Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you could go back and change things in SG1??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you could go back and change things in SG1??

....I would change a few things.

1) Eliminate the evil monster theme of goa'ulds, Ori and especially the bug replicators.
    The idea of a sentient snake creature of intelligence equal to human beings is just too fantastic to be taken seriously, and replicators moves the story too much from science fiction to plain fantasy.
    Thus the Jaffa would simply be slave military personnel.

2) Therefore think of plain humanoid enemies with their own extraordinary technology and powers.

3) Keep Jonas Quinn with or without Daniel Jackson and forget about Vala.

4) Try to get around the problem of a Col. Carter being subordinate to a Col. Mitchell by making Sam the leader of SG1 and a subordinate major or captain brought on to SG1.

5) Move away from the village rustic orientation of most of the planets to ones that more developed and find ways to get around the improbable idea of a huge planet being inhabited by only a few dozen or few hundred people using creative graphics.

6) Keep a strong emphasis on issues of ethical dilemmas and morality, time travel, parallel universes, as opposed to the repetition of the same action-based stories.

7) Include more realism rather than the idea that people would travel to planets with no decontamination chamber attached to the stargate and more medical issues which are among the most interesting.

8) Eliminate the ascension element of the story and Big Bad Anubis (rather boring).

Just a few of my thoughts off the cuff..........

Actually, the Goa'uld make perfect sense. Their intelligence is far less fantastical than the idea that all alien species must be humanoid.

The Ori and the Replicators I could do without though.

The rest of your suggestions... *yawn*

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
    Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
    sigpic
    now also appearing on DeviantArt
    Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

a few things i would have changed:

1. i would have brought back jonas for a few more eps in season 7. then in season 9, after his planet got attacked by the ori, have an episode where he escapes back to the sgc, and is recurring there after. he is placed on another sg team.

2. i would have given jacob a better death (if he had to die at all), than the symbiot dying. i think it would have been interesting if he risked his life to save sam (or maybe all sg-1) and died a hero.

3. not have baal clone himself, instead have him try to inflartate major organizations on earth, while trying to regain his power.

4. cam, have him already been on a sg team, when he gets injured in the arctic battle. the rest of his story can remain the same. except that sam should be the leading officer of new sg-1.
      Last edited by blueray; 16 July 2012, 02:43 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2 View Post
        ....I would change a few things.

1) Eliminate the evil monster theme of goa'ulds, Ori and especially the bug replicators.
        The idea of a sentient snake creature of intelligence equal to human beings is just too fantastic to be taken seriously, and replicators moves the story too much from science fiction to plain fantasy.
        Thus the Jaffa would simply be slave military personnel.

I always figured that the snakes used the brain power of their hosts but genetic memory comes from them. To me that is alien enough.

2) Therefore think of plain humanoid enemies with their own extraordinary technology and powers.
        Problem is that Gou'ald have to human or resemble humans enough to be gods. I liked the way it was however, i would change it to maintain consistency of their healing powers and strength. I would also change their tactics and weaponry to actually challenge Earth weapons. After a few seasons it was relatively easy for a human to take down a Jaffa.

3) Keep Jonas Quinn with or without Daniel Jackson and forget about Vala.
        I do agree. Vala was just... there. For all intents and purposes, she was useless in the series except to be a pretty figure on the team with some humor. She should have never been part of SG-1 the premier team. I would bring back Jonas with some sort of insight to the Ori.

4) Try to get around the problem of a Col. Carter being subordinate to a Col. Mitchell by making Sam the leader of SG1 and a subordinate major or captain brought on to SG1.
        Perhaps. But that isn't exactly an issue. Senority always prevails in the military regardless of how long one officer has done one thing(experience vs. rank). I would have given him a much better background to show how qualifed he was to lead SG-1. Like give him a SG team and you could have given a better understanding of why he was chosen over Carter.

5) Move away from the village rustic orientation of most of the planets to ones that more developed and find ways to get around the improbable idea of a huge planet being inhabited by only a few dozen or few hundred people using creative graphics.
        Maybe. Perhaps in Gou'ald held territories. But planets where they have little contact with I can understand. There have been plenty of planets they have visited that has shown farily advanced cultures.

6) Keep a strong emphasis on issues of ethical dilemmas and morality, time travel, parallel universes, as opposed to the repetition of the same action-based stories.
        Yeah...

7) Include more realism rather than the idea that people would travel to planets with no decontamination chamber attached to the stargate and more medical issues which are among the most interesting.
        IU makes sense. OU, budget reasons. Medical issues may be interesting to you but not everyone.

8) Eliminate the ascension element of the story and Big Bad Anubis (rather boring).

Just a few of my thoughts off the cuff..........
        I found the Anubis arc the most interesting part of SG-1. Apophis was pretty boring IMO. Ascension was ok for me.

My thoughts:

1. Bug Replicators. Honestly they never seemed that threatening to me. Maybe instead of swarming like they did, they could create objects like a the Terminator thingie in Ark of Truth or maybe a smallish tank bug that fired off energy weapons.

2. Small gripe. I would have made the base of the Hatak square shaped instead of triangular so they can actually land on pyramids. It being triangular made no sense to me.

3. Make the Gou'ald more threatening. Instead seeing a handful of ships I would have liked to see a fleet of them. For example when Aphosis tried to attack Earth instead of two ships maybe a dozen. It could have been done story wise if planned ahead. But overall, make it seem that any minute the Gou'ald could appear above Earth to attack.

