• Show
Clear All

finally hsave the book
    sigpic
    Many thanks to geekywraith for the wonderful sig

Comment

Originally posted by mckaychick
      finally hsave the book
      Me too!!! Got it a few days ago and finished it!! Good read!! Especially liked how
      Spoiler:
      You get to know what the characters are thinking. Also loved the Speppard/McKay banter!!! Ya gotta love that!! LOL

Comment

i got t today and im on chapter3
        sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:
          the Sheppard/McKay interaction in this book is top notch...any fans of this pairing (as friends...I didn't detect a hint of slash) should read this book!
          sigpic
          Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

the book is good so far
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard
              Oh man...

Spoiler:
              How can you manually dial a Peg gate?
              Spoiler:
              Given the references in the book, I can conclude that the gate on this planet is a type I, milky way style gate... (page 122, first 3 paragraphs)

Though I admit it bugged me at first...

~*Beanie*~ | No mountain too high, no gutter too low... | Ar scáth a chéile a mhairimid uilig...
              "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."

Comment

Nah, I think its ment to a Peg Gate. That was just buggered up continuity.
                sigpic
                Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard
                  Nah, I think its ment to a Peg Gate. That was just buggered up continuity.
                  It could go one of two ways here:

1. You are correct and the poor continuity is down to the author not knowing everything about the universe they are writing in.

Spoiler:
                  The book actually gives two points of reference to support the MW-type theory. One - McKay says, "But we don't need a DHD, we can dial that 'gate manually." Surely if it had been a standard PG-type gate, he'd have just said "the gate" and not specifically "that gate".
                  Two, Sheppard continuing that thought with the fact that he should have remembered that fact. Since they have never dialled a gate in this manner in the Pegasus Galaxy, the only place he could remember that fact from would be SG Mission Reports, which I believe is actually mentioned, specifically the experiments of the 1940s where Ernest Littlefield went through to Heliopolis.

I did have an antithesis here, but then realised that usless they had looped around, Teyla most likely wouldn't have seen the gate. And to be fair, the Athosians probably stuck pretty much to dialling places they knew were safe, considering that dialling any random address could result in people walking into the vacuum of space.

As it is, the book is pretty open-ended. It doesn't give much in the way of details either way, which pretty much leaves it open for your own interpretation of events, which I like. I think some people think it meandered a little too much, but to me, reading a book isn't just about the actual written words, it's about where those words can take you, and I think this definitely offered a fair bit of opportunity for reader hypothesis and use of your own imagination to fill the holes. Some books give too much information - part of the reader experience should be to put your own perspective on things...

~*Beanie*~ | No mountain too high, no gutter too low... | Ar scáth a chéile a mhairimid uilig...
                  "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."

Comment

Got the book (very fast delivery!) and today's the last day for 20% off but it 's still fast delivery... anyway....

Good book. To me, it read like well-edited, well-written fan fiction. Sometimes pro novels can leave me dry. They have no handle on the characters, but in this one, the Shep-McKay banter was very much like the series. "whump" fans will like it too

My cat liked it. Found him snobbering up the entire side of the book (thank god I put a slipcover on the cover). Ack, now I have to dry out the book!

Comment

Originally posted by prion
                      Good book. To me, it read like well-edited, well-written fan fiction. Sometimes pro novels can leave me dry. They have no handle on the characters, but in this one, the Shep-McKay banter was very much like the series. "whump" fans will like it too

My cat liked it. Found him snobbering up the entire side of the book (thank god I put a slipcover on the cover). Ack, now I have to dry out the book!
                      It was good, I enjoyed it muchly. Was definitely better than the 'Rising' novelisation.

I like the fact that the Fandemonium books read the way they do, because as you said, the people seem to have more feel for the characters. This definitely pandered to a certain section of fandom, though I have to say...
                      Spoiler:
                      it was rather 'Conversion' like in some respects...I thought the link with the studio was supposed to prevent that sort of stuff..?

As to well-edited...not so much. I noticed a fair few errors of basic grammar throughout the book, stuff that beta / proof should have picked up.

Comment

im half way through and am enjoying it.
                        sigpic

Comment

I loved it! Thought the characterisations were spot on, good plot too. The Sheppard/McKay banter and interaction was spot on, and the Shep whump was excellent. I preferred this to the novelisation of Rising by a long way. All in all a great read.
                          sigpic

Comment

great book i loved it!
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linzi
                              I loved it! Thought the characterisations were spot on, good plot too. The Sheppard/McKay banter and interaction was spot on, and the Shep whump was excellent. I preferred this to the novelisation of Rising by a long way. All in all a great read.
                              The Sheppard/McKay stuff was one of my favorite things about the book too!!!
                              I really liked it!!!

Comment

I'm ordering it and the other novels soon.
                                sigpic
                                Save a Man-of-War, ride a Commodore.

Comment

Working...
                                X