Cordelia Chase – Angel - You're Welcome
    Mr. Eko - Lost **
    Anna Lucia- Lost - Two for the Road **
    Tasha Yar
    Ellen Ripley- Alien 3
    Jasper- Children of Men *
    Theo - Children of Men *

* These are have not seen votes.

These will also be future "have not seen" votes so if you want to argue for them, go for it. I'm listening.

Adric- Doctor Who - Earthshock
    Blake, Soolin, Dayna, Tarrant, Vila and Avon - Blake's 7 - Blake
    Cedric Diggory - Harry Potter: Goblet of Fire
    Frank Poole - 2001: A Space Odyssey - yes, I have never seen these. I just couldn't make it that far...zzzzzzz
    HAL 9000 - 2001: A Space Odyssey
    James Cole - Twelve Monkeys
    Jerry - Enemy Mine (though Callista already made her case for this one)
    Mantrid- Lexx - End of the Universe

** It's called don't drink and drive/get arrested in real life cuz you end up dead on LOST. Plus those two deaths had no impact on me, especially Mr. Eko's, and I really liked him. Boone's had more of an emotional impact than both of those combined.
    IMO always implied.

Comment

Round 1

Anna Lucia- Lost - Two for the Road
      Doc Brown - Back to the Future Part III
      Jasper- Children of Men
      Lois Lane - Superman (1978)
      Mr. Eko - Lost
      Tara Maclay – Buffy the Vampire Slayer – Seeing Red
      46-43! and 45-44! and 49-22-11!!
      sigpic
      Ain't it good to know you've got a friend. ~ Carole King

Comment

Originally posted by Naonak
        Does anyone with spare votes want to vote for Lindsay from Angel (in 'Not Fade Away') so I can 11th vote it?
        Damn, too late.
        Oh well...

Round 1
        Cedric Diggory (Harry Potter)
        Cordelia Chase (Angel)
        Ellen Tigh (BSG)
        Frank Poole (2001)
        Hudson (Aliens)
        Mantrid (Lexx)
        Theo (Children of Men)

Comment

Captain James T. Kirk - Star Trek: Generations (What a let down... what happened to.. I'll die alone!?)

Doc Brown - Back to the Future Part III (ahhh, it's a comedy.. you knew it wasn't real...)

Ellen Ripley- Alien 3 (I'll vote against anything that changed the outcome of Aliens)

Kai Winn - Deep Space Nine - What You Leave Behind ( I cheered.. what kind of death is that??)

The Wicked Witch of the East - The Wizard of Oz ( just like those home improvement shows my wife likes)

Tasha Yar – Star Trek: The Next Generation - Skin of Evil

Tracy – Firefly - The Message ( can you say Kai Winn?)

Comment

Description of Mantrid- Lexx - End of the Universe:

Major spoilers:

Mantrid spent most of the second series of Lexx having his drones tear apart the universe to make more drones. By "End of the Universe" the universe had pretty well been converted and Mantrid set his sights on the Lexx crew.
            Spoiler:
            They tricked him into ganging up on them, causing the massive gravitational collapse and destruction of the universe. Incredibly the Lexx was spit out into another universe, along with a small piece of Mantrid (ranting "I destroyed a universe! I destroyed a universe! I destroyed a universe!"), which Xev stomped like a bug ("And we destroyed YOU!").

The most amazing "hoist with his own petard" ever! The scale of the episode was breathtaking.
            Last edited by Wordsmit2; 09 February 2007, 05:45 AM.
            Wordsmit2

The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years, probably contains hundreds of patents that I can exploit--and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "War Zone"

Mess with me, you mess with my whole family. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "Ruling From the Tomb"

Comment

Description of Blake, Soolin, Dayna, Tarrant, Vila and Avon - Blake's 7 - Blake:

I'm publicly spoiling this one because just about every Blake's 7 article and webpage does.

Blake's 7 was a show about a small group of thieves, smugglers, and freedom fighters roaming the galaxy trying to bring down the Federation. Firefly is strongly reminiscent.

