Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SGA – New Zealand Herald Luttrell and Nykl - Armageddon Pulp Culture Expo in Auckland

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SGA – New Zealand Herald Luttrell and Nykl - Armageddon Pulp Culture Expo in Auckland

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/6/...ectid=10405545

Thursday's TV highlights

Thursday October 12, 2006

7.30PM, PRIME
    STARGATE ATLANTIS

With the Wraith menacing Atlantis at the beginning of series two, goodness knows how Teyla Emmagan (Rachel Luttrell) and Dr Zelenka (David Nykl) will get time off to press the flesh at the Armageddon Pulp Culture Expo in Auckland at Labour Weekend.

But they will be there despite the threat level becoming critical as Earth's new battlecruiser Daedalus arrives under the command of Colonel Caldwell and saves Major Sheppard from his suicide run on the Wraith ships.

McKay and his team must raise the city shields to protect Atlantis before the rest of the Wraith fleet arrive.

This spinoff from the successful Stargate franchise has been renewed for a fourth season in the United States, while its SG-1 stablemate has finally been canned after 10 seasons.

From the New Zealand Herald:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/category/s...ectid=10406528

(Please followo the link for the complete article.)

(There's a photo of Bra'tac at the site.)

ART & LITERATURE

Living in sci-fi land

Thursday October 19, 2006
    By Scott Kara

They are a devoted and obsessive bunch, these sci-fi, gaming and comics fans. They're also, it has to be said, quite odd. Just ask the stars who attend events like the Armageddon Pulp Expo.

Actor Tony Amendola, who plays Master Bra'Tac in Stargate SG-1, agrees the fans are "odd people, but wonderfully odd. They're peculiar but extremely bright and they know their stuff much better than the actors do."

He's had people come up to him and talk in Chulakian, the language his character speaks on Stargate SG-1. He's even had someone pass him a note saying they "went through the Stargate last night and if I wanted to talk more about it then to give them a call".

"I didn't give them a call because that was more than I wanted to know," he deadpans.

Then there are the ones who turn up in a replica of Master Bra'Tac's costume. "They've duplicated it so precisely, they've even cast weapons," he says in disbelief.

Despite these obsessive types, Amendola, who has also featured in films like The Mask of Zorror and TV series CSI: Miami, enjoys travelling the world and appearing at expos.

"It's a chance to meet the fans, so they're not this faceless group," he says. "I've done a lot of theatre which is an event that takes place in one room, and when you do film and television as I have for a long time you miss the contact.

"These things are social events, and these people are passionate about this genre which means they can fantasise and dress up. So I take it in my stride and just watch them and am constantly amazed," he says.

"I guess what I'm trying to say is if you look back to when you were foolishly passionate about something in your teens then it's that kind of thing - the feeling of getting eaten by something. I admire that."

**major snippage**

LOWDOWN

What: Armageddon Pulp Culture Expo

Where & when: Aotea Centre, Auckland, October 21-23

Tickets: One-day pass, adult $15, child (under 12) $10; one-day family pass (2 adults and 2 children) $42; three-day pass, adult $42; child $26. Available from Ticketek.

Things to see and do at Armageddon

Summer Glau: Glau, the big star of this year's event, is best known to fans as River Tam, a 17-year-old psychic genius in Serenity. Get your hands on a print of her by comic artist Arthur Suydam, which has been done exclusively for Armageddon. She will be doing signing sessions on Sunday and Monday in the celebrity signing area on level three.

Celebrity signing sessions: Other stars signing autographs include Mira Furlan (Lost, Babylon 5), Tony Amendola (Stargate SG-1), Clare Kramer (Buffy the Vampire Slayer), David Nykl (Stargate Atlantis) and Rachel Luttrell (Stargate Atlantis). You can also get a photo taken with them (see website for times). Celebrity signing area, level three, 10.30am-12.30pm and 2.30pm-5pm. Autographs cost $30 and photos $25.

PlayStation preview: The new PlayStation 3 isn't due for release until November but the PlayStation stand on level three gives eager punters the chance of a sneak preview. Apparently, "it's like diving into a big screen movie and experiencing the excitement first-hand, in real-time".Animation experts There's an animation panel discussion with voice actors Kevin Conroy (Batman), Jennifer Hale (PowerPuff Girls) and Darren Dunstan (Yu-Gi-Oh!, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles) on the main stage, 3pm, Sunday.

Plus: Among many other things there's a pizza-eating contest at 3pm Saturday; a pillow fight at 5pm Monday; and live wrestling on level one from Impact Pro Wrestling.

Copyright © 2006, APN Holdings NZ Ltd

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

The link to the Armageddon Pulp Expo website:

http://www.pulpexpo.com/

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Morjana

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/6/...ectid=10406528

excerpts:

Living in sci-fi land
      Thursday October 19, 2006
      By Scott Kara

They are a devoted and obsessive bunch, these sci-fi, gaming and comics fans.
      They're also, it has to be said, quite odd. Just ask the stars who attend
      events like the Armageddon Pulp Expo.
      Actor Tony Amendola, who plays Master Bra'Tac in Stargate SG-1, agrees the
      fans are "odd people, but wonderfully odd. They're peculiar but extremely bright
      and they know their stuff much better than the actors do."
      He's had people come up to him and talk in Chulakian, the language his
      character speaks on Stargate SG-1. He's even had someone pass him a note saying they
      "went through the Stargate last night and if I wanted to talk more about it
      then to give them a call".
      "I didn't give them a call because that was more than I wanted to know," he
      deadpans.
      Then there are the ones who turn up in a replica of Master Bra'Tac's costume.
      "They've duplicated it so precisely, they've even cast weapons," he says in
      disbelief.
      Despite these obsessive types, Amendola, who has also featured in films like
      The Mask of Zorror and TV series CSI: Miami, enjoys travelling the world and
      appearing at expos.
      "It's a chance to meet the fans, so they're not this faceless group," he
      says. "I've done a lot of theatre which is an event that takes place in one room,
      and when you do film and television as I have for a long time you miss the
      contact.
      "These things are social events, and these people are passionate about this
      genre which means they can fantasise and dress up. So I take it in my stride
      and just watch them and am constantly amazed," he says.
      "I guess what I'm trying to say is if you look back to when you were
      foolishly passionate about something in your teens then it's that kind of thing - the
      feeling of getting eaten by something. I admire that."

