingly simplistically) speaking, it might work a little bit like this.

A. Actor stays with the franchise per the terms of her contract and works - she gets remunerated.

B. The producers exercise the early termination clause of the actor's contract and she walks - she gets remunerated.

C. Actor breaks the contract via a mutual and amicable arrangement and then leaves on her own accord - see option B.

D. Actor breaks the contract arbitrarily and leaves amidst discord - she's sued for breach and ends up remunerating them.

(Likewise if they don't honor the terms of their actors' contracts for whatever reason, the actors can sue for breach as well).

The decision the producers make would be based on whether they feel it's more expedient to keep the actor with the franchise and make use of them, or whether it makes more sense to let the actor out of the contract amicably and pay out an early termination.

mg
      Last edited by minigeek; 29 November 2006, 08:01 PM.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
      ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Quote:
        Originally Posted by DEM
        If you are implying that the producers are having AT guest on SGA because they have to pay her anyway, I do believe you are mistaken. Someone (minigeek) correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly certain the only reason that producers have to pay AT for next season is because they exercised their option (i.e., they 'hired' her).
        Originally posted by ReganX View Post
        Otherwise they'd have to pay CJ, BB, CB and Beau Bridges for a full season too.
        Exactly.

I think this explained it. Mini(theindustryinsider)Geek please correct me if this is wrong. I'm remembering this from Babylon 5 Joe Straczynski explanations, which are at decade old.

http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....&postcount=283

Suse
        sigpic
        Mourning Sanctuary.
        Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
          Mini(theindustryinsider)Geek
          Yep, that's me! Geek the Insider. At any given time of the day, you can be assured that I'll be able to tell you exactly where all the stars are not!

Seriously. I am such a peon. I have to get in line to have lunch with my MOM.

mini(the peon)geek

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek View Post
            Yep, that's me! Geek the Insider. At any given time of the day, you can be assured that I'll be able to tell you exactly where all the stars are not!

Seriously. I am such a peon. I have to get in line to have lunch with my MOM.

mini(the peon)geek
            Well you are more of an insider than 98% of us. Thanks for the explanation.

Suse
            sigpic
            Mourning Sanctuary.
            Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post

"people in glass houses .............."

[/sarcasm]

How would Sam fit or enhance? Well as I said in a previous post - anyway the writer's choose to do so. Just because you lack the imagination to envision it, doesn't mean that it can't be done. Whilst I do believe it can be done, I am not overly confident in the abilities of TPTB at the moment.

I'm not sure where the logic in saying that an episode where a character appeared in a show can't be used for comparison on how the character would effect the show because the character was in the show and did effect the show regardless of your perception of the connotation of crossover, recurring and main cast. Other than in that instance it was a good use of the character and that really messes up your argument.
              it's not always about the writers. As its been said anyone can be MADE to fit.

Im talking about on the surface. How could she be used to enhance the show or fit in???? You say i havent imaginativley thought how, but you havent written in your opinion what she could add. I'd be interested to know what sam could offer Atlantis. What are your ideas on tht subject???

Something other than she could help the characters develop more, bbecause in my eyes I have seen get development this season

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan View Post
                Echoes is not a typical example. Most episodes very clearly have an outside influence in the form of a guest character. In this case, that guest character wasn't human...but it was still an outside influence.Again...pure speculation since we don't know what they intend for her to contribute or in what form.Again. Guest characters do not "take away screentime"...they contribute to the storyline as a whole.But again...you're assuming the role will be cut and dry. She'll be a scientist and therefore take away from McKay and Zelenka. She'll be a soldier and take away from Shep. She'll be a leader and take away from Weir or Shep or Caldwell. By assuming what she'd be doing, you've painted yourself into a box, not considering there are other options of things she could do or be involved in that are not what you expect.But AGAIN...those are assumptions. If she's not stuck with them in the Pegasus galaxy but is back on earth or on a ship, she might be tasked to do things that the others simply are not able to do due to logistics.I imagine she'll do more than stand there and look pretty...but beyond that, you're guess is as good as mine.I'm glad you think they're developing well...I've been painfully disappointed by TPTB's lack of interest in anyone not named John or Rodney.

