This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GateWorld Fan Fic Competition Round Two:D

Right Girls and Boys, here we start round two. A few rules.
    Please read them

1/ There will only be posts here for stories only, all discussion can take place in our new thread FanFic Analysis and Discussion. In that thread you can dissect not only the competition, but ALL FanFics on GW as well.

2/ As a theme for this round, it will be a bit of a challenge. Girls will write a Technobabble/Action themed story, and the boys will do a fluffy Shipper....have fun. (Though this is not compulsory, but see if you can anyway) Cheers

3/ Entries open for three weeks, then one week of voting this time around

Closing Date May 8th Good luck everyone

And please do some PR for the thread

Anything between 1000 and 2000 words os ok, but we're not pedantic on that either

There are now some new regulations for everybody. Your story will be sent by you to our secretary EllieV, by email at this address

[email protected]

From now on, when the round is finished, voters will be voting for a story, not the author. Simply send your story to Ellie, with the word Fic on the subject line, and tell her who you are on GW. Don't forget your story Title

THE POLL IS NOW CLOSED, THANK YOU ALL FOR PARTICIPATING
    Pegasus's Problems Pertaining to Pants
    13.33%
    Cheating Death
    4.44%
    Retro
    7.78%
    The Last Morning
    13.33%
    Manifestation
    4.44%
    Diary of a Crazy Medic
    3.33%
    Qualities of a Leader
    13.33%
    Under a blue moon
    10.00%
    Technobabble
    14.44%
    Logical Conclusions
    11.11%
    Getting Recognition… Finally!
    4.44%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by puddlejumperOZ; 16 May 2010, 02:17 PM.
    My FF.netStories -Stargate Atlantis Allies-Colonel Ted Hasluck Bio
    sigpic "Weedle" 27/09/1987-16/09/2010 RIP Soldier

We'll have the same voting format, as it seemed to work well, unless someone has a new idea on that, please PM me, thanks

Comment

Ellie will hold 5 stories before posting them, so please don't be concerned if they don't show too quickly, thankyou all

Comment

*moans* Oh great, fluff.............thankyou sir!

Thanks to Commander PJOZ for the siggy

Comment

Originally posted by jackclone1 View Post
          *moans* Oh great, fluff.............thankyou sir!
          I agree - technobabble, technosmabble!

Comment

I have received three stories. As per instructions, I will not post them until there's five.

GET WRITING!

Comment

First story:

Pegasus's Problems Pertaining to Pants

Spoiler:
              This was it, she had finally had enough. It was unbelievably annoying to keep reordering the one different type of BDU that the man wore and it always added significantly to her paperwork. Despite looking good in it, she was more annoyed with the added work than pleased with the eye candy, though that wasn't that bad either. Now she was going to get answers.

He was sitting on the balcony in the Mess Hall, coffee in one hand, tablet in the other. At least he was getting work done. Maybe, just maybe if he was nice, polite, and provided a good explanation she would allow him to continue.

But yesterday had been the last straw. He had fallen into a muddy bog right out of the gate and completely ruined yet another set of BDU's. It wasn't enough that they were completely caked in mud and God knows how many different kinds of crap that was in that bog, but Ronon, upon pulling him out had shred it to pieces in trying to clean him up. The event had left the man with only one clean and unscathed Battle Dress Uniform.

She made it look like she was just going to sit down to have breakfast, a slice of toast and jam, a hard boiled egg, an orange and salad. Nothing much as she wasn't running around burning calories like she used to. In actuality, it was a struggle to not just sneak up behind him and dump it all in his lap, perhaps finally forcing him to wear the official Atlantis uniform.

Flowing gracefully around him without a word and he replied effortlessly by pretending not to notice her. Damn he was smooth, too smooth. Maybe Rodney was right and all the hair products had some kind of cumulative effect on his brain. She sat down and smiled sweetly. "John."

John didn't even look up, but his voice was very respectful. "Mornin', Sam. Nice to have company." He only ever called her Sam in private, and this secluded balcony table counted. Sam smirked lightly at the easy going team spirit they'd worked out, it reminded her of Cam.

Sam had assumed correctly he'd be unfazed and used her sweetest and most non-threatening voice, the one Jack and Daniel had quickly learned to pay attention to. "There's something we need to talk about...."

John put the tablet on the table. He'd been grading the martial arts classes he and Ronon were holding for the Marine contingent and was about halfway through when Sam arrived. He took a sip of his coffee and smiled directly at Sam. "Can't wait for the briefing?"

Sam kept the sweet singsongy tone. She wanted to nail him full force and needed to sneak the complaint in like a poisoned dagger. "Nope. This is something that's just between you and me." She'd played poker enough times to see his reactions. John's pupils dilated slightly, his breathing a little faster. He was obviously preparing to defend himself and his suave smile kept it well hidden.

He didn't disappoint. "Oh, well... shoot."

Sam took a deep breath in. This had to be carefully worded and incredibly gracious. She was letting loose an entire afternoon's worth of work in this semi-speech and needed to make sure he fully understood and perhaps even agreed. "Would you mind explaining why you refuse to wear the standard Atlantis uniform?

Sam paused for a second to both let it sink in, and for dramatic effect.

"I've had to order black Battle Dress Uniform's on the last four shipments from Earth and it adds about half an hour to my inventory team per person.

The proof was there, the numbers didn't lie. Sam's devious smile told John that she'd obviously prepared well for this encounter.

"I've done the calculations and it actually costs this expedition an extra thousand dollars on average per month to keep them either in stock, or reorder them when you ruin them offworld.

The main issue aside, she set herself up perfectly for the next rebuke. John seemed completely unsurprised to her curiosity.

"On that note, of the past 20 times you've gone out, eight times you've come back with either your shirt, or your pants in a state in which they no longer meet standard USAF regulations on cleanliness, color, odor, or amount of revealed skin.

As fit as John kept his body, Sam had had little or no desire to see his bare ass the week prior when his pants were completely ripped to shreds when he fell down a slope and his belt had gotten caught on a root. Although now that she had, Sam had to admit, the man could open a bakery with how fresh those buns were.

Sam was expecting John to interrupt, but he seemed oddly calm about the entire rebuke. She clasped her hands together in front of her to try and look a little more formal; this was not a joke. "So in closing, I'm going to give you one chance to argue why I should continue ordering them."

