Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wraith Worshippers Anonymous - Introduction, Joining And Inactivity, Rules, OOC Chat

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tried to watch it pretending I'd never seen Stargate before. I actually enjoyed it but it's not going to make up for not having an SGA movie with Wraith in it.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
      I tried to watch it pretending I'd never seen Stargate before. I actually enjoyed it but it's not going to make up for not having an SGA movie with Wraith in it.
      But then you liked BSG... which I did to start off with, but then lost interest when it started getting "gritty"... I get enough "grit" at work in RL - when I come home and switch on the TV I want PURE ESCAPISM, not "gritty RL"!
      sigpic
      Thanks to Draco-Stellaris for the gorgeous Todd avatar

Comment

Originally posted by Todd's Pet View Post
        But then you liked BSG... which I did to start off with, but then lost interest when it started getting "gritty"... I get enough "grit" at work in RL - when I come home and switch on the TV I want PURE ESCAPISM, not "gritty RL"!
        The main reason I enjoyed BSG was because it had the human form Cylons and the series tackled the question of what is a human and revealed that there was very little difference between human and Cylon in the end. It also included politics and religion because it was a good mix of social science fiction and military science fiction. There was also a fleet of ships so plenty of opportunity to bring in interesting guest characters.

I'm not sure how long I'll enjoy SGU, though, if it does turn out to be nothing more than a small group of humans stuck on a space ship.
        sigpic

Comment

Going on THAT decription, I;m really glad I did NOT persevere with BSG!!!! LOL
          sigpic

Comment

Night everyone, I have to leave now. Not sure if I'll be on tomorrow night, going to give SGU a look, even if it's just to say I've given it a go. It'll be on 9-11pm so I'll see if I can come on in the afternoon instead.
            Hope you're all ok, *hugs* and good night

Comment

Originally posted by Todd's Pet View Post
              Going on THAT decription, I;m really glad I did NOT persevere with BSG!!!! LOL
              SGU could be called eventually the ppoor man's BSG. I expect what may happen is that it will do Ok until the next new series comes along. We'll see I guess.

Night PA.
              Last edited by MCH; 06 October 2009, 03:06 PM.
              sigpic
              Thanks to DS for my siggy

Comment

Gotta go just realised the time and I'm up at 6 this morning. Night.
                sigpic

Comment

The main reason I enjoyed BSG was because it had the human form Cylons and the series tackled the question of what is a human and revealed that there was very little difference between human and Cylon in the end. It also included politics and religion because it was a good mix of social science fiction and military science fiction. There was also a fleet of ships so plenty of opportunity to bring in interesting guest characters.

I'm not sure how long I'll enjoy SGU, though, if it does turn out to be nothing more than a small group of humans stuck on a space ship.
                  IMO BSG was great and unusual. It brought up some very interesting questions and made me think. The only thing I didn't like about BSG was the lame finale, I had expected some more of my questions to be answered.

I'm getting more and more curious about SGU and will give it a go. With my expectations being so low by now it can only be good.

I didn't watch SGA at first because I thought I wouldn't need what I considered to be an unnecessary spin-off. When have I ever been so wrong before?

Comment

Originally posted by Draco-Stellaris View Post
                    The only thing I didn't like about BSG was the lame finale, I had expected some more of my questions to be answered.
                    I liked the finale because there were hints all through the show that the BSG universe had a genuine deity and there was life after death etc. Even though I'm an atheist I found the scenario of everything being engineered by 'God' a refreshing change from the 'all gods are false' approach to a lot of science fiction.
                    sigpic

Comment

I liked the finale because there were hints all through the show that the BSG universe had a genuine deity and there was life after death etc. Even though I'm an atheist I found the scenario of everything being engineered by 'God' a refreshing change from the 'all gods are false' approach to a lot of science fiction.
                      True, that's one of the things that made BSG so fascinating, it's unusual and spriritual approach to life and the meaning of it. Nevertheless I had hoped to get more explanations. It's okay to embed religios aspects into a sci-fi series but I had hoped for more "reli-babble" instead of technobabble then.