But again...you're assuming that what she does is something the others can do...either physically or mentally. That it's a soldier's job that Shep could do or a scientist's job that McKay could do. This may not be the case, especially if they need her to do something on the Milky Way side of things that they cannot do there.Already covered my unhappiness at the PTB's apparent lack of interest here.But again...you are assuming she'll be physically in the Pegasus galaxy doing things. I'm not convinced of that. Even if she is, my feeling and hope is that she'd be used to help the team out with something they aren't able to do for whatever reason.And that's the point right? Sam is a part of the Stargate universe. She has already contributed to the team in many ways and is referenced often...but because she wasn't created specifically for SGA, there's this SGA purist attitude that permeates certain parts of this fandom that I find...well, interesting.
                It was a
                Spoiler:
                whale????
                It was a computer generated
                Spoiler:
                whale
                with no ten year history....of course thats not going to interfere with out cast or take away precious screentime, just like an unknown guest star etc

Also, I dont understand why (Not just you in this instance) keeps saying that its pure speculation, or we dont know anything as if we shouldnt discuss or have an opinion on this issue. Of course its all speculation but this is still a discussion thread and each and every persons worries are valid.
                Last edited by obsessed1; 30 November 2006, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by obsessed1 View Post
                  It was a whale???? It was a computer generated whale with no ten year history....of course thats not going to interfere with out cast or take away precious screentime, just like an unknown guest star etc
                  Ooo, I'm having flashbacks to Lord of the Rings...

Myyy precioussssss!

Ha.

Comment

Almost every story...if not every story...requires outside involvement from some character or characters to set certain events into motion. It just so happens that next year, one of the people in that role will be Carter. Some of the characters that will be used for this purpose will be those borne of SGA...it just so happens that Carter is not. So? Does this immediately mean that she'll be the star of the episodes she's in?
                    Have said this many times but... no-one is saying that she will be the star of the episodes she will be in. What people are saying is that the requirement to devote screen time and story arcs to her character will deny that screentime or story arc to other established SGA characters.

You've already decided she'd be given dialog or duties that would have been given to a regular cast member. And this assumption is based on...what, exactly?
                    On Sam's character and what we know of her abilities. She is a scientist and a solider - what other duties can she perform on Atlantis other than those of a scientist (already covered by McKay and team) or a solider (covered by Sheppard). Your argument that she may not be on Atlantis is not really a valid response to this question - this thread is discussing the possible implications of Carter's character being in the show and there's a good chance her being in the show would involve her being on Atlantis - therefore we are discussing what role she could play on Atlantis and how that would affect the current cast.. your argument that she might not be on Atlantis is equivalent to saying "Well, it might not happen so there's no point discussing it."

Imagine that she will be on Atlantis - in that situation, what dialog or duties do you see her performing that could not otherwise have been given to SGA characters?

You don't know...and neither do I...and neither does Amanda nor anyone other than the writers...what they have in store for the character and the show. You've already decided "she's not needed" based on a long stream of baseless assumptions...most of which I don't agree with at all.
                    But you equally seem to have already decided that she does - could - have something to offer Atlantis - based on an equally long list of assumptions (e.g. that she might not be based in the city itself) that are just as baseless.. and most of which I do not agree with. People are saying that, in their opinion, they don't think she is needed, based on what we know (after 10 years of exposure) of her character and her skills and abilities... how is that baseless assumption?

Perhaps Sam or one of the other new permanent or recurring characters will be allowed to focus some attention on the thoroughly ignored throng looming in the shadows of the two male leads.
                    On this point... I honestly fail to see how adding in an extra character - and one with such a long, well-known history as Sam - is in any way likely to focus more attention on under-developed members of the SGA cast.. Where I suppose that they might well write some episodes featuring SAm and e.g. Teyla or Weir which might develop those characters further, to do so would more than likely mean having to ignore other characters in order to devote screentime to SAm. I would far rather see TPTB use the current SGA characters to further develop those SGA characters needing some focus.

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                    So in bringing in SG1 fans, they may just increase their ratings and show us just how much Atlantis has improved, and that it is worth watching.
                    And in the process they may well alienate large members of SGA fans who already like Atlantis and don't think it needs changing in order to improve it and already think it's worth watching the way it is. In making the show more palatable to SG1 fans, more the kind of show that they want to watch, TPTB may very well lose the elements that SGA fans enjoy about the show.

Originally posted by prion View Post
                    While I do like Sam, I'd rather see a brand-new guest star come in, because, and I'm not being cruel - guest star characters can be (a) jerks, (b) idiots, (c) villains, (d) die. There is a lot of flexibility with guest stars that we can't get with Sam (or other SG1 characters).
                    That's a very good point. In many ways Sam's character, with her long backstory etc, is much more limited as a guest character than a fresh, new character could be.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alipeeps View Post
                      That's a very good point. In many ways Sam's character, with her long backstory etc, is much more limited as a guest character than a fresh, new character could be.
                      Well, Sam's involvement in the story would not preclude any other guest characters from appearing. There's no reason there couldn't be a host of new guest appearances by other actors simply because Amanda is also in the recurring cast.