Sam took a deep breath, and blatantly stole a bite of John's waffle. It'd been too easy to be John's friend till now and Sam needed to make sure he knew that she was the one wearing the pants around here... both metaphorically and literally in this case.

John seemed completely unaffected and took another sip of his coffee. Once he finished swallowing, he leaned forward slightly, his voice soft and friendly. "Simple answer? They don't fit right. I get chafing and calluses in uhh... tender areas if I wear those uniforms. Remember the first time we met in the SGC, you told us about the Stargate? Reason I was all fidgety is I had to keep in an uncomfortable position to keep from ripping the seams of those pants.

He kept his voice reasonable, in just a polite and diplomatic voice as Sam did. "I ran the numbers myself when Weir complained, and the thousand extra's nothin' compared to the two thousand plus it'd cost to get the proper size uniform custom made, given the way I go through 'em." John smiled, loving the slight and almost imperceptible shock that crept across Sam's facial features. He'd found that Sam highly enjoyed his sarcastic wit and loved it when she smiled.

Shrugging his shoulders, John got back to his breakfast. "I don't blame you for wondering why though. You're not the first to ask why the military commander of a base would wear a different uniform than the troops under him. And since we're on the topic, besides the fit, I think it makes me stand out better off-world if there's a clear line separating me, 'the leader', from the others." John used air quotes to emphasize his point.

Sam clenched her jsaw, a clear sign that she was struggling not to smirk. John had been expecting her to come to him about this eventually and had worked out his rebuttal just as much as she had worked on her complaint.

He pressed before Sam could answer. "And as far as my clothing in bad shape, all in the line of duty. Cam mentioned having the same conversation with General Landry when he couldn't keep his pants on no matter how hard he tried." Sam finally cracked, a stifled snort leaving her throat. John felt incredibly proud and took a deep breath. He stared at Sam and expected her reply. "So with that set straight, what's your decision?"

John had finished with a hopeful look, Sam couldn't help but think of puppies and a magic rainbow land. She nearly broke out into laughter but managed to stay in control

Sam took a few deep breaths, calming herself. She took a nice long sip of tea before finally speaking. "I can see you're adamant about this and you've done your research. So I'll meet you halfway and keep ordering them, under the condition that you take better care of them."

She smiled, and deep in her mind she was glad he was so meticulous. It made her more respectful of the man and his well built frame. The fact that he was willing to stand up to her on something he believed in was encouraging too. It'd all been too smooth since they seemed to think on the same wavelength and it was heartening to know that they could disagree in a mature and civilized way.

John made an indecisive shrug and took another sip of coffee. Unbeknownst to him, Ronon was walking up behind him carrying a tray in one hand. "I'd love to agree, but this galaxy has something against me wearing pants."

As if to prove his point, Ronon's free hand came down on his shoulder in greeting. " Sheppard." John jolted in surprise, and accidentally spilled his mug of hot coffee into his lap. He winced and groaned ever so slightly at the burning agony. Sam gasped as she covered her mouth in shock to keep her smile hidden. Doubling over a little, John's veins on his neck bulged as he grit his teeth and tried to give Ronon an irritated look.

Sam shook slightly as she stifled her snickers in her throat at the unlikely circumstances. Ronon raised his eyebrows even as he took a bite out of his 20 ingredient sandwich, sitting between the two commanders. "Uhh... sorry."

John's eyes were wide and his hands were shaking slightly as they curled into fists, baring the pain. His breath was unsteady and he shivered in repressed agony. John looked to Sam once the searing anguish was past and hoarsely whispered. "See what I mean?"
              Last edited by EllieVee; 07 May 2010, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Second story:

Cheating Death

Spoiler:
                "I'm dead, John."

Her voice was hoarse, though he could hardly blame her. She was out there floating in the dead of space, every cell in her body frozen completely solid, and that was assuming she still had cells. It had been a month since she sacrificed herself, knowingly gave up on life, for their benefit. A month since she had been a real, tangible part of his world. A month since Elizabeth Weir had been able to stand at his side and speak with him in that tender way she always had. And yet here they stood, gazing out at the waves atop Atlantis's highest spire. He knew it had to be a dream, but it was one he wished would never end.

Sheppard smiled ruefully, trying to decide whether or not he should put his arm around her or just rest his hand on hers. The last thing he wanted to do was make her feel uncomfortable or awkward or -- what in the world was he saying? This wasn't even real, but he was fretting over how he might make her feel? Maybe there really was something wrong with his head, after all.

"John?"

His head snapped up. "Yeah? What? Did I...?"

"Nothing, you just weren't answering. I was... I don't know. I don't want to make you feel awkward with all this is all."

Oh, the irony. "No, it's fine, really. I was just, uh, thinking. That's all."

"About me?"

"You, me, us... the --"

"--usual?"

He smiled despite himself. "You know me too well, Elizabeth."

"Well there are some perks to being inside your head. All those thoughts I could never quite get to running wild... quite a show you have going on in here, John."

"Ah..." he muttered, spirits sinking. So she knew of the reality of their situation, too. And here he had been hoping she would be blissfully unaware, able to just enjoy this piece of paradise with him free of any worldly concerns. But no, life could never just let him have his happiness, it always had to throw in a wrench. Time and again.

She smiled, then laughed, cupping his hands in hers. "John, please. Don't think so much."

"Elizabeth, you are, for all intents and purposes..." he started, then choked on the word. McKay had said that he danced around it, but until now, Sheppard had never noticed. Well he wasn't going to be reduced to a whimpering child, not even in his dreams. "Dead," he finished firmly.

"Yes, and? If you know and understand me the way you claim to, where's the difference between the me out there and the me in here?"

"I've never claimed I--"

She pressed a finger to his lips, shaking her head ever so softly. "I don't need to hear you say it to know how you feel. Ever since you saved me from Kolya, I've known. The way you looked at me changed, and then when Rodney implanted me with those nanites..."

"No," he said quickly, pulling away, "I mean, yes, but no. Elizabeth, stop, please..."

"Why?" she pressed, frowning. "John, you said it yourself; I'm dead. When do I get to have my say, if not now?"