Spoiler:
                      For example how exactly Kara came back to life, or Gaius Baltar. He was rescued by his angel but I had hoped for an explanation. Or more about the history goes round in circles theory which I find fascinating.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco-Stellaris View Post

Spoiler:
                        For example how exactly Kara came back to life, or Gaius Baltar. He was rescued by his angel but I had hoped for an explanation. Or more about the history goes round in circles theory which I find fascinating.
                        Spoiler:
                        The 'God' of the BSG universe obviously had the same kind of powers as Star Trek's Q and Stargate's ascended beings. Q could certainly have created a Viper out of thin air and it's likely that Stargate's ascended beings could as well. In BSG, 'God' created a new, temporary body for Kara and put her soul (or whatever you like to call it) into it so she didn't cross over to the afterlife. BSG's equivalent of angels would also have super-powers.

The way I see the 'history goes round in circles' theory is that humans and the human derived species (Cylons) keep making the same mistakes over and over again. We don't know much about the Lords of Kobol except that their civilisation was destroyed in a war which led to Cylons going to the original Earth while the humans went to the twelve colonies.

The series ends with the two angels on what is meant to be 'our' Earth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daybrea...tica%29#Part_2

In New York City, Inner Baltar and Inner Six (no longer tied to the long-deceased Gaius Baltar and Caprica Six)[8] walk through the streets, and stand behind a bystander at a newsstand (Ronald D. Moore in a cameo role) where Inner Baltar implies that "Eve" was Hera. They both comment on the society's decadence and out-of-control technology and how it reminds them of Kobol, the original Earth, and Caprica. They say that all of this has happened before, but Inner Six says she thinks it might be different this time. The final scene shows a montage of a series of more-advanced robots, with a realistic robotic girl on the Jumbotron at Times Square as Inner Six and Inner Baltar walk away through the crowded streets.

Humans on 'our' Earth have a history full of wars. Could we really create a robotic species in our own image without these robots inheriting our violent side? If not, the robots are likely to rebel and continue the cycle.
                        sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:
                          The 'God' of the BSG universe obviously had the same kind of powers as Star Trek's Q and Stargate's ascended beings. Q could certainly have created a Viper out of thin air and it's likely that Stargate's ascended beings could as well. In BSG, 'God' created a new, temporary body for Kara and put her soul (or whatever you like to call it) into it so she didn't cross over to the afterlife. BSG's equivalent of angels would also have super-powers.

The way I see the 'history goes round in circles' theory is that humans and the human derived species (Cylons) keep making the same mistakes over and over again. We don't know much about the Lords of Kobol except that their civilisation was destroyed in a war which led to Cylons going to the original Earth while the humans went to the twelve colonies.

The series ends with the two angels on what is meant to be 'our' Earth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daybrea...tica%29#Part_2

In New York City, Inner Baltar and Inner Six (no longer tied to the long-deceased Gaius Baltar and Caprica Six)[8] walk through the streets, and stand behind a bystander at a newsstand (Ronald D. Moore in a cameo role) where Inner Baltar implies that "Eve" was Hera. They both comment on the society's decadence and out-of-control technology and how it reminds them of Kobol, the original Earth, and Caprica. They say that all of this has happened before, but Inner Six says she thinks it might be different this time. The final scene shows a montage of a series of more-advanced robots, with a realistic robotic girl on the Jumbotron at Times Square as Inner Six and Inner Baltar walk away through the crowded streets.

Humans on 'our' Earth have a history full of wars. Could we really create a robotic species in our own image without these robots inheriting our violent side? If not, the robots are likely to rebel and continue the cycle.
                          Woo. I had forgotten that the last scenes had such an impact. *shivers*

I agree, your explanations make sense, I just had the feeling there was something missing in the plot.

Sorry, already have to go again and look after DS junior. He s going through a phase of "I want to stay up late and I'm not tired at all!"

I don't know if I will be able to come back online later, if I don't manage it I wish you all a good night and sweet wraithy dreams.

Comment

Night sweet waithy dreams everybody.
                            sigpic

Comment

I won't be on much tomorrow and Saturday because my son is coming up for a visit with his girlfriend and dog. As they are staying at a hotel I might come on for a few minutes to catch up with what's going on.
                              sigpic

Comment

Apparently it's National Poetry Day in the UK, so here's something to cheer you up:
                                Wraith are sexy, wraith are cool,
                                But here’s a blow that’s just too cruel:
                                If they travelled here to feed on us
                                You’d think that that would be a plus,
                                But even of wraith there are a few
                                Who make me want to run and spew
                                Jean-Luc, Boris, Karl and Fred
                                S&P with them? I’d rather be dead!
                                I’d even rather be a runner
                                Than let him near me with his stunner!

Edit: My apologies to Ciannwn!!! Somebody has to love 'em!!!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X