Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wraith Worshippers Anonymous - Introduction, Joining And Inactivity, Rules, OOC Chat

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm saying goodnight too because my back is starting to feel very painful again.
    sigpic

Comment

I'm off too my eyes are getting tired. Good night.

MCH
      sigpic
      Thanks to DS for my siggy

Comment

Attention everyone

During the course of the day I'll be altering the Guides Thread index so that everything links to the website. This will cut out the problem of me being the only one who can update anything because site collaborators can update webpages. It will also cut out having two sets of anything to update.

From Post 2765 in reply to my saying I'd moved the Character Guides to the website.

Originally posted by PleiadesAltariel
        maybe it'll give me a kick up the bum to update Craig and Gabriel's profiles too
        If anyone wants to update their characters' profiles, please write the entries out in full so all I have to do is delete the old and paste in the new.
        sigpic

Comment

I just remembered, Ciannwn, that you asked us to check the entries for the character guides and owner guides on the webiste. For game DS, Tommy and Rhys everything's correct.

It really saves a lot of problems - and work for you - if we only use the website for reference. I have it open in my browser anyway most of the times and it's only to be expected that our game world will grow further and it would be only a matter of time before the next guide posts hit the limitations.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco-Stellaris View Post
            I just remembered, Ciannwn, that you asked us to check the entries for the character guides and owner guides on the webiste. For game DS, Tommy and Rhys everything's correct.
            Thanks.

Could everyone else do the same for their characters, please.

It really saves a lot of problems - and work for you - if we only use the website for reference. I have it open in my browser anyway most of the times and it's only to be expected that our game world will grow further and it would be only a matter of time before the next guide posts hit the limitations.
            The Guide for the Planet thread must be getting near the GW character limit and there's going to be another location to add once Dray is back and the archaeological project gets fully underway. There's also going to be a museum on Boris's hive which could put that Guide over the character limit too.
            sigpic

Comment

Website News Announcement

Draco-Stellaris is now a co-owner of the website instead of just a collaborator. This means that she can do everything I can including inviting other people to be collaborators.

The above, along with moving all the game records and guides to the website only, means that I'm no longer the only person who is able to edit anything. I'm an old age pensioner who has already had one major heart attack and, for all I know, I could drop dead from another one at any time. If this happens the records can still be updated and added to if somebody's willing to take on the job.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
                Website News Announcement

Draco-Stellaris is now a co-owner of the website instead of just a collaborator. This means that she can do everything I can including inviting other people to be collaborators.

The above, along with moving all the game records and guides to the website only, means that I'm no longer the only person who is able to edit anything. I'm an old age pensioner who has already had one major heart attack and, for all I know, I could drop dead from another one at any time. If this happens the records can still be updated and added to if somebody's willing to take on the job.
                OMG, I hope not!

I can't do anything at work just now, Ciannwn, but I'll do the updates for newly adopted chars and TP's Hive for me and SW tonight. I'll do it in the same format so all you/DS should have to do is paste it in the appropriate place.

There's a short minific on the COH thread btw, but it's a one-shot, not part of the TP's Hive soap opera so no need to do anything with it - it's just part of the COH RP
                sigpic
                Thanks to Draco-Stellaris for the gorgeous Todd avatar

Comment

Further Update

I've now made backup copies of all the guides on google documents and given Draco-Stellaris access to them as collaborator. If something happens to me and the website disappears through unforeseen circumstances there's now the option for others to redo it.

I've still got actual updates to make but I've had enough for the moment.
                  sigpic

Comment

I'm afraid the editor in me just can't leave it alone...

The Q&W thing... using Wraith and Queen instead of wraith and queen.
                    Grammatically speaking wraith is correct in the same way that you would not capitalise the word human. As for queen, it would only be an initial cap if it were used as a name, for example: "TP is queen of her own hive" but "Here comes Queen TP".

However it would not be the first time that an adopted "house style" is technically incorrect. For example in our mag we use "no one" instead of "no-one" which irritates me constantly!

I will do my best to over-ride my grammatical training and give wraith and queen initial caps in my fics, for this thread anyway.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Todd's Pet View Post
                      OMG, I hope not!
                      I haven't had any premonitions about turning my toes up in the near future so, hopefully, these precautions won't be needed. It was a bit impractical, though, for me to be the only person who could do record keeping because I made the original posts in the forum threads.

