ark (AKA base story line) training.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ark (AKA base story line) training.

this is a thread where people can give their advise on how to do arks and how to improve. anybody can take part and the more veteran stargate writers will know more then me.

just put in arks of any nature; wraith war, gou'ld war, achen war, reaper war; it really doesn't matter what it's about, as long as its stargate. Anybody can put things in.

i'm putting this in because some people have a hard time getting into the grove of things, this isn't only fo arks, but also for ship specs as most people do fanwank stuff all the time.

hope that this thread helps people

Experiment number: four, four, two
    Why Lord has Paint foresaken my signature?
    sigpic

ill be first to post. im not an expert but im a bit good. if you want pointers for wraith war stuff go to either Stargate : Wraith Wars or.... the one Traveler64 made. his is better but mine is focused on ship-ship battles and ground battles rather than T64s method (although his is better :L )

just speak t me if you want any help. im sure S09119 could also be a big help to you guys
    sigpic

Comment

i'm alright at writing, i wrote my first book a few months ago, this is just a place where you put stories and people will help out with the finer details. cause a few of the arks i've read aren't really that stargate, modern slang gets put in when a wraith is speaking, or gou'ld.
      sigpic

Comment

This should be in the fan fic section.

Continuing Stargate Virtual Fleet Link Below

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=63923

Comment

Originally posted by dboy-2007 View Post
          This should be in the fan fic section.
          are you blind?

It IS in the fan fic section.

Comment

where did you think i put it? (actually i might have put it in the general section by mistake, a mod must have moved it, if so, thankyou moderator!)
            sigpic

Comment

wow thread died *does CPR*
              its alive !
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Thor View Post
                wow thread died *does CPR*
                its alive !
                Behold!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Story_arc

Basically a story arc (not ark) is a story taking one situation, and transforming it into another through a series of events. It can be short (like an episode arc of most Stargate Episodes) or it can be long (like the Asgard's genetic problems)

The pacing of said arc depends on what's going on and time passing. there are many things you have to consider. If your story takes place over years, people change, they form relationships and bonds. They change opinions, they grow older and not necessarily wiser.

The best thing i can recommend is to think about your story beforehand and work out the major plot points you want to express. that would be your MAIN ARC. (Think of B5 and the Shadow War, other things were happening while the main story was still going.)

it all comes down to personal preference in the end, though i do suggest considering more than just the technical details. Look at a 304, why doesn't Earth just hook up a billion Naquadria reactors to power the shields instead of having fighters? Simple, fighters are visually appealing

I also think a healthy mix of character arcs and plot arcs keeps a story entertaining. If it's all character, it feels like a soap opera. if it's all plot, it feels like a steak without sauce, like the essence is there but the flavor and spice isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Aragon101/Loneranger-1 View Post
                  Behold!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Story_arc

Basically a story arc (not ark) is a story taking one situation, and transforming it into another through a series of events. It can be short (like an episode arc of most Stargate Episodes) or it can be long (like the Asgard's genetic problems)

The pacing of said arc depends on what's going on and time passing. there are many things you have to consider. If your story takes place over years, people change, they form relationships and bonds. They change opinions, they grow older and not necessarily wiser.

The best thing i can recommend is to think about your story beforehand and work out the major plot points you want to express. that would be your MAIN ARC. (Think of B5 and the Shadow War, other things were happening while the main story was still going.)
                  i rememebr no Shadow War in the SG1 or SGA series...did i miss this

it all comes down to personal preference in the end, though i do suggest considering more than just the technical details. Look at a 304, why doesn't Earth just hook up a billion Naquadria reactors to power the shields instead of having fighters? Simple, fighters are visually appealing

I also think a healthy mix of character arcs and plot arcs keeps a story entertaining. If it's all character, it feels like a soap opera. if it's all plot, it feels like a steak without sauce, like the essence is there but the flavor and spice isn't.
                  true all true except a billion naqhadria generators would be wayyyy to expensive to make
                  sigpic

Comment

i rememebr no Shadow War in the SG1 or SGA series...did i miss this
                    i was talking about babylon 5. not SG1 or SGA. SGA had less of a main driving plot than SG1, SG1 started out the Goa'uld and the main focus was defending Earth and fighting the Goa'uld while exploring. the system lords set up in Season 1/2 continued on.

true all true except a billion naqhadria generators would be wayyyy to expensive to make
                    and a 304 isn't? Why bother using all those materials and expensive crystals and yadda yadda yadda when you can build 20 naquadria generators that can run in tandem in one of the 304s turning it into an invincible weapon of doom.

another part of arcs, if you have a planned arc, you can have great control over scaling up on both sides. So if one side gets a higher tech, you can set up before hand how they get it, and how the other side counters it.

Again, Babylon 5 is good for this. Look at the White Star. it was introduced early, and later it becomes a mainstay of the fleet and one of the only ships that can take on the Shadows due to its Vorlon tech.

an example of scaling up and keeping them scaled up was the Borg in TNG and First Contact (god i hated how the Borg were treated in Voyager) One Borg Cube was enough to take out most of Starfleet at Wolf 359, and in First Contact, even with all their upgraded tech, the Federation STILL had trouble dealing with a Cube until Picard used the knowledge from his assimilation.

Comment

Originally posted by Aragon101/Loneranger-1 View Post
                      i was talking about babylon 5. not SG1 or SGA. SGA had less of a main driving plot than SG1, SG1 started out the Goa'uld and the main focus was defending Earth and fighting the Goa'uld while exploring. the system lords set up in Season 1/2 continued on.
                      ah i dont watch B5

and a 304 isn't? Why bother using all those materials and expensive crystals and yadda yadda yadda when you can build 20 naquadria generators that can run in tandem in one of the 304s turning it into an invincible weapon of doom.

another part of arcs, if you have a planned arc, you can have great control over scaling up on both sides. So if one side gets a higher tech, you can set up before hand how they get it, and how the other side counters it.

Again, Babylon 5 is good for this. Look at the White Star. it was introduced early, and later it becomes a mainstay of the fleet and one of the only ships that can take on the Shadows due to its Vorlon tech.

an example of scaling up and keeping them scaled up was the Borg in TNG and First Contact (god i hated how the Borg were treated in Voyager) One Borg Cube was enough to take out most of Starfleet at Wolf 359, and in First Contact, even with all their upgraded tech, the Federation STILL had trouble dealing with a Cube until Picard used the knowledge from his assimilation.
                      true but 20 naqhuadria generators wouldn't turn it inot a invincible weapon of doom. not even a ZPM can do that. id say about 100+ might equal a ZPM so a bout 200-300 would do that.

anyway

i got your point i was making a sarcastic response to your

"why dont we hook up 20 billion naqhuadria generators to it" question

20 billion more expensive than a 304 as Naqhuadria is EXTREMLY rare
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X