Comment

Well, Sam's involvement in the story would not preclude any other guest characters from appearing. There's no reason there couldn't be a host of new guest appearances by other actors simply because Amanda is also in the recurring cast.
                        Thus negating the argument that, in appearing in the function of any other guest character, Carter's inclusion would not detract from the screentime/development etc available to the current SGA cast - if you've got Carter AND the usual guest character(s) to service in the episode then simple mathematics suggests there will be less screentime available to share amongst the current cast.
                        sigpic

Comment

Thus negating the argument that, in appearing in the function of any other guest character, Carter's inclusion would not detract from the screentime/development etc available to the current SGA cast - if you've got Carter AND the usual guest character(s) to service in the episode then simple mathematics suggests there will be less screentime available to share amongst the current cast.
                          Perhaps by a several seconds, maybe two or three minutes. I fail to see the calamity in that, however I'm not particularily covetous of counting screen-minutes for various actors/characters, I'm a lot more interested in how well the stories are told using all available resources.

Comment

Perhaps by a several seconds, maybe two or three minutes. I fail to see the calamity in that, however I'm not particularily covetous of counting screen-minutes for various actors/characters, I'm a lot more interested in how well the stories are told using all available resources.
                            It's not about counting screen-minutes - my concern as an SGA fan is that those seconds or minutes devoted to Sam could otherwise be spent on developing SGA characters. And that's what I want to see on SGA. Much as I still enjoy SG1, I'm not a huge fan the way I am of SGA and I can live without it and without Sam Carter. I'm just not really interested in seeing more of her on my TV screen - at least, not at the expense of the SGA characters who I really do enjoy. Within the context of her own show - SG1 - then sure, I'll watch her. But when I watch SGA I want to enjoy my SGA characters and not spend time - even just a few minutes of time - watching Sam.
                            sigpic

Comment

It's not about counting screen-minutes - my concern as an SGA fan is that those seconds or minutes devoted to Sam could otherwise be spent on developing SGA characters. And that's what I want to see on SGA. Much as I still enjoy SG1, I'm not a huge fan the way I am of SGA and I can live without it and without Sam Carter. I'm just not really interested in seeing more of her on my TV screen - at least, not at the expense of the SGA characters who I really do enjoy. Within the context of her own show - SG1 - then sure, I'll watch her. But when I watch SGA I want to enjoy my SGA characters and not spend time - even just a few minutes of time - watching Sam.
                              I really can't see the difference between watching Sam or watching any other recurring character perform alongside the other cast in a substantive role. All guest actors who further the storyline have a significant impact on an episode and do take up screen time. Carter could be Casper and she'd still end up with dialogue and action. Likewise, I cannot fathom the argument that Carter's inclusion would necessitate underdeveloping other characters while an as-yet-unknown actor/character's inclusion would have no impact on those same characters.

An episode where "guest character X (who may die at the end)" appears, versus an episode where Carter is the guest (and happens to live), would still be an episode where that guest role is occupied by a body who has lines and backstory and (if intelligently included) makes a difference to the telling of the narrative. Logically, there's absolutely nothing inherently negative about Carter specifically appearing which could not be attributed to anyone who was given a substantive role in an episode alongside the regular cast.

Some of the most memorable characters of all time are characters who didn't appear in every (or even most) scene(s) on screen. They're memorable because of their contributions, because of their understated complexity and/or because they create a catalyst for other characters to evolve through. There is no reason whatsoever that Sam Carter could not provide such a catalyst/contribution within the context of a recurring guest role on Atlantis.

In fact, the only clear reason I've read here thus far for such a vehement argument against Sam Carter's involvement has been certain individual and personal (dislikes?) for the character in general. And that as they say, is a "whole other story".

mg

Comment

In fact, the only clear reason I've read here thus far for such a vehement argument against Sam Carter's involvement has been certain individual and personal (dislikes?) for the character in general. And that as they say, is a "whole other story".

mg
                                No, don't think so. Pretty sure somewhere in this morass I mentioned that if you bring on a guest character, you can do what you want with them. Make them expendable (die horribly), nasty (a villain), while with Sam, she is bound by the constraints of her character as thus far written. Each SG1 character brought over a guest star means one less 'original' guest star on SGA.

Comment

Working...
                                X