Blake had disappeared from the show two years previously. In "Blake", the crew finally tracked him down to a frontier world where they discovered he was working as a bounty hunter for their enemy the Federation. Thanks to a series of deceptions and just plain bad luck, Avon gunned down Blake. The Federation showed up and gunned down Soolin, Dayna, Tarrant, and Vila. That left Avon standing alone in a circle of Federation soldiers. He raised his gun, snarled--and the credits rolled to the sound of two kinds of gunshots.

The fans were livid, but also admitted it was unique, stylish, and kind of fitting.
              Last edited by Wordsmit2; 09 February 2007, 05:55 AM.
              Wordsmit2

The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years, probably contains hundreds of patents that I can exploit--and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "War Zone"

Mess with me, you mess with my whole family. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "Ruling From the Tomb"

Comment

Description of Adric- Doctor Who - Earthshock:

I may be a bit off in some of the specifics, as it's been awhile since I've seen this.

In "Earthshock" Adric was taken hostage with the crew when Cybermen hijacked a 25th century cargo ship. The Cybermen planned to smash the ship into Earth to annihilate the attendees of a conference that was going to result in an alliance of worlds against the Cybermen. (The Cybermen knew this because their ships had rudimentary time travel ability.) The Cybermen locked the ship's navigation system using a cypher lock that used three large prime numbers as a key. Adric was able to unlock two of the keys but in the process started the ship travelling back through time. At this point the viewer realized why there had been a discussion about the mass extinction of the dinosaurs at the beginning of the episode. Since the conference was no longer in danger, the crew put their efforts into abandoning ship. Not being from Earth himself, Adric had no idea that the ship crashing into Earth was an immutable and necessary event, and he left the escape pod at the last instant, certain he had worked out the last prime number. One last cyberman destroyed the cipher keypad before Adric was able to enter his solution, and Adric was left to await his death in the disintegrating bridge. "Now I'll never know if I was right."

This death was not a cheap shot. It was a genuine tragedy (a heroic action rendered pointless by inevitability) and absorbed the viewer fully. I last saw this episode twenty years ago and my hands are shaking as I type this.
                Last edited by Wordsmit2; 09 February 2007, 05:50 AM.
                Wordsmit2

Comment

RESULTS

Admiral Cain – Battlestar Galactica TNS - Resurrection Ship, Part II - 2
                  Adric- Doctor Who – Earthshock - 6
                  Alderaan population - Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope - 4
                  Anna Lucia- Lost - Two for the Road - 7
                  Blake, Soolin, Dayna, Tarrant, Vila and Avon - Blake's 7 – Blake - 3
                  Boromir - Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring - 1
                  Captain Jack Harkness - Doctor Who - The Parting of the Ways - 1
                  Captain James T. Kirk - Star Trek: Generations - 2
                  Cedric Diggory - Harry Potter - 1
                  Cordelia Chase – Angel - You're Welcome - 4
                  Crow – Firefly – The Train Job - 4
                  D'Argo - Farscape Peacekeeper Wars - 1
                  Data - Star Trek: Nemesis – 1
                  Doc Brown - Back to the Future Part III – 10
                  Donald Gennaro – Jurassic Park – 3
                  Ellen Ripley - Alien 3 - 6
                  Ellen Tigh – Battlestar Galactica: TNS - Exodus part 2 – 3
                  Frank Poole (2001) – 1
                  Fred – Angel – 1
                  HAL 9000 - 2001: A Space Odyssey – 1
                  Hudson (Aliens) – 1
                  James Cole - Twelve Monkeys – 1
                  Jasper- Children of Men – 7
                  Jerry - Enemy Mine – 2
                  Kai Winn - Deep Space Nine - What You Leave Behind – 1
                  King Kong – 1
                  Lois Lane - Superman (1978) – 6
                  Mace Windu – 2
                  Major Kong - Dr Strangelove – 2
                  Mantrid- Lexx - End of the Universe – 6
                  Mr. Eko – Lost – 7
                  Qui-Gon Jinn - Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace – 1
                  Scooti - Doctor Who - The Impossible Planet – 4
                  Shepherd Book – Serenity – 1
                  Smeagol (Gollum) – Lord of the Rings: Return of the King – 2
                  Tara Maclay – Buffy the Vampire Slayer – Seeing Red – 2
                  Tasha Yar – Star Trek: The Next Generation - Skin of Evil - 11
                  The Emperor – Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi – 2
                  The Wicked Witch of the East - The Wizard of Oz – 1
                  Theo - Children of Men – 6
                  Tracy – Firefly - The Message – 2
                  Wash - Serenity – 1
                  Zhaan – Farscape - Self-Inflicted Wounds, Pt 2: Wait for the Wheel – 1