"It's not you!" Sheppard roared, surprising even himself with his ferocity. But she showed no fear, no recoil, just a kind-hearted understanding.

Reaching out, she pulled him close, brushing her fingertips across his cheek and denying him the anger he so wanted to vent. "So I'm a delusion. A tired man's fantasy. A daydream of what may have been. When you wake up, I'll be nothing but a foggy memory that will be gone by breakfast. And you know what? I don't care.

"I spent five years of my life assembling and leading this mission to God knows where to find God knows what. I went into it determined to discover everything the universe had to offer, every secret that ever was. No expectations, no preconceived notions. I was willing to throw everything away for the cause, not thinking I'd ever see Earth or anyone on it again. I was ready to give it all for the expedition.

"But then I met you, John. You swept me off my feet and never looked back, charging into the unknown like no man I had ever known. And you know what?"

Sheppard honestly had no idea what to say, staring slack-jawed in astonishment. He could only shrug helplessly.

Again she took his hand, again the soft, unnervingly perfect smile. "When that day on Asuras finally came when I had the chance to make the ultimate sacrifice for this mission, for Earth... I realized that I didn't want to. Because I realized that I'd met the man I wanted to spend every day of every year of the rest of my life with."

"Elizabeth..." he tried to say, but only managed to whisper uselessly, tears in his eyes.

"I love you, John Sheppard. And you damn better not forget it."

She slipped her arms around his neck and pulled, bringing his and her lips together. It was something he'd wanted for half a decade, something he'd been desperate to do since the day he realized he, too, had fallen in love. No alien body swapping or the mind-warping effects of some alien device, just the pure and unadulterated passion of two ordinary people so very far from home. At long last, she was his--

--at least until the alarm split the silence and jolted him into alertness. Slamming his fist down on the clock, John swore, wondering why life couldn't just leave him be another few minutes. He had absolutely no interest in visiting M41-995, and the Wraith could overrun all of Pegasus for all he cared right now. He hadn't waited five years for Elizabeth Weir just to give her up to a damned piece of electronics.

But then cold logic took hold, and he knew he had lost. Life had to go on, missions had to be undertaken, and beds could not be lain in indefinitely. Pulling himself up, he gazed longingly back at his pillow, then resigned himself to what had to be done and grabbed a change of clothes out of his dresser. As he pulled his shirt on, though, he realized that it was like she had always told him; there was always a loophole. Reality only won if he let it, and this was one fight he was determined not to lose. He finished dressing and ran for the door, already radioing the control room to assure his team that he'd be there soon. If she was secreted away in his dreams, he knew he could find her again. The mission would be agonizing, every second ticking by with a slowness he had never known, but he would bear it in silence. Elizabeth would have to wait, but not too long.

Only until tonight.
                Last edited by EllieVee; 07 May 2010, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Third story

Retro

Spoiler:
                  Was it worth it, thought Rodney irritably. Yes, this was advanced coding that they had barely scratched the surface on but couldn't the damn wraith talk plainly?!

"Do you wish me to explain it in more simple terms Dr Mckay?"

The grating voice of the wraith snapped him from his daydreaming. It was standing there with its head to one side, eyeing him up. Probably wondering if it can get its hands free and feed on me before the marines shoot it, thought Rodney bitterly. He wished it would stop staring at him like that! It was creepy.

"Huh?"

"I was merely inquiring if you wished me to go over the coding principle in more simple terms. You appear to be struggling to keep up."

"Nope, no, you just carry on, I'm keeping up just fine," snapped Rodney. The wraith was making fun of him! He was the biggest genius in two galaxies (alongside Samantha Carter of course), and just because they currently needed the help of Sheppard's wraith to help with the replicator coding was not in any way a mark on his record. No, he was just... making use of resources, that was all.

The wraith rolled his eyes and returned to the computer screen before him.

"Now the secondary beta coding appears to no longer correlate to the replicators base code. We would have to re-correlate the primary and tertiary bases in order to-"

"No no no, that would take months and would leave the rest of the coding just sitting there. It's not a primary directive, just delete it and concentrate on the auxiliary shadow coding should-"

"It is quite necessary, without this line of coding functioning correctly the entire tertiary support cycle would shut down instantly and take the rest of the coding with it."

"Okay then, what do you suggest because we clearly can't leave it or actually do anything with it without mucking up the whole coding, which, may I remind you, is not a healthy option for any of us."

The wraith chose not to answer him (probably because he was right, 1-nil to Mckay!) and returned to staring at the monitor, hands twitching in its restraints (probably wanting to fed on him for being right). So they worked solidly for a few hours, not talking to each other; Rodney because he was obviously right and didn't need the wraith's help and the wraith because it was clearly having another one of its strops. The only sounds were the tapping of McKay's computer, the wraith growling under its breath and the sound of bored marines who are wondering how long till the end of their shift.

"How's it going?" asked Sheppard as he breezed in three hours later.

"Not good," replied Rodney, not looking up from his monitor.

"What we would require," growled the wraith eventually, "is a string sequencing pattern that would generate a staggered code module to fit into the breaks in the base coding, resulting in a complete and functioning line of code."

Sheppard seemed to think about it for a few moments. "What? Like Tetris?"

Rodney rolled his eyes and the wraith looked confused. "No. Not like Tetris. We are talking advanced level computer coding and maths, Sheppard. It is not going to be solved by a retro video game."

"What is this...Tetris?" inquired the wraith, still nonplussed.

Sheppard wiped out his mobile phone (what the heck?! How had he managed to get an iPhone?! They weren't even out yet and he, Rodney, had pre-ordered one! This was not fair! Besides, how did he get any signal?), and selected an app.

"Its a game, y'see? You have to complete the lines with the falling blocks before they reach the top of the screen. Then it's game over."

The wraith looked intently at the game. Rodney was tempted to wonder if wraith ever played computer games. Ha! A wraith version of space invaders, now that would be-

"I believe Colonel Sheppard has found the solution."

"What, seriously? You wanna base this part of the coding on Tetris?!"

"There would need to be a few modifications, certainly, but the basic principal is similar enough to our current requirements to be potentially viable."

