This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teal'c and Sensing Symbiotes:

I am currently in the process of watching episode 8 of season 5 entitled "the Tomb." In this episode, they are stuck inside of a tomb where a little critter with a snake in its head is running around trying to eat some fools. Now eventually the Goa'uld gets free and slips inside one of the Russians. When they find this out, Sam points out that Teal'c can't be taken as a host while he carries a larva symbiote. She also then mentions that Teal'c doesn't sense the presence of a symbiote in Carter, so it has to be one of the other four people.

Now before this, Teal'c never felt the presence of symbiotes.

Now, I realize this was done for story purposes, but it's a huge "retcon" that I can't remember them explaining. When I think about it, I wonder if this might be an effect that Jaffa get from communicating with their symbiotes in kel no'reem.

Any thoughts?
    Hail the gods and goddesses of Ásatrú!

Spoiler:
    I hate Sci-Fi, instead of ending series when it comes to a point where they are beating a dead horse, they want to end the series right! While they are still on top! How dare Sci-Fi end series' with good memories? -_-'

Spoiler:
    General Nick Fury: What are you smiling about?
    Hawkeye: All this. What do you think? A few years back, S.H.I.E.L.D. was just you, me and a drinks tab trying to bring down the Soviet Union. Now you're sending thunder gods up against aliens and telling Captain freakin' America what to do. It's just too cool for words.
    General Nick Fury: It is kinda cool, ain't it?
    -- Origin of my nickname, from Ultimates Volume 2.

Retcon
    Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

it's 'oops, we forgot canon again' time

sam is the only one that can sense symbiotes, they just forgot that in this eps. now teal'c can't be taken over by one unless they first evict Junior, but that's about it for him (and this is pre-tretonin)
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
        it's 'oops, we forgot canon again' time

sam is the only one that can sense symbiotes, they just forgot that in this eps. now teal'c can't be taken over by one unless they first evict Junior, but that's about it for him (and this is pre-tretonin)
        Yes - I read that Christopher Judge told the writers that Jaffa couldn't sense symbiotes, before an episode where Teal'c suddenly could do that (the episode with the linvris, I think), but that they said he remembered incorrectly
        My ships: sigpic
        (Sam/Jack, Sam/Rodney, Sam/Martouf/Lantash, Sam/Cam, Sam/Daniel, Sam/Janet)

Sam/Jack, Sam/Cam, Sam/Daniel, Sam/Janet, and Sam/Rodney smilies made by the talented zuz - THANKS. Smilies merged into one sig by the awesome Nolamom - THANKS!

Comment

Just a little goof on the writer's part. It happens all the time.
          "Right now, you do not strike me as someone who could intimidate a 10-year-old out of his lunch money, much less run an interstellar empire."

Comment

We know that hosts and former hosts can sense symbiotes, likely due to the Naquadah. Can Jaffa detect the presence of symbiotes as Ishta indicates with Teal'c as they don't blend so Jaffa have no Naquadah in their blood.

Comment

I think it was shown in a few episodes that Teal'c could detect symbiots, although I'm not sure.

Continuing Stargate Virtual Fleet Link Below

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=63923

Comment

Originally posted by dboy-2007 View Post
                I think it was shown in a few episodes that Teal'c could detect symbiots, although I'm not sure.
                i do beleive it was, cant find a specific example but i do believe they can,

they meaning all jaffa

Originally posted by CFAmerica View Post
                I am currently in the process of watching episode 8 of season 5 entitled "the Tomb." In this episode, they are stuck inside of a tomb where a little critter with a snake in its head is running around trying to eat some fools. Now eventually the Goa'uld gets free and slips inside one of the Russians. When they find this out, Sam points out that Teal'c can't be taken as a host while he carries a larva symbiote. She also then mentions that Teal'c doesn't sense the presence of a symbiote in Carter, so it has to be one of the other four people.

Now before this, Teal'c never felt the presence of symbiotes.

Now, I realize this was done for story purposes, but it's a huge "retcon" that I can't remember them explaining. When I think about it, I wonder if this might be an effect that Jaffa get from communicating with their symbiotes in kel no'reem.

Any thoughts?
                http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=63985

so if we read the thread we come to the conclusion that he can and he cant

Teal'c, a Jaffa, did not demonstrate this ability to sense the presence of naquadah in another being until 5.08 "The Tomb."
                http://www.stargate-sg1-solutions.co...biote#Naquadah
                People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint... it happens to kinda look like the name 'Jeremy Bearimy' in cursive English.

Comment

Working...
                X