Tasha Yar – Star Trek: The Next Generation - Skin of Evil is GONE

Current List of Deaths

Round Two
                  Ellen Ripley- Alien 3
                  HAL 9000 - 2001: A Space Odyssey
                  Major Kong - Dr Strangelove
                  Scooti - Doctor Who - The Impossible Planet
                  Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
                  - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Round 2

Crow – Firefly – The Train Job
                    Donald Gennaro – Jurassic Park
                    Jasper- Children of Men
                    Mr. Eko – Lost
                    Theo - Children of Men
                    Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                    - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

I'll get this out of the way now.

Deaths I’m Supporting
                      Spoiler:

Admiral Cain – Battlestar Galactica TNS - Resurrection Ship, Part II
                      Spoiler:
                      Wasn’t expecting that I can tell ya, I’m not a huge fan of BSG at all, but I saw this and was shocked. Brilliant scene and aftermath

Spoiler:
                      Companions don’t die, they just don’t! When this happened (a good while before I was even born, so when I first saw it) my reaction was pretty much “”. Died a pointless but nonetheless heroic death

Allen Francis Doyle - Angel- Hero
                      Spoiler:
                      He wasn’t much of a hero, he’d rather have spent his time in a bar, but he didn’t do that, because of what he could do, because of his destiny he helped Angel. But he was still no hero. Doyle knew that, and so, when he, Angel and Cordy realized that the only way to save the day was for Angel, a real hero, to die, Doyle took his place instead and ensured Angel went on fighting, he became a hero.

Anakin Skywalker - Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi
                      Spoiler:
                      A villain reforms and in his first act he saves his son, but it costs him his own life. A tragic tale of a tragic hero ends beautifully

Spoiler:
                      “What’re ya doing Michael?????” ‘Nuff said?

Blake, Soolin, Dayna, Tarrant, Vila and Avon - Blake's 7 – Blake
                      Spoiler:
                      That’s one way to end a show….

Boromir - Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring
                      Spoiler:
                      After his moment of weakness he fights to the end, never giving up or showing weakness, made all the better by Sean Bean’s brilliant performance

Captain Jack Harkness - Doctor Who - The Parting of the Ways
                      Spoiler:
                      Companions don’t die! He started as a con man and ended up fighting to slow the Daleks so that the Doctor could win, he saw death and he didn’t flinch, he accepted his fate. What came next is a whole other story

Spoiler:
                      Used by a Power that Was to come to Earth, Cordy’s body got used up, but that wasn’t the end, comatose, and about to die, Cordy was given a choice. In her absence Team Angel had shacked up with the Big Bad, and Angel had lost his way, so Cordy used her one chance to see her friends one last time and sets Angel on the right road again. What made the whole thing more brilliant is that she knew from the beginning of that ep that she was about to die, but she never let on.

Darla - Angel - Lullaby
                      Spoiler:
                      Read my post from a page or two back

Data - Star Trek: Nemesis
                      Spoiler:
                      The android who wanted to human ended up going out doing something that normal humans couldn’t do, facing death to save someone else’s life. The movie was aweful, but at least Data got a send off.