Sheppard smiled smugly. Rodney just fumed. That part of the coding was completed, leaving several billion strands of code to go.
                  Last edited by EllieVee; 07 May 2010, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Fourth story

The Last Morning

Spoiler:

"Come back to bed," came the sleepy murmur from behind her.

Larrin glanced over her shoulder and saw that John Sheppard had woken up. He had kicked off his sheets in his sleep, but she had gently tucked them over him as she left the bed. Now he had pushed them down again, leaving his upper body...enticingly naked. His eyes were half-open, but he patted the mattress beside of him in invitation.

Larrin considered it. It was still early. Very early. Time enough for --

Lovesick dimwit, she scolded herself, and firmly turned her back to him. She looked out the window, smelled the air that came in through the crack she had opened.

"It's too early to save the galaxy, Larrin," he told her. "You've barely slept."

She sniffed. "And who would be to blame for that , John Sheppard?"

"I don't remember you doing much to avoid me -- quite the opposite in fact..."

He sounded as pleased as he did amused, the bloody man! Larrin flushed scarlet, and was glad that her back was to him. Though he probably felt her heated cheeks through that bond. Damn, that Ancient bonding device. She'd had to bond the man, hadn't she, she couldn't leave well enough alone?

That bond was the only reason John- bloody -Sheppard had ended up in her bed. As if she'd been some fool teenager.

Well, maybe not the only reason, but at least a major contributing factor. How was she to keep a level head when he could set her heart racing just by smiling at her? Each time he stopped to watch her work, all his love for her leaked through the bond, warm and sweet and enough to buckle her knees.

And by now, the bloody man likely knew it.Burn her, how did the Ancient women put up with it?She suspected that she knew. They gave in to it. No, she thought crossly. Not now. Later, but not now.

"Can't you feel it?" Larrin muttered. "That...sense of wrongness in the air. Like there's a horde of Wraith coming closer. Something's going to happen today. Something bad."

"I feel it too. I've felt it since yesterday, but since I don't know what the hell it is yet, I don't see much point in wasting energy worrying about it. If there are Wraith, Atlantis will send for us."

"For you, you mean." It was so unfair. Not even Woolsey had the right to intervene between a woman and her lover, but Atlantis found John too useful to remember that detail.

"For me," he agreed. "But you go where I go now. Stop fretting and come here."

Larrin shook her head. Him and his mornings. He always wanted her in the mornings, when he woke. She could feel it through the bond and she'd already taken up the habit of obliging him. A pleasant way to start the day. But this morning everything felt wrong. Something terrible was about to happen, or was already happening, but she couldn't place it. If there had been Wraith or Asurans approaching, she might have been able to offer a vague direction, but as it was... Even the air felt foul when she drew it into her lungs. To touch the windowsill felt like touching something distorted. If she could put a direction to it, it would be looming over her shoulder, fingers already curling and closed about her neck. A Wraith Queen walking right at her; an Asuran, come to sate its foul lusts with it's probing hand. Or perhaps something even worse.

She shivered. Such fantasies she did not need. No use fearing the snap-tooth's bite before you even fall into the water.If only she could be sure that these particular bloody snap-tooths would stay in the water. She had been in Atlantis too long, she rebuked herself, and now she even feared the creatures in the sea that surrounded the city.

"It's the Last Battle," she said. "It's close, John. So very close."

"That's what we're feeling?" He asked her.

She nodded even as the certainty settled on her. The taste of something dark was reaching into the galaxy, into all of the universe, preparing to strike. She knew that the Travellers and Atlantis were as ready as it could be. She hoped the Fleet was ready. Damn, she hoped even the Wraith were ready.

But how could anyone be ready for this- this feeling of foreboding in the air that made her feel like retching.

Suddenly she was hauled from her feet. Despite herself she gave a little shriek, which of course John ignored. He'd dumped her over his shoulder, his arm firm about her legs.

She pushed her hands firmly against his back and raised her head, trying for as dignified a pose and as cool a voice as possible; "John Sheppard, you will put me --"

He put her down. Well, he tossed her down. Onto the bed. And before she could blink, he had landed beside her, pulling her in beneath him.

"I won't have you standing there digging yourself so deep in your worries that you can't climb back out," he said. His hands were already straightening her hair, lifting it carefully out of her face. "The Last Battle will come when it comes, no use worrying over it."

She tried to be cross with him. Treating her like that! She was a Traveller Commander. Tossing her onto the bed as if she'd been nothing more than --

Oh, but she did like to feel his weight over her. And she did like how he looked at her, somewhere between firm concern and love. She liked his bond in her head; to know that beneath his sometimes brusque manner, he would look at her almost reverently. He did love her. And he desired her.

So she tried to be cross with him, but failed miserably. When he kissed her she felt the last of her attempted-crossness wink out like a snuffed candle. She snaked her arms about his neck and let him, replace the foulness which had so troubled her.

"Much better," chuckled the insufferable man.

At which Larrin's indignation sparked and made a conscious effort to reassemble her wits. Lovesick fool. Witless like a young girl set on breeding. Breeding?! Perhaps not a word she should be putting back in her head right then.

She pressed her hands to his chest and shoved.We really need to work on your attitude, John Sheppard," Larrin managed. "When I say --"

"Hush," he interrupted, and shook his head. What stopped her talking was how he touched her lips with a forefinger. Then he let that hand trail lightly over her jaw, down her body; beneath her ribs, down her side to scoop up one of her legs. "What if you're right, then?"

She frowned. He bent back to kiss her raised thigh, then crooked that leg about himself. Her hands were still to his chest, but no longer pushing.

"What if The End is coming?"

"We should prepare --"

"All is as ready as it can be Larrin. Atlantis will call us if they need us. Until then --"

"Until then --" she began, in another attempt to be firm with him.

"Until then," he growled softly, his eyes fierce as they met hers, and she silenced. "Until then," he repeated in a softer voice, "I don't bloody care about The End."

His eyes, his voice, his body so close, and that bloody bond burning like a beacon in her head ... Larrin felt as if she was glowing or melting. It was most unfair, that he could affect her that way.

"Call me a lovesick idiot and throw me to the Wraith," she whispered.

"Not bloody likely," John grinned at her. She was aware that he probably knew through the bond how both her body and mind seemed to freeze up and grow all fuzzy at moments like these. "I just don't want you worrying over what you can't change, Larrin. Besides, you were getting cold standing there at the window."