:I can't do anything at work just now, Ciannwn, but I'll do the updates for newly adopted chars and TP's Hive for me and SW tonight. I'll do it in the same format so all you/DS should have to do is paste it in the appropriate place.
                      Could you post these updates in this thread as well? People won't have to wait until I do guide updates before they're aware of them then.

I think Shawn has now abandoned his second home and kitchen on TP's hive so that needs to be changed too. (I'll alter his guide once he's settled in his new location.)

There's a short minific on the COH thread btw, but it's a one-shot, not part of the TP's Hive soap opera so no need to do anything with it - it's just part of the COH RP
                      I'll go and read it now.
                      sigpic

Comment

I haven't had any premonitions about turning my toes up in the near future so, hopefully, these precautions won't be needed. It was a bit impractical, though, for me to be the only person who could do record keeping because I made the original posts in the forum threads.
                        That's true and it now means you're not the only one doing all the work!

Could you post these updates in this thread as well? People won't have to wait until I do guide updates before they're aware of them then.
                        Sure will, tho it may have to be several posts - the dreaded character limit!

I think Shawn has now abandoned his second home and kitchen on TP's hive so that needs to be changed too. (I'll alter his guide once he's settled in his new location.)
                        That's one of the reasons I felt the need to update As well as having some newly adopted boys in our happy little band and some refurbishing done on the hive!
                        sigpic

Comment

The Q&W thing... using Wraith and Queen instead of wraith and queen.
                          Grammatically speaking wraith is correct in the same way that you would not capitalise the word human. As for queen, it would only be an initial cap if it were used as a name, for example: "TP is queen of her own hive" but "Here comes Queen TP".
                          That was what confused me too. If the word Wraith meaning a species/people is written upper case - like for example the English, the French, the Germans - then the word "humans" should also be written upper case, shouldn't it?

Or is there a difference between refering to a species or a people?

Anyway, the SGA novels spell Wraith with "W" so that's probably "house-style".

Comment

That was what confused me too. If the word Wraith meaning a species/people is written upper case - like for example the English, the French, the Germans - then the word "humans" should also be written upper case, shouldn't it?

Or is there a difference between refering to a species or a people?

Anyway, the SGA novels spell Wraith with "W" so that's probably "house-style".
                            I'm assuming it's "house-style" as it is grammatically incorrect for the reasons you point out, DS.
                            If "wraith" were a nationality it would be Wraith, but it's a species like humans, so it should be "wraith".
                            However, I'm well aware that house-style vary greatly and seem to be down to what a particular chief editor thinks looks good, not what is technically correct.
                            As a production editor myself I'm used to it, and the main thing is that we're all singing from the same hymn sheet and being consistent.

It's just hard to remember to punctuate incorrectly, that's all...
                            sigpic

Comment

However it would not be the first time that an adopted "house style" is technically incorrect. For example in our mag we use "no one" instead of "no-one" which irritates me constantly!

I will do my best to over-ride my grammatical training and give wraith and queen initial caps in my fics, for this thread anyway.
                              http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....postcount=2762

Originally posted by Draco-Stellaris
                              Ususally I write Wraith and Queen - except when I forget it in a hurry - In the SGA novels it's written with upper case letters too.
                              The WWA adopted "house style" is consistent with the SGA novels although I didn't know this until I read DS's post. Putting Wraith instead of wraith also seems consistent with other sci-fi alien races - we have Vulcans and Klingons in Star Trek, for example, even though Starfleet Command is based on the human home world. (Puts us in our place, doesn't it. )

I haven't the faintest idea what the correct convention should be for Wraith females because the word Queen in their case really relates to a biological function. Our human game characters seem to have adopted referring to them on the lines of Queen Ellia or Queen Akasha, though. as if they're human royalty
                              sigpic

Comment

The grammar rules are quite straight forward, as I've explained above...

Wraith as a species not a nationality would be "wraith", not "Wraith". The Star Trek examples you give would be the same - initial caps is just an adopted house-style.

Likewise Queen Akasha is perfectly correct because it is an adjuncted proper noun... however the phrase "Is Akasha a wraith queen?" would not have an initial cap. It's one of the simpler rules of English grammar!

However, the world of Sci-Fi is never straightforward and I don't mind and am certainly not going to get into an argument over it - I'm merely explaining why I may forget to do so in my TP minifics and why I will not be doing so in my separate fanfic.
                                Last edited by Todd's Pet; 20 July 2009, 03:01 AM.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X