LOWDOWN
      What: Armageddon Pulp Culture Expo
      Where & when: Aotea Centre, Auckland, October 21-23
      Tickets: One-day pass, adult $15, child (under 12) $10; one-day family pass
      (2 adults and 2 children) $42; three-day pass, adult $42; child $26. Available
      from Ticketek.

Celebrity signing sessions: Other stars signing autographs include Mira
      Furlan (Lost, Babylon 5), Tony Amendola (Stargate SG-1), Clare Kramer (Buffy the
      Vampire Slayer), David Nykl (Stargate Atlantis) and Rachel Luttrell (Stargate
      Atlantis).
      You can also get a photo taken with them (see website for times).
      Celebrity signing area, level three, 10.30am-12.30pm and 2.30pm-5pm. Autographs
      cost $30 and photos $25.

*more at the link above*

Comment

So disappointed I can't go. *cries* At least I can watch Holmes though

Oh, the official Armageddon site is http://pulpexpo.com
        sigpic

"I don't know how you can call yourself a scientist and not worship at the altar of Roddenberry" - Coombs
        "The men cheered! The women fainted! The children waved multi-coloured flags!" - Amanda Tapping
        My Livejournal my Tweets and my Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by Spacegirlnz View Post
          So disappointed I can't go. *cries* At least I can watch Holmes though

Oh, the official Armageddon site is http://pulpexpo.com
          Yeah, it's a bit far to go for the weekend. sigh....

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
            Yeah, it's a bit far to go for the weekend. sigh....
            *headdesk* I'm watching the interview with these 2 right now... Holmes keeps interrupting them, and asking like stupid questions. I think he's only seen like 4 episodes. He called the wormhole a tunnel! *headdesk* The clips they're playing though, they're from Conversion and the last one we saw was The Intruder.
            sigpic

"I don't know how you can call yourself a scientist and not worship at the altar of Roddenberry" - Coombs
            "The men cheered! The women fainted! The children waved multi-coloured flags!" - Amanda Tapping

Comment

I know! What an idiot! I started yelling at the TV that he should shut the *bleep* up and let them TALK!

That and he spent entirely too long rambling on about the minutae of the show premise. And I really think he should have let THEM briefly explain their upbringings - I was interested in what David was saying about the Soviet occupation...

Things got better towards the end don't you think?

Comment

http://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/newsdeta...storyID=106048

excerpt:

Summer comes to Auckland

22/10/2006 7:04:02

Thousands of fans are in Auckland this Labour weekend to catch up with the stars of the silver screen and the small screen as well.

The Armageddon Pulp Expo mixes gaming, comics, science fiction, wrestling and meeting stars of TV shows like 'Buffy', 'Stargate' and 'Firefly'.

contains audio interview with Summer Glau of FIREFY.

Comment

*headdesk* I'm watching the interview with these 2 right now... Holmes keeps interrupting them, and asking like stupid questions. I think he's only seen like 4 episodes. He called the wormhole a tunnel! *headdesk* The clips they're playing though, they're from Conversion and the last one we saw was The Intruder.
                  Are these inteviews available online anywhere?

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                    Are these inteviews available online anywhere?
                    Not that I know of. If someone knows how to record a video to the computer, I could maybe do that... next week when they repeat it...

Kiwigater I completely agree with you. I guess he's a good interviewer but he kinda doesn't know when to stop talking. We should have done the interview cause I think he focus too much on things that any fan would already know. Like I would have asked about ADB. What David said was interesting too.

I think they should have been showing different clips... for those people who haven't seen season 2... But then I guess I think it's spoilery cause I know what it's from and stuff...

Thanks for the link prion
                    sigpic

Comment

If you can't upload it *I guess if it is video you need software and cards and cables for the computer* then any chance of a transcript?

Comment

It's not on again until next week anyway. So I'll tape it then, and do my best with a transcript, and during the week I'll investigate a way to rip it to my computer. I shall let you all know.
                        sigpic

Comment

Kiwigater I completely agree with you. I guess he's a good interviewer but he kinda doesn't know when to stop talking. We should have done the interview cause I think he focus too much on things that any fan would already know. Like I would have asked about ADB. What David said was interesting too.
                          No arguments here

Comment

No arguments from me either.

It is a shame that they did not show the footage that Prime TV taped of Rachel and David being greeted by fans when they went on stage.

I was hoping that they going to do that but did they did not.

Holmes is just such a sorry excuse for an interviewer.

Comment

Not that I know of. If someone knows how to record a video to the computer, I could maybe do that... next week when they repeat it...

I think they should have been showing different clips... for those people who haven't seen season 2... But then I guess I think it's spoilery cause I know what it's from and stuff...

Thanks for the link prion
                              You're welcome. Well, like you, I can't do that kind of stuff either. Nothing worse than interviewers who never let the guest talks, or worse, asks really stupid questions....

Comment

Working...
                              X