He was right. Woolsey would send for them when they were needed, and that last battle would come when it came, and Larrin could do little to stop it.

Until then, there was John, whom she loved, and whose utter lack of proper respect for her somehow only made her feel his returned love more keenly.

Who knew if they would survive this Last Battle? What if this was their last morning together... He was her lover now, and he would not outlive her long, they both knew that. But what if tomorrow, her only company would be her own tears..? This small cabin they found on a remote planet, was all they had right now.

There was, Larrin decided, nowhere else in the world she would rather have been at that moment, and nothing she wanted as much as her John Sheppard. As for the bond, it was a wondrous thing, alive in her head, and the emotions that reflected through it, like a kaleidoscope of colours to light up her world, were making her giddy again.

"No one's throwing you anywhere, Larrin," John said, between landing gentle kisses on her face, over her neck and shoulders and breasts. "Not until I'm done with you. The Wraith will have to wait for their turn."

She giggled and tapped his nose to catch his attention. "Might it be a long wait?"

"What? Mm, yes. Most definitely. In fact, if any Wraith show up knocking on the --"

There was a loud rap on the door, and then Ronon's voice calling; "Sheppard! A call from Atlantis, it's Woolsey."

John grew very still. Then his face contorted, and he reached over Larrin's head to where he had stashed his side arm, far in beneath the pillows.

"Don't shoot the messenger," Larrin reminded him, halting his hand by a light touch on his wrist.

John sighed. He raised his voice for a moment; "Tell them I'll be there shortly."

He was so morose as he made to climb up and leave her. On an impulse, Larrin locked her arms and legs about him to pull him back down, kissing him slowly as she did.

"Atlantis," she said breathlessly when she pulled back, "has no authority over me John, unless I permit it. You, John, aren't going anywhere until I say so. And if Woolsey doesn't like it, he can bloody well come down here and slap me in chains. Is that clear?"

For a moment John hesitated. But then his response confirmed beyond any doubt that that was very clear. "Tell Woolsey I'll come when I'm ready!" He yelled back at the door.
                    Last edited by EllieVee; 07 May 2010, 05:08 PM.

Comment

A note from your Secretary: from hereon, please take discussion to this thread. Leave this one for the stories.

Comment

Fifth story:

Manifestation

Spoiler:
                        Author's notes

Not an original format, but my Atlantis take on it

Not truly a ship, more strong friendship

The door slides open with John on his bed still typing on his laptop, more often slamming the keyboard in frustration.

"Still at it, huh?" Elizabeth asks from the door tapping on her tablet pc.

"Yea, I just don't know what to do," John says in frustration looking up at Elizabeth.

"Don't worry, it'll come to you," Elizabeth reassures him meeting his eyes with a warm smile. "Anyways, just wanted to check that you'll be ready at 0500."

"Don't worry, I'm never late unless it's for fashionable reasons," he replies with a teasing smile.

"Don't be late," Elizabeth warns him with a wag of her finger as she walks out.

Teyla browses through the dresses, not for the first time. In fact, this has probably been the fiftieth time. She starts again from the beginning. Her door opens and Elizabeth walks in.

"Hello, Teyla," Elizabeth greets her without looking up from her laptop as she punches some checklist.

"Hello, Dr. Weir," Teyla responds running her hand through one of the dresses.

Elizabeth looks up and notices that Teyla has not picked one out yet and asks, "Ah, I see, still can't decide on what to wear yet, huh?"

"No, I am unsure of proper attire for this occasion."

"Here, lemme help you out with my expertise of Earthwear," Elizabeth says with a smile. She starts to help Teyla pick out an appropriate dress. She sifts through the colors to find one proper for the occasion and narrows it down eventually to one of Teyla's figure and taste.

As Elizabeth is about to leave, Teyla grabs her shoulder and smiles, "Thank you, Dr. Weir."

"You're welcome, just make sure you're at the gate," Elizabeth says as she briefly pauses to acknowledge her friend's gratitude before going out of the door.

Ronon prowls on the edges of the mat circling the two marines. Then he suddenly pounces on them dealing hard blows putting them to the ground. The two marines groan in pain rolling around on the mat. Elizabeth clears her throat causing Ronon to turn around. He walks over to her with a slight grunt which she takes for a Ronon greeting.

"Hello, Ronon. I just came by to check that you'll be ready," Elizabeth prompts.

"Yea," Ronon replies, punctual as always.

"Good," Elizabeth says having gotten used to the man of few words. She remembers Teyla's difficulties and asks, "You need any help with an outfit?"

Ronon stares as he says, "Sheppard took care of it."

"Ok, good," she says. Then she asks with concern staring back, "You're gonna be ok?"

Ronon blinks slightly in surprise and steels himself again responding, "Yea, I just need to hit something."

Elizabeth smiles at him knowingly and backs off saying, "Ok, I'll let you get back to it."

Rodney tries to put the book back in the box. It just won't go in despite his efforts. The door opens and scares the pants off him causing him to drop the book.

"Hi, Rodney," Elizabeth greets him.

"Hey, Elizabeth," Rodney says as he picks up the book.

"You're gonna be ok here?" she asks him while punching some keys on her tablet. She looks up at him awaiting an answer.

"Yeah, I'll be fine, almost done," he says waving his arms to show his progress. "Just gonna keep working."

"Ok, well, the reason the book doesn't fit there is because all the books go in that box," Elizabeth tells him pointing at the box. A giant label in front reads "Books."

"Oh," Rodney says with sudden realization. "Well, that's just great," he says as he dumps the books from the box he accidentally stuffed the books in.

"Want some help?" Elizabeth asks.

"No, I want to do this by myself," he says. "But thanks anyways."

"Rodney," Elizabeth starts. But she stops herself knowing that he wants to be alone with his response. "Ok, you're gonna be ready in time though?"

"Ahh, don't worry," he tells her waving one hand in dismissal. "I've had my coffee, and I'll be ready in no time."

"Good, wouldn't be the same without you," she tells him with a slight smirk.

"Thanks," he replies with a smile at the compliment.

John rests his hands on the railing on the balcony in the control room overlooking Atlantis.