4. I would have had the Stargate Program revealed in Season 9 instead of the Lucian Alliance. It would have made it more interesting, as the galaxy is threatened by faith, Earth could have their own doubts of faith on themselves. Ba'al would be part of the reveal perhaps or maybe underminding the whole thing...

5. Make the Ori more threatening as well. Aside from their ships, their footsoldiers were no better than a Jaffa. Maybe a personal shield for all of them? That the SGC had to find a way to bypass their shields?

6. Asgard gives upgrades to Odyssey in Unending, but the Asgard do not destroy themselves but launch a final strike to weaken the Ori. Maybe the last remnants of the Asgard fleet draw in the majority of the Ori fleet for a final battle, and when all is lost they blow up their planet. Ori are still around but severely weakened.

7. Abit of a fanboy here, but a second Prometheus would have been nice. Maybe the second one was destroyed when Earthb was attacked by Anubis.
        Hi There!

Comment

I would not have killed off Dr Janet Fraiser and Jonas Quinn would have stayed at SGC.
          sigpic "Check out or post Models, toys and blueprints " or: "latest Stargate PC Games "

Comment

Personally, I wouldn't change anything in SG-1. Was everything perfect all of the time? No, it wasn't. IMO though, there was way more good than bad. TPTB did a magnificent job over that ten season stretch.
            sigpic
            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
            "...phu...ah..."
            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

The only thing I'd have changed was the inclusion of Vala and maybe make some of the system lords more interesting (like Yu/Baa'l as opposed to Seth). I think some of them lacked personality and some of those that did were only featured in 1 episode.

Comment

1. I would probably retain the original movie/Season 1 appereance of the Goa'uld instead of how pathetic they were later.
                2. Daniel Jackson would not return(I know I'm being very, very bad here and I really like the character but I would want some exploration of Jonas Quinn) for another 2 seasons.
                3. The X-304 class wouldn't have been created.
                4. SG-1 would be slightly more episodic(like the early exploration episodes from Season 1).
                5. Janet Fraiser NOT dying.
                6. The other governments(INCLUDING Russia) would never find out about the SGC.
                7. The Ori plot would only be 5 eps long.
                8. Moebius two-parter would be the pilot episode.
                9. Anubis can stay, but only if he remains stuck on the ice planet inside the Russian guy.
                10. More caution when going through the gate. Seriously, in Season 10 they just put on the vests, grabbed the P-90's and went through without even looking at the MALP telemetry.
                11. Harry Maybourne's return.
                12. Sha're replaced by the original Sha'uri.
                13. Episodes 2 and 3 removed. Kawalsky stays on the show.
                "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

14. The original Tok'ra uniforms remain.
                  15. Jacob does not die.
                  "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

The only things I would change would be getting rid of the 'ascension' thing completely, not killing Daniel off at all, not killing Janet, and having the series end after Moebius...no movies, no spinoffs, no Vala, no Cameron, no Landry, and NO ORI. Everyone lives happily ever after, the end. Leave the rest to fanFiction writers.
                    "Y'know; Lose it. It means, go crazy. Nuts. Insane. Bonzo. No Longer in posession of one's faculties. Three fries short of a Happy Meal. WHACKO!!!!!"

The perfect couple!

Comment

I don't think I would've changed a lot. Despite some of th emore annoying things, I still loved SG1 the way it is.
                      I think the only things I would change, would be keeping Jonas on the show. Maybe move him to another SG team after Daniel came back, but it seemed so rude and rushed to just have him go back to Langara. Sam would be in charge of SG1 after Cam joins them, I personally felt like that would've been more fair. I woud've excluded Vala. Sorry, but not a fan.

And yes, I agree with rushy; the Sha'uri from the movie should've been brought back. She was the most precious, adorable woman ever and I think I would've liked the whole Daniel/Sha're/Apophis arc a lot better.

EDIT: I would've left out the whole Trust thing in seasons 9 and 10, with several Goa'uld infiltrating. Incredibly boring and a rather lame way to keep the Goa'uld on the show.

Comment

oh i want to add. i would find some sort of way to explain the language thing. i think i'll have sg-1 get a hold of a translator technology on chulak (sp), and have them figure out how to replicate it for all sgc members.

wasn't sha're played by the same actress?
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by blueray View Post
                          wasn't sha're played by the same actress?
                          No. Sha'uri from the movie was played by Mili Avital, and Sha're was played by Vaitiare Bandera.
                          To me it always seemed to useless to get the original actors back for Skaara and Kasuf, but bring in a new actress for Sha're/Sha'uri..

I'd like to add one more thing; with all the changes that were taking place in seasons 9 and 10 regarding characters leaving/new characters being introduced, I think the transition could've gone smoother if they had kept some of their recurring characters from previous seasons, just to keep some familiar, well-liked faces around. I, for example, really missed Major Davis in the last few seasons. Bra'tac wasn't around much anymore either, and there are more.
                          Last edited by YceQueen; 28 July 2012, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Some rather interesting changes people seem to want....

There isn't an awful lot I would change, but I would like to have the Heroes two parter thrown on the junk pile. Two episodes constructed around the death of a character who never needed to die.

Otherwise, more consistency in terms of semi regular characters. It would have been nice to have had a fewer number of more fleshed out System Lords and Tok'ra instead of just hiring new actors to play new characters when the time came. (Summit/Last Stand/Reckoning - I am looking at you!)

Comment

i agree about the to'kra, it seemed like they hired them for 1 or 2 episodes than never used them again, even though they were supposedly a leader (with the exception of jacob and marthouf).
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X