Fred - Angel - A Hole in the World
                      Spoiler:
                      WOW! She had no hope, no chance, but she never stopped fighting Illyria’s presence within her, a brilliant ending to the character

Jasper- Children of Men
                      Spoiler:
                      He had the strength to stand up to people he knew would kill him, all to save the life of a child. His dignity and courage were spectacular, and Michael Cane pulled it off perfectly.

Jenny Calendar- Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Passion
                      Spoiler:
                      Trying to undo her mistakes led to Jenny’s death. She wanted to give Angel his soul back and he killed her for it, marking the point of no return for him, and a turning point in the show. After this episode, no Jossverse character was ever safe again

John Crichton - Infinite Possibilities, Pt 2: Icarus Abides
                      Spoiler:
                      Killing off THE main character is a stroke of genius. End of story IMO

Joyce Summers - Buffy the Vampire Slayer - I Was Made to Love You/The Body
                      Spoiler:
                      A source of normality in the show ended to further the show along, showing Buffy being forced to grow up. Not so much the death itself, but what it meant for the rest of the characters (and the episode which followed her actual death “The Body” was brilliant)

Obi Wan Kenobi – Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope
                      Spoiler:
                      Showed us what being a Jedi was all about, he let himself die so that Luke, the one true hope in stopping Vader, could get out alive. Excellent

Tara Maclay – Buffy the Vampire Slayer – Seeing Red
                      Spoiler:
                      Brutal! She was in the show for 2 seasons and when they finally add her to the credits they kill her off! The shock death of the series that I certainly didn’t expect to happen, and it summed up the tragic relationship she and Willow had had over the last season perfectly

The Terminator - T2: Judgment Day
                      Spoiler:
                      A hero ending his own life because he has to. Simple enough, but still effective

Theo - Children of Men
                      Spoiler:
                      Theo was dragged into the story and forced to take center stage when Julian Moore takes a bullet in the neck. He succeeds in his mission only to succumb to his wounds minutes later.

Wash – Serenity
                      Spoiler:
                      Finally makes it to the ground, his piloting skills made sure Serenity got to Mr. Universe’s planet safely, and then he dies of a harpoon to the chest. He died for a higher purpose, to show the ‘verse what it needed to see.

Wesley – Angel - Not Fade Away
                      Spoiler:
                      The most up and down character in the show for the last 3 seasons dies for a pointless cause, he signed up for it, to show the Senior Partners that though they can’t be stopped, the heroes will always fight regardless. He died in the arms of Illyria, who had assumed the form of his dead girlfriend Fred, truly tear-jerking

Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
                      - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Round 2
                        Blake, Soolin, Dayna, Tarrant, Vila and Avon - Blake's 7 - Blake
                        Donald Gennaro – Jurassic Park
                        Ellen Ripley- Alien 3

James Cole - Twelve Monkeys
                        Mr. Eko – Lost

Comment

Round 2

1. Alderaan population - Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope
                          2. Boromir - Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring
                          3. D'Argo - Farscape Peacekeeper Wars
                          4. Jerry - Enemy Mine
                          5. The Emperor – Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi
                          6. Theo - Children of Men
                          7. Zhaan – Farscape - Self-Inflicted Wounds, Pt 2: Wait for the Wheel
                          sigpic

Comment

Round 2

Doc Brown - Back to the Future
                            Ellen Ripley- Alien 3
                            Mr. Eko - Lost
                            Jasper- Children of Men *
                            Theo - Children of Men *

* These are have not seen votes.

Thanks Wordsmit2 for your posts. I'll definitely be holding off on voting for those even though I haven't seen them.
                            IMO always implied.

Comment

Ana Lucia- Lost - Two for the Road
                              Mr. Eko - Lost
                              Captain Jack Harkness - Doctor Who - The Parting of the Ways
                              D'Argo - Farscape Peacekeeper Wars

Stargate SG-1 Survivor - Season 2

Gateworld's Next Top Artist (NEW!)

B'elanna: This ship will not survive the formation of the cosmos...

Comment

Round 2

D'Argo - Farscape Peacekeeper Wars
                                Smeagol (Gollum) – Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
                                Theo - Children of Men

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

Working...
                                X