"It really is beautiful," someone says behind him slightly startling him. He turns around as Elizabeth walks over and stands next to him.

John looks back out at the sprawling city as the sun is lighting up the horizon. "It sure is."

They both watch the sunrise without speaking a word so as not to break the spell. The light casts shadows on the city and elsewhere, causing it to brighten in the spots where the sun's rays strike the beautiful city.

Elizabeth puts her hand over John's as she asks John, "John, promise me something."

John is slightly surprised by the contact and looks up at her still staring at the sun which starts to light up her face. "What?" he asks softly.

"Promise me that you'll come here once a week," she asks. "Just promise."

John doesn't know what else to say but, "I promise."

"Good," she says as she briefly closes her eyes and breathes in the morning. "It really is beautiful."

"It sure is," he echoes softly.

"Colonel, they're ready at the gate," someone says behind him.

"Ok, I'll be right there."

Teyla has on a black dress complimenting the suits Ronon and Rodney have on. John adjusts his jacket as he walks to them in front of the open gate. He asks Rodney, "All of her stuff is already through?"

"Yea," Rodney answers gloomily.

"Did you finish the uh --" Ronon starts to ask.

"The eulogy?" Teyla finishes.

"Yeah," John answers them sadly. John rubs his pocket where he has it. The other three acknowledge the sorrow and walk towards the gate. John lingers watching them step through the gate. He turns around and looks up at the balcony on the control room that overlooks the gate room. Elizabeth is smiling down at him with the sun's brightness surrounding her. Her image fades as the sun shines in filling the room.

"Goodbye, Elizabeth."
                        Last edited by EllieVee; 07 May 2010, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Story six

Diary of a Crazy Medic

Spoiler:
                          The ringing pounded against my ear; I opened my eyes to see my own phone screaming at me. It was another day on Destiny, another day I had to face him. I pushed my blonde hair out of the way as I got up, the stale air permeated my senses. This day wasn't going to be easy, with everyone still divided by Rush's mutiny. This is when I begin to worry, to worry about what will happen, to me, to it.

I got up that morning unsure of myself, that wasn't something new. I was expected to be this brilliant doctor that could cure the flu. They just don't understand that I am not the right person for the job. So I placed my hand on my belly, trying to feel it grow inside of me. I felt myself getting a little dizzy, but I ignored it. I couldn't afford to think about it all the time. People would start to notice things and I am not ready to let them know. Why should I? This is about me, a private matter, it's not like he would understand anyway.

So I reported to what was the infirmary. It was the same old place with beds and what little medical equipment we had scattered about. Was I the only one worried about the shortage of supplies that we have? Wray seems to busy trying to undermine the Colonel while Dr. Rush is too busy playing with the ship. The Colonel, God knows what he is thinking about half the time.

I sat at the table and began looking over the list of medical equipment that I had, then he came in with his stubborn presence penetrating every nerve in my body. My heart rate increased, I felt the urge to run, or yell at him. It had to be the hormones, your body goes through a rollercoaster in times like these and I was no exception. I fought hard, going back into my training, to keep calm and cool headed.

"I need you to take a look at Rush," he said with his scratchy voice, "I don't think he is recovering from the surgery." I turned around wishing to scream at him for being such a hot headed idiot. Then I felt the nauseating dizziness attack me from my womb. I tried to cover it, but the Colonel managed to notice it. "Are you okay?" he asked with genuine concern in his voice. He wouldn't be that caring if he knew what was growing inside of me. I felt a lump build inside of me, so I swallowed attempting to push it down into my stomach.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I told, "I'll keep an eye on him." The Colonel did not look satisfied, but he would be a hypocrite to push the issue. Every time I give him a checkup he acts as if it is offensive to even question him about his health. What else do you expect from a man who would cheat on his wife? That though made me sick to my stomach, what did I get myself into?

He finally left; I thought I was going to end up kicking him out of that room. But now I had to see someone else, the only person who seems to listen. He was the only man alive that seems to be able to understand me. He was also the only one who knew about me and the Colonel. He walked in holding his computer against his chest. Those caring narrow eyes of his beamed through his glasses as he came in for a regular check up. Most women would overlook him, with his receding hairline, but I didn't. I saw through that, he listened to me babble about everything. Some men just don't understand that we need to get our frustration out. They don't have to comment on everything, they just have to listen. And he knew this.

"Hello Lieutenant Tamara," he spoke with his kind and understanding voice as I gathered my stethoscope and other items that I needed. He looked a little nervous, he knew what was coming but he didn't seem to protest. I never really found myself attracted to Asians before, but there was something about him. I got my stethoscope and placed the ear pieced gently into my ears. I bent over and placed my left hand on his lap. He had such a strong lap for a scientist; I couldn't help myself but to slightly squeeze my hand around him and smile.

"Okay, I need you to breathe in slowly and then exhale," I told him as I went under his shirt from the bottom instead of the collar like customary. His heart pounded into my ears, he was nervous. "Good, everything sounds good," I said, "you know, you are the only one that I can talk too. Some of the other guys are just too busy playing practical jokes on each other. I swear they are all still a bunch of boys who need their mothers to watch after them."

He continued to breathe in and out as I slowly slid my left hand further from his knee. I needed to; I had to listen to his back. As I shifted around I could smell his minty fresh breath, I never told anyone about it. His lips looked so inviting, but I would scare to poor guy away if I ever gave in. Such a nice man, he would make a good father. Then I realized that I was still going through the motions of it growing inside of me. "I don't understand why Colonel Young and Rush have to be at odds, they can't seem to get along and it is tearing the ship apart. That man can never understand anything; he can't even see the obvious things that are in front of him. How can Young," I stopped myself, He's my CO a Colonel not a friend, "Colonel Young be in command when he can't even understand the simplest things about me, about everyone else."

The Scientist just sat there taking it all in. I beamed my ophthalmoscope into his eyes and mouth; I felt his throat and asked him the usual medical questions. He gave the usual responses, healthy. The last thing was to check his ears, I liked this part. I would just lean close to his face and turn his head slightly towards me. His face only inches from my chest, the fact that he didn't resist or comment had to mean something. He had to be interested, if only this amazing man would say something. He barely would speak and when he did he only spoke a few words. If finally backed off from him, he seemed relieved, I was relieved myself. I managed to vent something, but his check up wouldn't be for another week. I couldn't wait that long.

"You're all fine," I said, and then he got up and began to walk away. "Thanks," he spoke. I couldn't let him leave me, no. I walked right up to him and grabbed him by the arm. He seemed surprised as he turned around to face me. "I am going to eat breakfast soon, do you want to come?" I asked him as I stepped closer to him. He had to give in; if he wasn't interested he wouldn't have been sending all of those signals. I have made my position clear to him. He didn't seem to know how to respond, so I decided to respond for him, "Great, so I'll see you there at the first breakfast shift."

He left and I was alone, back to taking inventory of what little medical supplies we had left. I closed my eyes and remembered how his breath smelled, the feel of his thigh in my hand. I imagined how he must have felt staring right into my chest. Did we have a chance? If only we could spend a month on a planet, I would stay there with him and raise my child away from this mess.
                          Last edited by EllieVee; 07 May 2010, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Story Seven

Qualities of a Leader

Spoiler:
                            Woolsey sat with the report on his desk. More deaths that had to be reported, and no doubt, lies told to cover them up.

The latest casualty was Alicia Vega. Such a promising young officer, cut down too soon.

And under his command.

Richard didn’t know how to handle it. Since coming to Atlantis, several military and scientists had died under his command. It didn’t matter to Wolsey that it wasn’t his fault, or that no matter who had given the orders, the same thing would have happened.

It was the nature of command, and it was something Richard had always thought he was capable of.

There was a knock at the door, and Woolsey broke from his trance , looking up.

It was colonel Sheppard.

“Can I come in?”

“Yes, of course colonel. Please, sit,” Woolsey gestured, his voice retaining its normal tones of polite authority. “Was there anything I can do for you?”

Sheppard made his tight smile, like he did wherever there was something bothering him. His hands were in his pockets, and he refused the seat.

“Yes, there is actually. I have noticed, over the last couple of months, that you’re becoming kind of....detached...from the members of the expedition,” Sheppard said. “I know you are IOA, but that doesn’t mean you can’t integrate,” the colonel finished candidly.

Woolsey fought back some panic inside; was he that separated from his people?

“I thought I was becoming more part of the team,” he said to Sheppard.

Sheppard shook his head gently. “You’re too aloof, too above them. Out here, normal protocols don’t always work,” Sheppard replied.

“A good leader should remain detached from those below them...” Woolsey said.

“A good leader knows when to be detached, and when not to,” Sheppard replied sternly, but without malice in his tone.

Woolsey thought on this. It was so easy for Sheppard to say these things, everyone respected him, would follow his orders, would follow him into any situation if he thought they could win. But he didn’t know how it made Woolsey feel......wait! He knew exactly what Woolsey was feeling, surely? He couldn’t have always been loved this way?

“Colonel, can I talk to you? In confidence?” Woolsey’s whole tone of voice and body language changed, becoming more repentant, more embarrassed.

Sheppard shut the door. “If you want,” the colonel took a seat; it was obvious Woolsey was serious, and even Sheppard knew when to follow suit.

“You...you seem to make it so easy,” Richard said uncertainly.

“What?” Sheppard asked in genuine puzzlement.

“Command. You can deal with the casualties, with sending men and women into situations they might not come back from,” Richard said in a jumble. “You, Colonel Carter, Elizabeth Weir. You could all do it. And you had their respect,”

Sheppard smiled slightly. “Is that what you think? That I came in here and everyone liked me?” Sheppard confirmed what Woolsey had just been thinking. “You’ve read all the mission reports. It took time. I showed them I could do those things. I showed that I was willing to do anything I ordered them to.

“Elizabeth listened as well as gave orders. She prided herself on knowing something about every member of the expedition. She liked to be able to start a conversation, have some common ground. That’s why we loved her.” Sheppard said.

Woolsey nodded slowly. “I...suppose I could try to get to know people a little better.”

“Being a leader doesn’t always mean you have to keep your distance. Now, by no means put yourself in a position that would lessen your authority; never put them in a position where you can take from them.”

Sheppard stood, and looked round the office; he picked up some of Woolsey’s ornaments, pictures, before placing them back down.

“Does it get any easier?” Richard asked.

“Does what?” Sheppard looked over, knowing full well what the IOA suit meant, but also knowing that Woolsey had to say it himself.

“Writing the...the letters,” Woolsey turned his laptop round. “How can you send them out knowing that these may have to be written?”

“Because it’s part of being a leader. It’s one thing being able to tell people what to do when the repercussions won’t haunt you at night; but a true leader knows when they have to give those commands. They also know that they have to live with the results.”

“I don’t think I’ll ever be able to. Especially if become more attached, as you said.” Richard replied, staring past Sheppard for a moment at the Expedition members, going about their duties, oblivious to their commander’s lack of self-belief.

“If you don’t, their sacrifices won’t mean anything to you. They’ll just be numbers. It’s when you know them, and mourn them, but can still send them out to do the job that has to be done, that you can be a leader,”

Woolsey tried to speak, but just swallowed. Sheppard decided a little bit of honesty couldn’t hurt. “And the way you cut yourself up over them, you are well on your way there,”

Richard smiled slightly, Sheppard’s words giving him a little confidence.

“What should I say? In the letters?”

“Whatever it is about their deaths that makes you saddened the most. But above all, let them know their loved one’s didn’t die in vain,” Sheppard said, still standing. “But don’t pity them when you write them. Honour their sacrifice. They gave their lives freely for a bigger cause – be proud of them, not sorry for them”

“Is that how Elizabeth and Carter wrote them?”

“I couldn’t tell you. It’s how I wrote mine. And I remember the name and rank of everyone I have written.” The colonel said back. Woolsey mused on this.

“When was the last time you wrote one?”

“Ten minutes ago, for Alicia Vega,” Sheppard replied without hesitation. Woolsey was a little surprised.

“You mean...you still write, even though the expedition leader does?”

“For every military casualty, no matter what nation. It’s the least I can do.”

Sheppard walked to the door, hoping that his words had helped.

“One last thing, Mr Woolsey. Build some self-belief, and soon. The people here needs a leader who can believe in them, and to do that he has to believe in himself, and not second guess his own decisions,” Sheppard nodded.

“Thank you, Colonel Sheppard,” Woolsey nodded. “You’ve helped me, quite a bit. I will try my best.”

Sheppard looked at the man; he wasn’t as bad as the colonel had allowed himself to believe, even judging on past occasions. And for Woolsey to open his worries to – technically – a subordinate, and ask for help, that took guts that Sheppard didn’t think Woolsey even knew he had.

“I think you can call me John, Mr Woolsey,” Sheppard allowed. Being on first name terms with the beloved colonel Sheppard couldn’t hurt with the men.

“Richard,” Woolsey replied, smiling. “Thank you, John. I’ll try and get these finished now,”

Sheppard nodded himself, then walked from the office.

Woolsey had just started typing again, when Sheppard popped his head back in the door.

“Eh...one last thing that will help you get instant respect,” the colonel said, a slightly mischievous smile across his face.

“Yes?”

“Get Chuck’s name right when you talk to him.” Sheppard smiled fully, and then left again.

Woolsey chuckled to himself slightly, then returned to his sad task with much more pride, and less pity, in the people he was writing for.

Comment

Story Eight

Under a blue moon

Spoiler:
                              P4X-715

It had been an uneventful mission – until now. Confused, he looked around him. He sat in a small boat. All around him, there were enormous, lush trees, birds singing and flying from branch to branch, colorful vines hanging down and dipping into the clear, blue water. The boat was rocking gently as it slowly floated across the sparkling lake. The moon cast its mirror image onto the rippling waves. It was a beautiful night, but the most beautiful thing around was sitting there, right in front of him. Jack O’Neill couldn't believe his luck. She was there, actually in the boat with him. He had dreamed of this moment for so long and now it had come ... He had no idea what to do next.

Suddenly, from out of nowhere, music started to play. Deep male voices hummed softly in the background. Jack ignored it all. His eyes were on her only. Strangely captivated, he couldn’t move a muscle when two hands parted the vines right next to him and a familiar face looked out at them. Daniel popped up and began to sing.

There you see her,
                              Sitting there across the way,
                              She don't got a lot to say,
                              But there's something about her,
                              And you don't know why,
                              But you're dying to try,
                              You wanna kiss the girl

Next, Teal’c and Hammond appeared from behind a couple of bushes and took up the song along with Daniel, snapping their fingers in tune with the melody.

Yes, you want her,
                              Look at her, you know you do,
                              Possible she wants you, too,
                              There is one way to ask her,
                              It don't take a word,
                              Not a single word,
                              Go on and kiss the girl
                              Sing with me now. (They were singing aside to … some large ferns ? What the…???)

Walter, Siler and Doc Fraser, one after the other, emerged from out of the ferns, joined the other three men and picked up the song as well.

Sha la la la la la
                              My oh my
                              Looks like the boy’s too shy
                              Ain't gonna kiss the girl
                              Sha la la la la la
                              Ain't that sad? Ain't it a shame?
                              Too bad, he gonna miss the girl.

He watched her as the music played on softly in the background. The way her hair swayed when she moved. The way the moonlight seemed to be reflected in her deep, blue eyes when she smiled at him. Had he ever wanted to kiss her more? To feel the touch of her soft, supple lips on his?

Daniel broke into song again.

Now's your moment,
                              Ya ya ya (boomed Teal’c’s voice)
                              Floating in a blue lagoon,
                              Ya ya ya (still Teal’c, still booming)
                              Boy, you better do it soon,
                              No time will be better
                              Ya Ya Ya Ya Ya (Daniel, Hammond, Siler and Teal’c, each intoning a "ya")
                              She don't say a word
                              And she won't say a word
                              Until you kiss the girl

Sha la la la la la (The "Sha la la la la"s sung by the "SGC - chorus")
                              Don't be scared
                              You got the mood prepared
                              Go on and kiss the girl

No!!! Don’t kiss the girl! (A hollow, snaky voice suddenly interrupted.)

Shut up, Martouf! (accompanied by the sound of a fist punching a weak, dimpled chin.)

You got the mood prepared (the “SGC – chorus” again)
                              Go on and kiss the girl

Sha la la la la la
                              Don't stop now
                              Don't try to hide it how
                              You want to kiss the girl

Sha la la la la la
                              Float along
                              And listen to the song
                              The song says kiss the girl
                              Sha la la la la la
                              The music play
                              Do what the Music say
                              You got to kiss the girl
                              (Daniel) You got to kiss the girl
                              (Fraser)You've got to kiss the girl
                              (Walter)You wanna kiss the girl
                              (Siler) You've got to kiss the girl
                              (Teal’c) Go on and kiss the girl.

Slowly, the music faded away, and the other members of the SGC disappeared behind the greenery one by one, and were gone from his sight.

Jack looked over at Sam. They were alone. She turned to face him with an inviting smile. He leaned forward, their lips were about to meet and ....

Startled, Jack sat up in bed. He blinked several times and reached for the bedside lamp. The room lit up. Looking around carefully to make sure that nobody was going to pop out from somewhere and start singing, he took a deep breath and finally shook his head.

"Oh, for cryin’ out loud! … I sure wish somebody would remind me not to watch old Disney movies with Daniel and Teal’c before bedtime, … no matter how much the big guy likes them."

With a sigh he switched off the lamp and went back to sleep and ... to his dream?
                              THE END

Okay, don't hit me! I know it was silly, but it was one of those S/J moments and I felt like silly. Besides, it makes for interesting mental pictures. *LOL*

Disclaimer: MGM owns the characters. I'm just borrowing them for my amusement. The song "Kiss The Girl" is from the Walt Disney movie "The Little Mermaid", Music by Alan Menken and Lyrics written by Howard Ashman. I'm using this song without permission and I hope nobody will mind, since it's just for fun, anyway.

For those of you not familiar with the movie --- so, yeah, for no one, really --- this is the part where Sebastian suggests that Eric wants to kiss Ariel but he is too shy to do so, and that he should just go ahead and "kiss the girl" to see if she likes him too. In a slight change from the movie, my version got a little surprise guest star and two more lines added to the song.

By now, this is something like 11 or 12 years old, but hopefully still funny.

Comment

Working...
                              X